Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

So the little man is now sleeping for 4-5 hours at night and then perhaps 3-4 hours after which is fantastic but now my boobs are huge and rock hard in the morning. He will be 5 weeks on Monday and I was wondering if it's ok to start expressing now.

Ideally I'd like to start him on bottles by wk 8 so would like to start expressing and freezing some milk as we've got a hotel voucher as a first anniversary present (which is today!) and we'd like to use it in a few weeks.I was thinking I'd get my mam to mind him overnight
    so we could have a mini break and a full nights sleep!

Is it realistic to start expressing now at 5 weeks with a view to giving him a bottle at 8 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

So the little man is now sleeping for 4-5 hours at night and then perhaps 3-4 hours after which is fantastic but now my boobs are huge and rock hard in the morning. He will be 5 weeks on Monday and I was wondering if it's ok to start expressing now.

Ideally I'd like to start him on bottles by wk 8 so would like to start expressing and freezing some milk as we've got a hotel voucher as a first anniversary present (which is today!) and we'd like to use it in a few weeks.I was thinking I'd get my mam to mind him overnight
    so we could have a mini break and a full nights sleep!

Is it realistic to start expressing now at 5 weeks with a view to giving him a bottle at 8 weeks?

Yay! My wee man was 5 weeks when I started expressing. I too had a deadline - a friend's wedding. And to be honest, it was good as it gave me the kick up the ass I needed to get started on it. I started with a manual pump, just to see if I could do it and after using that a few times, I went a bought a Medela. Now is an ideal time if he's starting to sleep longer and if you're full in the morning, that's the best time to do it.

One word of warning though, don't overdo it or your boobs will never settle down! Once a day to start is grand; you'll have a stash in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

OMG so sore. I have 1 wk old here, 3rd child, other 2 bf for 6mths each. I cannot seem to sort out his latch.
    I am so sore,each feed is agony.
    He is active and vigorous feeder, i have started to swaddle him to latch him on,as otherwise I am fighting his little hands. He jumps on the nipple everytime and i just cant get his mouth open wide enough. I have huge breasts (h cup) and he just looks like he has such a small little mouth. His top lip seems to protrude over his bottom one and I dont really know what I can try to get this sorted.
    He sucks his fingers all the time when not feeding and he gets frustrated if he gets milk if he is just looking for a comfort suck like when he is making a poo.I have given him a soother for those times - he is well flagging his need already bless him.
    Anyone got any ideas?
    I started using nipple shields today and they have really helped so far. Was thinking I would use them for a week or 2 to see if I could get past the sensitivity or until he gets a little bigger and can manage me better?
    Had over 2 weeks of agony with my dd 2 yrs ago and then i got her latch sorted, and pain only lasted another 1/2 days, just cant seem to sort his out.
    Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Hiya lynski - congrats and sorry it's not going blissfully for you!

My lad was similar, a real barracuda and I'd never have managed without the soother. Have you tried expressing a wee bit before each feed? Or feed lying down - I found this great for being able to manoeuvre my boy's head back until his mouth was wide open and then bring him quickly to the latch. About half of the times for the first 10 days or so I'd have to break the latch with my little finger because it either would be too sore or he wouldn't be on right. He also has a tongue tie that seemed to make him suck harder at the start of a feed but he soon settled, so maybe check for that or get your PHN to.

If it doesn't get easier in the next couple of days, can you get referred on to a lactation consultant? Usually there's one attached to the hospital where you gave birth - you are allowed to attend them for free for the first 6 weeks after the birth (at least in my hospital I was told this was the case). You'll know yourself if it's not right, don't suffer if you don't have to, there are people there to give a hand if needed. Do you have a local Cuidiu or La Leche League group that could help?

I expressed for the first time this afternoon so my first stash of 3oz is in the freezer!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

ouch ouch ouch:( giving up is so tempting but going to keep going for now.

Are things going any better for you now Moonbeam?

I've started feeding him in a lying down position at night now and it's much better all round because he might just fall back asleep and it's less stressful for me.

Did people find the breast shells leaked when you're lying down. Sometimes it's because their full especially if I have my let down or it's because the suction fails. I'm kind of fed up of being soaked in breastmilk. Is this just an occupational hazard?

Did people find the breast shells leaked when you're lying down. Sometimes it's because their full especially if I have my let down or it's because the suction fails. I'm kind of fed up of being soaked in breastmilk. Is this just an occupational hazard?
    Yeah, I couldn't use the shells when lying down to feed. I'd usually place a towel between my breasts to soak up the inevitable leakage from the top one when babs was feeding from the bottom one. I also had to sleep with a towel around me or I'd wake up soaked - breast pads sometimes just weren't enough! A few times I resorted to putting maternity pads inside my bra at night or even during the day if I was our and I knew the next feed would be a bit delayed because of baby sleeping in the car or whatever - the pads worked quite well even if they were a bit bulky (luckily it was winter and lumpy jumper time). I did get a bit sick of being constantly damp and leaky, but once my supply settled down properly I rarely leaked (granted it took about 4 months to get to that stage:eek:).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Yes, thanks

I had an infection so alot less sore now:)

Isn't it amazing how things can change ie improve in a day or two. Glad to hear it's gotten better for you. Other breastfeeding mums told me to always concentrate on today and not be thinking ahead to tomorrow or next week especially if you're having a bad day and it's so true.

• Advertisement

Yup,
    One day giving up seems like the only option the next day you are curled up on the couch feeding the little one happily.
    When I get to stressed she gets either earlier expressed milk or a bottle and I find the little break helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I also had to sleep with a towel around me or I'd wake up soaked - breast pads sometimes just weren't enough!

Had to laugh at this - sounds so familiar....at one stage, I had a waterproof mattress cover, a towel wrapped around me, a bra, vest and breastpads! It does get easier, your boobs start settling down and you start losing the layers!

Had to post this, it is so close to my experience in the past week or so. Might help someone having problems.

http://thetruthaboutbreastfeeding.com/category/research/biological-nurturing/ Here is a quote:
    The reclinining group did not need to line up the nose and nipple, and make sure the baby’s mouth was open wide enough before initiating the latch: as the baby was on top, gravity pulled his tongue and chin forward, allowing him to attach himself, even when he was sleepy. Gravity also automatically ensured a close fit between the baby’s chin and the mother’s breast, facilitating deep suckling and producing the ear and jaw movements that indicate successful feeding.

Perhaps the most interesting result, however, was that babies exhibited reflexes that helped feeding when their mothers were reclined, but hindered it when their mothers were upright. When they were lying on their mothers’ tummies, head-righting and -lifting reflexes allowed the baby to orientate himself for successful latching on. When mothers were upright however, these irregular, jerky head movements had the opposite effect: the head bobbing that resembled ‘nodding’ when a mother was reclined was perceived as ‘head butting’ when a baby was held sideways against an upright mother. The gravitational forces that had helped attachment in reclining postures dragged babies away from their mothers when they sat up. It was harder to keep the baby latched on, and mothers reacted by tightening their grip, resulting in back arching and arm and leg cycling that appeared like thrashing or flailing.

We seem to be in a phase at the moment. Last week was the 6th week and he was feeding slightly more than usual until Friday evening when he fed constantly for 4.5hrs. There was nothing left in the boobs and he'd scream his head off after a minute or two. Eventually I went to bed and his dad gave him a bottle of expressed which satiated him.

Since then he's much hungrier and feeding every hour and half to two hours. He's not sleeping much at all (day or night) and it's constant frenetic
    feeding.

I'm really hoping we get back to normality soon as I'm shattered and at my wits end. I'm just glad I started expressing last week as his dad can help out with the last evening feed so I can get some sleep.

We reached breaking point last night. I'd had the day from hell. The little fella just wouldn't sleep and kept feeding. To top it off my front tooth which I had crowned last year broke. That was it for me. My husband got a text to say leave work on time and come straight home.

I wentbto bed and left my husband with a bottle to give at 11pm. I woke to hear shrieking cries at 11 and soon after I was given a hysterical baby who wouldn't take the bottle.

So last night I said I was done with breastfeeding and we'd start formula today. I'm worn out, run down, picking up every bug going and the baby is
    constantly starving. On top of that he won't sleep. So what happened? He slept for 5 hours and today things don't seem as bad. It's like he knows when mammy just can't take anymore.

One say at a time is definitely the only way to take it. So deep breaths and let's see how today goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

quick question I finished breast feeding my not so little fella just over two weeks ago I had been breast feeding for 6mths and two weeks question is how long until my boobs stop producing milk????:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 magsybagsy1

Its so tough the first time I think, I tried and literally had to give up on my DD as it was so painful I was actually loosing sleep. Now this time I have been able to do it, I think its supposedly great and all that but every mother knows whats best...I nearly forgot what I was typing there, actually speaking of which I struggle with the remembering which breast as well and found these great tools for either breast or bottle feeds

I just think women are so hard on themselves about breast feeding and it doesnt have to be like that x

Anyway sorry I am a tad scattered at the moment - its the tiredness :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

edellc wrote: »
    quick question I finished breast feeding my not so little fella just over two weeks ago I had been breast feeding for 6mths and two weeks question is how long until my boobs stop producing milk????:o

Mine are teenagers now so I cannot remember how long it was but I remember being advised to avoid stimulating my breasts and a very good tip is to pop a dark green cabbage leave inside your bra as it's known to help dry up your milk. Most midwives and PHNs used to say that in my breastfeeding days and it works.

We reached breaking point last night. I'd had the day from hell. The little fella just wouldn't sleep and kept feeding. To top it off my front tooth which I had crowned last year broke. That was it for me. My husband got a text to say leave work on time and come straight home.

I wentbto bed and left my husband with a bottle to give at 11pm. I woke to hear shrieking cries at 11 and soon after I was given a hysterical baby who wouldn't take the bottle.

So last night I said I was done with breastfeeding and we'd start formula today. I'm worn out, run down, picking up every bug going and the baby is
    constantly starving. On top of that he won't sleep. So what happened? He slept for 5 hours and today things don't seem as bad. It's like he knows when mammy just can't take anymore.

One say at a time is definitely the only way to take it. So deep breaths and let's see how today goes!

*hugs* know how you feel.
    I started giving her a bottle at night for my sake and my 2 year olds sake. She still never seems full from a breast feed so if she is really cranky she gets a bottle.

I read somewhere that peppermint tea is supposed to dry up your supply. Don't know how true it is but since reading it I've given up drinking it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I managed to stop breastfeeding without any engorgement. I'd let my breasts get as full as possible then just express enough to prevent engorgement. I didn't have to express any more after a week. I was still producing a small amount for about 5 months but didn't need breastpads after the first week.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I managed to stop breastfeeding without any engorgement. I'd let my breasts get as full as possible then just express enough to prevent engorgement. I didn't have to express any more after a week. I was still producing a small amount for about 5 months but didn't need breastpads after the first week.

thats what my position is at the moment but just want to be able to go and buy a proper bra and as i was big to begin with they are expensive also kinda want my body back too feel guilty for saying that but i think 6mths is enough
    thanks for the advise will try the cabbage leaves and see if they work but glad they are not engorged and sore :)

I think i have mastitis again ggrrr. One boob has a sore point, I've massaged and hand expressed, fed the little lad from it and it's still sore. I've been shivery since last night although felt better when I hand expressed and fed from it. He emptied it an hour ago but feel wiped.

I'm in bed with a cold pack and a hot water bottle and I'll give him another feed in 30 mins. He's almost 8 weeks so at that stage you'd assume you don't have to worry about these things anymore. Right now I don't feel as bad as I did the first time I got it so I'm hoping to nip it in the bud myself so I won't have to take anymore antibiotics.

oh no at eight weeks is exactly when you should be worrying about those things thats when the milk is seriously coming in and I know with me my boobs filled up so quickly and where leaking everywhere at 8wks
    i was told to try cabbage leaves to help with the pain but i didnt do that instead i expressed into bottles for him and as i had been made redundant with my job had nothing better to do that sit on my arse and feed him when ever he was hungry i did however after twenty minutes on each breast stop and top him up with formula it worked wonders for me and i kept the feeding up until he was 6mths he is now 7mths and in 9-12mths clothes so it didnt do him any harm :)

best of luck with it all and hopefully the engorgement stops soon and your only producing when needed

Thanks edellc, funny thing I'd I'm not engorged. I'm lumpy on one side. I had a temperature earlier today but thankfully that's cone back down to normal. The shivering has stopped too. I had a bath a couple of hours ago and massaged the affected areas. I'm feeding every 2 hours starting with that boob.

Rest, rest and more rest for me tomorrow. My husband has been fantastic and my little fella has been so placid and quiet all day. I swear breastfed babies intuitively know when their mammies aren't well.

I'll do anything to ensure I don't have to take another course of antibiotics and I think I've caught it early enough to treat myself. I also got great advice from other breastfeeding mums in my parent and baby group.

Not looking forward to feeding every 2 hours tonight :( but it's better that taking fluclox for 10 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

its the cabbage that looks like iceberg lettuce that ye need and
    MOST IMPORTANT
    keep it in the fridge!!

Thanks edellc, funny thing I'd I'm not engorged. I'm lumpy on one side. I had a temperature earlier today but thankfully that's cone back down to normal. The shivering has stopped too. I had a bath a couple of hours ago and massaged the affected areas. I'm feeding every 2 hours starting with that boob.

Rest, rest and more rest for me tomorrow. My husband has been fantastic and my little fella has been so placid and quiet all day. I swear breastfed babies intuitively know when their mammies aren't well.

I'll do anything to ensure I don't have to take another course of antibiotics and I think I've caught it early enough to treat myself. I also got great advice from other breastfeeding mums in my parent and baby group.

Not looking forward to feeding every 2 hours tonight :( but it's better that taking fluclox for 10 days!

I managed to avoid mastitis but definitely had the onset of it a couple of times. I was told by an aunt to take a hot shower and use a wide-toothed comb (an afro comb if you know them) to 'comb' the breast gently but firmly from the outside in towards the nipple while running hot water over the area. It worked every time, although I did sometimes end up taking 3 or 4 hot showers in a day - nice when you're a bit shivery! I took paracetamol for the pain too (GPs advice).

Thanks Cat Melodeon. I seem to be turning a lot of corners lately but thankfully I feel so much better today. The lumps have gone and I've fed the little lad from that one first at each feed.

I was shocked at how quick it came on so I'll definitely be more vigilant from now on.

I must try get one of those combs too as I've read that tip in quite a few places.

I am not sure if this thread is still alive or not, but I thought I would bump it up as there has been a few questions in other threads lately and it was great to have them on one place previously.

• Advertisement

Wow, the 15th March was our absolute worst breastfeeding day and I knew the next day if we'd survived that day and night from hell we'd keep going. It's amazing to read back on that post because he's almost 1 now (in 2 weeks yay!) and down to 1 feed at bedtime and I'm now entering extended breastfeeding territory as I'll keep that 1 feed up for as long as he wants it or until 4 years of age whichever comes first ;)

Advertisement