Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Why Jurassic Park was ruined for me

Comments

• posted this in palaeontology the other day.

• YES! I was wondering what the funk that sound was. Thanks for the (justified) rant and the answer (posted above).

• Bizzarist complaint about a movie ever.

Advise OP to get treated for OCD.

• Amazing. I never noticed this before, now I'll never be able to forget it!

• I'm still waiting for the directors cut with extra dinosaurs that Jack was watching in that one episide of Father Ted...
    C'mon Speilberg, get your thumb out!

• Advertisement

• Even with mistakes Jurassic Park is one of the best movies ever, won't hear anything bad said against it, watched it again today and the scene where the t-rex first breaks through the fence and steps out onto the road is still one of the best scenes of cinema, and I don't care how far CGI has come, it looks fricking real!:D

• If anything the OP's complaint makes the movie better!

• rather than the cable retracting I would guess its the sound of him pulling the cable out at speed as he falls

• Heard the sound the first time I watched it on release and, to be quite honest, apart from making me smile inside at how (I assumed it was meant to be comical) it was so out of place, it didn't ruin diddly-squat for me.

Of all the things that could ruin a classic movie for something, I certainly didn't expect that to be it.

• I always just thought it was the sound of his feet slipping on the wet rocks, doesnt bother me a bit

• Advertisement

• danniemcq wrote: »
    Just flicking through the channels there now and I see that my all time favourite movie from when I was but a wee lad was on. Jurrasic Park.

I was in awe watching it as a kid, here was my favourite creatures in front of me on the big screen, each lovingly recreated and they looked real (even today its impressive). I had everything to do with the movie, lunchboxes, toys etc. And all through my teens I loved it, it was a Christmas tradition almost. I bought the VHS and when i got a DVD player I bought the DVD. I hummed the music on a daily basis and still do, it would be my favourite movie of all time except for one thing.

Its that fcuking scene where NEdry is went off the road and needs a winch out. Every single time i see it i hope that maybe all the other times i've made it up. That it was all in my head that this time maybe... this time it won't happen but it does.

Nedry falls over and there is a sound.

A cartoon/slapstick sound of a wo wo woooo that is nearly whistled anytime someone falls over. it was just on TV3 there now and I heard it again and it ruins the movie for me, I can forgive little mistakes in dino names and general movie mistakes as unless you are really looking for them 99% of the time you don't notice and it doesn't ruin a movie. But this, THIS.. it beggers belief. I cringe at it, you can't ignore it.

And for that reason this movie would probably only just about make my top 10.

It sounds pety but its how it makes me feel. Doesw anyone else agree or am I taking it wayyyy to seriously?

Clever girl

• Ah the sound never bothered me at all, but I still love Nedry's line -

"Im gonna run you over when I come back down"

He says it so . . . expectantly :D

• al28283 wrote: »
    When Nedry steals the embryo's from the cooling thing, some of the dino's names are spelt wrong

It's mad. They get two of the most famous dinosaurs, Tyrannosaurus and Stegosaurus wrong, but get the incredibly obscure Metriacanthosaurus perfect. Madness!
    al28283 wrote: »
    When do they mention a Brontosaur in Jurassic Park?
    The only time I can think of it is when Tim says it and then corrects himself, but thats just a kid getting the wrong dino.

I think there are Apatosaurus in the book. Its been ages since I read it, but I do think Grant at one point mentions that they are the same thing as Brontosaurus.
    Apatosaurus is definitely in The Lost world book. For some reason they replaced it with Mamenchisaurus in the film. My guess, because it was bloody massive!

Mamenchisaurus.jpg

• Kersh wrote: »
    Ah the sound never bothered me at all, but I still love Nedry's line -

"Im gonna run you over when I come back down"

He says it so . . . expectantly :D

"ahhh no wonder you're extinct!"

• Another example of a scene being coloured by what you know is the scene with the electric fence, since I know a bit about electricity.

If you're hanging on an electric fence, and you're not touching anything else, what happens when they turn it on? Nothing. You won't get shocked, and you won't get "blown off" it as the kid was. He would have been quite safe to stay there as long as he didn't touch anything else but the live fence. If he had tried to climb down, and touched the ground and the fence at the same time, he would have been toast. The safe thing to do in that situation is to jump off, getting well clear of the fence before you touch anything else.

edit: but see below for a deadly detail about that particular fence!

The history of military conflict in Afghanistan [has] been one of initial success, followed by long years of floundering and ultimate failure. We’re not going to repeat that mistake.

-- President George W. Bush, in a speech at the Virginia Military Institute.

• ^^ Good advice :D

• bnt wrote: »
    Another example of a scene being coloured by what you know is the scene with the electric fence, since I know a bit about electricity.

If you're hanging on an electric fence, and you're not touching anything else, what happens when they turn it on? Nothing. You won't get shocked, and you won't get "blown off" it as the kid was. He would have been quite safe to stay there as long as he didn't touch anything else but the live fence. If he had tried to climb down, and touched the ground and the fence at the same time, he would have been toast. The safe thing to do in that situation is to jump off, getting well clear of the fence before you touch anything else.

dragging this even more off topic but question regarding these fences. If say the fence was

Live fence

earthed line

live

earth line

would that be possible? as i was thinking of this and if not that would have made the raptor fences useless as they would have had to jump to attack them, so if there was an earthed cable between the live ones even if the raptor was jumping and not touching the earth would they have been shocked by touching the live and earth?

if this is the way the raptor fences are set up would you not assume that they would have done it park wide?

• danniemcq wrote: »
    dragging this even more off topic but question regarding these fences. If say the fence was

Live fence

earthed line

live

earth line
    I think you have a point there, actually. Take a look at the (too big to embed) picture halfway down this page, and you can clearly see that they must be alternating live / earth lines. Half the lines have insulators, and half of them don't i.e. they're earthed to the fence posts. The earth lines are thinner, I must have missed them.

So: ouch! But the kid still would not have gone flying through the air: his fingers would have locked on the line, with no safe way to get him off quickly. eek.gif

The history of military conflict in Afghanistan [has] been one of initial success, followed by long years of floundering and ultimate failure. We’re not going to repeat that mistake.

-- President George W. Bush, in a speech at the Virginia Military Institute.

• Maybe I'm being rose tinted in my defense of my favorite film, but was Tim not in the process of jumping off right as the fence turned on, hence the zap?

• This is still possibly my favourite film, but one thing that really bugged me as a kid was when they were in the tree watching the brachiosaurs.
    Grant asks Tim to tell him what species they are and Tim initially says "brontosaurus" before correcting himself and saying "brachiosaurus."

Now as a dino-loving ten-year old, I couldn't suspend disbelief enough to believe that a kid with an incredible knowledge of dinosaurs would (a) not recognise the distinctive brachiosaur and; (b) use the outdated term "brontosaurus" instead of "apatosaurus."

I was such a cool kid.

• Advertisement

• Galvasean wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being rose tinted in my defense of my favorite film, but was Tim not in the process of jumping off right as the fence turned on, hence the zap?

Funny thing about this scene that myself and the brother noticed was Grants countdown.

"I'm goin to count to twee, One, Two, Twee"

Cracks us up every time.

• Was watching this yesterday with my housemate and we noticed the sound alright, remember thinking it was a bit Benny Hill-esque!

Hadn't seen the film im years, another thing I cringed at were some of Jeff Goldblums ridiculous poses throughout the film

jeff%20goldblum.jpg

• LOL OP

Yeah I remembered that sound once I saw the clips again, but had put it down to one of the little dinosaur noises.

I can't see how that noise would have any impact on the overall movie, however for the OP watching that movie so many times must feel like the following clip for that split second :p

• Never seen it, probably a bit too late to watch it now!

• Wouldn't be a Jurrasic Park thread without:

• veXual wrote: »
    Funny thing about this scene that myself and the brother noticed was Grants countdown.

"I'm goin to count to twee, One, Two, Twee"

Cracks us up every time.

Timmy hates trees! :pac:
    Never seen it, probably a bit too late to watch it now!

Its never too late to watch a good film :)

Aw man, it was in the cinemas again a couple of months ago. It still holds up extremely well, you should give it a spin.

so jealous- I wish I'd never seen if before again just so I could fall in love with it again :(

:eek:

rectify this immdiately!

• Advertisement

• Moved to palaeontology as per request.

Advertisement