Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PiP Implants support thread - Irish petition in post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nettie80

More updated info for any <snip> ladies out there,

If you are going for a scan and it comes back that your implants have ruptured, <snip> will reimburse the cost of your scan. Also as mentioned before, if you do have a rupture you will have them removed and replaced for free, if you wish to upgrade your implants to Natrelles (only if they have ruptured) it will cost 1000 euro in total.

Once you have all decided what to do ie: Surgery wise, once you get yourselves sorted, remember to follow up and write to their head office with your complaints and grievances to keep the momentum going. I'm going to deal with the immediate effect of getting the surgery sorted and then seek legal advice and keep writing to them as long as I have to, in order to get what I deem as fair in terms of them reimbursing me for having to pay to have them replaced.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Saranna

Hi Margurite1

Thanks but,
    Yes I went to <snip> on my own,hubby was working cudnt make.I fell apart <snip> has obviously been very well advised he told me the pips were perfectly save when I questioned this he told me I shouldnt be listening to Joe Duffy!!! He doesnt think there is any rupture but sending me to <snip>,he also nicely informed me that I knew and signed a disclaimer that I was opting for a foreign body to be placed inside me:(
    I told him even without rupture I want them removed he said he would and if I chose not to have an new implant in he will perform an uplift instead which I am kinda thinking is a better option whos to say the next implants wont be defective aswell oh but he does want 1,800 if I am chosing this if no rupture shows.More confused and upset than ever now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lillzo

u poor thing just because u signed for a foreign body put in does not excuse them from using low grade cheap toxic implants.. they really have alot to answer for trying to make u feel like its ur fault u paid top money and trusted that they were using top of the range products.. try not to let it get u down pet.. bet he wouldnt have said that to u if you hubbie was there.. if u havnt already sought legal advise do so now they might be able to get a better deal for u.. plus he might be a little nicer to u next time if u do..

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Pixiejane

lillzo wrote: »
    hi girls

i just checked out allergans website and i have to say i was pretty impressed... does anyone now how many clinics here are offering there naturelle range (id like to get a couple of consults).. after all this i think ill save up and replace mine for peace of mind...is anyone here opting for saline over silicone..?

Hi there Lillzo,
    I put up a post last night with a link to the FDA website in the States. Remember the silicone scare in the 90's? well the States don't mess around with implants, have a look at their website. Allergan and Mentor are FDA approved implants. No PIP problems in the States.

Hi I have already spoke to a solicitor since I went this morning,she reakons because we dont know if <snip> are insured for faulty products if we can get anywhere with and it cud be my decision to make.He reakons no rupture so I know have to decide to have them removed @1,500 and be left with a pair of streched,saggy boobs,have new implants out in and live in fear of another scare@1,800 or have them removed and a have an uplit and go back to pre implant size oh and have the scars for 1,800.
    Honestly I dont think this is what any of us girls 'signed' for.
    Whats most people planning to do,this is such a difficult think to decide on:(

• Advertisement

Pixiejane wrote: »
    hi girls

i just checked out allergans website and i have to say i was pretty impressed... does anyone now how many clinics here are offering there naturelle range (id like to get a couple of consults).. after all this i think ill save up and replace mine for peace of mind...is anyone here opting for saline over silicone..?

Hi there Lillzo,
    I put up a post last night with a link to the FDA website in the States. Remember the silicone scare in the 90's? well the States don't mess around with implants, have a look at their website. Allergan and Mentor are FDA approved implants. No PIP problems in the States.

hi pixijane

thanks a mill for the info.. have eurosilicone in 6 1/2 years now and was told the would last 15-20 yrs was a web of lies theese surgeons spin.. i was worried about getting silicone and his exact words were "if u got run over by a truck ur implants would still be intact" its laughable isnt it telling u anything to get the money out of ur pocket..going to do some homework on clinics here using the allergan naturalle range.. def going to replace mine just dont fancy general ans just yet (only had one 5mts ago) will wait another bit.. think ill book myself a scan in the next couple of mts just for peace of mind dont want to get one just yet as the women with pip should get proirty ....

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Pixiejane

Saranna wrote: »
    Hi Margurite1

Thanks but,
    Yes I went to <snip> on my own,hubby was working cudnt make.I fell apart <snip> has obviously been very well advised he told me the pips were perfectly save when I questioned this he told me I shouldnt be listening to Joe Duffy!!! He doesnt think there is any rupture but sending me to the Beacon,he also nicely informed me that I knew and signed a disclaimer that I was opting for a foreign body to be placed inside me:(
    I told him even without rupture I want them removed he said he would and if I chose not to have an new implant in he will perform an uplift instead which I am kinda thinking is a better option whos to say the next implants wont be defective aswell oh but he does want 1,800 if I am chosing this if no rupture shows.More confused and upset than ever now:(

Hi Saranna, well advised indeed. So where's his proof then? did he give it to you on paper, I bet not. A leading UK surgeon (I'll find the quote in a bit) has said that the grade of silicone used in the PIPs were never meant for the human body. Ah of course, he saw how vulnerable you were on your own and used it to his own advantage. Oh I'm so furious, God may look down on him when I see him! Saranna, And LADIES out there, if you google Poly Implant Prothese, it makes for interesting reading(with Wikipedia) Print it out and bring it to any consultations you may have with your orginal surgeon/clinic, and then see what they have to say.
    Oh we signed a disclaimer alright to have a foreign body inside us, but not a cheap defective one!! that apparently cost him somewhere in the region of 50 - 150 euros. Of course he wants €1800!!! OH girls words fail me right now because they're only bad ones I want to use:mad: Look try remain calm, he's told you from his examination there's no rupture so that's good, and like me I'm sure your scan will be positive also. We'll see what the next step is then.
    Ladies I've also sent off an email today to the IMB AND THE MINISTER FOR HEALTH, so will update you when I get a reply. minister's_office@health.irlgov.ie we all need to bombard him also with letters and emails regardless of our situation,remember strength in numbers, so he'll eventually have to do something about it. Did you know we can also request a meeting with him? We're strong women and we're not going away anytime soon.

Oh and I was also informed saline implants are not used in Ireland,I dont think this is fact,any one been offer saline replacements?

Hi I have already spoke to a solicitor since I went this morning,she reakons because we dont know if <snip> are insured for faulty products if we can get anywhere with and it cud be my decision to make.He reakons no rupture so I know have to decide to have them removed @1,500 and be left with a pair of streched,saggy boobs,have new implants out in and live in fear of another scare@1,800 or have them removed and a have an uplit and go back to pre implant size oh and have the scars for 1,800.
    Honestly I dont think this is what any of us girls 'signed' for.
    Whats most people planning to do,this is such a difficult think to decide on:(

i dont know its such a hard decision to make personally ill be getting mine replaced.. i had nothing to begin with so god knows if they could do anything for me at all plus i would feel so insecure also.. if i had never got them done i could live with small boobs but not now with lots of scars etc.. its not for vainty more because i would be so selfconsious.. id much prefere saline my sis works in one of our biggest public hospitals in theater and said they never use silicone for reconstruction only saline.. if u feel u could live with no implants go for it at least u know ur safe in the future.. its still disgracefull that they are making u pay for removal...

To be perfectly honest,rupture or not I dont think any of us wud ever be completely able to go with a normal life now knowing what we know about these pips.We all should be given replacement with a SAFE implant not another cheap alternative,why should have to pay another cent for something we already saved up long and hard for or borrowed with interest for,,,so mad:(

• Advertisement

i dont know its such a hard decision to make personally ill be getting mine replaced.. i had nothing to begin with so god knows if they could do anything for me at all plus i would feel so insecure also.. if i had never got them done i could live with small boobs but not now with lots of scars etc.. its not for vainty more because i would be so selfconsious.. id much prefere saline my sis works in one of our biggest public hospitals in theater and said they never use silicone for reconstruction only saline.. if u feel u could live with no implants go for it at least u know ur safe in the future.. its still disgracefull that they are making u pay for removal...
    Oh dont get me wrong I am 6 and a half years with implants,Id say I'll be gutted but my head is all over the place at the mo:(

Oh dont get me wrong I am 6 and a half years with implants,Id say I'll be gutted but my head is all over the place at the mo:(

id be up the wall if mine were pip too i started crying when the girl on the phone told me i hadnt got them like some mad nutter.. best thing to do is sit tight have ur scan if u have no rupture do some reserch at least then u can make an informed decision.. the surgeon is a fecking liar cause public hospitals use saline private sector probaby dont off them cause they are so expensive, dont care how exp they are ill save for them..i was told the same **** by my doc back then. good luck with ur decision hope u get the result ur looking for either way..

That fact the surgery cost nearly 6,000 u think that wud we cover the cost of them buying saline implants.they whole situation is actually a joke they are still trying to cut corners and rip us off all over again...they should be mortified at what they are putting us thru.

That fact the surgery cost nearly 6,000 u think that wud we cover the cost of them buying saline implants.they whole situation is actually a joke they are still trying to cut corners and rip us off all over again...they should be mortified at what they are putting us thru.

i know mine were 5800 and i stupidly thought i was getting a great top of the range product but now from reading through all the info mine are cheap too and have to be replaced every 10 yrs.. im going to get in touch with the blackrock clinic and see what they charge.. so looks like if i replace mine ill have spent 10000 on mine in less than 10 yrs.. my clinics gone but urs should defo remove urs for free and if u want exp implants just charge u cost price for them.. personally it should be free full stop but the profit hungry clinics arent going to do that...they should be made to by the minister for health..

I probably wud pay the difference for an expensive implant.Im am suprised that they are willing to let themselves get a bad reputation over this,what wud it actually cost the clinic to the procedure Id say they are well making a very decent annual profit

I probably wud pay the difference for an expensive implant.Im am suprised that they are willing to let themselves get a bad reputation over this,what wud it actually cost the clinic to the procedure Id say they are well making a very decent annual profit

i would make much more sense to offer a better quality implant, they would have less complications, less redoes, less complaints and a much better chance of never ending up in this suitution again.. but better implants mean less profit.. why not go back to ur doc and ask about cost of better implants..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭kyra123

u poor thing , check through the earlier posts one of the girls asked a surgeon about explant yesterday i think he said without the implant u would have a deflated looking breast not really sure if they can sort this out.. u should make a consultation and ask about ur options. u are really brave having them out full stop i know for u its for the best, wish i could do it too but i def dont have the bxxxs..

Hi Girls,

I was with a surgeon yesterday and asked about just removing the implants and not replacing them. He said they remove the implant and a part of the capsule and the breast just heals the pocket. He said appearence you breast will look de flated, but he assured me it would not look 'bad' just not as full as before.
    Hope this help anyone that asked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭kyra123

To be perfectly honest,rupture or not I dont think any of us wud ever be completely able to go with a normal life now knowing what we know about these pips.We all should be given replacement with a SAFE implant not another cheap alternative,why should have to pay another cent for something we already saved up long and hard for or borrowed with interest for,,,so mad:(

Saranna, I've been thinking about that all day too. I worked so hard to get my implants and it was something I just 'signed' as the surgeon said I thought long and hard about it and was assured by my clinic I was getting the best. The surgeon you say sound s like an ass, maybe get a second consultation with another clinic. Loads of places are doing consultation for free.
    I'm the same as you still don't know if I want to replace mine in I get the option. At the moment I am trying to figure out how the hell to just pay for the scans!

Some one yesterday said we should start a petition? Does anyone know how to do that? Maybe an online one would be the best ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Ladies, excuse me for joining this discussion as a male, but I have been following the PIP breast implant thing on TV news and found it strange that different signals seem to be coming from Britain, France and other countries. My own advice, for what it's worth - probably not much - would be to err on the side of caution and have the PIP ones removed, although there is no immediate need for panic.

There's an acquaintance of mine who is a surgeon and I sometimes chat with her when I meet her in the dog park (in Helsinki). I asked her whether women here knew where their breast implants came from and she told me that they were always told exactly. In fact, most women who have them installed (is that the right word?) actually needed them because they had had surgery for cancer.

None of the implants come from PIP and the only women in Finland who are now worried because they have them in their breasts are those who went across to Tallinn in Estonia for their operation, because it is cheaper there if it is done for cosmetic purposes only. If it is done after a breast cancer operation in Finland, there is a nominal charge only.

The only good thing about my situation is they are paying for the scan,I asked cud I pick where I go I was told no,they probably have a cheap deal with <snip> as well like they did with the implant supplier !

• Advertisement

The only good thing about my situation is they are paying for the scan,I asked cud I pick where I go I was told no,they probably have a cheap deal with <snip> as well like they did with the implant supplier !

wouldnt be surprised buy 2 get the 3rd free :O
    in fairness most people that have been to <snip> said the were good..

kyra123 wrote: »
    u poor thing , check through the earlier posts one of the girls asked a surgeon about explant yesterday i think he said without the implant u would have a deflated looking breast not really sure if they can sort this out.. u should make a consultation and ask about ur options. u are really brave having them out full stop i know for u its for the best, wish i could do it too but i def dont have the bxxxs..

Hi Girls,

I was with a surgeon yesterday and asked about just removing the implants and not replacing them. He said they remove the implant and a part of the capsule and the breast just heals the pocket. He said appearence you breast will look de flated, but he assured me it would not look 'bad' just not as full as before.
    Hope this help anyone that asked

thanks for clearing this up kyra didnt mean to make it sound so awful!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kiwi_real

Glad for advice on <snip>, think I will take my mother with me as she can be quite the scary lady and she was with me in my initial consultation.
    I complained to IMB yesterday as to the fact that I was only informed yesterday by <snip> that I have PIP implants, even though according to their website all patients affected were contacted and scanned in 2010. IMB called me back today to tell me this is the first report she had heard about <snip> not contacting patients and she then asked me if I had my initital consultation was with them, which it was. She is now going to follow up with them. If anyone else only heard from <snip> recently and had their consultation and operation with them, they should also complain to IMB as they have blatantly lied on their website.

I dont doubt the beacon, its the fact I live 15 mins from <snip> and <snip> it wud be so easier for me to get there than having to travel to <snip>.but again why wud they not suit themselves :o

kiwi_real wrote: »
    Glad for advice on <snip>, think I will take my mother with me as she can be quite the scary lady and she was with me in my initial consultation.
    I complained to IMB yesterday as to the fact that I was only informed yesterday by <snip> that I have PIP implants, even though according to their website all patients affected were contacted and scanned in 2010. <snip> from IMB called me back today to tell me this is the first report she had heard about <snip> not contacting patients and she then asked me if I had my initital consultation was with them, which it was. She is now going to follow up with them. If anyone else only heard from <snip> recently and had their consultation and operation with them, they should also complain to IMB as they have blatantly lied on their website.

Ur going to need a strong person with u,might be a good idea to write down all ur queries,I fell to pieces it was very intimidating,,I totally forgot all my arguements I played in my head all week

Does anyone know if <snip> is removing them and replacing them for €3,500 or is this the cost for removal? I got them done when I was 20 and whilst I am currently extremley angry at myself for not doing enough research and at the clinic for being so disreputable, I dont think I could just get them removed without replacing them as I would be extremly self conscious. I never regretted getting them done as I had a very poor self image and they greatly improved my confidence. Whilst I will get them out either way, I am worried about getting the operation in <snip> again. Any experiences? I have my appointment with them next wednesday and from there I will get my scan.

To be honest I am not even sure what to ask?! Apart from why the hell did you choose to put the cheapest implants possible in me. And to wait two years before telling me is ridiculous. I thought all surgeons had to comply with an ethical code? Why isnt the industry more strictly regulated? I wouldnt mind I chose the most expensive company for peace of mind.

he had an anwer for everything so dont expect anything less:(
    He did tell me he wud be there anytime I needed to contact him but I need a replacement on what I already paid for:(

IMB said there will be a European wide report issued in the next month which will give more detail and a recommendation on what stance should be taken European wide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭saulite

kiwi_real wrote: »
    Does anyone know if <snip> is removing them and replacing them for €3,500 or is this the cost for removal? I got them done when I was 20 and whilst I am currently extremley angry at myself for not doing enough research and at the clinic for being so disreputable, I dont think I could just get them removed without replacing them as I would be extremly self conscious. I never regretted getting them done as I had a very poor self image and they greatly improved my confidence. Whilst I will get them out either way, I am worried about getting the operation in <snip> again. Any experiences? I have my appointment with them next wednesday and from there I will get my scan.

They remove and replace 3500 euro in <snip>.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement