Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Itwasntme.

Please choose your words more carefully in future.Im giving you the benefit by taking your comment as being jokey however comments like that,even if they are said in jest,are not welcome here.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

Didn't mean to offend. Sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Hey, I've been lurking on this thread since joining an online dating site.

Does anyone use maybefriends.com or anotherfriend.com? I randomly joined maybefriends and haven't had any bad messages so far, and only one that was "text speak". Everyone on this thread seems to be using POF, is that because of the numbers on it?

I have used Anotherfriend, was on it last year and dated someone i met on it for a while. I know opinions may be divided on this but i think there are less timewasters on paid sites. POF or CS just aint working for me so might go back to Anotherfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I have used Anotherfriend, was on it last year and dated someone i met on it for a while. I know opinions may be divided on this but i think there are less timewasters on paid sites. POF or CS just aint working for me so might go back to Anotherfriend.

Don't you have to pay to upgrade on POF?? I thought that's what I saw when I was on it last night? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Don't you have to pay to upgrade on POF?? I thought that's what I saw when I was on it last night? :confused:

You don't really need to upgrade on POF.

As a free user, I had received plenty of views and no issues with contacting women via mail. This tells me I'm shown quite a bit in search results and can contact people freely without being impeeded.

Didn't see the point in upgrading it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

"As a free user, I had received plenty of views and no issues with contacting women via mail. This tells me I'm shown quite a bit in search results and can contact people freely without being impeeded."

So does that mean as a free member on POF (or any dating sites) you can send and receive mails via the site? Or do you mean contacting them using your private mail like hotmail?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

You don't really need to upgrade on POF.

As a free user, I had received plenty of views and no issues with contacting women via mail. This tells me I'm shown quite a bit in search results and can contact people freely without being impeeded.

Didn't see the point in upgrading it.

POF have great forums - which I take part in discussions on regularly. One of the topics was whether it was worthy paying to upgrade on POF. General consensus of opinion was that it wasn't. Couple of people said that it 'smacks of desperation' as the same features are available to all members paid or not! :D

There was one girl who clicked the "meet me" feature, then sent me a rather lovely message but when I went to reply I discovered she had blocked me. I'm assuming I had messaged her at some point when I didn't have a photo and she blocked me right away but I can't remember.

Oh that's another thing that annoys me about POF - you can only block someone if their message is in your inbox. If you send them a message and click, "block user" you get added to your own block list.

There really should be the ability to block from their profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I read on POF last night that they are organising a singles night at the end of January in Lagoona bar in the IFSC. People were talking of a Coppers night out, we could always gather up a horde of boardsies go to the POF event then head down to Coppers later?

I think it is on the 27 or the 28th, can't check now in work but it was a ten euro into the event, they have space for over 200 I think and you get free platters of food. Might be worth a look for all the POF boardsies?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Maguined wrote: »
    I read on POF last night that they are organising a singles night at the end of January in Lagoona bar in the IFSC. People were talking of a Coppers night out, we could always gather up a horde of boardsies go to the POF event then head down to Coppers later?

I think it is on the 27 or the 28th, can't check now in work but it was a ten euro into the event, they have space for over 200 I think and you get free platters of food. Might be worth a look for all the POF boardsies?

Saw that too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Only thing about that is, they've already had a tonne of "confirmed" attendees according to the event notification.

It'll be on a first come first servered basis too, so you'd need to be getting there early.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Only thing about that is, they've already had a tonne of "confirmed" attendees according to the event notification.

It'll be on a first come first servered basis too, so you'd need to be getting there early.

True but it might be worth a shot, sure if most of us wont get it then we say screw em and make our own event in Coppers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I'd never attend anything like that as the fear would be that it would be a room of 200 blokes looking at eachother.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

True but it might be worth a shot, sure if most of us wont get it then we say screw em and make our own event in Coppers. :)

had a look at that too - there are 150 places and over 400 confirmed - bringing mates too! Think I will give the bun fight a miss!

Went to one of these nights (another site) a couple of years ago. Frankly I wasn't surprised some of these people were single!! Anyway eventually 2 hot hot hot blokes came into the bar so we thought 'at last, a bit of talent, pulled here girls'. They looked around the room and left!! lol

I'd never attend anything like that as the fear would be that it would be a room of 200 blokes looking at eachother.

As opposed to young fella's and young'uns standing at opposite sides of the hall?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 murhatchi

awec wrote: »
    I really dislike photos that are taken like that. Find them too posey.

You either look like you're posing or you look like you have uploaded your passport photo :pac:

Photo is tricky, if you ask friends given a selection which they prefer they all have different opinions:confused: but usually universally all do not like the ones I would have thought appropriate :D

Sure that's how some nightclubs are too!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Second date went well. Seeing him again on Saturday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

does anyone back my policy of not emailing girls on POF who say they like Rihanna? it normally means they describe themselves in text language dis tat and ter.

Rastapitts wrote: »
    does anyone back my policy of not emailing girls on POF who say they like Rihanna? it normally means they describe themselves in text language dis tat and ter.

Not for the reason you gave no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I like Rihanna and NEVER EVER use text speak, I also generally don't use the word text, I say message.

If you discovered you were messaging a boardsie would touch tell them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Pembily wrote: »

Depends what you're touching, they'd probably cop it if you kept pressing their "User CP"

I'm guessing you meant to say "you" instead of "touch?"

Wouldn't consider it to be a big deal myself. I even had Boards listed as an intrest on POF. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Damn phone, I meant tell them! It's not classed as stalkerish :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

If thats the case of a room full of men let me go there!! Maybe one of them would be foolish enough to speak to me! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It's only fair IMO. Otherwise you have an unfair advantage (ie: looking up their previous posts to suss them out).
    Kind of like when someone messages you and their profile pic doesn't show their face (talk about bypassing a rule). Damnit, if you get to see my gorgeous face the least you can do is show me yours. I recall chatting with such a girl on POF one time and after a few messages asked if she had any pictures with her face in them. She called me a pervert and stormed off. Best part is her profile said, "Pics on request".

When people refer to 'internet people' in their profiles, are they talking about boardsies? I've come across several that say, 'no crazies and no internet people either...' or something of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    When people refer to 'internet people' in their profiles, are they talking about boardsies? I've come across several that say, 'no crazies and no internet people either...' or something of the sort.

By no internet people they obviously mean they don't want to meet anyone who uses the internet to meet people or chat online. Everyone except themselves of course...

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Got chatting to a girl on OKC last night, guessed her name on the first attempt because she looked liked a Clare :P Awwwwhhhhhh yeeaaaahhhhhhhhh :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement