Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Nice one Andrew 'Greek Mother' 76 for a top night. Great to meet a few faces. Delighted to see a Vectrex in the flesh, I think I'm won over and want one!

Couldn't believe I got a shot at Akai Katana and got soundly beat at Street Fighter too!

Though for me the highlight had to be seeing a proper Cave PCB (how small are they!) and playing my new favourite shooting game... Ibara! Nice one ondafly!

Think a few can agree, that game is utterly mesmerising. Beautiful stuff and expertly piloted by Johnny Ultimate, you're a natural!

Sera, get those geek craft goodies made up and thanks for the psychedelic cola. Raging I didn't get to try the Fukushima cake!

Forgot to mention all the other cool stuff I saw. The Nomads, NES carts and Pier Solar and more. So much cool stuff but........IBARA! OMG! I AM IN LOVE! My PS2 copy is going to be hammered tomorrow!

Cheers again all, I had a blast. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Just home now. Not sure if I'll be able to sleep after Gregory Horror Show.

Whenever I close my eyes all I see is Catherine and her big syringe coming after me!

DinoRex wrote: »
    Just home now. Not sure if I'll be able to sleep after Gregory Horror Show.

Whenever I close my eyes all I see is Catherine and her big syringe coming after me!

Was it you who was playing that game about a boy who 'likes girls' and 'playmates' on the NES? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Feck!
    Completely forgot about the Beers!
    Arse!
    And I wanted to show off my inadequate Dark Souls skills!
    Might throw an Xmas Beers in mine, will have to consult with the venue management first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Aha Gregory Horror Show - proof that square headed weird animal things make for far more terrifying survival horror material than zombies, dinosaurs or any of the other tropes of the genre.

Cheers again to Andrew for the eve, twas a blast :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I learned so much accurate history about dinosaurs

Thanks lads and lady, your a great bunch of lads

As promised last night, here is my PS2 copy of Ibara running in tate today. :)

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Was it you who was playing that game about a boy who 'likes girls' and 'playmates' on the NES? :)

Yes. Little Nemo. He would drug animals with 'candy' and the slip inside their bodies!

Also it's the Studio Ghibli film that never was:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thanks a million for being a great host andrew76. Sera says thanks as well. I'm still dropping hints to sera to get me an arcade cab, don't think it's working.

Oh yeah, fuck Toki.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hints?

First thing I hear retr0 say when he walks into the room.

"Hey Sera. You know an arcade cab would make a really nice Christmas / Birthday present"

:P

• Advertisement

He already used up his christmas and birthday presents on that lemon tree and he hardly ever plays with it.

@Retr0gamer: I can give you one handy tip for getting a cab. Bribe them with shoes and bags!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My Missus has both shoes and bags and so far I have no cab!
    Sad but true!
    At least I can call next door in the new year and play with kerbdogs Naomi. :)

I am making slow progress, but progress never the less, in Dark Souls.

Oh, and I see "sources" have Zelda already, the dirty pirates!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Only back in myself. Had a great time, thanks Andrew76! Great seeing so many people interested in shmups in one place like that. Can't say I've ever seen anything like it before.

/Off to ebay to look for an Ibara PCB.

I'm still having trouble with the whole lava = bad concept....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Oh, and I see "sources" have Zelda already, the dirty pirates!

I have it preordered (And fully paid for)

So its a Backup:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Thanks a million for being a great host andrew76. I'm still dropping hints to get me an arcade cab
    Pyongyang wrote: »
    @Retr0gamer: I can give you one handy tip for getting a cab. Bribe them with shoes and bags!
    Thanks so much Andrew for having us over and for heating up my lemonade for me (_ _*) and sorry to keeping you up late.
    It won't work, the only cab I'm getting is my own :pac:
    Sera, get those geek craft goodies made up. Raging I didn't get to try the Fukushima cake!
    I'm only home today so hopefully I get my craft on soon enough, usually post stuff I make anyway. I had some when I was there and took some home with me for the train onomnomnomnom, thanks Dinorex

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finished Rule of Rose. What a ****ed up game. Well worth suffering through the crap combat for the story though.

Edge Magazine:

'It's just a murky brew of meaningless, exploitative dysfunction filling an empty game, and it leaves a bitter taste.'

Translation: I was too stupid to understand what happened in the game and didn't bother finishing it and the Daily Mail said it was evil so here's some new words I discovered from my thesaurus.

Oh look at the time!

This means I've been playing Skyrim too much... it's one of those games where you completely lose track of time.

Also this:

48l3b.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Sera wrote: »
    Thanks so much Andrew for having us over and for heating up my lemonade for me (_ _*) and sorry to keeping you up late.
    It won't work, the only cab I'm getting is my own :pac:

You're very welcome and yikes that's some hassle you'd have with college. :(

Thanks to all who took the trip down and for the goodies you brought. Big thanks to Jack for the tastey burgers, fair play man. Thanks ondafly for gracing our presence with Ibara ("EE BARA!!"), what a stunning looking game (once I rememberd the RGB pots on the back of the supergun :o). I get the feeling pyong really wasn't satisfied with his brief sniff of the board. :pac:
    Also lol @ Retr0 and Toki, you got there in the end dude. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Jack burton

So what valuable experiences did retr0 learn?

It teaches you to accurately spit on people...

If at first you don't succeed then play the NES version because it lets you continue in the final stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm tempted to purchase one myself:

Zelda-3DS-anniversary-bundle.jpg
    http://www.gamersireland.ie/?p=11533

Drool :cool:

But by your own admission the DS had a disaster of a first year. Granted it overcame it, but beating the sales figures of a poor selling console on a first year basis means nothing really. There's more invested in the 3DS, and it was expected to sell a lot better, regardless of DS sales figues.

Regardless, there's hope on the horizon with some top quality games on the way

PS2, 360, PS3, NES, Megadrive, etc. all had a disaster of a first year. Console gets released in videogames quiet times and sales pick up in Christmas or when the software gets better. It's not like it's never happened before and the 3DS is set up to do quite well this christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Super Mario 3D land better be good or else I'm giving up on the 3DS and flinging it out of a window.

• Advertisement

PS2, 360, PS3, NES, Megadrive, etc. all had a disaster of a first year. Console gets released in videogames quiet times and sales pick up in Christmas or when the software gets better. It's not like it's never happened before and the 3DS is set up to do quite well this christmas.

So it's still selling poorly then?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement