Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Getting no messages on POF whatsoever.

Spoke to a friend of mine last night (who's also a wheelchair user), and he said that once they (women) hear that we use a wheelchair or have any kind of disability, they run a mile(so to speak!). He also said that he preferred to meet women face to face, as it didn't them a chance to run away.

IMO, if women don't like you purely because you're disabled, they're just shallow.

I'm certain many women consider the fact I have children a disability!

Try to stay positive, most people feel a little rejected/neglected on these sites. It comes with the territory of expecting to be able to cherry pick all your favourite features in advance of meeting/talking to someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Hey! I posted this in the wrong section earlier and now that it's moved it's seem to have gotten lost a few pages back.

Anyway any advice that anyone can pass on to me would be very much appreciated as I'm a total novice to online dating and in all honestly I'm feeling abit delusional about it already.

Thanks!

The problems you singled out: lack of responses, women with demanding or narrow criteria, I fear that's the reality most men on dating sites have to contend with. It's easier if you enter into it with no expectations, patience, resilience, and a sense of humour about it - whether you're male or female.

I don't know match.com, but as far as I'm aware it doesn't have enough Irish users to be worth a subscription. I think you'd be better off using the free sites: pof, connectingsingles, anotherfriend, ok cupid, first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I'm certain many women consider the fact I have children a disability!

Try to stay positive, most people feel a little rejected/neglected on these sites. It comes with the territory of expecting to be able to cherry pick all your favourite features in advance of meeting/talking to someone!

LOL

I've been thinking. Perhaps if I stop living in a healthy manner, quit the job, stop working out, get myself a beer belly and big red face, start smoking, post a few drunken snaps with a pint in one hand and a spirit in the other, delete the well thought out description and start firing off a pile of "hey bbz" messages, I'll be reeling them in!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

I've been thinking. Perhaps if I stop living in a healthy manner, quit the job, stop working out, get myself a beer belly and big red face, start smoking, post a few drunken snaps with a pint in one hand and a spirit in the other, delete the well thought out description and start firing off a pile of "hey bbz" messages, I'll be reeling them in!

Bahahaha...:pac::pac::pac: True story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Getting no messages on POF whatsoever.

Spoke to a friend of mine last night (who's also a wheelchair user), and he said that once they (women) hear that we use a wheelchair or have any kind of disability, they run a mile(so to speak!). He also said that he preferred to meet women face to face, as it didn't them a chance to run away.

!

Hmm wonder if its you or him that I have been chatting with! :rolleyes:

Evidently guys aren't supposed to have any mail settings on POF.

I've an age-range set, female, in Ireland, not looking for anything but dating or long-term(I'm not looking for friendship on a dating site) and have been told at least twice so far that I'm picky.

Funnily enough, almost every woman's profile I've seen has the exact same thing. I just know exactly what I'm looking for.

Evidently guys aren't supposed to have any mail settings on POF.

I've an age-range set, female, in Ireland, not looking for anything but dating or long-term(I'm not looking for friendship on a dating site) and have been told at least twice so far that I'm picky.

Funnily enough, almost every woman's profile I've seen has the exact same thing. I just know exactly what I'm looking for.

I's quite simple really, women like to feel as though they make all your major life decisions for you.

I's quite simple really, women like to feel as though they make all your major life decisions for you.

Not for me they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

johnr1 wrote: »
    I'm wondering - like another poster, are we all just shooting at people out of our "league" ?

There is no league system so to speak. I've gotten dates with women via online dating that on paper would be 'out of my league' (but then turned out to be bat s- crazy, but taht'sa different story).

• Advertisement

Not for me they won't.

Oh but they WILL. And you WILL agree!

Was seeing a guy for a while and then I said to my sisters 'ah he doesnt know what he wants'! Their reply - men never know what they want, its up to us to tell them!!

:D:D

Oh but they WILL. And you WILL agree!

No I won't

Dovies wrote: »
    Was seeing a guy for a while and then I said to my sisters 'ah he doesnt know what he wants'! Their reply - men never know what they want, its up to us to tell them!!

:D:D

I was thinking of changing my tag line to "seeking woman to tell me what to do", but I can't afford a secretary at the minute...

