Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrybank Shopping Centre - Again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

thomasm wrote: »
    From this weeks Munster. Does that sound like Dunnes are going in..

Dunnes Stores has disputed an arbitrator’s instruction for the retailer to pay almost €20 million to a construction company in relation to the long-awaited Ferrybank Shopping Centre.

The €100 million, mixed-use centre was originally scheduled to open for business in September, 2008. However, the opening did not go ahead because of differences between the development company and Dunnes.

In court on Monday, Holtglen Ltd sought to fast-track the hearing of the Dunnes’ challenge and also indicated it intends to bring its own proceedings for an order enforcing the arbitrator’s award.

Bad week for Dunnes... €36million owed to the government for plastic bag charges and a further €20million to the construction company you mentioned.

Every cloud has a silver lining though for the CEO or owner. He'll fit right in at any bar complaining about the government and the property developers taking his money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

fricatus wrote: »
    What use all the improvement works in the world (and WCC have been doing plenty, particularly down around the Malll and Bishop's Palace), when a neighbouring local authority can just allow a big shopping centre to be slapped right on the outskirts of the city, without contributing a penny to the city's upkeep in rates?

And before anyone levels this anti-KK accusation again, Waterford County Council did the same by allowing the big business park where Harvey Norman is. The rates there get spent in the county, and you can be sure that that's more likely to mean Dungarvan rather than Tramore or Kilmeaden...

This is the very reason that Waterford City Council need to have control of all the environs of the city. In another thread it was mentioned that we don't need to unite Waterford Co. Council and Waterford City Council, we need to use a 10km radius from the centre of the city (say Ballybricken's Bull Post) and then call that the urban area of administration.

It is ridiculous that Waterford should have had to suffer these developments on its perimeter which it could not control. To make matters worse when they did object to the Ferrybank Centre they were overruled by An Bord Pleanala. When chance have we got with this type of behaviour. This is the administration of nincompoops and we are all paying the price now.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Manic087

I've been seeing a few people in here recently doing a bit of work so hopefully something's happening with it at any rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Manic087 wrote: »
    I've been seeing a few people in here recently doing a bit of work so hopefully something's happening with it at any rate!

I heard on the news that a library is being put into it, nice for the community but a farce all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 kennygg76

The centre is opening in april, the library is the first thing to go in. I was talking to the person who petitioned to get it open. She said that they have loads of interest from businesses to occupy the 20 units available. Dunnes stores has paid 18 out of the 36 million for the unit, they are paying the remaining balance in instalments. If they pull out of the unit they will lose the money they have paid, if another retailer wants to come in they will have to buy out what dunnes has paid in. So its looking likely that dunnes will me the main anchor tennent, fingers crossed. Also all to the money made available for the centre to open has come from south kilkenny county council, waterford county council is not providing any money to open !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

kennygg76 wrote: »
    Also all to the money made available for the centre to open has come from south kilkenny county council, waterford county council is not providing any money to open !!!!
    It's the private investors who built it and the anchor tenants who are paying for it to open, the KK Council are just putting a library in there. The businesses there will also be paying rates to KK Council, so why would Waterford Co. Council provide money for it to open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 kennygg76

It's the private investors who built it and the anchor tenants who are paying for it to open, the KK Council are just putting a library in there. The businesses there will also be paying rates to KK Council, so why would Waterford Co. Council provide money for it to open?

Sorry I didnt explain enough when I made that statement.
    The ferrybank action group petitioned and hounded the waterford and kilkenny councils to get the centre opened so it would then generate interest for businesses to move in, waterford co co did not want to have anything to do with it, kilkenny co co however were interested in moving the centre along so they provided €1 million to put the library and at least get the centre open. When the centre opens you can be sure we will see the waterford mayor with his big smiley head accepting thanks when they didnt have anything to do with it. Thats what I meant, sorry for the rant

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

The ferrybank action group petitioned and hounded the waterford and kilkenny councils to get the centre opened so it would then generate interest for businesses to move in, waterford co co did not want to have anything to do with it, kilkenny co co however were interested in moving the centre along so they provided €1 million to put the library and at least get the centre open. When the centre opens you can be sure we will see the waterford mayor with his big smiley head accepting thanks when they didnt have anything to do with it. Thats what I meant, sorry for the rant

I wouldn't be so sure about the Mayor of Waterford getting involved. Waterford City Council, after all, were the ones who objected to the development all the way to Bord Pleanala.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Bards

Sorry I didnt explain enough when I made that statement.

Why would Waterford city council or county council want anything to do with it when they will get not a penny in return, whereas Kilkenny co co has everything to gain by its opening?

Questions should be asked though how kk are spending money by opening a brand new area office in these times of budget deficits, who is benefiting at the tax payers expense?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Bards wrote: »
    Why would Waterford city council or county council want anything to do with it when they will get not a penny in return, whereas Kilkenny co co has everything to gain by its opening?

Questions should be asked though how kk are spending money by opening a brand new area office in these times of budget deficits, who is benefiting at the tax payers expense?

Belview Port is in Kilkenny -- Yet Waterford Port Company have full control.

Check again ... I bet Waterford City Council have some benefit from this development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Bards wrote: »

Check again ... I bet Waterford City Council have some benefit from this development.

You seem keen to stress the point of WCC involvement, Are you privaye to information or just hedging your bets ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Bards

Waterford port company Is a company that handles shipping, didn't know kk co co had knowledge on how to run a successfull shipping business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Lads could you give the whole Waterford v Kilkenny v Waterford thing a rest already. It has very little bearing on this discussion unless you are delving into the whole rates issue. I'm sure regardless of where you're from you just want to see the shopping centre open and providing whatever services deemed necessary with, hopefully, no detrimental effect to the surrounding areas. The size of the centre, whether it should have been built, what county it's in, what council will benefit from the rates etc. etc. these are all secondary issues to the main issue of just getting the damn thing open, providing some jobs and some services to the surrounding areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

Lads could you give the whole Waterford v Kilkenny v Waterford thing a rest already. It has very little bearing on this discussion unless you are delving into the whole rates issue. I'm sure regardless of where you're from you just want to see the shopping centre open and providing whatever services deemed necessary with, hopefully, no detrimental effect to the surrounding areas. The size of the centre, whether it should have been built, what county it's in, what council will benefit from the rates etc. etc. these are all secondary issues to the main issue of just getting the damn thing open, providing some jobs and some services to the surrounding areas.
    couldn't agree more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

It was made clear this is not about Waterford v Kilkenny. The same people against this were against TK Maxx out in Butlerstown.

I don't want it to open because I think the damage done will be greater than any benefit to Ferrybank.

Well I think it will benefit a far greater area than just Ferrybank.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Opening a shopping center with a library inside is never a good sign anyway

Sully wrote: »
    Opening a shopping center with a library inside is never a good sign anyway

Why? Is it a sign they can't get retail tenants or something?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dayshah wrote: »

Nothing factual, but you don't really see any major shopping center or any shopping center really having libraries. Its completely bizarre that KCC think opening a big center with only one tenant (Dunnes?) and a Library will get businesses signing up.

Why not just offer incentives to get businesses in? Cut the rates? Why go for a library?

I know local groups have been campaigning for years for a library so maybe the only way they could get it was if they agreed to put it in the shopping centre. I mean realistically, where else could you put a library in Ferrybank? And as regards the centre, it makes the people in charge look like they are doing something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Nothing factual, but you don't really see any major shopping center or any shopping center really having libraries. Its completely bizarre that KCC think opening a big center with only one tenant (Dunnes?) and a Library will get businesses signing up.

Why not just offer incentives to get businesses in? Cut the rates? Why go for a library?

I know of plenty of libraries in centres , lilac, Lucan and blanchardstown and in cork douglas and wilton to name a few, it's a done thing off load kids and do shopping

rasper wrote: »
    I know of plenty of libraries in centres , lilac, Lucan and blanchardstown and in cork douglas and wilton to name a few, it's a done thing off load kids and do shopping

Suppose it depends on the type of centers. :) Never saw it in the Ilac / Blanch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭south

there's one in ardkeen also.

south wrote: »
    there's one in ardkeen also.

I wouldn't really call Ardkeen a Shopping Center tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭south

well they do :)

Where is the library in the ilac centre?

The library in blanch is across from the shopping centre and I may be wrong but I think that's just coincidental, I don't think the library is necessarily part of the shopping centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 smileychick

Where is the library in the ilac centre?

The library in blanch is across from the shopping centre and I may be wrong but I think that's just coincidental, I don't think the library is necessarily part of the shopping centre.

http://www.ilac.ie/facilities/

Nothing factual, but you don't really see any major shopping center or any shopping center really having libraries.

The ilac centre has one, but that was probably planned before construction. To me it just looks like Kilkenny CoCo are desperate for it to open, and think this will be a sweetener.

Will residents of the Waterford City Council be allowed borrow books there?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

The ilac centre has one, but that was probably planned before construction. To me it just looks like Kilkenny CoCo are desperate for it to open, and think this will be a sweetener.

One would imagine they would when half the population of Ferrybank are under the city council control..

• Advertisement

I've never heard of any library having rules on book borrowing relative to someone's how address (within reason obviously).

Advertisement