Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

This is a movie that my uncle had on vhs.I seen it when I was a kid and it stuck in my head.

It is a black and white film set pre WW1. Its about this english guy,that discovers the german plans. No one will believe him, and the germans try to kill him.He ends up hiding out in the moors in a bunker that he builds .

Any ideas?.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

This is a movie that my uncle had on vhs.I seen it when I was a kid and it stuck in my head.

It is a black and white film set pre WW1. Its about this english guy,that discovers the german plans. No one will believe him, and the germans try to kill him.He ends up hiding out in the moors in a bunker that he builds .

Any ideas?.
    It might be The 39 Steps (there's a 1935 b&w version and a 1978 colour version) or maybe The Riddle of the Sands (it's in colour though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I'm back to pick peoples brains again!
    I saw his film in the cinema maybe 4 or 5 years ago I think, I mentioned it to someone but can't remember the name!
    It started with this couple heading off with their young son for a holiday in the car. Thye were listening to lovely classical music but then it switched to really heavy metal stuff. Anyway they arrived and passed by the neighbours house, who they knew, there was 2 young guys who they didn't recognise, in cricket or tennis clothes, something like that. They went inside their own house and 1 of the young guys they'd seen with the neighbour calls over looking for eggs but keeps droppin them. Then it gets a bit weird. Anyone know what it is??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Its called Funny Games - the original is a Danish movie, remade (pretty much shot by shot) in America starring Naomi Watts and Tim Roth. Nasty little movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Its called Funny Games - the original is a Danish movie, remade (pretty much shot by shot) in America starring Naomi Watts and Tim Roth. Nasty little movie.
    thats the one, thank you! It is very nasty, think thats why it stuck in my head so much, but names always escape me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

Any ideas?.

Could it be Man Hunt (1941). This would be pre WW2 though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_Hunt_(1941_film)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Worztron

I recall seeing this movie a few years ago. I don't remember the year of the movie, perhaps 1990s. A mother looks for justice after her son dies at a fraternity house after they lock him in a car booth. I think the idiotic behavior was called 'passing out'.
    Does anyone know the title? Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Worztron wrote: »
    I recall seeing this movie a few years ago. I don't remember the year of the movie, perhaps 1990s. A mother looks for justice after her son dies at a fraternity house after they lock him in a car booth. I think the idiotic behavior was called 'passing out'.
    Does anyone know the title? Thanks.

Moment of Truth: Broken Pledges

Mickeroo wrote: »

Thats the one! 'Hazing' was the word I was looking for. Thanks Mickeroo.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭lynp27

looking for a film that has a autistic boy in it he solves a goverment code that was in a mgazine, then they try to kill him. i think bruce willis was in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,802 ✭✭✭✭Basq

lynp27 wrote: »
    looking for a film that has a autistic boy in it he solves a goverment code that was in a mgazine, then they try to kill him. i think bruce willis was in it
    Mercury Rising..

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭lynp27

Basq wrote: »
    cheers it was wrecking my head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

lynp27 wrote: »

Mercury Rising

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I have a very sketchy one for you.. there's a movie I saw years and years ago.. can remember very little, the main character is either Woody Allen or someone very like him. I only remember one scene from the movie I think he was in a restaurant and he was playing the piano to the crowd.. He was also seemed to be very socially awkward, talks to himself etc.

Not holding out much hope but would love to know what it was.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dave147 wrote: »
    I have a very sketchy one for you.. there's a movie I saw years and years ago.. can remember very little, the main character is either Woody Allen or someone very like him. I only remember one scene from the movie I think he was in a restaurant and he was playing the piano to the crowd.. He was also seemed to be very socially awkward, talks to himself etc.

Long shot but would it be Shine with Geoffrey Rush? I seem to recall a scene where he plays in a restaurant.

EDIT: here it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i'm looking for the name of a tv series from i think the 80's. It was about students at Law School in some university in America. I can see the faces of the two lead actors but cannot place them in something else.

But I do remember one key scene, in the first episode, a student forgets to read an assignment and when asked a question by the professor, he does not know it and the professor ignores him from then on. He then comes into class the next day wearing a white blanket over his head and the professor then asks him a question to which he does not answer until the professor walks up and takes the blanket off.

Thanks.

johndoe99 wrote: »
    i'm looking for the name of a tv series from i think the 80's. It was about students at Law School in some university in America. I can see the faces of the two lead actors but cannot place them in something else.

But I do remember one key scene, in the first episode, a student forgets to read an assignment and when asked a question by the professor, he does not know it and the professor ignores him from then on. He then comes into class the next day wearing a white blanket over his head and the professor then asks him a question to which he does not answer until the professor walks up and takes the blanket off.

Thanks.

The Paper Chase??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Dave147 wrote: »

Shine. Geoffrey Rush won an Oscar for playing the lead character.

Edit-damn you mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Long shot but would it be Shine with Geoffrey Rush? I seem to recall a scene where he plays in a restaurant.

EDIT: here it is

Shine. Geoffrey Rush won an Oscar for playing the lead character.

Edit-damn you mickeroo

Bang on lads, thanks a million. I remember really enjoying that scene but it was at least 10-12 years since I saw it. Amazed at this thread, I never thought I would ever discover this movie again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

saw the start of this movie years ago but i cant remember the name:

A lad goes up to some black man, ties him to a pole and covers him in petrol and burns him.
    then he goes back to his car turns up the volume of his radio and watches the black lad burn to death.
    Thats about all i can remember.

• Advertisement

Two female students were living in a flat. They were constantly arguing. They often went to a local Chinese or chipper?
    At end of college year the takeaway was closing down and they would also miss the flat and each other despite everything.
    I reckon the movie was made in England.
    Can someone tell me the title? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

Two female students were living in a flat. They were constantly arguing. They often went to a local Chinese or chipper?
    At end of college year the takeaway was closing down and they would also miss the flat and each other despite everything.
    I reckon the movie was made in England.
    Can someone tell me the title? Thanks.

Career Girls (1997) perhaps.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118818/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Career_Girls

brian_t wrote: »

Yep, thats the one.

So it was a Chinese takeaway. ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IXxmXTOH98

I remember this horror movie from many years ago. It was more than likely made in the 1980s. A group of people were in an enclosed chamber (it looked like a catacomb burial chambers). There were these flying things (orb like?) chasing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Recent English film (past 5 years I think)
    about a small gang family
    the son gets engaged to a girl
    they end up killing his parents (I think)
    one guy thinks he's going on a hit but gets hit
    another scene he pushes someone's mum (the mum of a guy he just killed) in front of a bus....

cheers in advance,
    Pa

This was a horror movie (most likely from the 1980s). There was a scene where a topless woman's head changed to that of a nun's head.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭gibraltar

I remember this horror movie from many years ago. It was more than likely made in the 1980s. A group of people were in an enclosed chamber (it looked like a catacomb burial chambers). There were these flying things (orb like?) chasing them.

Sounds like one of the phantasm movies

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭gibraltar

dinneenp wrote: »
    Recent English film (past 5 years I think)
    about a small gang family
    the son gets engaged to a girl
    they end up killing his parents (I think)
    one guy thinks he's going on a hit but gets hit
    another scene he pushes someone's mum (the mum of a guy he just killed) in front of a bus....

cheers in advance,
    Pa

Down terrace?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1489167/

gibraltar wrote: »
    Sounds like one of the phantasm movies

You got it! Thanks.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2lxFUS4QDbs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

I'm looking for a film title where two friends (boys) grow apart in highschool when one gets in with the "it" crowd. The other friend is bullied by other people and ignored for years by his old friend, he ends up killing himself in the highschool bathroom which leads his old friend on a path of redemption and religion. The movie was made sometime in the 2000's. Thanks

Advertisement