Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 marblemoon

I have one that I saw about ten years ago and occasionally comes back into my head just to annoy me. It's a romcom about a middle aged prince (or king) who has an American woman working as a nanny for his kids. The prince was played by a famous actor, Daniel Day Lewis is stuck in my head but I dunno why.
    Anyway, I only remember two bits of the film. There was one where the prince mistakes the nanny for his masseuse (who I think was called Reno or Remy or something) while getting a massage, and talks about his feelings for the nanny. Then at the end there's something about the nanny's mother feeding her chickens chicken.
    Pleaase help!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

marblemoon wrote: »
    I have one that I saw about ten years ago and occasionally comes back into my head just to annoy me. It's a romcom about a middle aged prince (or king) who has an American woman working as a nanny for his kids. The prince was played by a famous actor, Daniel Day Lewis is stuck in my head but I dunno why.
    Anyway, I only remember two bits of the film. There was one where the prince mistakes the nanny for his masseuse (who I think was called Reno or Remy or something) while getting a massage, and talks about his feelings for the nanny. Then at the end there's something about the nanny's mother feeding her chickens chicken.
    Pleaase help!

The Beautician and the Beast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 marblemoon

That's it, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭crow_eat_crow

Apologies in advance for the vagueness of the clues. This was a Western from the Sixties, I think. My main memory of it was that one of the characters had a peculiar weapon: he used drop a ball-bearing (or stone?) into a hole in the top of his shoe/boot, just above his toes. He would then whirl around and launch the projectile silently and accurately by kicking his foot, a little bit like a sling. (It may be that he would have a hole in the top of each shoe and have two ball-bearings that he used clack together quietly just before use, but I'm not sure about this.) I know this is a long shot, but maybe it rings a bell with somebody.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Blue850

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭crow_eat_crow

Nice one Blue. You're a beaut!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

Can anyone identify a British film I saw once, maybe 30 years ago (and the film may date to the 1960's or even the 1950's)? The question is just to gratify idle curiosity,

B/W
    Possibly a short.

It was set in a rough post-war school, possibly in a slum area, with a new idealistic teacher. One notable scene was where one pupil refuses to take off his coat in the classroom, and when he is forced to, it turns out he has no trousers, because his only pair is being cleaned. There is a sentimental scene later where the teacher provides a new pair for the pupil.

And if such a film really did exist, was it any good?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭EraseAndRewind

apologies on the scarce details !

british film either made/set 70's/80's

2 girls mid teens start a relationship with an older married man one had blonde hair and the other dark

thats all i remember at the mo im afraid

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

apologies on the scarce details !

british film either made/set 70's/80's

2 girls mid teens start a relationship with an older married man one had blonde hair and the other dark

thats all i remember at the mo im afraid

Rite, Sue and Bob too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭EraseAndRewind

jaysus that was fast ! your a star ! now off to track down a copy;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 t00054583

Hi all.

Can you help me with this film Im trying to find as a christmas present. Its a film myself and my sister used to watch when we were young. Probably late 80's early 90's. It was a mining film with a mining pony. The pony stayed in stables in the mines and all I remember is at the end they were blowing up the mines and the pony having finished something returned to the the stables in the mine and as far as I remember was killed in the explosion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Jesus no but it sounds depressing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭brian_t

t00054583 wrote: »
    Hi all.

Can you help me with this film Im trying to find as a christmas present. Its a film myself and my sister used to watch when we were young. Probably late 80's early 90's. It was a mining film with a mining pony. The pony stayed in stables in the mines and all I remember is at the end they were blowing up the mines and the pony having finished something returned to the the stables in the mine and as far as I remember was killed in the explosion.

Thanks

How about "Escape from the Dark" also known as "The Littlest Horse Thieves" from 1976.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076320/

http://www.stojo.com/LittlestHorse.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I have a particular scene from a movie and I cant remember what film its from, I'm not sure if its one of the Jack Ryan ones or Charlie Wilsons war, I think it might be set during the cold war but not 100%.

Its very very vague.

Basically it involves somebody taking on a new job in power and the person given him the job tells him that Stalin or Hitler once said that you can only blame the previous guy once?

Its driving insane trying to remember what film its from, anybody help me.

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

t00054583 wrote: »
    Hi all.

Thanks

Pit Pony?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0125458/

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jjspine

Ok apologies as i only remember one scene in this movie and i know its not an old movie but has been doing my head in for a while !!!

The scene is 2 fighter jets in the air trying to outrun ( i think ) a heatseeker missile. as far as i remember it was an opening or very early scene in the movie.

ben affleck comes to mind but have looked at imdb and dont think its anything he has done.

cheers all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Behind Enemy Lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jjspine

Behind Enemy Lines?

Epic

Cheers mate Think thats the one alright where i got ben affleck from i dunno !!!

bullvine wrote: »
    I have a particular scene from a movie and I cant remember what film its from, I'm not sure if its one of the Jack Ryan ones or Charlie Wilsons war, I think it might be set during the cold war but not 100%.

Its very very vague.

Basically it involves somebody taking on a new job in power and the person given him the job tells him that Stalin or Hitler once said that you can only blame the previous guy once?

Its driving insane trying to remember what film its from, anybody help me.

Cheers,

Sounds like the scene in Traffic where Douglas takes over from Brolin and Brolin's character tells him the story of the two envelopes. How the out going head wrote two letters to be opened when there was trouble. The first has a piece of paper with blame the last guy, the second reads write two letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

action/ thriller,
    There was Trailer (It was long Trailer too) I saw a few months ago, There is Boss who tells his assistant to get his daughter (She in her 30's i think) back, who went to Paris (I think),

Another scene that the Assistant is talking to a bodyguard who is wearing Red/pink vest top, His really huge and Huge Muscles and start to punch the Assistant 3 time in his stomach but the Assistant then Kicks him in shin knocking over

The next scene in trailer some kinda of Gun battle and car chase scene.

Dose anyone know this movie good be?
    Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

I saw this movie in 1997 on a rented video tape. It was proably made some time in the mid-1990s.
    There was this woman (I think she had blond hair). There is a scene where she is having it off (doggy style).
    Later there is a guy (I think he was getting suspicious of a murder or some other crime?) that gets raped in a swimming pool/jacuzzi by the prime suspect.
    Sorry about the crude description but I cannot remember more of it.
    Does anyone know the title? Thanks in advance.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

nevermind this

posted a description of a movie, said I watched it around the same time as martyrs so I think it was made around the same time

turns out it actually was martyrs

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

nevermind this

posted a description of a movie, said I watched it around the same time as martyrs so I think it was made around the same time

ha your description just reminded me of poison ivy which i just got the urge to watch now:) thanks:)

LOL, i thought it sounded similar alright. I was googling trying to find wha it could be and I was like "Why the hell does martyrs keep coming up?!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Mickeroo wrote: »
    LOL, i thought it sounded similar alright. I was googling trying to find wha it could be and I was like "Why the hell does martyrs keep coming up?!"

lol, exact same as me
    then I actually read the plot of martyrs to refresh myself, sighed internally and rushed back here to edit my post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭dinneenp

dinneenp wrote: »
    Recent English film (past 5 years I think)
    about a small gang family
    the son gets engaged to a girl
    they end up killing his parents (I think)
    one guy thinks he's going on a hit but gets hit
    another scene he pushes someone's mum (the mum of a guy he just killed) in front of a bus....

cheers in advance,
    Pa

Got it! Down Terrace
    Down Terrace, worth watching, 'normal' gang family film

dinneenp wrote: »
    Got it! Down Terrace
    Down Terrace, worth watching, 'normal' gang family film

I presume you are aware that your movie was identified by gibraltar the day after your original post ?
    gibraltar wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭dinneenp

brian_t wrote: »
    I presume you are aware that your movie was identified by gibraltar the day after your original post ?

No, never saw that :(

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

I saw this a few years ago. I'm not sure of the year, perhaps 1990s/2000s.
    A guy (may have been English - I think he was on the run after robbing a bank but am not certain) is in Brazil where he meets a model.
    Does anyone know the title? Ta in advance.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

Worztron wrote: »
    I saw this a few years ago. I'm not sure of the year, perhaps 1990s/2000s.
    A guy (may have been English - I think he was on the run after robbing a bank but am not certain) is in Brazil where he meets a model.
    Does anyone know the title? Ta in advance.

"Girl from Rio" comes to mind starring Hugh Laurie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chica_de_R%C3%ADo

Advertisement