Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In spite of these austere time lets give the Queen a new yacht

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

KeithAFC wrote: »
    No. William will be our next king. So there would be no point in paying you to be our king.
    You can keep avoiding the point for as long as you like. I'm not the one funding a family to have lavish parties and call me a commoner for the privilege.
    getz wrote: »
    30% of the words population say different and thats just those within the commonwealth,
    You're assuming that every single person in every single commonwealth country is a Royalist. A bit of a ridiculous assumption, no?

Anyway, if 30% of the world were actually Royalists that still wouldn't make their position any more sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be ironic for the next King Billy to witness the formation of a united Ireland?

:pac:
    I don't think King Billy would accept that. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

I was talking to a group of english lads in Belgium last year. They told me how they hated the royal family and everything they stood for. They said the main fanboys of the royal family were wacko loyalists in NI, Scotland, and richer parts in southern England. Wasnt suprised really..

You can keep avoiding the point for as long as you like. I'm not the one funding a family to have lavish parties and call me a commoner for the privilege.
    But again, it doesn't matter does it? It doesn't effect you, so why do you care so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

neil_hosey wrote: »
    I was talking to a group of english lads in Belgium last year. They told me how they hated the royal family and everything they stood for. They said the main fanboys of the royal family were wacko loyalists in NI, Scotland, and richer parts in southern England. Wasnt suprised really..
    dont forget those royalists fans who live in the republic,one and a half million of them watching the wedding on TV and all those who lined the streets to welcome the queen,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I don't think King Billy would accept that. :p

On this occasion, the first one wouldn't stand a ghost of a chance trying to stop it, and the next one probably wouldn't care.:P

dont forget those royalists fans who live in the republic,one and a half million of them watching the wedding on TV and all those who lined the streets to welcome the queen,
    That's as sensible as your "30% of the World support the Royal family" post. Complete and utter nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

No she doesn't.

pretty sure the aul hag does have one man.
    Think it's called Queen Elizabeth 2 or something like that.

It was docked in Dublin Bay about 10 yrs ago
    Yes I know there was a US plane ship there as well, no not that one.

it was white and black

QE2 or somethin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Queen_Mary_2

she doesn't own it though but it bears her name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

lol.. glad you agree.

Oh i remember the millions lining the streets when the queen of england visted the country lol..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    No she doesn't.

pretty sure the aul hag does have one man.
    Think it's called Queen Elizabeth 2 or something like that.

It was docked in Dublin Bay about 10 yrs ago
    Yes I know there was a US plane ship there as well, no not that one.

it was white and black

QE2 or somethin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Queen_Mary_2

she doesn't own it though but it bears her name

QE2 was a cruise liner.

She had the royal yacht Britannia until 1997.

Do you ever get anything right in your posts?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

This is a great idea. The Queen is a remarkable woman and this year events are being held around the country to celebrate her Diamond Jubilee. The nation giving her a new Royal yacht would be a fitting gift to mark her 60 years of service to the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

neil_hosey wrote: »

Oh i remember the millions lining the streets when the queen of england visted the country lol..

Here you go.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

Let them eat cake Ma'am............Spiffing and all that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

summerskin wrote: »

Do you ever get anything right in your posts?

Anything I say in my posts can be regarded as fact

FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

She'd never use it at her age!

There's lots of things I despise and don't get about monarchy and how people put up with it, but I really don't get how, in this economic climate, no-one at Tory Headquarters said "Hang on, this might seem a bit crass, you know, spending £60 million on a luxury yacht during a recession."

Maybe someone did, or a spin doctor suggested it might not go down well, but they were shouted down.
    But I don't see how no-one thinks a much more appropriate gift would be to endow a hospital or school in her name, or at least channel the funding into things like health and education.

Maybe they suggested that to Liz but she said she really, really hates sick people and children and wants a big yacht.

Even if the yacht does get funded privately, as a quick look at the Daily Mail suggests (interestingly, most of the article's comments seem to be against the idea), the whole thing is obscene.
    Why not put the money toward improving the country she loves so much in a tangible way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I agree Bwatson. I think the Royal wedding was brilliant. We celebrated it and it was a great time to be British.

Someone from "Ulster" proud to be "British", while the staunchest loyalists (the Scots) want to separate. Yeah, definitely a great time to be "British". Identity crisis doesn't even cover it.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

She'd never use it at her age!

There's lots of things I despise and don't get about monarchy and how people put up with it, but I really don't get how, in this economic climate, no-one at Tory Headquarters said "Hang on, this might seem a bit crass, you know, spending £60 million on a luxury yacht during a recession."

Maybe someone did, or a spin doctor suggested it might not go down well, but they were shouted down.
    But I don't see how no-one thinks a much more appropriate gift would be to endow a hospital or school in her name, or at least channel the funding into things like health and education.

Maybe they suggested that to Liz but she said she really, really hates sick people and children and wants a big yacht.

Even if the yacht does get funded privately, as a quick look at the Daily Mail suggests (interestingly, most of the article's comments seem to be against the idea), the whole thing is obscene.

It ain't gonna happen. The last one was scrapped because it was under utilised and too costly.

Still, it is a good excuse for After Hours to get outraged.

bwatson wrote: »

I'm sure the British nation are more than devastated that you and your most sophisticated, elegant of families didn't tune in to an event that in truth was nothing to do with you in the first place.

So proud it wasn't. There's something unhinged about a society that wants to fund a family who fart about all day, doing sweet FA, while the rest of the "commoners" pay for it. No small wonder that British numeracy and literacy levels are among the worst in the Western World.:D

you dont need a royal family,you have banks to do that

So do the Brits.:)

Yes. What is the big deal?

It's an insight into your mentality. And those of your "countrymen".

• Advertisement

commonwealth,
    Joke shop.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Someone from "Ulster" proud to be "British", while the staunchest loyalists (the Scots) want to separate. Yeah, definitely a great time to be "British". Identity crisis doesn't even cover it.:rolleyes:
    No. The SNP want Scottish independence. That is not the same thing as the Scottish people. The Scottish people IMO would most likely say no in a referendum. But it was an irrelevant point anyway.

It's an insight into your mentality. And those of your "countrymen".
    Are people not allowed to support the Royal Family?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

So proud it wasn't. There's something unhinged about a society that wants to fund a family who fart about all day, doing sweet FA, while the rest of the "commoners" pay for it. No small wonder that British numeracy and literacy levels are among the worst in the Western World.:D

Could you back that statement up please. Last survey I saw pout UK schools ahead of Irish ones.

And what is it you think Michael D does that makes him worth his lavish lifestyle?

Could you back that statement up please. Last survey I saw pout UK schools ahead of Irish ones.

And what is it you think Michael D does that makes him worth his lavish lifestyle?

When did I say he was?

And there you go:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1305229/British-workers-poorly-educated-match-migrant-rivals-study-finds.html

and.........

"Some 7 million adults in England - one in five adults - if given the alphabetical index to the Yellow Pages, cannot locate the page reference for plumbers. That is an examples of functional illiteracy. It means that one in five adults has less literacy than is expected of an 11-year-old."

http://www.third-conditional.net/literacy.html

And as for your assertion regarding Ireland:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/dec/07/world-education-rankings-maths-science-reading

"Great" Britain indeed. Says it all really.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The British Royals were chosen by God to the Brit's No 1 welfare family.

Like 'Shameless'.

Batsy wrote: »
    This is a great idea. The Queen is a remarkable woman and this year events are being held around the country to celebrate her Diamond Jubilee. The nation giving her a new Royal yacht would be a fitting gift to mark her 60 years of service to sponging off the nation.

FYP.:)

Are people not allowed to support the Royal Family?

Only dimwits.:)

Only dimwits.:)
    That is your opinion. There is plenty of people who like them. I honestly don't see the big problem.

• Advertisement

Batsy wrote: »
    This is a great idea. The Queen is a remarkable woman and this year events are being held around the country to celebrate her Diamond Jubilee. The nation giving her a new Royal yacht would be a fitting gift to mark her 60 years of service to the nation.
    What service?

Using the money of her country to dress herself and her family in ridiculously expensive clothes, greet the heads of state of other countries and go on publicly funded "tours"?

Advertisement