Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forbrydelsen (The Killing) [** Spoilers, Season 1 & 2 **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Someone is going to pretty serious lengths to shut people up. I like the Justice Minister guy. He's not really your typical politician. Do you reckon the killer is in political circles, the Muslim community (seems unlikely), the army, or perhaps a mix of all three? Also, I was a bit confused by the use of Special Branch in the subtitles, for a while there I was thinking it may have meant the Danish version of MI5, but I was wondering if they'd bothered sticking their nose into a police investigation, even with a terrorism angle. So, maybe it is SB, just that they're a bit more independent than the mainstream police. What confused me was the Justice Minister asking why the police were not informed. A pretty grim death for Gruner. On a lighter note, the Colonel's tech savvy enough to notice his recent document list on his PC, check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Black Oil wrote: »
    On a lighter note, the Colonel's tech savvy enough to notice his recent document list on his PC, check it out!
    But not tech savvy enough to log out when he leaves the office. :pac:
    I haven't quite warmed to the new political group yet aside from Buch. This series is 10 episodes, right? So we're almost half way there and I've no clue what's going on.
    Brix is having an affair with the SB woman, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

I like to follow the Guardian blog on it but you need to have seen the episodes 3 and 4 first.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2011/nov/26/the-killing-series-2-episode-3-4

"Brix is having an affair with the SB woman, right? "

Well there is something we haven't been told yet.

According to Wikipedia.

The third series, Forbrydelsen III, is currently in production and is due to be aired in Denmark late September 2012.

Also, I was a bit confused by the use of Special Branch in the subtitles, for a while there I was thinking it may have meant the Danish version of MI5, but I was wondering if they'd bothered sticking their nose into a police investigation, even with a terrorism angle. So, maybe it is SB, just that they're a bit more independent than the mainstream police.
    The crowd being referred to as the Special Branch in the subtitles are actually the Danish equivalent of MI5 according to the Guardian Blog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Serious error by BBC4 to have this show starting at 9 and finishing at 11. Even the re-runs during the week are on late which isn't ideal for anyone without a sky system or a working knowledge of the video machine.

My money is on the Major having some involvement if we have met the killer already.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Just caught up with episodes 3 and 4, great great stuff.
    I hope we haven't seen the last of the blonde lady that works for the minister of justice, she is yummy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Trying to pace myself by splitting the double bill over the course of the week, but it's always tricky :P

Really enjoying Series 2 now that I'm into it. The new cast was initially disorientating, but it has lost none of the spirit or atmosphere of the first. Perhaps it even benefits in one degree by the speedier momentum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It feels like it's up there with The Wire. Sure, it's not as sweeping, not that it needs to be, but the general competence of the writing, characterisation and pacing is solid.

Lund was really reaching with the coffin thing. Again, I like the Justice Minister, Thomas Buch. His inexperience, mixed with his work ethic, attending to his duty, even if it means some political cost to himself, is welcome. Monberg's death was a touch obvious tonight, and the body count is already reasonably high...that would be my only real complaint, that there might be a slight bit of a stretch re who is running around killing these people. Who has the means and is doing it without being discovered? Part of the mystery, sure, but ...

Also, the size of the glasses on the Home Secretary at the security council briefing, man! There's a BAFTA clip out there after they won the award and a few of the cast are in it, including the guy who played Troels. Looks rather different with a beard. :pac:

I agree with the notion of there being a little bit of a stretch however I think that there is
    more than one involved in the killings
    I am also having difficult with the fact that
    someone is still using perks credit card
    Apart from that, this is wonderful stuff. I will miss it when it's gone.

• Advertisement

groovie wrote: »
    I am also having difficult with the fact that someone is still using perks credit card.

And his mother has obviously continued to pay the bill.

Great reply by Buch when he didn't have an answer
    "Well it's probably best you don't know so it doesn't look like you're involved."

colly_06 wrote: »
    Any bricks and mortar shops selling season 1 on dvd in Dublin by any chance?

Tower seem to have it, well, on their website, anyway. http://www.towerrecords.ie/product/Killing_Series_One[dvd]/519134

A bit overpriced, though.

Great episodes last night, marvellous plot developments, I am probably wrong but right now
    I think there is more than one killer at work, I think her partner did the priest and meant to kill Raben, but not the others, the surgeon perhaps

We'll find out next week, looking forward to it.

Well, you kinda knew it wasn't going to be Strange, Soggard or Raben. What will happen now with the flight situation?

I really liked how Buch called out the Defence Minister in public, although the fallout was obviously disasterous, it was all handled in an adult manner. Buch getting smashed was a little out of nowhere, though.

Whilst the People's Party chap seems to want Buch gone, I presume he dislikes the PM more intensely? I sometimes don't follow all the political stuff that's going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Edal

Any one where I can get a jumper like Lunds?

forb.jpg

I sometimes don't follow all the political stuff that's going on.

I think that having to follow it with the sub-titles doesn't help.

It's hard to believe we had to wait two years to see this.

The third series is due on Danish TV late next year and maybe BBC4 will be able to show it at the same time or very shortly after.

Edal wrote: »
    Any one where I can get a jumper like Lunds?

forb.jpg

http://shop.gudrungudrun.com/sweater-traditional-woman.aspx

Item number: 100.101

This is our best selling item ever - so simple and yet so special. It is especially know as Sarah Lunds favorite sweater in the danish TV-series "Forbrydelse" which currently is airing on British television as "the Killing". The sweater is also a favorite of danish supermodel, Helena Christensen, who has been seen wearing it on several occasions.

Handknitted with 100 % organic wool.

View size guide and read more about the the traditional line.

Also availabe for men.

EUR 280.00

I liked Buch switching to pears when he thought he was close to making a breakthrough and then "relapsing" back to chocolate when everything went....er....pear-shaped. :o

And he has Karina and Plough on the chocolate now too. Next week they'll be bouncing balls off the walls. :pac:

Strange is guilty imo because:
    a) Lund cannot be allowed to have a happy love life - it is at odds with the Forbrydelsen universe.
    b) It would make no sense for him to be the killer just as much as the killer in series 1 made no sense.

The series really flew. Hard to believe it all ends next week. :(

brian_t wrote: »
    http://shop.gudrungudrun.com/sweater-traditional-woman.aspx

Item number: 100.101

This is our best selling item ever - so simple and yet so special. It is especially know as Sarah Lunds favorite sweater in the danish TV-series "Forbrydelse" which currently is airing on British television as "the Killing". The sweater is also a favorite of danish supermodel, Helena Christensen, who has been seen wearing it on several occasions.

Handknitted with 100 % organic wool.

View size guide and read more about the the traditional line.

Also availabe for men.

EUR 280.00

Thanks a million Brian! That's so cool. If it's good enough for Helena Christensen, it's good enough for me.

Must start saving!!

Edal wrote: »
    Thanks a million Brian! That's so cool. If it's good enough for Helena Christensen, it's good enough for me.

Must start saving!!

The Killing: knit your own Sarah Lund jumper

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2011-11-18/the-killing-knit-your-own-sarah-lund-jumper

• Advertisement

brian_t wrote: »

I'd only mess it up. lol. Better to just pay the €280:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Whilst the People's Party chap seems to want Buch gone, I presume he dislikes the PM more intensely? I sometimes don't follow all the political stuff that's going on.

I think they're both politicians who want to get at the truth, no matter what ramifications that will lead to. Mr People's Party won't let his political motivations get in the way of his moral duty, and Buch is the same. Here's presuming they're going to get ****ed over because of it :D I really like Buch as a character though. I'm kinda hoping they don't end up having him have a heart attack with all that junk food and (sweaty) pressure being piled on him. Would make a nice poetic comparison to Monberg, but would feel sorta cheap.

Really enjoyed the last three or four episodes. Reminds me of the Wire series 2 - initially disorientating with a whole new cast of characters, but ultimately rewarding. The tighter pacing as a result of half episodes is a major improvement too.

That said, not sold on the Strange 'twist' just yet. Couldn't believe they sent him to Afghanistan even with the question marks hanging over his head. Curious to see where they go with it - I just find it bizarre that they could have gotten this far without the issue raising its ugly head.

But I do want to see Lund justified in her acute assumptions this time around. She's a great detective guilty of overinvesting in cases (emotionally and otherwise). As a character, though, I'd like to see her get some sort of happier ending. This is the Killing, though, so bleakness is surely ahoy!

Buch is great. :) I may have been imagining it, but I could have sworn there was one scene when he looked quite younger compared to how he looked last week and then later on in one of this week's episodes (not when he was sloshed)...he looked older. Maybe fatigue.

Agreed on the Strange twist, I wasn't particularly sold on that.

Buch is great. :) I may have been imagining it, but I could have sworn there was one scene when he looked quite younger compared to how he looked last week and then later on in one of this week's episodes (not when he was sloshed)...he looked older. Maybe fatigue.

I think he's only in his late thirties in the show. It's the weight on him that makes him look older. His surprise when Katrina said his wife was outside, was a little odd though.
    The bouncing the ball thing he does, he has very good reactions for a big guy (apologies for the cliche). "I'll have a pear". Brilliant.

Really enjoyed the last two episodes.

Too tired to comment further, will pick it up tomorrow. Hopefully reassuring that the BBC continuity announcer said there'll be a series 3, though it's not due to air in Denmark until late 2012.

That was a good finish.

It's a good job that Strange didn't go for a head-shot.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    The BBC will be screening the danish political drama Borgen too.

Borgen starts on Saturday 7th January 2012 at 9.00pm

Two episodes that night. Ten in total

Thought the Afghanistan stuff was well-done. No patrionising about the geopolitics and so forth. Plus, Lund's awesome jumper survived the trip.

Buch was really going for it, there was going to be no stopping him. Then the PM pulled the 'keep your friends close, but your enemies even closer' type thing. Here, the political stuff felt like a grown up version of the West Wing, as in, no wish fulfillment.

Lund getting shot was a bit over the top. I also wondered about her not being shot in the head, but perhaps Strange did that so as not to make it look like it was such a clean hit. The scene was well done - Lund lying to Strange about Brix, a necessary fishing expedition.

Re Bilal, the Muslim soldier who self-detonated, wasn't entirely convinced with him being someone to go down that path, who knows, though I get that he was pretty desperate.

I did laugh when the Deputy Commissioner, Ruth (?) wanted to introduced Brix to her husband.

Any ideas how the Guardian blog have entries up so fast? Do they see the episodes of us? I usually check them just after 11pm and the latest entries are always there, maybe they're written as the episodes air.

Any ideas how the Guardian blog have entries up so fast? Do they see the episodes of us? I usually check them just after 11pm and the latest entries are always there, maybe they're written as the episodes air.

I'm sure Journalists could ask for pre-view copies from the BBC. The Guardian has given the programme good publicity.
    You did notice too that Forbrydelsen 2 was made in 2009.

• Advertisement

And the job with the shortest life expectancy on the Danish police force is -
    being Sarah Lund's partner
    :pac:

I do suspect though that if you re-watched the series it might be less plausible that
    Strange
    was able to carry out all the murders.

Advertisement