I was thinking of changing my tag line to "seeking woman to tell me what to do", but I can't afford a secretary at the minute...

Mail me your password and I will sort it for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

Galvasean wrote: »
    A 48 year old man on connectingsingles once asked me if I was homophobic (because he heard that Ireland was a very homophobic country). I said no and that I had several homosexual friends and a couple of relatives.

Sorry to derail the thread, for a second, but how does having homosexual relatives make you non - homophobic.

I am sure, you meant well, It is just hilarious for somone to suggest such an idea

Mail me your password and I will sort it for you ;)

Haha! You'll have to get up earlier in the morning to catch me out with your cunning plans!!!

(PM sent)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Someone just sent me a message on POF telling me that my photo is giving him an erection.

Shudder.

My suit photo backfired :-(

If fairness though you are a bit of a roide. ;)

I am firmly of the belief that any attention is better than no attention, no matter how sleazy. I would be chuffed if my photos were inspiring boners. :D

Sorry to derail the thread, for a second, but how does having homosexual relatives make you non - homophobic.

I am sure, you meant well, It is just hilarious for somone to suggest such an idea

Friends was the important part of that post. Although, it may be worth mentioning that having openly homosexual relatives is also indicative that Ireland as a country is not so homophobic that they can be open about such things.
    But hey, thanks for the pointless nitpicking!

s-JIM-CARREY-large.jpg

Friends was the important part of that post. Although, it may be worth mentioning that having openly homosexual relatives is also indicative that Ireland as a country is not so homophobic that they can be open about such things.
    But hey, thanks for the pointless nitpicking!

s-JIM-CARREY-large.jpg

My ironyometer just exploded.

• Advertisement

My ironyometer just exploded.

Irony or no irony I'm not gonna be called out like that on thread without response.

So, anybody got any dates lined up?

Got a message on the POF ireland site from someone called "<snip>". Haven't checked it out yet. Got nothing so far on the other POF site as of yet.

Irony or no irony I'm not gonna be called out like that on thread without response.

So, anybody got any dates lined up?

Don't know if you're talking to me- but I've got three dates. One for the 24th, the 27th and the last for a date yet to be confirmed.

All of the above are people I find interesting and would like to hang with but a little worried they may be looking for more than friendship even if I have clearly stated this is not my priority at this point in my life.

Also, none of the above are people I emailed first. :-( What's wrong with the dudes who click meet me and then don't bother to respond when emailed?

Guys are always on about girls who just want guys to fancy them but there are just as many dudes who are looking for attention on PoF.

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    All of the above are people I find interesting and would like to hang with but a little worried they may be looking for more than friendship even if I have clearly stated this is not my priority at this point in my life.

Wouldn't worry about that too much. Just play it by ear and see how it goes. You'd never know how it might turn out.
    What's wrong with the dudes who click meet me and then don't bother to respond when emailed?

Guys are always on about girls who just want guys to fancy them but there are just as many dudes who are looking for attention on PoF.

That does seem strange alright. I suppose all you can do is dismiss them as trolls and move on. No point overthinking their motives.

Also, none of the above are people I emailed first. :-( What's wrong with the dudes who click meet me and then don't bother to respond when emailed?

Seriously - do not bother with the meet me thing!! Seemingly I have wanted 'to meet' a few people and yet I never use it!! If someone clicks they want to meet me and then mails me the fair enough but otherwise just ignore it.

Seemingly I have wanted 'to meet' a few people and yet I never use it!!

That happened to me once before. A girl said the 'meet me' thing told her I wanted to meet her. I thought she was just using it as a conversation starter, but based on what I've read here apparently it does throw them out at random sometimes!

i've clicked it before. must refrain.

Also, I've sent messages a few different people, but got no replies........??

As far as I can see, the meet me feature throws up loads of people who haven't had any activity on the site in a long time so it is more of an excercise in generating hits for the site itself by encouraging people to log on.

That explains it.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

As far as I can see, the meet me feature throws up loads of people who haven't had any activity on the site in a long time so it is more of an excercise in generating hits for the site itself by encouraging people to log on.

And here I thought I was popular. :D *goes off to find bag of frozen peas to reduce massively swollen head*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement