Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forbrydelsen (The Killing) [** Spoilers, Season 1 & 2 **]

Options
  • 19-08-2011 12:19am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I'm about 6 episodes into this now and according to the thread covering the US remake, I believe the original will be on BBC 4 from Sunday night onwards. I won't go into spoiler territory too much at this point, will spoiler tag a few details in case anyone is going to start on the show at the weekend.

The original seems better than the US version, I think. It's a bit different in tone and the manner, plus elements of victim's death are laid out more graphically -
    serious sexual assault/rape. I don't recall such detail in the original, but I could have forgotten.
    I would say that there's also a bit more life in Forbrydelsen's characters, also
    the new detective isn't a narc officer, though I suppose that may still emerge.
    Thus far, it feels more engaging.

Less rain, too. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I'm about 6 episodes into this now and according to the thread covering the US remake, I believe the original will be on BBC 4 from Sunday night onwards. I won't go into spoiler territory too much at this point, will spoiler tag a few details in case anyone is going to start on the show at the weekend.

The original seems better than the US version, I think. It's a bit different in tone and the manner, plus elements of victim's death are laid out more graphically -
    serious sexual assault/rape. I don't recall such detail in the original, but I could have forgotten.
    I would say that there's also a bit more life in Forbrydelsen's characters, also
    the new detective isn't a narc officer, though I suppose that may still emerge.
    Thus far, it feels more engaging.

Less rain, too. :pac:
    For some reason I stopped watching this after the sixth or seventh episode. I think I was worn out on after watching the killing, and then almost immediately moving onto this. Plenty of parallels but the tone and how the case unfolds in this one is a more engaging. Less twists, but there are some. I have to say, the characters are much more likeable and believable than in The Killing.

I really must get back to this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I loved this, thought it was the best police drama I'd seen since The Shield although there is no similarity between the two. I have the second series but the subtitles are not up to scratch and want to wait for BBC to show it with good subs. Are they re-showing season one or are they finally showing the second series on BBC4?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Are they re-showing season one or are they finally showing the second series on BBC4?
    Afaik they are re-showing Series 1 and have picked up Series 2 for later in the year.
    Like you I'm waiting for better subtitles before getting stuck into Series 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yeah, I believe it's the first series. Sun-Thiurs, 10pm each night if I'm reading the schedule right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Watched it first time round, far superior to any of the clips of the American version I seen. BBC4 showed a trailer for the second series Forbrydelsen II after the first run saying that its due in the Autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Up to episode 10 now. The quality of Lund's police work is much better than that of Linden. Plus, her teenage son isn't an obnoxious little so and so as he is in the US version. In the remake, the shadow of suspicion moved around, but as a viewer, you knew it was never going to be who they were investigating. The original is better at keeping you guessing. The political stuff is handled better, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

For those of us who watched the US version, is it worth watching this?
    Do we know the story already?

From what I've seen so far I'd say, yes, it's worth your time. The story is largely the same, but aspects of it are dealt with a little differently compared to the US version. The pacing's a bit better and the family situation is more reserved, not overwrought.

Overall, some very good TV.

I liked that Permille was kind of a semi detective towards the end or was at least quietly suspicious. Vagn dying at Theis's hand was unavoidable, ideal world he would have been taken into custody, but we were never going to see the wheels of justice spin into gear or see any extended interrogation scenes with him being pressed hard for the truth. Perhaps in one way it was a little disappointing because it added to the body count which started to escalate in the latter half of the series - Olay, Holck, etc and of course, Meyer.

Lund lost a lot here. Her partner, family, security in her job, her health to some degree. Clearly a very driven person, but at high personal cost.

Again, this really kept you guessing throughout. The cloud of suspicion hung over a few people. I would include Brix (Lund's superior who replaced the older guy) as I felt he was being hinted at as possibly being a bit iffy, whilst simultaneously possibly keeping further heat off Lund, not because of comparison to the US version, but because of the material here. The prosecutors had a job to do, but they seemed like a pair of arses.

I think political stuff was still well-handled even in the later episodes. I'm a bit confused though, what did Morten do there near the end? He had held back the photo to keep Troels in check, or something? Think it went over my head due to a bit of subtitle fatigue!

It must have been difficult to sustain the momentum they did over 20 episodes, but they a pretty good job, not exactly written on the fly.

Question is, where will the US version go now? I hope they solve season 1's case in the first few episodes of season 2 and don't drag it out for another 10-13. OK so the original had 20, but its overall package was better and well-executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The two shows are very similar in maybe in the first episode but after that it's night and day. The original is so much better in every way.

For those asking is it worth watching after seeing the American version, well most definitely yes. Much better characterisation, plot lines, acting, the list goes on, plus you get a conclusion at the end of the season, unlike it's American counter part.

Disappointed to hear about the subs on season 2. I have about 6 episodes ready to watch to may wait now. Is there only one version of the subs out there. Mine are tagged as new subs or new version subs but if they're not up to scratch, I'd prefer to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

One of the best shows I have watched all year, I was completely engaged right until the end. Cannot recommend it enough! Must check out the second season when it comes out on bbc.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

We watched Frobydelsen and loved it. The Killing came out about two weeks after we finished it and could only watch two episodes because at that stage they were identical. Does the Killing start to deviate from the Frobydelsen's plot at any stage or is pretty faithful? Is there any point watching after see the original?

I've a couple of issues with the show and one is that
    the reveal of the killer didn't make any sense. Ostensibly he killed Nanna because she was about to elope and thus upset Pernille and Theis. So he had to rape and drown her?
    And since he didn't want to be caught he also had to kill the taxi-driver who was his co-worker. But then he just outs himself to Theis and basically forces Theis to kill him. And also why couldn't the taxi-driver/co-worker just shop him to the cops instead of trying to flee to Vietnam?

But other than those somewhat illogical twists the acting, atmosphere, writing, and music make up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭honkytonk52

a cracking show... 20 hour long episodes is a lot but well worth it..iv never looked at a series with so many suspects, it keep you guessing right to the end...

on another note it seems like it is night time in the whole 20 episodes apart from maybe 1 0r 2 at the start!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I think the rain and darkness added to the overall mood though - it wouldn't have worked as well in sunshine! I'm glad I watched this over the US version, I'm not pushed on watching the US version either as I haven't heard much about it.

I really enjoyed that every episode had you constantly analysing every character, wondering if they did it. It got a bit strenuous towards the end but that was probably my own fault for not having enough patience to find out who did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭pedantic.pat

Just finished season 1 last night. Best tv series I have ever seen. Better than dare I say it - breaking bad. I have never watched a series that has you gripped from start to finish. I just didnt want it to end. every episode and scene are shot perfectly to get you emotionally involved with the characters.

Cant recommend this series enough. W watch it!

Anyone Know what month season2 is on bbc? will have be a hell of a show to top series 1.!

I think political stuff was still well-handled even in the later episodes. I'm a bit confused though, what did Morten do there near the end? He had held back the photo to keep Troels in check, or something? Think it went over my head due to a bit of subtitle fatigue!d.

I think when hartmann threatened to go to the cops about mortem tampering with the crime scene (wiping down the doors and stairs). Morten produced the photos and made several copies saying if hartmann went to the cops about him he would show the police hartmann misled the investigation/lied to cops saying he never met Nana. So yeh he was blackmailing hartmann..role on season 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Just finished season 1 last night. Best tv series I have ever seen. Better than dare I say it - breaking bad. I have never watched a series that has you gripped from start to finish. I just didnt want it to end. every episode and scene are shot perfectly to get you emotionally involved with the characters.

Cant recommend this series enough. W watch it!

Anyone Know what month season2 is on bbc? will have be a hell of a show to top series 1.!

This month according to the Guadian. I checked BBC4 schedule for next weekend and its not listed as yet. AFAIK series two is 10 episodes. The BBC will be screening the danish political drama Borgen too.

BBC
    Following on from the huge success of the BAFTA-winning, The Killing, BBC Four have acquired a new 10-part series from the same production company, DR/Danish Broadcasting Corp (in-house production).
    Borgen is a compelling drama series about the fight for political power and its consequences. Sidse Babett Knudsen plays 40-year-old party leader Birgitte Nyborg who successfully secures a surprise election victory only to discover the biggest challenge of her life is yet to come.

Privately, Birgitte leads a happy family life with her husband and two children. She is a woman with a burning commitment, a big heart and too little time. Her challenge to be a successful politician and remain true to her beliefs will involve personal sacrifice with far reaching consequences for all those involved. Borgen's mix of complex characters include cynical but brilliant media adviser, Kasper Juul, and young television political journalist Katrine Fonsmark, whose screen presence has quickly earned her popularity but whose personal life threatens to destroy everything she has worked so hard for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭brian_t

thanks corsendonk and brian t will set the sky + for that!

• Advertisement

Forbrydelsen II (The Killing) BBC Four Facebook Page

http://www.facebook.com/ForbrydelsenII

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

I enjoyed watching it, but really the amount of red herrings was ridiculous. It would have made a better 12 episode series, 20 was too much imo, as I thought they struggled to fill all the episodes by introducing more and more suspects. It would have been more believable had it been shorter - you think you have it wrapped up at say the 10th episode, and then realise you're only half way through and can't possibly be right! Great characterisation and acting though, and overall very watchable.

Series 2 is starting the 19th of November on BBC4. :)

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Series 2 is starting the 19th of November on BBC4. :)

Brilliant thanks deep blue

Hippo wrote: »
    It would have made a better 12 episode series, 20 was too much imo.

They have been listening to you.
    10 episodes this time around.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2011/47/the-killing-II.html

Starts Tomorrow.

Less swearing this time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/nov/17/bbc-the-killing-corporation

"The BBC has requested that the swearing used in the subtitles for the second series of The Killing, which returns with a double-episode opener on BBC4 on Saturday, be toned down for British viewers.

This subtitling request follows a complaint from a viewer who said that in the first series, broadcast earlier this year, translaters went overboard and translated nearly all expletives into the word "****" in English, no matter their level of offence in the Danish language."

(I see that boards.ie automatically replaces the F-word with asterisks)

There is a Question and Answer session with Sofie Gråbøl here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2011/nov/18/the-killing-2-sofie-grabol

Off to a good start, maybe even more complicated than series 1. I like the political stuff as it's done without much fuss or stuffiness. I can only imagine that if this was American that the Colonel's daughter would be pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

I'm so happy it's back and it seems to be off to a good start. It's real wintry television- I can't think of many other shows that capture that rainy, run-up-to-christmas weather where it's dark before 5. I'm already looking forward to the next episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

I enjoyed the first two episodes, should make the run up to christmas more entertaining. It's set at this time of year too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Any bricks and mortar shops selling season 1 on dvd in Dublin by any chance?

Advertisement