Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU EGM

Options
  • 23-01-2012 10:23pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In your student emails, but just said I'd post it here to try and spread the word as much as possible.
    Attention all students,

The University of Limerick Students’ Union will be having an Extraordinary General Meeting Wednesday Week 2 (Feb 1st) at 2pm. Venue is yet to be confirmed.

It is vital that all students endeavour to attend. We need a minimum number of 200 attendees to meet quorum.

Should you wish to put forward an item for discussion at this meeting, the deadline for receipt of motions is this coming Friday (Jan 27th).

I will be in touch regarding venue later this week.

Kind Regards,

Kelly O’Brien
    Communications Officer
    Oifigeach Cumarsáide

Troubling times ahead me thinks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Wonder what its for, seems strange to have have an EGM and ask for proposals. I always thought EGM were just to discuss one important issue that couldn't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

There's always a time period given for other submissions for a General Meeting.

What is surprising is given the time frame they've given for submissions, the maximum amount of time between the circulation of the agenda and the meeting is very short.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Wonder what its for, seems strange to have have an EGM and ask for proposals. I always thought EGM were just to discuss one important issue that couldn't wait.

I've a feeling it's going to be about the SU's finances... especially following today's announcement...
    Polar Ice wrote: »
    There's always a time period given for other submissions for a General Meeting.

What is surprising is given the time frame they've given for submissions, the maximum amount of time between the circulation of the agenda and the meeting is very short.

Yeah, it is very short notice, I think some serious sh1t is about to go down... like maybe the C&S working group might have a report, or else they just want to clarify the SU's standing following what's just happened.

EDIT: An extract from SU President Derek Daly's blog from earlier on:

Extraordinary General Meeting (week 2) to discuss motions on the removal of 2 sabbatical positions (Vice President Campaigns and Engagement, Vice President Communications) to refocus the Union on its core representative functions with 3 full time officers supported by a Council with a wider focus.

Removing the Comms officer and Campaigns officer seems an odd move, especially considering what the current Comms Officer has achieved in a little over six months...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I would like to see the class reps council back

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Jester252 wrote: »

They're calling for motion submissions so that could be a good one. Deadline's this Friday.

• Advertisement

Date: Wednesday 1st February 2012
    Time: 2:00pm
    Venue: Jean Monnet Lecture Hall, Main Building

Here's the Facebook event...

A quorum of 200 is needed to hold the meeting, and seeing as how things are going at the moment, I think it's important that this one has a good turn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Big +1 on this, if it's not broke (unlike ULSU) don't fix it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

SarahBeep! wrote: »

Have to say I agree with you. The Class Rep System's was a vital link between the students and the union. It wasn't perfect but it wasn't the system's fault and there was absolutely no need to scrap it. Without it, the SU is becomes further removed from students.

bazkennedy wrote: »
    Have to say I agree with you. The Class Rep System's was a vital link between the students and the union. It wasn't perfect but it wasn't the system's fault and there was absolutely no need to scrap it. Without it, the SU is becomes further removed from students.

I have a really big problem with people trying to push change. It makes you wonder is it for the good of the students or some sort structure people want their name attached to because it makes them look good.

I won't lie, I really miss seeing the 10/11 Sabbatical team around. The Union seems to have lost some of it's fluidity. This year there really is strong officers and weak officers and it shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Actually class reps was the most disfunctional student body on campus. It needed to be changed.
    bazkennedy wrote: »

I agree scrapping it was extreme and I think a reform of the class reps would have been more beneficial.

It's odd that class reps have been scrapped yet they are still on the ULSU website.
    I have a really big problem with people trying to push change. It makes you wonder is it for the good of the students or some sort structure people want their name attached to because it makes them look good.

I won't lie, I really miss seeing the 10/11 Sabbatical team around. The Union seems to have lost some of it's fluidity. This year there really is strong officers and weak officers and it shows.

Well if students vote it in, then they think it's good for students. If it's only for people to get their name attached to then it can be rejected.

There are weak and strong officers but that happens every year. The strongest officer is by far Aoife Kenny. Derek seems to not really care anymore (or well at least not care as much as he did when he started in the SU) which kinda highlights why change is a good thing.

• Advertisement

And now they want to get rid of 2 more sabbat positions...

I found the justification of getting rid of the CO's position in An Focal issue 7 to be a little perplexing. They say that it is felt a current student could carry out the duties more efficiently... how?! What student has the time to juggle that amount of work? What student would have had the time to set up and run a radio station, edit and get An Focal printed on time and set up an online An Focal site along with all their course work?

It's definitely true about strong/weak members, but you're going to get that no matter what.

And as reunion says, it's us that have the decision in the end. If the majority of the people that show up to EGM want to get rid of more sabbat positions in order to save money then there's nothing we can do.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    And now they want to get rid of 2 more sabbat positions...

I found the justification of getting rid of the CO's position in An Focal issue 7 to be a little perplexing. They say that it is felt a current student could carry out the duties more efficiently... how?! What student has the time to juggle that amount of work? What student would have had the time to set up and run a radio station, edit and get An Focal printed on time and set up an online An Focal site along with all their course work?

It's definitely true about strong/weak members, but you're going to get that no matter what.

And as reunion says, it's us that have the decision in the end. If the majority of the people that show up to EGM want to get rid of more sabbat positions in order to save money then there's nothing we can do.

I think they may have meant a coop student.

In fairness if you read this, the history of the SU (they need to update that page as some of it is out of date) they created education in 2000 and in 2006 added CSO. CSO definetly needs to be scrapped it's a waste of student money and I think education actually has a purpose so that should be kept.

Communications in reality doesn't need a full time employee. An focal should focus using the internet as the primary source of information with the paper version steadily being decreased in frequency from two weeks to 3 weeks to a month.

The radio has more presenters then listeners which clearly isn't a SU service for students anymore but something someone wants to put their name to. It should be made as a student run society instead of a service offered by the SU.

The general manager (or whatever it's called now) could look for sponsorship/advertising to finance the union and paper (would also create a more stable contact point for companies to the SU and would be able to negotiate better deals year on year).

The unpaid coop student I imagine would take over ensuring the paper got published and sourcing advertising instead of increasing work load on other sabbats or paid staff.

reunion wrote: »
    I think they may have meant a coop student.

In fairness if you read this, the history of the SU (they need to update that page as some of it is out of date) they created education in 2000 and in 2006 added CSO. [1] CSO definetly needs to be scrapped it's a waste of student money and I think education actually has a purpose so that should be kept.

[2]Communications in reality doesn't need a full time employee. An focal should focus using the internet as the primary source of information with the paper version steadily being decreased in frequency from two weeks to 3 weeks to a month.

[3]The radio has more presenters then listeners which clearly isn't a SU service for students anymore but something someone wants to put their name to. It should be made as a student run society instead of a service offered by the SU.

The unpaid coop student I imagine would take over ensuring the paper got published and sourcing advertising instead of increasing work load on other sabbats or paid staff.

[1.] Totally agree. The CSO position really seems to serve no purpose that couldn't be carried out by either a committee of students or the Sabbat team themselves as part of their day to day work.

[2.] Would agree that the print run of An Focal should reduce. And a co-op student makes more sense, sorry I misunderstood that the first time. One reservation I'd have is would there be enough candidates each semester for an unpaid position like that to ensure a high quality of person...

[3.] I can't give an unbiased opinion here. I will say that the service aspect is improving.

[1.] Totally agree. The CSO position really seems to serve no purpose that couldn't be carried out by either a committee of students or the Sabbat team themselves as part of their day to day work.

[2.] Would agree that the print run of An Focal should reduce. And a co-op student makes more sense, sorry I misunderstood that the first time. One reservation I'd have is would there be enough candidates each semester for an unpaid position like that to ensure a high quality of person...

[3.] I can't give an unbiased opinion here. I will say that the service aspect is improving.

You can get a high quality person for a year or low quality person for a year currently, with the new system they can interview people and still get low quality people but it would only be for one semester as a new coop student would be there the semester after.

Honestly, it's not the service that needs to improve, the demand for it needs to grow. While I don't want this to turn into another ULFM thread, as a service I can't think of a logical reason to keep it under ULSU services. I've been told it's great for the presenters but as the radio society it just makes sense. It would still operate as it currently does but would be students running and maintaining it (would be little to no cost since the equipment is already purchased). I also realise you can't be unbiased here but I would like to hear other peoples opinions on a radio society.

You can get a high quality person for a year or low quality person for a year currently, with the new system they can interview people and still get low quality people but it would only be for one semester as a new coop student would be there the semester after.

You make a good point here... I'm starting to reconsider my stance on it, the only thing is, if you get a good co-op student, they're only there for what, six months as opposed to 12, so you'd struggle to make any long term changes unless the person after you was willing to carry it on. But I suppose that's true of the current set up as well, just slightly better.
    Honestly, it's not the service that needs to improve, the demand for it needs to grow. While I don't want this to turn into another ULFM thread, as a service I can't think of a logical reason to keep it under ULSU services. I've been told it's great for the presenters but as the radio society it just makes sense. It would still operate as it currently does but would be students running and maintaining it (would be little to no cost since the equipment is already purchased). I also realise you can't be unbiased here but I would like to hear other peoples opinions on a radio society.

We're treading dangerous waters here given the history of discussions on this topic on this forum, but I think you make a valid point. As it is, only one member of the board is sabbat, the rest are current students, and if the motion to scrap CO is passed next Wednesday it would mean the entire board would probably be current students next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Very honest blog by Paddy Rockett today. Will be on co-op during agm, no doubt i'll hear all the gossip about it.

Skyrim wrote: »
    Very honest blog by Paddy Rockett today. Will be on co-op during agm, no doubt i'll hear all the gossip about it.

I just noticed on derek's blog (found here) it says
    I was joined at this meeting by VP Educaiton Aoife Kenny as the second sabbatical nominee following Paddy Rockett's resignation.
    Has Paddy resigned? Like it even states that aoife and Tara have been running campaigns.
    Mental Health Week and I-Grade Awareness have been run to Tara and Aoife's best efforts showing that campaigns do not need money to be successful.

Paddy's blog is located here (haven't read it yet)

I just noticed on derek's blog (found here) it says
    Has Paddy resigned? Like it even states that aoife and Tara have been running campaigns.

Paddy's blog is located here (haven't read it yet)

I think Paddy resigned from the board to do with the SU shops because of them not consulting him over decision made in the summer.

I-Grade's would come under education and mental health would come under welfare. At least that's what I think it is anyway.

Really should go, have co-op, maybe if i'm really nice they'll let me off :P

Really should go, have co-op, maybe if i'm really nice they'll let me off :P

I'll be cutting it tight to get there on time... presenting on ULFM until 2... so I'll have to find a 5 minute song to end the show with to make it on time. :pac:

• Advertisement

I wonder if they will get 200 students needed

I'd say they will. Judging by students talking about it and lot of people talking about it, there will be 200 there. Don't know as much of the affairs of the union, but there is a clique feeling there which i'm put off by.

I'd say they will. Judging by students talking about it and lot of people talking about it, there will be 200 there. Don't know as much of the affairs of the union, but there is a clique feeling there which i'm put off by.
    They were lucky to get the magic number for the AGM i know because I was pull in by paddy rocket and it was the 1st time in a long while.
    what you say about the union been clique is what putting some students off from been involved and most students just could not care about the SU at all

I really hope so, when was the last time there was a quorate meeting??

I think(and hope) they will. I think it was touch and go last time. But the shops closing and continued rumours about how bollixed the SU's finances are I think more people will make the effort.
    I really hope so, when was the last time there was a quorate meeting??

Whenever the AGM was, probably a few months ago. I couldn't go because I'd lectures but I remember them posting saying that they'd just barely made quorum.... IIRC.

Whenever the AGM was, probably a few months ago. I couldn't go because I'd lectures but I remember them posting saying that they'd just barely made quorum.... IIRC.

Hadnt heard about last semester! Before that it was like 08 as far as I know...

The cliqueness annoys me quite a bit. Only go into the su if i need something from the reception desk. Don't know if this has any relevance, but what i dislike a bit, in the clubs and socs, is when a person is an officer in several different clubs and socs, just think you should be focused on the one and try and do it well. There rant over :P:D

The cliqueness annoys me quite a bit. Only go into the su if i need something from the reception desk. Don't know if this has any relevance, but what i dislike a bit, in the clubs and socs, is when a person is an officer in several different clubs and socs, just think you should be focused on the one and try and do it well. There rant over :P:D

Being on more then one club or soc has its perks and negatives. Perks: insights from other clubs and socs and could also allow better fundraising and promotion by some clubs and socs working together. Negatives: you have less time or you do a bad job (which effects everyone in the club or soc).

I do agree there is a cliqueness with quite a few clubs and societies and the su in general. Not all of su and clubs and socs are a clique, a few are quite open. It's also impossible to cater for those who just want to go to some lectures and want to just stay at home...

Don't just rant on boards about it. Submit it as a motion for discussion. To paraphrase from Paddy's blog: "There's no good bitching on boards, unless you make your voice heard it's pointless." <- terrible paraphrase but you get the point.

It's that type of suggestion that could help break up the clique in the SU, a motion similar to "You can only be on the committee of one soc" or something.

• Advertisement

Can you write it down on a piece of paper and give it in to the SU? Just in case, i can't get off coop.

Advertisement