Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milk Rounds 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭pandas

well FRIG it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didnt get a call from Eversheds!!! soo disheartened!! Anyone else get a call!??

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lilfeely

LivinLaVida, get back on here and tell us who rang you :P Why would you say we've no chance if someone else comes on here and says it? It's a killer though, why rave so much about me..it all seems insincere now :( Thanks, I've my fingers crossed for you too, hope we get it :)

Just because if someone else got a phone call I would presume they rang everyone they were offering to today but im only presuming of course! They said that they would get back to everyone by Friday so there still is hope yet:)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

They rang late so they could easily be calling tomorrow too. Any1 know how many they take on?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Atticus Lynch

Hey guys. I was lucky enough to get an offer from Eversheds today. Just to let ye know that it is the partner who interviews who rings so don't give up hope as particular partners might be busy or whatever. Also it was evening that they rang so it could be only later on that they are doing it during the days.

I must say with them that i feel a little bit of pressure from them to decide asap as you have to let them know by the 12th but there is some reception thing the 6th! Also you feel kinda rude asking the questions about wages and stuff so you can make an informed decision so it feels a bit awkward. But I can't really complain.

Best of luck to everyone!

When you said they were 'raving' about you, what were they saying!??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭irishgirl23

When you said they were 'raving' about you, what were they saying!??

They just said at the end loads of times "that was great", "you really did a fantastic interview, well done", "we kept the best till last", "that was brilliant". Etc. Seems hilarious in hindsight :D

I'd say I'm gone, when there are three people on here saying they've been given offers, I'd say chances are next to nil that I'll hear something tomorrow.

Anybody get a call by a partner by the name of Sean? Were you all called by the partner who interviewed you?

i didnt think they were offering that many places so i would say they rang them all today... gutted!! wonder will the pfo be in a letter as opposed to a phonecall yeah?

That's odd to comment on how u did in the interview! I'm not sure if the person who called me was the partner or the associate, I wasn't able to distinguish between the 2, but the person who rang did interview me. Anyone know how many they take on?

That's odd to comment on how u did in the interview! I'm not sure if the person who called me was the partner or the associate, I wasn't able to distinguish between the 2, but the person who rang did interview me. Anyone know how many they take on?

The praise was definitely over-effusive! I'm not sure it was warranted, but how and ever. What time did they ring you, frustrated? My phone was out of signal for a few hours, too.... *clutches at straws* :D

they said something similar to me too at the end...that it was a excellent interview well done.. id say they were just fobbin us off just to say something at the end.. like they weren't going to give us realistic feedback directly.

2 trainees for 2012 and 8 trainees for 2013..thats leaving spaces for the 2013 interns..i asked that question in the HR thing afterwards and thats what they said..it was funny looking around the room when i asked her to clarify that they do keep spaces for their interns...one particular girls jaw dropped haha it was funi!!

• Advertisement

Maybe u both just had really enthusiastic interviewers! Id say they dont fully decide until they all sit down and talk with HR, because even between the 2 interviewing they may have different ideas

yea frustrated, i took it with salt i didnt expect anything just because they had said that..i knew not to base anything on it! OBVIOUSLY i was right!! :-)

Well u dont know until Friday anyway, so dont send any negative vibes out!!And their HR ppl seemed very keen in finding out about us all and the various firms recruitment processes, so u could always ask them for feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭birdie89

does anyone know when we will hear from DE?

well ye this is true haha..its not over until the fat lady sings... or at the very least ill go into denial until I have to face reality..Friday haha!!

No idea about DE, have MOP or Fry's offers been made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 LivinLaVida

Hey guys. I was lucky enough to get an offer from Eversheds today. Just to let ye know that it is the partner who interviews who rings so don't give up hope as particular partners might be busy or whatever. Also it was evening that they rang so it could be only later on that they are doing it during the days.

I must say with them that i feel a little bit of pressure from them to decide asap as you have to let them know by the 12th but there is some reception thing the 6th! Also you feel kinda rude asking the questions about wages and stuff so you can make an informed decision so it feels a bit awkward. But I can't really complain.

Best of luck to everyone!

Yeah Atticus I felt that aswell on the phone. They were putting on the pressure already. I said I would go to the drinks thing anyway. I have a few mates in there so I will find out the scoop vis a vis salary but from memory I think it is sizeably lower than the top 5 but at the same time good training and international. Irish Girl it was the partner that I interviewed that rang me. Don't get me wrong I was grateful for the offer but I don't want to commit before I know the outcome about everything else. Good luck to everybody I know how **** this whole process is. Frys are making their decision 2moro, that is what the lads told me today.

Lol, god, don't worry, I thought nothing of the "praise", at most I thought it was amusing. Quite misleading when I got nowhere from it:cool:

Lol, god, don't worry, I thought nothing of the "praise", at most I thought it was amusing. Quite misleading when I got nowhere from it:cool:

Ah you don't know at all wait until 2moro. I would say they are taking on 10-12. It seems like the summer internship is a good way in there. I was looking at the interview list on sat and there was loads of people marked intern. I know my mate worked the summer internship and two more months and was than offered his contract just last month

when u say sizeably would it be at least 10k lower? It would be lovely if all the firms made their decision on the 1 day!

• Advertisement

7 or 8 i think

Ive also notices throught the interview process that for mosta the firms, they have a lot of interns they interview, so could be a good way in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 xx29xx

ah! My fry's interview is tomorrow! hmmm. Anyway anyone got any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

From what I know Maples pay the most at 45k. Then the Big 5 come in and I think I am in the ballpark when saying that McCann pay circa 40k, MOP 36k, AC 34k. Not sure about Frys and AL but I think they are in and about the 34k mark

I know people who have already been offered traineeships from the big 5 (they were interns) and it seems that McCanns, MOP and A&L all pay the exact same at 36k for first year. I've heard that Maples pay well but don't know anyone who could confirm it. Presumably the mid-size firms pay less than the big 5.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

From what I know Maples pay the most at 45k. Then the Big 5 come in and I think I am in the ballpark when saying that McCann pay circa 40k, MOP 36k, AC 34k. Not sure about Frys and AL but I think they are in and about the 34k mark

McCanns and MOP are both 36k

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Atticus Lynch

You seem to know your stuff Livin La Vida - 7 or 8 seems a lot! Looks like we're in a similar boat! I'm half thinking of getting in contact with HR, as opposed to the partner, to ask those sort of questions. I mean they have to be realistic to expect you to wait to hear from the others first.

Are you going to that drinks thing before accepting? I might too but it was funny cus I kinda got the impression that you should accept before going! I mean I think they should prob have that after the acceptance date!

As Livin La Vida said I don't want to come across as ungrateful but it's a strange interim period. Its funny I was at the McCann presentation tonight and all the firms seem attractive like! The most recent presentation seems like the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭advicewhore

Has anyone got an offer from A&L yet??

Also - Maples pay circa £40k - definitely the highest one. One of my friends is starting this year and that is what they are on.

You seem to know your stuff Livin La Vida - 7 or 8 seems a lot! Looks like we're in a similar boat! I'm half thinking of getting in contact with HR, as opposed to the partner, to ask those sort of questions. I mean they have to be realistic to expect you to wait to hear from the others first.

Are you going to that drinks thing before accepting? I might too but it was funny cus I kinda got the impression that you should accept before going! I mean I think they should prob have that after the acceptance date!

As Livin La Vida said I don't want to come across as ungrateful but it's a strange interim period. Its funny I was at the McCann presentation tonight and all the firms seem attractive like! The most recent presentation seems like the best!

Yeah I know what you mean, I think they are trying the scare tactic so that you accept before knowing the others cos they know they pay less than everybody else. It is a pretty good tactic in fairness. Yeah I am going to go to the drinks get a better feel for the place because you would be committing to working there for a long time. But are we supposed to contact other firms and say "sorry mate but I have a deadline here.."

Has anyone got an offer from A&L yet??

Also - Maples pay circa £40k - definitely the highest one. One of my friends is starting this year and that is what they are on.

I haven't heard from A&L..i have heard that about maples that 40 was the highest. I wonder if those offers will still be in euros if we go back to the punt!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Yeah Atticus I felt that aswell on the phone. They were putting on the pressure already. I said I would go to the drinks thing anyway. I have a few mates in there so I will find out the scoop vis a vis salary but from memory I think it is sizeably lower than the top 5 but at the same time good training and international. Irish Girl it was the partner that I interviewed that rang me. Don't get me wrong I was grateful for the offer but I don't want to commit before I know the outcome about everything else. Good luck to everybody I know how **** this whole process is. Frys are making their decision 2moro, that is what the lads told me today.
    Yeah I know what you mean, I think they are trying the scare tactic so that you accept before knowing the others cos they know they pay less than everybody else. It is a pretty good tactic in fairness. Yeah I am going to go to the drinks get a better feel for the place because you would be committing to working there for a long time. But are we supposed to contact other firms and say "sorry mate but I have a deadline here.."

As far as I'm aware - a training "contract" is not a contract. i.e. you can accept and reject at a later date if you so wish (and so can the law firm if they decide they no longer require your services). You'll find that you get nothing to sign binding you to a particular firm until the deeds of indenture get applied for. And even then I'm not entirely clear on whether you can just walk away/they can cast you off etc - I just never really looked into it.

So, it is entirely feasible (if you have multiple offers, or are waiting for results from other interviews) to accept the initial one and switch if something better comes up.

Of course, this may be burning bridges, but just as the law firm is looking out for their corporate best interest, a potential trainee should be looking out for their professional best interest too. Just weigh it up in your mind - and a law firm from my experience is quite understanding if you choose to switch, after all, supply far outstrips demand right now so they won't have a problem finding someone else.

Advertisement