Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

robindch wrote: »
    I'd have thought so, but apparently not.

There was a case in Donegal a few years back where some local homeopath told a (German?) women to stop taking her meds, so the latter's tumor grew and eventually killed her.

At the subsequent inquest, the county coroner rued that all he could do was issue the homeopath with a fifteen euro fine for failing to show up. It was the second time the homeopath had received such a fine...

I despise homeopaths :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Galvasean wrote: »
    I despise homeopaths :mad:
    Homeophobe! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

seamus wrote: »
    I guess the defence is that it was up to the deceased as to whether they should heed the advice given by the pastor.

In america people have won absolutely crazy cases were the injured party was responsible for the outcome, yet the provider of a service was at fault. McDonalds were sued for a coffee being hot and not having a huge sign on the coffee saying so, Manhatten were sued for a packet of nuts, containing nuts without actually warning the customer.

I'm sure you can fight some sort of legal angle to put the blame on the person/party offering a service or product (In this case the homeopath). Unless they walked around with a sign on their neck, or got the "patient" to sign a waver, i'd take them to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dmw07 wrote: »
    In america people have won absolutely crazy cases were the injured party was responsible for the outcome, yet the provider of a service was at fault. McDonalds were sued for a coffee being hot and not having a huge sign on the coffee saying so, Manhatten were sued for a packet of nuts, containing nuts without actually warning the customer.
    To be fair, the MacDonald's one is oft-quoted as being a woman driving with coffee between her legs and burning herself, but that's not actually true.
    The result of the case was that they found MacDonalds were serving coffee at an unnecessarily dangerous temperature (85C). MacDonalds admitted to doing this as a matter of course with drive-thru stuff so it would remain hot. The woman's contention wasn't that it wasn't her fault for spilling the coffee, but that if MacDonalds had served the coffee at a normal temperature (60C), she wouldn't have suffered serious burns to her legs, requiring medical attention. She also wasn't driving at the time, though she was holding the cup between her legs while the car was stationery.

Don't know about the peanuts one, can't find any info.

Point being that these cases generally require someone to have failed in a duty of care somewhere along the line. So it would need to be shown that the pastor has some duty of care towards the deceased. And unless they have actually taken on the role of a carer, then that's hard to prove.

I can't find any links at hand for the peanut story, it's about 4-5 years ago. I might look again later if i get a chance.

"failed in a duty of care". That was the point i am alluding to though. Did the homeopath make it crystal clear to the person that they were not a medical doctor and that there was no/little evidence of this treatment working, or is there a case that could be tried under failed to notify/inform the customer fully.

There could be an angle of misleading/false information, deception, false pretences. I don't know, there has to be something! :confused:

Legal minds needed, anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

What a charming story with a delightful fairy tale ending in Iraq.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056440453

Perhaps you shouldn't read it on an empty stomach. Or a full one either. I feel incredibly proud to be a human in this moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ And that's why I'm not a Humanist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Dades wrote: »
    ^^ And that's why I'm not a Humanist.
    He has been corrupted by religion. He must have live a very closed life, compounded by the religious zealots that surround him.
    I'm not trying to excuse him, far from it. But there is always a reason for everything; in this case, ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

Evangelical indoctrination is given an unflinching, even-handed look in this utterly worthwhile documentary.

What a charming story with a delightful fairy tale ending in Iraq.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056440453

Perhaps you shouldn't read it on an empty stomach. Or a full one either. I feel incredibly proud to be a human in this moment.

Another concerning aspect of that thread is the amount of people unwilling to even attempt to read the article, but would rather sit there and demand a very short summary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Galvasean wrote: »
    Another concerning aspect of that thread is the amount of people unwilling to even attempt to read the article, but would rather sit there and demand a very short summary.

Made all the worse when you see that the first short paragraph of the article is a summary of the whole incident anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

This is purely a personal example. The internet always conveyed Chuck Norris as this really awesomely cool guy. Seriously, after actually bothering to look into this guy, he's a pure nutter. Creationist, Anti-vaxxer you name it and you can probably assign it to chuck norris. Me thinks his internet status as the "cool guy" needs to be removed fast! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Malty_T wrote: »
    This is purely a personal example. The internet always conveyed Chuck Norris as this really awesomely cool guy. Seriously, after actually bothering to look into this guy, he's a pure nutter. Creationist, Anti-vaxxer you name it and you can probably assign it to chuck norris. Me thinks his internet status as the "cool guy" needs to be removed fast! :(

On it:

peter-cushing.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 51,753 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Gays created by the Devil says US Catholic Church Policy Advisor.
    This week The Boston Pilot, the nations oldest Catholic newspaper, published a column by a senior official suggesting the devil probably makes people gay.

In the column Daniel Avila, who is a Massachussetts attorney and (take a breath here) Policy Advisor for Marriage and Family of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops' Subcommittee for the Promotion and Defense of Marriage, bluntly says that 'the scientific evidence of how same-sex attraction most likely may be created provides a credible basis for a spiritual explanation that indicts the devil.'

So if you're gay the phrase the devil made you do it has a whole new meaning this week. We are all made in God's image (except for the gays, obviously).

Elucidating, Avila described homosexuality as a 'natural disaster' caused by Satan invading the wombs of mothers of LGBT children.

It happens all the time apparently.

In case you missed his point, or the implications, Avila spells it out for you: '…whenever natural causes disturb otherwise typical biological development, leading to the personally unchosen beginnings of same-sex attraction, the ultimate responsibility, on a theological level, is and should be imputed to the evil one, not God.'

God would never make anyone gay because if He did then the persecution of gay people (whom God created gay, after all) would be a sin. We simply can't have that. So gay people are the devil's work and you are free to oppress them in any and every way you can.

But telling a mother that the Devil entered her womb and made her child gay is new, even by Catholic standards. Until now we've just had to endure the idiotic sophistry that asked us to love the sinner but hate the sin (that pretzel theology that seeks to oppress whilst appearing compassionate).

But this week Avila, who calls himself 'the bishops' marriage guy,' has shown us the true face of the USCCB, who have refused to condemn his words. This is the man Americas Catholic bishops look to for advice about the LGBT community. He sounds deranged.

Avila's article caused a firestorm and it was eventually pulled with an apology from its publisher, The Boston Pilot. But you have to acknowledge that same source published it without objection in the first place.

Sometimes the mask slips and you get to see what those in positions of real authority actually think about gay people. This week that happened and the silence is deafening.

Source

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

koth wrote: »
    That makes no sense. If this God person is omnipotent and omnicognicent why would he let Lucifer do something that would lead to some of His beloved creations being reviled and tortured? And if Lucifer somehow did manage to sneak gayness into babies doesn't that mean that they're entitled to the kindness and understanding that is deserved by all people so afflicted by The Evil One, and we should be extra understanding and nice to them because the poor dears can't help it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

What's the name of that site which documents these kind of people who eventually turn out to be gay themselves?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Sometimes the mask slips and you get to see what those in positions of real authority actually think about gay people. This week that happened and the silence is deafening.
    Not quite so deafening. Turns out that Mr Avila was in a state of theological error and has been forced into issuing the following unpology:

http://www.pilotcatholicnews.com/article.asp?ID=13929
    Mr Avila wrote:
    Statements made in my column, 'Some fundamental questions on same-sex attraction' of October 28, do not represent the position of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and the column was not authorized for publication as is required policy for staff of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. The teaching of Sacred Scripture and of the Catechism of the Catholic Church make it clear that all persons are created in the image and likeness of God and have inviolable dignity. Likewise, the Church proclaims the sanctity of marriage as the permanent, faithful, fruitful union of one man and one woman. The Church opposes, as I do too, all unjust discrimination and the violence against persons that unjust discrimination inspires. I deeply apologize for the hurt and confusion that this column has caused."
    Note how he doesn't apologize for writing the article?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

An Iranian soccer player more physical with a teammate than the religious police liked, so the two of them were suspended indefinitely from the game and may face a lashing and/or imprisonment:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/maryamnamazie/2011/11/11/100-lashes-for-buttock-squeeze-or-or-for-dying-laughing/

Now, go wash your eyes out with holy water!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,455 ✭✭✭✭Penn

An Iranian soccer player more physical with a teammate than the religious police liked, so the two of them were suspended indefinitely from the game and may face a lashing and/or imprisonment:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/maryamnamazie/2011/11/11/100-lashes-for-buttock-squeeze-or-or-for-dying-laughing/

Let's hope they don't find out about how he returned the favour in the showers afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

American Bishop above:
    The Church opposes, as I do too, all unjust discrimination

Nice qualifier. Now to assign my bigotry to a higher power and then have him impose said bigotry on me so that it may be just.

• Advertisement

Wow, number 13 was not getting into the spirit of things at all was he?

In England they give you a yellow card for 'inappropriate' celebrations. This includes (but is not limited to) the removal of the shirt, interfering with the corner flag and jumping into the crowd.
    In Iran they physically beat you? What does FIFA have to say about this?

Did anyone else watch the Intelligence2 tribute to Hitchens the other day? To paraphrase Stephen Fry:
    "There have been some 426 species of animal where homosexuality has been noted, but only one that displays homophobia."

Interesting in context of where this thread currently is.

Not sure where to post this.

Saint Padre Pio's stigmata 'exposed' by new book
    Pio, a former monk who died in 1981 aged 81, wore gloves because his hands bled constantly for 50 years in what were revered as stigmata wounds.

He became Italy's most loved saint after he was canonised by Pope John Paul II in 2002.

But a new book has heaped more scorn on the claims that his wounds were duplicates of those suffered by Jesus during the crucifixion.

Italian historian Professor Sergio Luzzatto has discovered documents including a letter from a pharmacist who arranged carbolic acid for Pio.

Professor Luzzatto suggests in Padre Pio: Miracle and Politics in a Secular Age that it was the corrosive acid that caused the bleeding on the saint's hands.

He also said many Popes had expressed doubts and suggested the Vatican only canonised Pio – real name Francesco Forgione – because of public pressure.

"Human beings – and particularly the most fragile among them – will still need to look at figures such as Padre Pio to get, if not miracles, then at least consolation and hope," Professor Luzzatto said, according the the Sun.

Professor Luzzatto previously referred to the documents, found in the Vatican's archive, in The Other Christ: Padre Pio and 19th Century Italy.

His claims were dismissed by the Catholic Anti-Defamation League in 2007.

Pietro Siffi, the president of the League, said at the time: "We would like to remind Mr Luzzatto that according to Catholic doctrine, canonisation carries with it papal infallibility.

"We would like to suggest to Mr Luzzatto that he dedicates his energies to studying religion properly."

Source

Currently listening to a woman on 2FM giving out about science providing evidence that makes it difficult for people to continue believing what they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Not sure where to post this.

Currently listening to a woman on 2FM giving out about science providing evidence that makes it difficult for people to continue believing what they do.

pfft. you can use "evidence" to prove anything :rolleyes:

Pietro Siffi, the president of the League, said at the time: "We would like to remind Mr Luzzatto that according to Catholic doctrine, canonisation carries with it papal infallibility.
    "We would like to suggest to Mr Luzzatto that he dedicates his energies to studying religion properly."

The old, it's true because we said it's true act, a la the bible. It's amazing that this trick worked for so many years, and still does.

dmw07 wrote: »

The old, it's true because we said it's true act, a la the bible. It's amazing that this trick worked for so many years, and still does.

The bolded bit is literally the dumbest thing i have ever read in my entire life.

pfft. you can use "evidence" to prove anything :rolleyes:

but the weird part was she wasn't disputing the evidence, she was annoyed she was made aware of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Some folk would rather continue with the lie. It's all some of them have ever done, why stop now when it turns out to be rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

You would have to wonder if the Vatican actually believe what they spout or if they are more interested in control of the flock. To me the look as corrupt as any other government, but more arrogant than most.

• Advertisement

rossc007 wrote: »
    You would have to wonder if the Vatican actually believe what they spout or if they are more interested in control of the flock. To me the look as corrupt as any other government, but more arrogant than most.

The Vatican: Trolling humanity since 325 AD

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement