Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Everyone seems so amazed that the actor who plays Nidge doesn't have that accent in real life.

Have you never heard an actor do a good accent before?

Actually both the accents are fake. The scanger accent is for the show and the D4 accent is for real life.

Excellent actor though! Best character too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I think we've all been brought up on terrible examples of RTE luvvies attempting to do Dub accents, and failing miserably, so it is a bit unusual to see someone actually pull it off. And it's not just the accent - everything about Nidge screams knacker - the hair, the clothes, the wife, the way he moves and drives etc.

He's a good actor alright, definitely the best performance for me in this series. I'm just not that surprised I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

I think we've all been brought up on terrible examples of RTE luvvies attempting to do Dub accents, and failing miserably, so it is a bit unusual to see someone actually pull it off. And it's not just the accent - everything about Nidge screams knacker - the hair, the clothes, the wife, the way he moves and drives etc.

ya that quick almost waddle of a walk..very good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Fran got knicked, he hasn't gone down (yet).

No idea if they're available for podcast, but the two part 2xfm/ 2fm shows are well worth catching if you're into the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

In episode 4(or 3 maybe?) John Boy brushed off Darrens request not to tell Rosie about him killing stumpy. He then promised Rosie he didn't do it, and proposed to her. I think Darren killed JB for this as much as anything else, and in an effort to stop all the violence as JB is off the rails.

Nidge taking over next season will be good, since he's a complete mental case, and has his double sided family man side too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Keyzer wrote: »
    He didn't say it was as good as the sopranos, he said it was the Irish sopranos.
    He said it's as good as anything we have seen from the brits or the yanks. The Sopranos is American right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

In episode 4(or 3 maybe?) John Boy brushed off Darrens request not to tell Rosie about him killing stumpy. He then promised Rosie he didn't do it, and proposed to her. I think Darren killed JB for this as much as anything else, and in an effort to stop all the violence as JB is off the rails.
    What do ya think this is, some kind of chick flick? ;)

Nidge weasel is quick thinking, he could have said to Darren I'll give you 100grand to whack JB because no one actually told JB the money didnt make it onto the plane so it wasnt going to cost Nidge anything if it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Seen John boy getting shot coming wasn't expecting to happen last night:D

Good show in fairness to it

Get rid of Rosie please :mad: Painful scenes with her and Darren.

Is there going to be a series 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

JG009 wrote: »

Nidge weasel is quick thinking, he could have said to Darren I'll give you 100grand to whack JB because no one actually told JB the money didnt make it onto the plane so it wasnt going to cost Nidge anything if it worked.

Wasn't it nice of Nidge to offer to help Tommy out by keeping the money in his safe? "Your safe?" "Yeah, I got one put in".

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Shane10 wrote: »
    one thing i thought didnt fit was how the hell was Fran arrested?? hes a ganster and knew the guy he glassed right. so what did he stand around and wait for the cops to show up and tell them he did it??? obvisouly the bartender would have kept his mouth shut. for all the things he could have went down for he gets nicked for glassing a guy..come on??

Who's to say he wasn't in on it? With John Boy being shot, Fran is naturally going to be the number one suspect. What better alibi than being in police custody? I reckon that him and Nidge cut a deal and will be going into business together.

Could see Fran taking over from John Boy if there is a third series.

• Advertisement

one thing i thought didnt fit was how the hell was Fran arrested?? hes a ganster and knew the guy he glassed right. so what did he stand around and wait for the cops to show up and tell them he did it??? obvisouly the bartender would have kept his mouth shut. for all the things he could have went down for he gets nicked for glassing a guy..come on??

The old Al Capone trick maybe. Get him for the first crime you can no matter what it is? :)

I can see problems between Darren and Nidge ahead and i think that will form the basis of series 3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Who's to say he wasn't in on it? With John Boy being shot, Fran is naturally going to be the number one suspect. What better alibi than being in police custody? I reckon that him and Nidge cut a deal and will be going into business together.

I'm enjoying Love/Hate I have to say. Nidge will now move in and take over i reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I'm enjoying Love/Hate I have to say. Nidge will now move in and take over i reckon.

there's a lot more scope for stories if nidge takes over. If Fran takes over, it's mostly "that was how John did it, this is how Fran does it" - we didn't know Fran before this series, so we can't compare him with who he was before. With nidge taking over we've more room for themes like - how does it change him, how does it affect his family life, how does it change his relationship with the foot soldiers etc.

Only downside is that if nidge does take over, he'll almost inevitably end up like John boy. Also there's lots of room for Tommy in s3 I think, really great understated role that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

I think John Boy had something on the cop. He made a comment that the money he paid him "should keep him in rent boys for a while" so he was probably blackmailing him and you could see the cop hated it and was in over his head

the guard was on john boys payroll , a guy on the inside , nothing more to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Everything in life is fast with our Darren. Shootings are fast with little fuss. Sex is fast and now beards grow fast :D

and despite being a two times murderer ( we assume :confused: ) , he still retains that apparent innocence , ive said it before , darren is the biggest scummer of them all , a baby faced assasin , visting the mother of the guy he whacked and playing the sympathiser to perfection without the slightest bit of discomfort

.............. - everything about Nidge screams knacker - the hair, the clothes, the wife, the way he moves and drives etc.

.... it's a bit OTT really I think and loses credibility as a result. Darren than is polar opposite, but still has zero credibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

ha..this thread is turning into the sopranos thread, so many possible outcomes..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 85,507 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope Fran is in Season 3

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I reckon next week we'll find out that a lot more was discussed at Fran and Nidge's sit-down.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I reckon next week we'll find out that a lot more was discussed at Fran and Nidge's sit-down.

defo, pity next week is the last of this series.

I note the DVD is coming out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

RoverJames wrote: »
    .... it's a bit OTT really I think and loses credibility as a result. Darren than is polar opposite, but still has zero credibility.

he's a bit OTT in public, even with his wife but not when he's one-on-one with someone like Darren or John Boy (RIP ;)). I think that's deliberate - I think part of his character is that he has this persona he uses, but we also see the "real" him in private - remember his "I don't give a **** about anyone, even me wife" speech?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

irishh_bob wrote: »
    the guard was on john boys payroll , a guy on the inside , nothing more to it

No JB definately had something on him. There was a line about keeping the cop using all those rent boys. Maybe it was a bit of both in that he paid him and was blackmailing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

I know this is a stupid question but what did Nidge have under the decking??
    I think I wasn't paying attention/ didn't see that episode..
    Really hope there's a season 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I know this is a stupid question but what did Nidge have under the decking??
    I think I wasn't paying attention/ didn't see that episode..
    Really hope there's a season 3!

In a previous episode you see Johnboy accessing the decking for a small stash of coke, and various documents, and I think some cash. As someone says above its probably the deposits for the cash JB had offshored in the hope of keeping it away from CAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

But Nidge didn't seem to bring the box with him when he was leaving the apartment and it looked to big to fit inside his jacket...He just heldup what looked like a passport....fake id for John Boy to leave the country, maybe hes not really dead at all, although he'll look pretty disfigured after been shot in the face twice!!?

Also, did Aido get shot in the end? Not really clear what happened to him

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Qwerty27 wrote: »
    But Nidge didn't seem to bring the box with him when he was leaving the apartment and it looked to big to fit inside his jacket...He just heldup what looked like a passport....fake id for John Boy to leave the country, maybe hes not really dead at all, although he'll look pretty disfigured after been shot in the face twice!!?

I put that down as a book of all JohnBoy's contacts in the drug world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Qwerty27 wrote: »

It doesn't show Aido getting shot, in fact the next scene after JB is shot is Nidge going up to (presumably dead) JB's body and taking his keys. In the background people are shuffling around looking, but the two gunmen are gone so presumably it's a few seconds later. So Aido's probably shít himself but isn't dead. Nidge legs it to JB's apartment, presumably before the police can get there, and finds the thing that looks like a passport but could be as suggested by others, a book of contacts, or receipts for his overseas deposits. Whatever it is, it must be valuable as it's the only thing Nidge goes for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Possibly back a/c numbers and relevant passwords for them. Remember all that cash being shipped abroad? Stored in an escape passport would make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

ha..this thread is turning into the sopranos thread, so many possible outcomes..:D

Should that not be The O'pranos if we want to market it to HBO?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement