Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why Jurassic Park was ruined for me

• 08-01-2012 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

Just flicking through the channels there now and I see that my all time favourite movie from when I was but a wee lad was on. Jurrasic Park.

I was in awe watching it as a kid, here was my favourite creatures in front of me on the big screen, each lovingly recreated and they looked real (even today its impressive). I had everything to do with the movie, lunchboxes, toys etc. And all through my teens I loved it, it was a Christmas tradition almost. I bought the VHS and when i got a DVD player I bought the DVD. I hummed the music on a daily basis and still do, it would be my favourite movie of all time except for one thing.

Its that fcuking scene where NEdry is went off the road and needs a winch out. Every single time i see it i hope that maybe all the other times i've made it up. That it was all in my head that this time maybe... this time it won't happen but it does.

Nedry falls over and there is a sound.

A cartoon/slapstick sound of a wo wo woooo that is nearly whistled anytime someone falls over. it was just on TV3 there now and I heard it again and it ruins the movie for me, I can forgive little mistakes in dino names and general movie mistakes as unless you are really looking for them 99% of the time you don't notice and it doesn't ruin a movie. But this, THIS.. it beggers belief. I cringe at it, you can't ignore it.

And for that reason this movie would probably only just about make my top 10.

It sounds pety but its how it makes me feel. Doesw anyone else agree or am I taking it wayyyy to seriously?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

danniemcq wrote: »
    Its that fcuking scene where NEdry is went off the road and needs a winch out. Every single time i see it i hope that maybe all the other times i've made it up. That it was all in my head that this time maybe... this time it won't happen but it does.

Nedry falls over and there is a sound.

A cartoon/slapstick sound of a wo wo woooo that is nearly whistled anytime someone falls over.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Didn't you know? That was the hooting of a woodland dinosaur. The timing was just a coincidence! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Yeah it's there alright........although I always assumed that sound was the cable retracting when he lets go of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Yeah it's there alright........although I always assumed that sound was the cable retracting when he lets go of it.

9 seconds in he falls, the sound goes weeeeeee and he rolls down the hill and then picks up the cable that is down beside him

with the amount he had pulled out before falling i could see it hitting the bottom, there is no cable automatically retracting

DAMN YOU SPIELBERG!

also the cable isn't pulled tight after he attaches it to a tree so i'd assume there is again no auto retract!

juan.kerr wrote: »
    What?

9 seconds into the clip above when he falls that noise!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Now ruined for me too, thanks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

That's gas, never noticed that before. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 GabbyJay

Galvasean wrote: »
    Didn't you know? That was the hooting of a woodland dinosaur. The timing was just a coincidence! :pac:

This is true I believe... it's the same whistle that the small dinosaurs make, it's just bad timing (or a joke by the sound editors) to put it right as he slips. OP you should try to forgive this one.

We should all burn our copies forthwith. If this is enough to put you off something and scar you for life, I'd hate to see what happens when you girlfriend/boyfriend gets a spot or your kid farts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

First world problems.

• Advertisement

GabbyJay wrote: »
    This is true I believe... it's the same whistle that the small dinosaurs make, it's just bad timing (or a joke by the sound editors) to put it right as he slips. OP you should try to forgive this one.

Exactly, it's just an Easter Egg. A little tacky maybe but kind of clever in a comical way.

First world problems.

Because we live in the 'First world'. What other sort of problems would we have?

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Because we live in the 'First world'. What other sort of problems would we have?

I think he is implying that it is nitpicking a very minor perceived fault in a classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

What ruins it way more for me is that brontosaurus wasn't actually real. That whole scene at the start where they look all majestic. That dinosaur never existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

From IMDb FAQ:
    What is the cartoon whistle sound when Nedry slips down the waterfall?
    Contrary to popular belief, the sound is not a comedic insertion by Spielberg. In fact, it is the sound of him wrenching the tow cable from the front of the jeep as he slips down the waterfall.

Shryke wrote: »
    That dinosaur never existed.

Pheobe, is that you?

What ruins it way more for me is that brontosaurus wasn't actually real. That whole scene at the start where they look all majestic. That dinosaur never existed.

Actually it's supposed to be a Brachiosaurus, however it more closely resembles a similar dinosaur called Giraffatitan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Just watched that clip four times before I could hear it. Heard it.

But can't understand how on earth that could ruin a whole movie for you OP - particularly this movie, which is amazing in so many other aspects.

If something like this can bother you so much..well..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

they were in the land before time, that's enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Maybe it was the dinosaur laughing?!

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Now ruined for me too, thanks :(
    Sorry :(
    First world problems.

yip i know
    MyKeyG wrote: »
    From IMDb FAQ:

i've listened to it again and again and the sound is completly different to the sound that the winch makes when its pulled out originally
    Fittle wrote: »
    Just watched that clip four times before I could hear it. Heard it.

But can't understand how on earth that could ruin a whole movie for you OP - particularly this movie, which is amazing in so many other aspects.

If something like this can bother you so much..well..

as i said before i can forgive movie mistakes and mess ups but this is something different, this was something that was ADDED to the movie for no reason other than it seems for sh*ts and giggles.

I mean the Dinosaur name mistake could be taken two ways, either they were confused as brontosaurus and apatosaurus were originally thought to be different but turns out after much investigation that they were the same so it was called apatosarus so it could be a play to make a subtle joke at science with that or a genuine mistake where the writers got it as wrong as scientists had before!

but unless you are actually looking for mistakes like this you will usually miss them, but this added horribleness just makes me cringe

I mean the Dinosaur name mistake could be taken two ways, either they were confused as brontosaurus and apatosaurus were originally thought to be different but turns out after much investigation that they were the same so it was called apatosarus so it could be a play to make a subtle joke at science with that or a genuine mistake where the writers got it as wrong as scientists had before!

Ive said it before and I'll say it again Brontosaurus and Brachiosaurus are not the same thing! In Jurassic Park they are called Brachiosaurus.

41ntiYAqqbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Besides, it looks more like a Giraffatitan anyway... It was a common mistake at the time to mix up Brachiosaurus with Giraffatitan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

All I can picture now is Al from Toy Story 2.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I hear they're doing a worldwide recall of all DVDs and Blu-rays because of this.

Ive said it before and I'll say it again Brontosaurus and Brachiosaurus are not the same thing! In Jurassic Park they are called Brachiosaurus.

41ntiYAqqbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Besides, it looks more like a Giraffatitan anyway... It was a common mistake at the time to mix up Brachiosaurus with Giraffatitan.

sorry my bad,
    TIM (cont'd)
    Hey! Those are brontosauruses - - I mean, those are
    brachiosauruses.

GRANT
    It's okay to call them brontosaurs, Tim. It's a great
    name. It's a romantic name. It means "thunder lizard".

TIM
    (digging that)
    "Thunder lizard!"

and
    He gets out of the jeep, and Ellie follows. Grant points to the
    thing and manages to put together his first words since its appearance:

GRANT
    THAT'S A DINOSAUR!

- - a dinosaur. Chewing the branches. Technically, it's a
    brachiosaur, of the sauropod family, but we've always called it
    brontosaurus. It CRUCHES the branch in its mouth, which is some
    thirty-five feet up off the ground, at the end of its long, arching
    neck. It stares down at the people in the car with a pleasant, stupid
    gaze.

my earlier point that unless you actually knew dinosaurs like you obviously do this would have passed straight over your head.

There are lots of examples like this in movies where someone who knows the subject matter will notice things that others don't.

With the sound its something thats really obvious and once heard cannot be unheard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Don't remember any Brontosaurus in the first movie.
    They did exist, it had just already been discovered and named.

my earlier point that unless you actually knew dinosaurs like you obviously do this would have passed straight over your head.

There are lots of examples like this in movies where someone who knows the subject matter will notice things that others don't.

That's true. For me dinosaurs are my 'thing' that I notice stuff that most would not notice or even care about.
    FWIW, the use of the term 'brontosaur' in Jurassic Park is derived from colloquialism, in that Joe Soap with little or no knowledge of dinosaurs often refers to all sauropods (the long necked dinosaurs) as Brontosaurus as the name is ingrained in popular culture.
    al28283 wrote: »
    Don't remember any Brontosaurus in the first movie.
    They did exist, it had just already been discovered and named.

Exactly. Here is more info on the confusion (for those interested):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brontosaurus#Classification_and_species

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

ya i remember noticing that few years back- and I always cringe at that moment, still great film though regardless..

GOD I LOVE DINOSAURS
    Dinosaur-02-june.gif

When Nedry steals the embryo's from the cooling thing, some of the dino's names are spelt wrong

• Advertisement

FWIW, the use of the term 'brontosaur' in Jurassic Park is derived from colloquialism

When do they mention a Brontosaur in Jurassic Park?
    The only time I can think of it is when Tim says it and then corrects himself, but thats just a kid getting the wrong dino.

Advertisement