Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Not a hope, I have two chippers near me, one stinks the town up with the smell of dirty oil and turns out food consisting mainly of a mix between it and e numbers, the other makes everything fresh on site, including the chips and burgers, and it tastes great.

I'd agree with you on the chinese take outs though, never had a nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭clare ny

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Every Chinese takeaway in the country is the same - shìte.
    Chipper are the same. If you think your local chipper is a "great chipper", you're wrong. It's the same as every chipper in the country

and abra is only nice when your loaded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭7Sins

7Sins wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with gay marraige or civil partnership. I just don't see any reason why they should be allowed adopt. You'll need more than two pdfs to change my mind :D cos I'm very stubborn and narrow minded.

You do realise that full marriage rights include adoption right? You could actually look at the pdfs before you decide it's not enough for you.

I can have a problem with one and not the other, correct? Dude one of them is 88 pages long, I'll report back when they're read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

clare ny wrote: »

Abra is never nice son. Never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

clare ny wrote: »

Definitely. Even looks like the menu was designed by a drunk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

There is unpopular opinions and then there is just plain idiotic/ignorant opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

I believe humanity has failed my standards of moral development. Its over now, we've had 10,000 years of civilisation(in some form). This is all we've accomplished?
    From this belief, over the years i've come to some harsh judgements that my friends tell me are ridiculously cruel and dictatory. I think they're just Lacking the conviction to see humanity progress and take responsiblity for our future and treatment of this world.
    My harsh opinions on what should be done are as follows.

-Limit birth rate to healthy and mentally able/responsible people.
    -Child limits should be placed on families unable to financially cope with the situation, enough for education for several years, health, hobbies etc should all be saved up for. If they cannot afford this, either dont have the child or apply for the state to provide BEFORE hand, so budgets can be organised and perhaps you will be required to work for the state as repayment(though for a fair wage)
    -Repeatily cut dole and social payments for unemployment over time, eg every 1-2 months, knock 25% off. (this was more before the current recession).
    -All people should be mapped from a medical standpoint, collated with a huge database of profiles, and treated for all illness and disease by the state. An unhealthy populace is detrimental to humanity in all ways. People are required to donate blood/white blood cells/other easily donated organs if they wish to subscribe to the states medical system. Exemptions apply for valid reasons. This could also be financially incentivised by medical credits to be used to pay off future medical expenses.
    -Politicions should all need to require detailed exams on thier field of experitise, ministerial reshuffling is archaic idea and should be stopped immediate. Politicians needs should catered for the state at a middle income level type of standard, but they should not be allowed by law to make or earn wealth in any way during thier terms. They are there to serve the state and people. This should be thier only aim. It should be a dedicated intense job for 2-4 years after which case they will be offered several jobs of thier chosen field for state bodies as a thank you and to compensate for thier wealth losses.
    -Criminals should all be forced into heavy counselling and therapy, failure to comply and be deemed fit for society by a health carae professional should result in either continued imprisonment or penalties, AND tracking hardware being placed on your body..
    -All multiple convicted criminals of harmful to others bheaviour, violent, anti social behaviour should be tagged and tracked for a long periods. Any crimes commited in thier location would reveal if they were to blame and easily apprehended.
    - Junkies and drugs users who have problems would be put into rehab by force, they are leech on society. I have no problem at all with recreational drug use of most kinds. However anyone stealing, or lying in streets on multiple instances, or leeching from society should be treated as ill and cured by counselling, therapy, other normal drug treatments.
    - Violent and intentional criminals may need to be seperated from society permenantly if they cannot be treated or fixed.
    - Majority ruling the votes is not working in my opinon, I'd require voters to pass test in order to earn the right to vote on different types of issues.
    - I'd enforce the economy to produce far more of its own goods and force it to become self sufficent. It would employ many more jobs. I'd create state production companies employing hundreds of thousands of workers if necessary. Grow the country into a huge exporter for profit and create a full employment and eductional populace.
    - Prisons would be made alot less cosy but much more helpful, in a nice way. I dont believe in belittling or agressive behaviour, EVER.
    Everyone has the right to a basic level of housing and this can be bought cheaply from the state as it makes all its own resources for building homes etc.

I dont think they are harsh, but definitely different than most people mention. I just want humanity to be better, to do something useful, to stop all the needless **** we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Nordies are friendlier than the rest of us and they have better manners.

That's because and armed society is a polite society.

Oh i also think manogamy is stupid for the vast majority of people. I think it stinks of some religous and outdated motivations. People should be allowed to love whoever and whenever they want.

It seems crazy that people meet each other when they are for example are 25. get together and are almost demanded to stay together by the structure of thier relationship until they are 80 to die.. We grow and change into different people all our lives, Why try keep the same circumstances on it? Wouldnt most people prefer multiple lovers throughout thier lives?
    Also All the while pretending they dont fancy others, or denying themselves equally great relationships or sexual relations with others.

I would like the norm for each person in a relationship to commit to a certain amount of time/type together before reviewing it for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

theTinker wrote: »
    I believe humanity has failed my standards of moral development. Its over now, we've had 10,000 years of civilisation(in some form). This is all we've accomplished?
    From this belief, over the years i've come to some harsh judgements that my friends tell me are ridiculously cruel and dictatory. I think they're just Lacking the conviction to see humanity progress and take responsiblity for our future and treatment of this world.

-Child limits should be placed on families unable to financially cope with the situation, enough for education for several years, health, hobbies etc should all be saved up for. If they cannot afford this, either dont have the child or apply for the state to provide BEFORE hand, so budgets can be organised and perhaps you will be required to work for the state as repayment(though for a fair wage)
    -Repeatily cut dole and social payments for unemployment over time, eg every 1-2 months, knock 25% off. (this was more before the current recession).
    -All people should be mapped from a medical standpoint, collated with a huge database of profiles, and treated for all illness and disease by the state. An unhealthy populace is detrimental to humanity in all ways. People are required to donate blood/white blood cells/other easily donated organs if they wish to subscribe to the states medical system. Exemptions apply for valid reasons. This could also be financially incentivised by medical credits to be used to pay off future medical expenses.
    -Politicions should all need to require detailed exams on thier field of experitise, ministerial reshuffling is archaic idea and should be stopped immediate. Politicians needs should catered for the state at a middle income level type of standard, but they should not be allowed by law to make or earn wealth in any way during thier terms. They are there to serve the state and people. This should be thier only aim. It should be a dedicated intense job for 2-4 years after which case they will be offered several jobs of thier chosen field for state bodies as a thank you and to compensate for thier wealth losses.
    -Criminals should all be forced into heavy counselling and therapy, failure to comply and be deemed fit for society by a health carae professional should result in either continued imprisonment or penalties, AND tracking hardware being placed on your body..
    -All multiple convicted criminals of harmful to others bheaviour, violent, anti social behaviour should be tagged and tracked for a long periods. Any crimes commited in thier location would reveal if they were to blame and easily apprehended.
    - Junkies and drugs users who have problems would be put into rehab by force, they are leech on society. I have no problem at all with recreational drug use of most kinds. However anyone stealing, or lying in streets on multiple instances, or leeching from society should be treated as ill and cured by counselling, therapy, other normal drug treatments.
    - Violent and intentional criminals may need to be seperated from society permenantly if they cannot be treated or fixed.
    - Majority ruling the votes is not working in my opinon, I'd require voters to pass test in order to earn the right to vote on different types of issues.
    - I'd enforce the economy to produce far more of its own goods and force it to become self sufficent. It would employ many more jobs. I'd create state production companies employing hundreds of thousands of workers if necessary. Grow the country into a huge exporter for profit and create a full employment and eductional populace.
    - Prisons would be made alot less cosy but much more helpful, in a nice way. I dont believe in belittling or agressive behaviour, EVER.
    Everyone has the right to a basic level of housing and this can be bought cheaply from the state as it makes all its own resources for building homes etc.

I dont think they are harsh, but definitely different than most people mention. I just want humanity to be better, to do something useful, to stop all the needless **** we do.
    Not sure which would have suited you better, Soviet Russia or Nazi Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Oh i also think manogamy is stupid for the vast majority of people. I think it stinks of some religous and outdated motivations. People should be allowed to love whoever and whenever they want.

It seems crazy that people meet each other when they are for example are 25. get together and are almost demanded to stay together by the structure of thier relationship until they are 80 to die.. We grow and change into different people all our lives, Why try keep the same circumstances on it? Wouldnt most people prefer multiple lovers throughout thier lives?
    Also All the while pretending they dont fancy others, or denying themselves equally great relationships or sexual relations with others.

I would like the norm for each person in a relationship to commit to a certain amount of time/type together before reviewing it for the future.

Monogamy just means one at a time, not one for all time, and we do have divorce now you know, I think it's kind of wierd that you'd set a length of time before "reviewing", does that mean you're stuck with someone til' the next review if you don't like them?
    If not, then why the review?

Not sure which would have suited you better, Soviet Russia or Nazi Germany.

I know. It can sound really out there. I sincerely do only mean all of it for the greater good though.
    Theres just soooo much wrong with the world, and the wishy washy opinions and policies we make now are not stopping it. Its all just ignore and we eat our dinners whilst watching the simpsons. I hate to see so many people suffer, and i hate to see so many great nations full of beaten down populaces. Life should be happy and productive and fulfilling. We've the technology to solve most of our problems already. Our education is growing rapidily and i think we've already been lucky enough to have enough philosphers who have laid the basis for true happiness for people.

Monogamy just means one at a time, not one for all time, and we do have divorce now you know, I think it's kind of wierd that you'd set a length of time before "reviewing", does that mean you're stuck with someone til' the next review if you don't like them?

I agree, that would be the definition, however in my experience people seem to want and expect a magnogamous relationship to endure. Contrary to all evidence. Its like a bad thing when it ends. It shouldnt be. I think It was a good thing it existed and most likely improved both participants lives dramatically whilst it did. They also keep the memories and experience from it. It rarely ends in some peaceful way, and ive always found peoples anger usually only raises its head when a perception is shown to be wrong and they werent expecting it, or some injustice..which technically is probably just a subset of the first.
    I dont think you should be stuck with a person until next review, I look at it more of you've both promised a commitment of at least this amount of time where you presentily confirm you believe you will try to maintain the relationship and make it a very enjoyable time for both of you.
    If circumstances change, of course it can be reviewed changed early.
    I guess I just wish there wasnt an expectation of its continuance, which then most likely ends up in the ****ter with people resenting it and the other person for a long time.
    Seems very odd.

As for magnogamy, I dont really see why people desire it so much. Its always been very unnatural to me. It seems unnatural for most people, and they seem unable to sustain it most of the time, and if they do, it comes with struggle and denial. Of course, if both people want it for constructive reasons like geniune desire for it, then its of course right. If its for some reason like insecurity the other person will find someone they think is 'better' so you are trying to limit it, then i think this reason is complete and utter arse run off. This seems to be the reason i've encountered when its come into discussion with people.
    Infact most ive ever met seem to want to be with others, other than this one 'bad' reason they have.

smegmar wrote: »

Please educate yourself on nuclear technology before you bash it.

*youtube link*

Thanks for that video. It was really interesting. I had no idea there was different types of nuclear reactions, Its an entirely different fuel being used and seems much safer than Uranium 235.
    I was up until now completely against Nuclear power, although always self admitted uniformed, I just always see the dangers in all the previous accidents from across the globe, and dismissed it due to them. I'd love to see a thorium plant operational etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Discrimination against the majority is too widely accepted and is often just as bad and hateful as other discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭AstridBean

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Indian food is overrated. Chinese, Italian, kebabs and even chippers are better.

Chinese food in this country better than Indian? Come off it.

Indian food can vary from bad to sublime in this country, Chinese food tends to vary from to bad to decidely meh. Sugary, gloopy crap.
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    Every Chinese takeaway in the country is the same - shìte.
    Chipper are the same. If you think your local chipper is a "great chipper", you're wrong. It's the same as every chipper in the country

I agree on the Chinese takeaway bit - they're ALL the same crap, no matter how much people insist their local is different.

Can't agree on the chipper thing though, they vary A LOT.

This post chills me to my bones.

As does this one, especially the bolded bit. Why should it matter to you what grown adults do in their personal relationships?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I don't believe in love.

I believe in strong sentimental attachment, but not love.

I am strongly attached to my family and my friends, some moreso than others, but I'm not sure it is wise to wrap these relationships up in some mysterious and undefined human construction and call it 'love' for the sake of it.

I could go my whole life without saying "I love you" to anybody.

I almost cringe when someone I'm dating says it.

There are some members of my own family whom I don't even like very much, cousins etc, yet I would miss them terribly were they no longer around. It's little more than sentimentality, in my opinion.

I also agree with The Tinker on a number of points, especially the expectation that couples should want to stay together for life, and not (more naturally) only commit to shorter 'contracts' so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Going to prison should not be a state-funded holiday.

Why the fcuk they get treated like royalty is beyond me. Games consoles for everyone, free TV, free food, free gym, everything to keep the prisoners happy so they don't start fighting with eachother or get depressed, that'd just be terrible :rolleyes:

Oh, and the gardaí are fúcking useless.

later10 wrote: »
    I also agree with The Tinker on a number of points, especially the expectation that couples should want to stay together for life, and not (more naturally) only commit to shorter 'contracts' so to speak.

Do tell, who decides what is the appropriate length for a contract?

A disturbingly meddlesome proposition.

Exactly.

• Advertisement

AstridBean wrote: »
    Do tell, who decides what is the appropriate length for a contract?
    The couple, of course.

Why involve anyone else at all?

The couple, of course.

Why involve anyone else at all?

How would a couple work that out? :confused: The exact moment in the future when their relationship goes sour?

AstridBean wrote: »
    How would a couple work that out? :confused:
    In one scenario, a couple might agree to try and remain together and monogamous for the period of their children's youth.

When the children reach maturity, they could decide to move on.

The possibility of moving on after 12 or 16 years ought to be made clear from the outset, it should be a question of "lets raise children together" and not automatically "lets have to care for one another when we're old and infirm because that's what people have always done before now..."

I think if it were the norm to make such short term contracts, society might be a lot happier. People might realise that just because you're 50 and your kids are grown up, you shouldn't feel trapped in a marriage, nor that expecting fun with a new partner, or a new start is an unreasonable expectation/ unfair on the other partner.

Marriage might be outdated, but I don't see how introducing shorter, arbitrary contracts is any better!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I don't agree with the fact a person in todays world can change nearly every little detail about there appearance just because there not happy with it anymore....... And I mean everything from your average liposuction to a sex change.

How can paying to have fat sucked out of u because your to much of a lazy fat ****e to go on a diet and actually work towards being healthy be exceptable ?

Your born male but for whatever reason god only knows why you decide your not happy with your life this way its not what you where meant to be and you want to be female...........

So thanks to the wonders of medicine and science you can totally transform yourself into what you reckon you where meant to be in the first place!!

Touchy subject but imagine you where born years an years ago in a world that was not so medically advanced then what would u of done ?? Nothing!!

Would of just got on with your life and well at least you where fortunate to be born healthy!!!

What choice has a person who's born mentally or physically handicaped got ?? Money can't buy them a new life.

What makes you different ?

Your born male but for whatever reason god only knows why you decide your not happy with your life this way its not what you where meant to be and you want to be female...........

So thanks to the wonders of medicine and science you can totally transform yourself into what you reckon you where meant to be in the first place!!
    Some of this thread seems to have gone from unpopular opinions to posting absolute rubbish without even bothering to think about the matter before you type

You think people undergo major, irreversible gender reassignment surgery on some sort of a whim because they "decided" they weren't happy with their lives?
    Touchy subject but imagine you where born years an years ago in a world that was not so medically advanced then what would u of done ?? Nothing!!

Would of just got on with your life and well at least you where fortunate to be born healthy!!!
    Ignorance isn't bliss for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Quote this to yourself the next time you have a strep throat and want an antibiotic or a paracetamol.

Just GTF on with it.

And tell your dentist to skip the anaesthetic...

Some of this thread seems to have gone from unpopular opinions to posting absolute rubbish without even bothering to think about the matter before you type

You think people undergo major, irreversible gender reassignment surgery on some sort of a whim because they "decided" they weren't happy with their lives?

Ignorance isn't bliss for everyone.

Its not a choice they make on a whim as you put it but its still something they decided they wanted to changed based on how they feel. If they didn't have the option what choice would they have ? It's not a life or death situation they won't die without it.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Quote this to yourself the next time you have a strep throat and want an antibiotic or a paracetamol.

Just GTF on with it.

And tell your dentist to skip the anaesthetic...

How is using medicine due to being sick and its available the same as getting a sex change even though u don't medically need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

reduce dole, and give ration cards for the essentials.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement