Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Kev.OC wrote: »
    I think humans being the significant contributing factor to global warming is total bull. In fact i think the whole phenomenon of global warming is a load of rubbish.

How many ice ages were there before people came along? Over time the world heats up and cools down naturally. It happens. Get over it.
    There was lots but the rate of temp change has been accelerated by human kind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭7Sins

steddyeddy wrote: »
    There was lots but the rate of temp change has been accelerated by human kind

Bullsh*t :rolleyes: jesus christ like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Christopher Hitchins was a bollox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Abortion should be legal in this country.

So should drunken sex

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Here's some which I've been thinking of in the past week:

1. The €100 household tax, while crude and regressive, is the start of common sense, and these politicians who oppose it are cringingly opportunist. Most, if not all, developed states in the world have developed property taxes. We don't because one political party fulfilled its promise to abolish rates after it won the 1977 election. That was a terrible decision, and it needs political courage to correct it.

2. We should be paying water rates because having a safe water supply is so blindingly important to our existence. Charging people for what they use is obviously fair and will make people conserve water supplies better. The people who are denying the common sense of water rates are also cringingly opportunist and populist.

3. I'm fully supportive of paying higher taxation in return for better public services and greater social justice. This Reaganite/Thatcherite low taxation ideology is myopic, crude and plainly anti-society. I favour harmonisation of taxes across the EU.

4. Far too many Irish people, largely inspired by the europhobic dregs of the British media in Ireland, are too keen to shift blame for Ireland's current situation on to the shoulders of the Germans and French. It is successive Irish governments, and successive Irish electorates which put them in office, which bear overwhelming responsibility for Ireland's situation.

5. People who seek scapegoats for their own failures, or the failures of their state, are first rate losers. They are spineless cowards who haven't got the courage to be honest with themselves and take on the world honestly.

6. On the whole, the EU has been absolutely brilliant for Ireland. It has helped enormously to move Ireland from being a deeply unhealthy, myopic, anglocentric society with an inferiority complex to most things British (i.e. English), to a modern European state which is open once again to cultures beyond Britain. I want Ireland to be more European, and therefore less anglicised.

7. It's beyond me how people can claim to be Irish nationalists, while supporting an Irish society which is deeply anglicised and opposing the EU, the greatest force that has countered the almost suffocating dominance of Britain and its culture in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Dionysus wrote: »

1. The €100 household tax, while crude and regressive, is the start of common sense, and these politicians who oppose it are cringingly opportunist. Most, if not all, developed states in the world have developed property taxes. We don't because one political party fulfilled its promise to abolish rates after it won the 1977 election. That was a terrible decision, and it needs political courage to correct it.

2. We should be paying water rates because having a safe water supply is so blindingly important to our existence. Charging people for what they use is obviously fair and will make people conserve water supplies better. The people who are denying the common sense of water rates are also cringingly opportunist and populist.

3. I'm fully supportive of paying higher taxation in return for better public services and greater social justice. This Reaganite/Thatcherite low taxation ideology is myopic, crude and plainly anti-society. I favour harmonisation of taxes across the EU.

4. Far too many Irish people, largely inspired by the europhobic dregs of the British media in Ireland, are too keen to shift blame for Ireland's current situation on to the shoulders of the Germans and French. It is successive Irish governments, and successive Irish electorates which put them in office, which bear overwhelming responsibility for Ireland's situation.

5. People who seek scapegoats for their own failures, or the failures of their state, are first rate losers. They are spineless cowards who haven't got the courage to be honest with themselves and take on the world honestly.

6. On the whole, the EU has been absolutely brilliant for Ireland. It has helped enormously to move Ireland from being a deeply unhealthy, myopic, anglocentric society with an inferiority complex to most things British (i.e. English), to a modern European state which is open once again to cultures beyond Britain. I want Ireland to be more European, and therefore less anglicised.

7. It's beyond me how people can claim to be Irish nationalists, while supporting an Irish society which is deeply anglicised and opposing the EU, the greatest force that has countered the almost suffocating dominance of Britain and its culture in Ireland.

None are so blind as those who refuse to see

7Sins wrote: »
    None are so blind as those who refuse to see

And would you care to elaborate with your wisdom?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Could you elaborate a bit more on what you mean? Your post doesn't really match that of Dionysis in terms of depth, effort or relevance.

No.

Right so, thanks for coming. Door's over there on the left.

/ignore

So anyways Dionysis, think you're spot on with most of those. Would you be interested in being an independent candidate in the local election?

Sure with what you wrote the post before we nearly have the campaign literature written!!

• Advertisement

I was agreeing with him, I'm quite drunk like

I was agreeing with him, I'm quite drunk like

That was meant for edanto, such is my level of intoxication

I think humans being the significant contributing factor to global warming is total bull. In fact i think the whole phenomenon of global warming is a load of rubbish.

How many ice ages were there before people came along? Over time the world heats up and cools down naturally. It happens. Get over it.

It's funny how that one has gone full circle. First the people that had the 'humans are causing dangerous climate change were the ones with the unpopular opinion, and then like they did 2 decades of proper scientific research and all of a suddin it became like mainstream because of the weight of scientific evidence.

Then oil-industry funded meme polluters get stuck in and all of a sudden being a climate change denier is suddenly slick (see what I did there) and cool (ooooh that pun's not so good)

edanto wrote: »
    Right so, thanks for coming. Door's over there on the left.

/ignore

So anyways Dionysis, think you're spot on with most of those. Would you be interested in being an independent candidate in the local election?

Sure with what you wrote the post before we nearly have the campaign literature written!!

I don't think an "I'm in favour of a high taxation better public services in society" election policy will get me as many votes as "I'm in favour of a low taxation better public services in society" election policy which, as illogical as it is, convinces the critical mass of the electorate all of the time. ;)

The fact that Fine Gael and Labour did not raise progressive taxes like income tax in the most recent budget is despairing in the extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭AstridBean

Sweet potatoes aren't that nice, but people rave about them. I actually prefer plain spuds.

God does not exist.
    He is not there just to justify your narrow-mindedness.

He or She?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Anybody asking for a drop in the Job Seekers Allowance/Benefit is a moron.

Plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

AstridBean wrote: »
    Sweet potatoes aren't that nice, but people rave about them. I actually prefer plain spuds.
    But sweet potatoes are fanshy.

Spuds + fancy = fancy spuds
    delicious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭AstridBean

later10 wrote: »
    But sweet potatoes are fanshy.

Spuds + fancy = fancy spuds
    delicious

*tries to figure out how to type the 'therefore' symbol*

/nerdette

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Over time the world heats up and cools down naturally. It happens. Get over it.
    Quick, you better get onto the climatologists and tell them to call off the search. I can't believe they haven't thought of this before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

+1, and fully funded by the state. Has to be a hell of a lot cheaper then years of child benefit and lone parents allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

1: We are not getting anything in return
    2: We already pay under a different name.
    3: Agree up to the harmonisation point. Harmonisation will put a weak nation, such as ourselves, in an even more disadvantaged position than we already are.
    4: While we got ourselves into it, the eu isn't doing much to help us out of it. Nor won't as long as Germany and France are motoring well.
    5: correct.
    6: was.
    7: The eu has barely affected our anglicisation. Home and Away has done more - cf D4 accents and lilt of their speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 gnag

kieranfitz wrote: »

+1, and fully funded by the state. Has to be a hell of a lot cheaper then years of child benefit and lone parents allowance.

I used to be of the opinion that every woman should have the choice. However, when I was 11 weeks pregnant i experienced some spotting. I went to the hospital and had a scan. I could see my baby's heart beating and was told to rest and just wait and see. Sadly the next day I miscarried. Since then I've been very glad that abortion isn't legal here. My baby was a living human at 11 weeks and abortions are allowed well after that. At least if women have to travel to get an abortion, they might think about it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ILikeTurtles

Cheese is over-rated..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I don't hate or even judge religious people but the authority and control scares me.

There is an assumption that the past was always better and sure isn't now really shít, we've lost our morals but that is no excuse for letting these flawed parts of these institutions having the control they do over the state.

Here that might be a popular opinion but in reality it is one of the popular opinions that exists as an unpopular opinion as the main chunk of the voters won't fight for a secular state or for change in that context, and the politicians won't fight for it to save themselves loosing that majour chunk of voters.

A sad world we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

edanto wrote: »
    He or She?

He, he is always portrayed as a he by the majority of religions.
    But the gender is irrelevant to something which very likely does not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Not sure if this qualifies as an unpopular opinion but being 'intelligent' isn't that important in life and most people that claim they're intelligent really aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

I have a friend who is a pseudo intellectual. He thinks that this makes him not only clever, but also half Japanese

Thank you, thank you...I'm here all week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

People should have to pass a test before having children.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Cheese is over-rated..

No. Just no.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement