Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭soterpisc

augusta24 wrote: »
    I agree but it sounds like a good idea for me as I can't afford to put my money into a savings or investment scheme as I may need to take it back out in a year or two so it's either prize bonds or sitting in my current account like it has been for about a year!

Sure open a rabo direct account, you can get your money out in 24hours and the interest is ok, prizebonds you have to hold for 3 months when you buy them, then it takes a couple of days to cash them. They are ok

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭pbwinner

I bought €1,000 worth of pbs about 6 weeks ago and won €75 in my first draw, so that will pay for them to sit there until I need them next summer anyway...

My only reason for purchasing was the difficulty of withdrawal, which is pretty handy as I know I would have taken them back already if it wasn't an effort to get them back....
    Hiya,
    If you review previous posts in this thread, you'll see that winning €75 right after buying the bonds seem to be recurring coincidence... :cool:

Winnings from today's draw: €0
    Total winnings since Feb '11 on €25k: €300

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

pbwinner wrote: »
    Hiya,
    If you review previous posts in this thread, you'll see that winning €75 right after buying the bonds seem to be recurring coincidence... :cool:

Yeah it definitely is pretty common, my parents had the same (on a larger scale) where they one maybe 10 times in the first 2 draws and then only once every draw after that...

Ah I'm not complaining though, it'll keep me from spending it on other stuff, it's safe enough and a better rate than banks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Should I cash mine in after 3 months and then buy more will this increase my winnings. Many thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭justforgroups

Hootanany wrote: »
    Should I cash mine in after 3 months and then buy more will this increase my winnings. Many thanks in advance
    Would be interesting to see: winngs on money left in for a year Vs money entered and withdrawn 4 times in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

Would be interesting to see: winngs on money left in for a year Vs money entered and withdrawn 4 times in a year.

Yes very interesting. So much for the toss of a "fair coin" if suspicions turn out to be true that this is more than beginner's luck!.
    As one wag put it, the old bonds seem to be stuck at the bottom of the drum!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Won another 75 last Friday. Total winnings on 22k since last March is 450eur. Kaching.

Just another thought ... the guys with 22K, 25k or 40K worth, did the PB company assign you a CAN , Customer Account Number or did each purchase come with a random new account number. ( you have the option to tick the CAN box when buying too).
    It's surprising that, even ignoring the Top 16 weekly prizes, we are not finding any big winner on the E75's. Just about everyone seems to fall into line with the 2% "mean number" wins so far, on this thread. Where are the 4%,8% or 10% statistics that you'd expect to be out there.
    In any game of chance, there should be the "just lucky" winners too that win over the average.

Just wondering if its better NOT to use a CAN if a regular buyer and chances better with random buys.
    Less risk of any win / lose algorithms 'monitoring' things. Of course name and address can be used as tracker too .... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brownbeard

Just about everyone seems to fall into line with the 2% "mean number" wins so far, on this thread. Where are the 4%,8% or 10% statistics that you'd expect to be out there.
    In any game of chance, there should be the "just lucky" winners too that win over the average.

15% return right here.
    As said before, my total winnings since Mar '11 on €1k: €150

It makes sense that with a relatively small amount like €1k you'd be more likely to have outliers like 7.5% or 0% PA. However the more bonds you have the more likely you are to fall into the mean which people seem to agree is ~2%.

Winnings from the last draw of 2011: €0
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

So, this thread has more or less established that folks either never win or have won only amounts of €75. Does anybody personally know somebody who won €20k or €1m and who is not an employee or family member of an emploee of the prize bond company? The prize bond map on their own website tends to show a striking proportion of winners in the Kerry/Cork region, where the prize bond offices are located. Does anybody else think that the employees are awarding the top prizes to themselves every month, hence the lack of publicity and personal contact with known winners? Given that the prize bond company operates under license from the state, is it open to queries of lists of winners under the FOI act?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Go for it it would be some scandel if true

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brownbeard

• Registered Users Posts: 17,906 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wonder what happens if they've moved house since 1989 and all mail to that address has been canceled or if they've left the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

smeedyova wrote: »
    So, this thread has more or less established that folks either never win or have won only amounts of €75. Does anybody personally know somebody who won €20k or €1m and who is not an employee or family member of an emploee of the prize bond company? The prize bond map on their own website tends to show a striking proportion of winners in the Kerry/Cork region, where the prize bond offices are located. Does anybody else think that the employees are awarding the top prizes to themselves every month, hence the lack of publicity and personal contact with known winners? Given that the prize bond company operates under license from the state, is it open to queries of lists of winners under the FOI act?

:eek:

Whoa! I might have started more than I bargained for when I began this thread then! :o
    Still, wouldn't be the first time Irish 'lotteries' had problems!

Thargor wrote: »
    Wonder what happens if they've moved house since 1989 and all mail to that address has been canceled or if they've left the country?
    It's held by the prize bond company forever until claimed. (See the FAQ on their site).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

I love the conspiracy theorists, while I have no knowledge whatsoever of the internal workings of the Prize Bond office I would be virtually certain that everything is kosher, in fact I'd have no doubt at all about it. On the suggestion of employees winning, I would very much doubt that they are allowed to even buy them so no chance whatsoever are they fiddling it for themselves.

My own experience is that I've been buying prize bonds monthly (direct debit) since 1998, during that time I've had 6 €75 wins, one each in '05, '06, '08 & '10 and 2 in '07, a very poor return but a lot safer than bank shares over the same period.

On your other question, I personally know somebody who bought €30k worth last year, since then they have won 2 €75 prizes, and 1 €20k (now that was a nice letter to get, the cheque didn't come with the letter btw as it does for the €75 win), all 3 wins came within a few weeks of each other, the owner of the Prize Bonds btw is a multi-generation Dub so that blows the Kerry conspiracy somewhat.

Keep the faith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    while I have no knowledge whatsoever of the internal workings of the Prize Bond office I would be virtually certain that everything is kosher, in fact I'd have no doubt at all about it. On the suggestion of employees winning, I would very much doubt that they are allowed to even buy them so no chance whatsoever are they fiddling it for themselves.

The naivety! Same attitude that let the banks help destroy this country.

The naivety! Same attitude that let the banks help destroy this country.

Apples and Oranges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

Your comment is as weak as a geriatrics bladder, pointless and empty of facts. How do you like them apples?

Your comment is as weak as a geriatrics bladder, pointless and empty of facts. How do you like them apples?

Wow, aggressive.
    Without wanting to hijack a very interesting thread a small attempt at explanation. The Banks were run on greed for their private owners and shareholders, greed with scant regard for controls, governance or best practices. The Prize Bonds are run by the state, the senior management and/or employees aren't paid based on the money they collect, or the prizes they give out (some of the very senior managers WERE probably getting bonuses based on certain KPI's), the staff and their extended families won't be allowed to have prize bonds, and all draws will be supervised and above board.

pbwinner wrote: »
    Whoa! I might have started more than I bargained for when I began this thread then! :o
    QUOTE]

Yep PBwinner, you might be right at that.

Still, it's a great thread and just some friendly speculation and comparing notes. Keep it up PBW, many of us enjoy this weekly count. My clan of 5 people mentioned before had 1 x E75 win on Dec 30 draw.

IMHO, a generic control or 'modulating' algorithm possible ; a Cork -Kerry Win Clique hmmmm .....

At the same time, keep an eye out the front window for any MIB types G-men watching yer house ,,,, dark sedan across the road or a strange builder's van that never moves away? Oh well, Roswell, Grassy Knoll, Watergate ,,,, now Prize Bonds. :D;)

I love the conspiracy theorists, while I have no knowledge whatsoever of the internal workings of the Prize Bond office I would be virtually certain that everything is kosher, in fact I'd have no doubt at all about it. On the suggestion of employees winning, I would very much doubt that they are allowed to even buy them so no chance whatsoever are they fiddling it for themselves.

Keep the faith

After reading this paragraph, I for one, am totally convinced it's all kosher .... I think! :D
    CH, perhaps this was written a bit tongue in cheek but if you seriously sought to allay fears of 'the conspiracy', then the verbiage usued in that preceding paragraph failed to deliver the sought after, confidence-inspiring gravitas. You failed to nail it, as Bill Cullen might say!

CH / SF lighten up a bit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Thud

I'm sure the regulator is keeping an eye on it......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

My own experience is that I've been buying prize bonds monthly (direct debit) since 1998, during that time I've had 6 €75 wins, one each in '05, '06, '08 & '10 and 2 in '07, a very poor return but a lot safer than bank shares over the same period.

On your other question, I personally know somebody who bought €30k worth last year, since then they have won 2 €75 prizes, and 1 €20k (now that was a nice letter to get, the cheque didn't come with the letter btw as it does for the €75 win), all 3 wins came within a few weeks of each other, the owner of the Prize Bonds btw is a multi-generation Dub so that blows the Kerry conspiracy somewhat.

Keep the faith

Have you ever wondered if you're vunerable to blinded faith? It seems your assertions are based on hopeful hypothesis and not fact. Much of what we now know stems surely from the systemic banking failure and non-existent regulation providing plenty of proof that anything is possible?

If anything, Ireland has had an exemplary record of discovery faults usually post event which has been of little comfort for the victims.

No system is foolproof.;)

• Advertisement

After reading this paragraph, I for one, am totally convinced it's all kosher .... I think! :D
    CH, perhaps this was written a bit tongue in cheek but if you seriously sought to allay fears of 'the conspiracy', then the verbiage usued in that preceding paragraph failed to deliver the sought after, confidence-inspiring gravitas. You failed to nail it, as Bill Cullen might say!

Verbiage was never my strong point (don't know what is)!

Advertisement