Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In spite of these austere time lets give the Queen a new yacht

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

bwatson wrote: »
    You complain of something as being gaudy and tacky just moments after referrent to Elizabeth II as a "cnut". I shall assume that wasn't simply another mistake but a way around the swear filter. This is a lady who is monarch of 16 states and the head of the commonwealth, and the best you can do is call her a "cnut". You have no right to talk about others being tacky! Not doing anything to dismiss stereotypes there are you?

I'm sure the British nation are more than devastated that you and your most sophisticated, elegant of families didn't tune in to an event that in truth was nothing to do with you in the first place.
    I agree Bwatson. I think the Royal wedding was brilliant. We celebrated it and it was a great time to be British.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Which Queen? There is more than one out there and Ireland doesnt have a monarchy.
    And why would WE give this Queen a new yacht?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

bwatson wrote: »
    You complain of something as being gaudy and tacky just moments after referrent to Elizabeth II as a "cnut". I shall assume that wasn't simply another mistake but a way around the swear filter. This is a lady who is monarch of 16 states and the head of the commonwealth, and the best you can do is call her a "cnut". You have no right to talk about others being tacky! Not doing anything to dismiss stereotypes there are you?

I'm sure the British nation are more than devastated that you and your most sophisticated, elegant of families didn't tune in to an event that in truth was nothing to do with you in the first place.
    Slightly irrelevant, but for what it's worth I think the woman is one of the rudest women in British public life.

If you were to write a book on social etiquette, you certainly wouldn't look to the two people at the head of the British royal family for inspiration. I cringe a little every time I see her bungling the most straightforward of interactions, or transgressing the most basic of what ordinary decent people would consider good manners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

getz wrote: »
    ups foot in mouth ,

Explain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

later10 wrote: »
    Slightly irrelevant, but for what it's worth I think the woman is one of the rudest women in British public life.

If you were to write a book on social etiquette, you certainly wouldn't look to the two people at the head of the British royal family for inspiration. I cringe a little every time I see her bungling the most straightforward of interactions, or transgressing the most basic of what most decent people would consider good manners.

What?

Wtf gives you that idea. On her recent tour over here, everybody that met her had nothing but praise for her.

I think now you are just looking for random insults to throw around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

What a kick in the teeth to the Irish Taxpayer. 800 years of oppression and now this, a massive display of one-upman-ship to the Irish people. I say feck the recession it's time to keep up with the Jones and Enda Kenny should buy one of the Airbus A380's as a new Government Jet (provided of course he can't get one of the Shuttles of NASA). The let us all climb aboard and sip champagne as we fly over the Queen on her yacht and laugh, laugh out loud.

:( Although a yacht sounds nice, I wonder if we ask, could we get a spin on it?

The current queen of England happens to do the 'job' with a lot of style and dedication. However, the institution is still ridiculous. The lavish lifestyle is ridiculous and many of the hangers on of the monarchy are absolutely unnecessary expenses!

they could easily cut the monarchy costs by 90% and just retain the monarch herself and immediate family as figure heads.

The current setup is just a vast waste of public money.

What?

Wtf gives you that idea. On her recent tour over here, everybody that met her had nothing but praise for her.

I think now you are just looking for random insults to throw around.

I wasn't talking about the recent tour to Ireland. I'm making a general observation. It's not an insult; if someone is seriously 'insulted' that I find the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh slightly obnoxious, I think they probably need to get a better hobby than defending the royal family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Solair wrote: »
    Explain...
    that a person from catholic ireland finds it strange that the head of the church of england also should be looked upon as being appointed by god, [apparently]

• Advertisement

that a person from catholic ireland finds it strange that the head of the church of england also should be looked upon as being appointed by god, [apparently]

A) I'm not Catholic.

B) Ireland is not "Catholic". It's a Republic, and yes the constitution is a bit ridiculous in terms of its references to God in the preamble, but it does not have hereditary monarchs who are also head of the church. It also guarantees religious freedom and specifically forbids the state from making any church 'established', which is very much not the case in the UK.
    Instead, the UK has a monarch who double-jobs as head of the Church of England and the Church of England bishops sit in the upper house of the legislature as the "Lords Spiritual".

I am by no means saying that Ireland's situation is perfect. Far from it, it needs to do a lot to remove some of the nonsense that remains the legacy of Dev & McQuaid.

However, really I think it's you who has put your foot in it.

catholic ireland
    How quaint! I just want to pick you up and squeeze a little bit of 1955.

A) I'm not Catholic.

B) Ireland is not "Catholic". It's a Republic, and yes the constitution is a bit ridiculous in terms of its references to God in the preamble, but it does not have hereditary monarchs who are also head of the church. It also guarantees religious freedom and specifically forbids the state from making any church 'established', which is very much not the case in the UK.
    Instead, the UK has a monarch who double-jobs as head of the Church of England and the Church of England bishops sit in the upper house of the legislature as the "Lords Spiritual".

I am by no means saying that Ireland's situation is perfect. Far from it, it needs to do a lot to remove some of the nonsense that remains the legacy of Dev & McQuaid.

However, really I think it's you who has put your foot in it.
    i must have read it wrong,i was under impression that the irish tax payer was paying out for the churches crimes, anyway ,over 2 million people came to london for the royal wedding,if each one had only spent £100,that would have represented a income of £200 million for the capital city,whereas the wedding cost around £25 million,the royal family brings in millions of pounds in income to the UK,at a total cost to the british tax payer of around 62 pence per year,the money the goverment pays the monarch[civil list] is fixed at £7.9 million which covers less than half the cost of the royal engagements,therefore,the queen does not spunge off the state,she contributes far more to the treasury than anyone else. there are also a number of charities in the republic that members of the royal family are patrons,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,978 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

i must have read it wrong,i was under impression that the irish tax payer was paying out for the churches crimes, anyway ,over 2 million people came to london for the royal wedding,if each one had only spent £100,that would have represented a income of £200 million for the capital city,whereas the wedding cost around £25 million,the royal family brings in millions of pounds in income to the UK,at a total cost to the british tax payer of around 62 pence per year,the money the goverment pays the monarch[civil list] is fixed at £7.9 million which covers less than half the cost of the royal engagements,therefore,the queen does not spunge off the state,she contributes far more to the treasury than anyone else. there are also a number of charities in the republic that members of the royal family are patrons,

Are they a bunch of Bonos, telling everyone to cough up, and at the same time hanging onto their stash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I just feel really sorry for British people who are so deeply brainwashed that they think having a monarch is a good thing. It's nothing more than a multi-billion pound scam. How many are aware that Kate Middleton was a (vaginal?)virgin until her wedding night and that this archaic requirement would have been dictated by senior members of the royal family?
    Following the embarrassment caused to Diana by having a public declaration of her virginity made before her wedding to Charles they kept quieter this time around but if Will had managed to knock her up before the wedding that would have been the entire racket down the swanee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

latenia wrote: »
    I just feel really sorry for British people who are so deeply brainwashed that they think having a monarch is a good thing. It's nothing more than a multi-billion pound scam. How many are aware that Kate Middleton was a (vaginal?)virgin until her wedding night and that this archaic requirement would have been dictated by senior members of the royal family?
    Following the embarrassment caused to Diana by having a public declaration of her virginity made before her wedding to Charles they kept quieter this time around but if Will had managed to knock her up before the wedding that would have been the entire racket down the swanee.

What a load of total tripe! I'm British but definitely not a royalist and even I can see how much they generate through tourism, after years living in London.

As the the "virgin" bollix, have you been reading old historical fiction or something??? Total sh1te!

Try living in the UK before you spout drivel like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,978 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There are probably more staunch royalists in NI than there are in England, Scotland and Wales, and I'd say that the majority in those places don't give a sh1t either way, and just let the royals get on with it.

summerskin wrote: »
    As the the "virgin" bollix, have you been reading old historical fiction or something??? Total sh1te!

It is a fact that Diana and not Camilla was approved as Charles' bride because of her virginity. Her uncle made a public statement before the wedding confirming this. A simple google search will show this to be true. If Kate became pregnant before they were married the entire scam topples due to laws of succession.

summerskin wrote: »
    What a load of total tripe! I'm British but definitely not a royalist and even I can see how much they generate through tourism, after years living in London.

there are a lot of irish and british people actually believe that kind of tripe ,

This thread's starting to feel a bit like HEAT magazine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Doesn't the aul hag have an ocean liner already ??
    is it not big enough for her ??

Christ

A)
    B) Ireland is not "Catholic". It's a Republic................It also guarantees religious freedom and specifically forbids the state from making any church 'established.

Shouldn't this be in the "You laugh you lose" board???

93% of primary schools run by the Catholic Church.
    The state broadcaster plays the Angelus at 6pm every day.
    The sale of Alcohol is banned on Good Friday.

Yep, sounds like a secular republic to me.

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Doesn't the aul hag have an ocean liner already ??
    is it not big enough for her ??

Christ

No she doesn't.

It is a fact that Diana and not Camilla was approved as Charles' bride because of her virginity. Her uncle made a public statement before the wedding confirming this. A simple google search will show this to be true. If Kate became pregnant before they were married the entire scam topples due to laws of succession.

So despite living together since University, you really think Wills and Kate never got past the holding hands bit??

Shouldn't this be in the "You laugh you lose" board???

93% of primary schools run by the Catholic Church.
    The state broadcaster plays the Angelus at 6pm every day.
    The sale of Alcohol is banned on Good Friday.

Yep, sounds like a secular republic to me.
    It isn't a secular republic. Anyone who thinks it is wrong.

So despite living together since University, you really think Wills and Kate never got past the holding hands bit??

I reckon he used the servants' entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Scanned most of the thread and didn't see it but I presume someone pointed out that this proposed new yacht will be privately funded so won't cost the British tax payer anything. Also it will be mainly used for training young people on all things sailing related. Lizzie will just have a few private cabins in it and can use it from time to time.

But as and Irishman living in England I don't mind the Royal Family too much. Yes I don't like some of my taxes going to a family that is already rich but I knew that before coming to work here so I either get on with it or refuse to work here. The tourists do love them and Buckingham Palace is always busy. Plus I got a day off for the wedding last year. Getting a day off for the Jubilee this year. So that's not bad! :D

some people want believe anything,you know if you are on the roman walls of chester at dusk,and you see a welshman you are allowed to shoot him with a bow and arrow,also the isle of mann is still at war with russia,is does meen you can act on them,

some people want believe anything,you know if you are on the roman walls of chester at dusk,and you see a welshman you are allowed to shoot him with a bow and arrow,also the isle of mann is still at war with russia,is does meen you can act on them,
    Really? :D

• Advertisement

I reckon he used the servants' entrance.

Well he is 1/4 Greek....

Advertisement