Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forbrydelsen (The Killing) [** Spoilers, Season 1 & 2 **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

brian_t wrote: »

Is the Kevlar version extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭ironingbored

I think the writers could have been more subtle about the defining moment in the series...
    when the killer fails to put a bullet in Lund's head
    . This is a person who has mutilated and/or subjected the victims to horrific deaths...
    then why not Lund?

A more subtle approach would have been yes hesitation but coupled with another cop shouting out Lund's name or something hence the killer fleeing.

I think the writers could have been more subtle about the defining moment in the series...
    when the killer fails to put a bullet in Lund's head
    . This is a person who has mutilated and/or subjected the victims to horrific deaths...
    then why not Lund?

A more subtle approach would have been yes hesitation but coupled with another cop shouting out Lund's name or something hence the killer fleeing.
    Perhaps he treated her differently because he knew her, and couldn't bring himself to blow her brains out, so went for the more impersonal upper-body shots, not thinking that she was wearing a Kevlar vest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭ironingbored

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Perhaps he treated her differently because he knew her, and couldn't bring himself to blow her brains out, so went for the more impersonal upper-body shots, not thinking that she was wearing a Kevlar vest?
    I was actually talking about earlier in the series when she chases the killer having come upon the priest. When the killer failed to blow her brains out you knew it was Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

It was a great series, happy to see it in five weeks too. Looking forward to the next series of this, in 12 months time. In the meantime I might explore getting through the first series. Lund is pretty hard to shake off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

Was glued to both series but tbh theres an awful lot of holes in KII.Raben must have been some kind of superman to evade the Special Branch for so long,and still turn up at the officers ball...found myself going ah come on now more than once during the series.Guardian Blog good for pointing out these little blips.Still,cant wait for KIII tho...

Was glued to both series but tbh theres an awful lot of holes in KII.Raben must have been some kind of superman to evade the Special Branch for so long,and still turn up at the officers ball...found myself going ah come on now more than once during the series.Guardian Blog good for pointing out these little blips.Still,cant wait for KIII tho...

I understood that Special Branch knew where he was, and were just using him as bait to draw out the killer? They only lost track of him when his father-in-law helped him give them the slip.

It seems hard to believe that both the Guardian blog and yourself missed the conversation in which the pros and cons of Raben being used as bait were explored.
    Perhaps you were reading the blog whilst watching the program? Perhaps the blogger was writing the blog whilst watching the program.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I thought it was an excellent series but the whole story about
    Bilal
    didn't really add up. If
    he wasn't the killer
    why was he so desperate? Why
    did he kidnap Raben's missus and then blow himself up?

Bilal was following orders, or so he thought what he did was
    delete the messages from Strange, and being unable to talk about it, he was very unstable by the end
    I would agree it was a bit ropey though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

Preferred its length to the first series which was way too long at 20 eps, but found myself confused by the plot at times. Perhaps I'm just not very good at following difficult storylines. Very watchable though, largely because of Grabol's performance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just caught the repeat (episode nine didn't record at the weekend :() and thought it was great television let down by a cheap action conclusion. I still had a raised eyebrow concerning the Strange business, but I kind of see the - admittedly stretched - logic behind it. Sort of all came together at the end. Some suspension of disbelief required, but hey we come to the Killing for atmosphere, political intrigue and character development, right?

Enjoyed the direction all the other narrative strands went off in. A little disappointed Buch
    resigned himself to the machinations of government - honestly thought he was going to be the anti-Troels
    :( A bittersweet half victory, half loss for the man.

Overall a better paced series, and definitely a fantastically tense last few hours. It lost the reliance on red herrings this time around to its favour, although the plot did come across as a bit contrived as a result. Ending wasn't as strong as season one either, but still gave the characters interesting, offbeat resolutions. The stupidity of the
    bullet proof vest 'twist'
    was an unfortunately sour note to depart fair Denmark on, but it's certainly still the strongest, most mature police procedural drama out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just caught up with the final two episodes tonight (I've been taping on Wednesdays), I'm still slightly bamboozelled by it all! Part of the problem is that subtitles only get you so far, emphasis and nuance get lost and the other problem is that dialogue at times comes so thick and fat it just can't stay on screen long enough to be taken in fully as words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

mike65 wrote: »
    Just caught up with the final two episodes tonight (I've been taping on Wednesdays), I'm still slightly bamboozelled by it all! Part of the problem is that subtitles only get you so far, emphasis and nuance get lost and the other problem is that dialogue at times comes so thick and fat it just can't stay on screen long enough to be taken in fully as words.

I found it fine to follow but I watch more foreign language movies than english and you do naturally get use to following body language too because not all translations are good quality.

Congrats on breaking the 70,000 post barrier.:)

Congrats on breaking the 70,000 post barrier.:)

That's 18.26 posts per day for over 10 years. Holy Boardage, Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

I found it fine to follow but I watch more foreign language movies than english and you do naturally get use to following body language too because not all translations are good quality.
    Thank Christ it was on BBC and they did decent translation. I missed the finale and had to download it complete with terrible English translation. I gave up 15 mins in and had to wangle my way onto the IPlayer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Recently watched the first episode of the first season again - had forgotten how much of an impact the discovery of the body has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Loved season 1 but s2 blew it out of the water! Roll on S3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I came to this all ar$eways.
    I watched the US Killing on CH4; 12 episodes as opposed to the Danish 20 episodes. I'd missed the Danish version at that stage and haven't seen it since.

Then Season 2 of the Danish version started & I recorded it on my PVR. Haven't watched it yet.

So my question; I'm looking forward to season 2 of the US version (purists look away now!) can I watch Danish season 2 without spoiling what's coming in the US season 2?
    I'm assuming the US version will follow the broad strokes of the Danish, longer season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

cjt156 wrote: »
    So my question; I'm looking forward to season 2 of the US version (purists look away now!) can I watch Danish season 2 without spoiling what's coming in the US season 2?
    I'm assuming the US version will follow the broad strokes of the Danish, longer season 1.
    Probably not. I think I read somewhere that the first case is solved early in The Killing Series 2 (US version) whereas it's completely resolved at the end of Forbrydelsen Series 1 (Danish version).

So the bulk of The Killing Series 2 will be a new case and if the plot of that case follows the Forbrydelsen Series 2 then you will spoil the overall storyline for The Killing Series 2 by watching Forbrydelsen Series 2. Confused yet? :)

But really you should do yourself a favour and ditch the US version in favour of the Danish version.
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

DeepBlue wrote: »

But really you should do yourself a favour and ditch the US version in favour of the Danish version.
    :pac:

And there's the dilemma!;)
    Thanks...I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭brian_t

The final series of Forbrydelsen will explore the global financial crisis as the ostensibly random murder of a sailor leads Sarah Lund through the financial community.

http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Kultur/2011/09/12/095955.htm

This is due to air in Denmark in September.
    It would be great if BBC4 could show it at the same time

Fans of Danish crime series may be interested in "Those Who Kill". Starts tomorrow Thursday on ITV3
    Those Who Kill (Den Som Dræber in Danish) is a Danish crime series. The series was created and written by Elsebeth Egholm and Stefan Jaworski. Several screenwriters worked as episode writers including Siv Rajendram, Stefan Jaworski, Rikke De Fine Licht and Thorleif Hoppe. Directors include Birger Larsen, Niels Nørløv and Kasper Barfoed.

The series depicts a special unit within Copenhagen Police which deals with homicide including serial murders. The series consists of ten episodes of which two episodes form a two-part story, enabling the series to also be screened as five films. A continuation of the series in the form of a film with the title Fortidens skygge will premiere in Denmark in March 2012.

In a similar compliment to the series to the ones given to DR's series Forbrydelsen and Borgen, a US network has arranged to remake Those Who Kill for the A&E Network.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Those_Who_Kill_(Danish_TV_series)

Those Who Kill
    ITV3
    Thursday 23rd February 2012
    22:00 to 00:00

The Corpse in the Wood.
    Danish crime drama series about a police team whose task is to track down serial killers. When the skeletons of four young women are found buried in woodland north of Copenhagen, DCI Katrine Ries Jensen and forensic psychiatrist Thomas Schaeffer are drawn into the perilous hunt for a serial killer. The murderer kills according to a pattern, but one which is at first impenetrable. For both Katrine and Thomas, the challenge becomes one of discerning the human being behind the monster. Only when they come to understand the fantasies and trauma that drive him will they be able to confront him.
    Starring: Laura Sofia Bach, Jakob Cedergren, Lars Mikkelsen
    (Editor's Choice, Stereo, New Episode, Widescreen, 2012, 3 Star)
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/
    Copyright GipsyMedia Ltd.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

i think this started off well, but 20 episodes is way too much, started to get a bit drawn out in the middle. The police work by lund was terrible, never asking the right questions, always having to question people a few times, i think it was a way of filling out the episodes,the killer didnt make sense and there were a load of holes in the story.

i would say its average at best,how someone above says its the best tv they have ever seen, needs to watch more tv

Tomorrow BBC News 24 has a 25 minute section on Danish drama called
    "From The Killing to Borgen: The Danish Secret of Success".

What is it about subtitled Danish TV dramas that make them such compulsive viewing? Emma Jane Kirby talks on set to Danish stars, writers and creators of the shows.

It's on three times at 10.30am, 2.30pm and 8.30pm.

If you miss it there is an account of it here http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17853928

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks for that.

I wonder how US shows are received in Sweden and Denmark and if there are any blogs or review sites from there, in English.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I just finished watching season two last night and I don't understand what exactly Plough is supposed to have done. I was also confused by Bilal's story and have no idea how Strange managed to avoid detection all along. Is Brix really that thick?

I don't remember the exact details of the story at this stage but the Guardian blog is still online which might interest you as you've just finished watching it.
    Plough turned out to be Buch's leak; the stickler for rules and fineprint so bent on revenge for his son that he failed to see that his actions were sabotaging Buch's own attempts at justice.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2011/dec/17/the-killing-2-episodes-9-10

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭pedantic.pat

Not sure if this has been mentioned previously. For anyone who enjoyed Forbrydelsen there is a new Danish/Swedish Tv series called the bridge (Bron/Broen).

It was on BBC4 a few weeks back. I finished it last week. I really enjoyed it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1733785/

Thanks for that suggestion brian_t will check that out.

Anyone any other scandanavian tv series recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hamarinn (The Cliff) - Icelandic mini series
    Ornen (The Eagle) - Pan-Scandinavian detective series

Borgen is supposed to be good but I haven't got around to watching it yet.

Advertisement