Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

PapaQuebec wrote: »
    John_Mc wrote: »
    3 chimes usually means you're 10 minutes to landing.

3 chimes (almost a chirruping sound) on the A320 series indicates that the autopilot has been disconnected!

Correct on the AP disconnect i think its called a cavalary charge,there is also triple click sound for i think its a landing system downgrade,but a pax is never going to hear them,the cabin chime as explained is prob correct but i think thats more of a procedure with certain airlines to alert cabin crew afaik its not automatic if it is theres no test for it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭squonk

Sorry if this is a dumb newbie type question but I'm curious.

What sort of engine capacity is being used once you're leveled off after takeoff and are cruising at your destination altitude e.g. 40000ft. I suppose what I'm asking is that I guess it's pedal to the metal when you're on takoff and ascending but once you're cruising, I presume the power is backed off a bit? Are you still on e.g. 7/10's of available engine power cruising? I know this isn't a simple answer at all as headwind concerns at least might be a factor on what you're going to use.

I presume that it's not also the case that using all you're available power cruising isn't necessarilly going to get you all that much extra speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tippilot

85-90%, but a hugely more efficient 85-90% than at sea level.

Wow! That much! Mind you it answers another question that was bugging me in that if, as I thought, you were using 65-70%, and able to do 450kts, then you'd have a lot more power there to bring the airframe towards it's safe operating speed but as it stands, you're almost at full capacity anyway so it's a non issue!

Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

You could use all the power but the benefit of slightly extra speed would be lost in higher fuel consumption, thus shorter range and higher costs. Even during climb, paricularly if you're going high it's more economical to use the a cruise climb setting rather than full power.

In fact you are touching on quite a complex subject. Specially when you're talking about piston engines. Quite a lot of debate as the the most efficient settings, maximising power and minimising consumption. It can generate quite some controversy!

Turbine engines are a different story again.

• Advertisement

Actually at high altitudes, the aircaft's airspeed will be much lower than 450 knots. It's speed is measured with reference to the speed of sound, ie Mach.

The photo attached below shows an aircaft travelling at 0.78 Mach, with a TAS of +/- 250knots.

As you will notice on the speed tape, the differrence between the lower limit(yellow line) and the upper limit(red "barber pole") that an aircraft can safely fly at high altitude is relatively small.

The higher you go or the heavier you the smaller that gap is. Consequently, the maximum cruise altitude possible for an aircraft with a given weight is known as "coffin corner"-where only a very small gap between that yellow and red line exists.

This picture is of a relatively light 737ng aircraft where there is a good margin between upper and lower limits.

(For interest sake, that little round dot on the artifical horizon to the left is called the "Flight Path Vector". It depicts where the aircraft is going in relation to where it is pointed. Way way left in this case due to a 150kt crosswind from the right-heading 174,tracking 156.)

D0B5B9AC38CF4232A5092FF63B7591E7-0000338259-0002722751-00500L-35A0DB9F1C464D67A3BD663D13FC71E6.jpg

As you will notice on the speed tape, the differrence between the lower limit(yellow line) and the upper limit(red "barber pole") that an aircraft can safely fly at high altitude is relatively small.
    'Coffin corner', about 40 kts there?. A bit better than the old Learjets some of which had only a margin of 5 or 6 kts at certain altitudes.:eek: The U2 has a generous margin of 10kts.

In the 738 what would happen if you hit Mach buffet? Obviously there are plenty of bells and whistle to warn you. But what if?

Hi xflyer,

Not really coffin corner in the above photo.(read again I wasnt saying it was!) Flight was months ago, but there was definitely plenty of margin there to climb to FL390. In that photo, though the cruise was at FL370, the maximum was possibly FL395.

So climbing to a higher level was possible, but not a good idea given we were in a 150kt jet stream at the time, so staying lower gave us a good speed margin in the event of encountering turbulence.

The margin can be much smaller than that.

On the 737, the first warning of an overspeed is a green trend arrow on the speed tape, then the clacker aural warning when it enters an overspeed scenairo. An overspeed can be corrected before it happens and if it happens by manually retarding the thrust levers and/or using speedbrake.

An overspeed of 15 kn or greater inside the barber pole requires an engineering inspection.

In the event of Mach buffet/Tuck on any swept wing aircraft that exceeds it's critical Mach number there is the potential for an upset with a resulting control loss, severe overspeed and structural failure.

The factors for an causing an overspeed are for the most part external including turbulence and high level shear. For example it is possible(but rare) for a 50 knot headwind to reduce to zero in seconds, which results in an autothrottle power up to maintain airspeed. Now if that wind suddenly increases to 50 knots on the nose again, no autothrottle in the world will stop a minor overspeed event. It happens, I've seen it on occasion south of the Alps and Pyrnees with a northerly jet.

No it was I who introduced the idea. There's a good margin on that flight. I broke a 737 recently, got it into Mach tuck. :o Of course it was in a Simtech sim but lesson learned. Not that it matters where I'm concerned.

I know one or two early Lears dived straight into the ground before Mach tuck was properly understood.

What's your lowest margin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kooch

tippilot wrote: »
    Actually at high altitudes, the aircaft's airspeed will be much lower than 450 knots. It's speed is measured with reference to the speed of sound, ie Mach.

The photo attached below shows an aircaft travelling at 0.78 Mach, with a TAS of +/- 250knots.

Hi tippilot,

Good photo. But I think you mean the aircraft has an Indicated Airspeed of 250 kts. Its real speed through the air, the True Airspeed (TAS) is more like 450 kts.
    At high altitudes the IAS reduces as the air thins out and becomes less dense. So the airspeed indicator, which is calibrated for ISA to accurately indicate airspeed at sea level, 15 deg etc. needs to have a correction applied to calculate our TAS.
    Mach number is the ratio between your TAS and the local speed of sound.

In relation to the OP's question, I remember reading somewhere that a typical jet engine produces only about half its sea level maximum thrust at high altitude, say 40,000 feet, for the same engine RPM. In other words an engine that can produce 26,000 lbs of thrust at sea level when running at 100% RPM puts out about 13,000 lbs of thrust at cruise altitude for the same 100% RPM. Again, this is because the air is much thinner. However the upside of the thin air is that drag is reduced, and therefore a high TAS can be maintained.

• Advertisement

Hi xflyer,

The FMC will tell us our maximum flight level for a given weight and we never exceed it. We would use a bit of prudence given the prevailing conditions. If turbulent we would stay lower to improve the margin. No real minimum margin per se, we just dont exceed the maximum altitude as calculated by the FMC. Should the FMC fail, the max altitude can be calculated from the QRH.

In any case, if the maximum altitude is FL390 exactly, climb performance in the last few hundred feet in getting there would not be great. We usually fly at the closest suitable level to the FMC calculated optimum level which gives the best fuel performance and is usually around 500' lower than the aircrafts maximuim calculated cruise level.

Hi Kooch,

Indeed you are right. IAS.

Another upside of the thin air is increased fuel economy, ie less fuel is consumed in the combustion chamber for a given volume of fuel. The difference in a 90%N1 fuel burn at 3000' versus 33,000 is immense.

Suggestion to mods..worth absorbing this thread into the "Great Big Ask....." thread maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yeah its interesting stuff, i'll move it over now.

In all my years of 737 nerding i've never noticed the Flight Path Vector, cheers for that info.

pclancy wrote: »
    In all my years of 737 nerding i've never noticed the Flight Path Vector, cheers for that info.

It's actually an Airbus thing that Boeing added on to the NG as an afterthought! It doesn't get much use but in certain situations it can be quite handy. It can be selected on or off and is something you could easily not have seen in use. It's really an individual choice, some guys use it, many don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

squonk wrote: »
    . I suppose what I'm asking is that I guess it's pedal to the metal when you're on takoff and ascending but once you're cruising, I presume the power is backed off a bit?

Very rarely is it "pedal to the metal" on take-off.

I like to use this analogy:
    When you are driving your car away from the traffic lights, do you rev to the red-line on the rpm's, change gear, red-line again? (Maybe if you drive a Starlet or Civic with a fat exhaust you do!! :p )
    It's the same for aircraft. There is no point in using more thrust than needed as this increases wear on the engine and can increase the chances of an engine failure on take-off. Therefore, we reduce the amount of thrust for take-off depending on factors such as weight, runway length, runway condition, obstacles and met conditions.

Very rarely is it "pedal to the metal" on take-off.

I like to use this analogy:
    When you are driving your car away from the traffic lights, do you rev to the red-line on the rpm's, change gear, red-line again? (Maybe if you drive a Starlet or Civic with a fat exhaust you do!! :p )
    It's the same for aircraft. There is no point in using more thrust than needed as this increases wear on the engine and can increase the chances of an engine failure on take-off. Therefore, we reduce the amount of thrust for take-off depending on factors such as weight, runway length, runway condition, obstacles and met conditions.

That's very interesting! Speaking from the point of view of a passenger, it always does seem like the engines are being gunned to get into the air but, as you point out, it's a matter of perspective. It never occured to me that a lighter loaded aircraft will get to take off point with less revs than a heavilly loaded one. A subtler point it proves is how much pilots trust their aircraft! I've often heard that an aircraft 'wants' to fly and given the right conditions it readily will. As a newbie I think I'd gun the engines because in my head I'd think 'this thing won't get into the air unless I give it plenty of welly'. That's probably why I had the misconception that max available thrust was being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Wondering would there be any possibility of being allowed to take a look at the cockpit/take photo? Flying with aerlingus next week.

On the ground, maybe, you can but ask. In the air, no way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Depends on the captain. Some will allow it but others won't. But there is no way once you are in the air.

I have had 2 cockpit tours pre 9/11. One an Ansett 757 in Australia and the an United 737 on the ground at ORD. Oh those were the days. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I asked a flight attendant when we were unloading after a flight (EI) and she refused to even ask the captain, citing security regulations :rolleyes:

It's really a matter of luck but it's definitely worth asking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Just wondering what's the Holy Grail as regards pilot jobs? Is it flying long haul for a full service carrier with a modern fleet and generous layovers and time off? Or maybe business jets with lots of perks? An friend of a friend flys long haul (747) to all sorts of exotic destinations with BA and sounds like a dream job. On the other hand short haul low cost guys have ungodly early starts and the stress of lots of sectors each day...could get old rather quicker..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

veetwin wrote: »
    Just wondering what's the Holy Grail as regards pilot jobs? Is it flying long haul for a full service carrier with a modern fleet and generous layovers and time off? Or maybe business jets with lots of perks? An friend of a friend flys long haul (747) to all sorts of exotic destinations with BA and sounds like a dream job. On the other hand short haul low cost guys have ungodly early starts and the stress of lots of sectors each day...could get old rather quicker..

It all depends on the individual.
    Long haul flights with layovers may suit some people, but not others with young families. Some prefer to be home every night with their kids and wife/husband.
    Personally, I prefer longhaul. I measure my work in the number of times I have to put on my uniform!
    When I used to fly shorthaul, I could do 80 block hours in a month, but that could involve up to 160 hours of actual duty time. At the minute, I do a mixture of both, but bid for long and ultra-long haul flights each month.
    This month I have 2 ULR flights and 2 longhaul flights. Block time of 87 hours with 110 duty hours and 15 days off (+2 days off down route and +2 days where I return home at around 3am). Suits me perfectly!

I've often thought these guys had the best job:http://www.cobham.com/about-cobham/mission-systems/about-us/aviation-services/christchurch/markets/warfare-training.aspx

You fly a bizjet simulating attacks on warships etc. So it's military without the hassle of being in the military. Low level flying and it's 9 to 5 with weekends off.

Is there a better flying job? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Does the sidestick in an Airbus work in the same way a joystick would work on a flight sim? I have watched a few videos of the pilot on the Airbus 318 and he seems to be making alot of sidestick movements, looks more like he is playing FIFA 2012!

More or less, except that the computers attached to the stick are also connected to a real aeroplane. If you want to simulate what you saw in the video, crank up the turbulence button or whatever in the flight sim. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

xabi

Does the sidestick in an Airbus work in the same way a joystick would work on a flight sim? I have watched a few videos of the pilot on the Airbus 318 and he seems to be making alot of sidestick movements,

That's scarebus pilots trying to make out that their aircraft are challenging to fly whereas the computer does the "actual" flying. :p

Everyone knows proper pilots fly Boeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Plowman wrote: »

One big difference between the two is that if you are not the pilot flying in an Airbus, you can't see what inputs the pilot flying is making. The can be a serious problem, because if the pilot flying gets disorientated and loses awareness, and then starts doing something wrong then the other pilot can't see this.

This is not the case with a yoke because both are mechanically linked and will both move at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

or is the yoke in a modern Boeing just a reassuring, traditional looking controller attached to a sophisticated fly-by-wire system?

No fly-by-wire in my Boeing. Think only the 777 and 787 are FBW.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Plowman wrote: »
    Very valid question there. B777/B787/B747-8 are all fly by wire aren't they?
    John_Mc wrote: »
    One big difference between the two is that if you are not the pilot flying in an Airbus, you can't see what inputs the pilot flying is making. The can be a serious problem, because if the pilot flying gets disorientated and loses awareness, and then starts doing something wrong then the other pilot can't see this.

This is not the case with a yoke because both are mechanically linked and will both move at the same time.
    I think the AF447 incident shows this possibility very clearly.

I wonder does the B787 retain this mechanical linkage system?

Advertisement