Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Talk about progress. Had to wrestle with my PS3 just to get the thing to work on PSN and now I'm looking at a download bar. 20 minutes to download an 11MB update for Dark Souls. I'd be quicker hoping into my car, driving to the server, writing down all the 1's and 0's and feeding them into the PS3. All Iwant to do is play a fecking game!

Jesus man, what speed is your connection?

I remember the aul dial up days. The Action Half Life mod which was circa 30MB took a beefy six hours to procure. Was so worth it though, akimbo nine millies :cool:

This is the main reason I'm too scared to turn on the PS3. Always forcing me to update :mad: It gets through the system update then has to go through the game update!

I blame all those modders :rolleyes:

Sony really made an arse of the system didn't they. The 360 one, while not perfect, is a far better experience when you want to justpick up & play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

EnterNow wrote: »
    Jesus man, what speed is your connection?

I remember the aul dial up days. The Action Half Life mod which was circa 30MB took a beefy six hours to procure. Was so worth it though, akimbo nine millies :cool:

And a massive phone bill I'd imagine! I was lucky enough to never experience dial up (except maybe in 2007 at a friends house :eek:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's nothing to do with the connection, it's PSN. XBL downloads at full speed. Getting anything from the PSN servers takes forever. It's why I got Infamous for free in May but it's only 2% downloaded so far!

I remember downloading CS on my dial up. 80 MB took about 6 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Talk about progress. Had to wrestle with my PS3 just to get the thing to work on PSN and now I'm looking at a download bar. 20 minutes to download an 11MB update for Dark Souls. I'd be quicker hoping into my car, driving to the server, writing down all the 1's and 0's and feeding them into the PS3. All Iwant to do is play a fecking game!

The other day I downloaded the 15GB DC Universe game... that took a while.

It's a bit rubbish as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

EnterNow wrote: »
    I blame all those modders :rolleyes:

Sony really made an arse of the system didn't they. The 360 one, while not perfect, is a far better experience when you want to justpick up & play.

Plus any updates take max 5 seconds to complete! It's nice to have free online gaming with the PS3 but I'd take XBL over PSN anytime.

And a massive phone bill I'd imagine! I was lucky enough to never experience dial up (except maybe in 2007 at a friends house :eek:)

Esatclear I was with when I first got online. I think they had a set price for unlimited off peak useage. Stoneage stuff when you think of it, it really wasn't that long ago tech wise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

That's not a proper update though, it's just the game already letting you know it's going to break your balls anyway it can even before you press start. Hell it might even brick your PS3 making it doubly difficult to play it. You saw what it did to Ciderman yes (link)? :pac:

It's nothing to do with the connection, it's PSN. XBL downloads at full speed. Getting anything from the PSN servers takes forever. It's why I got Infamous for free in May but it's only 2% downloaded so far!

Ah I see, well, it is Sony after all.

You must have had a super duper phone line, I think my dial up line hit 2Kb/s on a good day. Bit different to the 3MB/s I'm getting now...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

The ps3 is brutal for updating, there are always updates available and they take ages to downloaded compared to the 360. I spent nearly 3 hours trying to get DC universe going when i first got it. I ended up going to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

DinoRex wrote: »
    The other day I downloaded the 15GB DC Universe game... that took a while.

It's a bit rubbish as well.
    I had to let mine run overnight
    I actually kind of like it.
    (of course the fact that I'm a massive DC/Green Lantern nut probably does sway me slightly in that direction)

I was actually in Game yesterday and they guy in front of me was buying MW3 on the PS3. The girl behind the counter was saying that the codes in the game aren't working yet and that the online isn't working properly either :rolleyes:

I had to let mine run overnight
    I actually kind of like it.
    (of course the fact that I'm a massive DC/Green Lantern nut probably does sway me slightly in that direction)

I'll have to give it another go. But I'm a big fan of City of Heroes.

I liked how it remembered where it was if you turned it off and started downloading again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Total BS, not even had a game of Dark Souls yet. Got as far as the character creation screen but I keep getting signed out of PSN. Whipped out the 30 foot ethernet cable and it seemed to be working. Got to the intro cinematic and it crashed since the disc was having trouble being read. I hope to god I don't have the Blu ray of doom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

keithgeo wrote: »
    The ps3 is brutal for updating, there are always updates available and they take ages to downloaded compared to the 360. I spent nearly 3 hours trying to get DC universe going when i first got it. I ended up going to bed.

The PS3 game updating thing is a joke really.

I just don't use it online at all any more. I mean I've a really fast bband line and it takes an hour or two to grab a couple of gigs worth of updates, F*$& you Sony.

I nearly always get full speed from Xbox live, its just a pleasure to use compared to the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Anyone else get a facebook thingy off Irish Retro Gaming, looks like a new shop on the way

Also the updates tend to take away features instead of adding them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Anyone else get a facebook thingy off Irish Retro Gaming, looks like a new shop on the way

Arent they the guys who were spamming here a while back and looking for us all to like them on facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Feck sake, went up to my grandparents attic to try to find some stuff to take home. Guitar - easy find. Everything else? Holy **** no.

You think stuff wasn't packed as well as it should until you try to find a Sega Saturn among 15 or so boxes, all wrapped in plastic bags/tshirts.

I had to play a horrible game called 'what's that I feel through all this plastic and fabric?'

Luckily I identified the Saturn, (the cart slot at the back gave it away!) but no sign of the RGB cable :(

Ah well, one step closer to playing Radiant Silvergun. Also got my chiptune modded Gameboy. Time to make some tunez!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Andrew76 wrote: »
    That's not a proper update though, it's just the game already letting you know it's going to break your balls anyway it can even before you press start. Hell it might even brick your PS3 making it doubly difficult to play it. You saw what it did to Ciderman yes (link)? :pac:

Thanks for that....
    Just reopen old wounds....

The bricked PS3 sits here at my feet, a source of much misery :(

And as for Dark Souls, going to hang onto it I think, give it another blast, in a couple of years or so....

Oh, and bit the bullet and bought Mario 3D and Zelda:SS from Play this morning, looked at the cash situation and just said "feck it"!
    Santy picked up the boys present there too, Spyro: Skylanders, it's like Crack Cocaine for 8 year olds, apparently!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Skylanders, it's like Crack Cocaine for 8 year olds, apparently!

Whats next? The pimps will be using it to keep the whores under control. It'll be like, Boyz N' The Hood

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah PS3 updates, conclusive proof that there is no God, and if there is, It's a sadistic little ****.

Also, my 360 disc tray has decided to stop opening in anything more than horizontal position (*insert innuendo or in-your-endo here*). I hope whoever is in charge of Microsoft quality assurance sleeps well every night on his bed made of shoddy materials.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

He has to be careful in the mornings, when he wakes up, going from a horizontal to vertical position, or he gets circular scratches all around his h*le!
    Same problem when he goes to bed that night!

Brings a new meaning to red ring of death!

Why must you taint this forum with your innuendos!?! :P

Anyone have a copy of Gran Turismo 2 they'd be willing to part with? PM me if you have!

/cheeky

I'll have a look for GT2 in the collection, you never know!

Oh, and decided to keep Dark Souls!
    Finally conquered the Taurus Demon by repeatedly jumping down with a falling axe attack, thank the gods for that!

Now I just have to dispense with the great big Wyvern that is blocking the infernal bridge!

Cheers. I seem to have misplaced mine. The arcade mode disc was feiced too :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I've never had the problems with updating the PS3 everyone else seems to. Updates are generally speedy enough and If I don't have a lot of time or just want to get cracking I skip the update, play off line and do it later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Now I just have to dispense with the great big Wyvern that is blocking the infernal bridge!

The Dragon? Hint: don't be afraid to run away like a little girl ;)
    (although apparently if you hack of his tail at this point you're progress from here on in will be much easier)

Just to warn you that the next three or four hours are by a distance the hardest of the game. Take your time, persevere and don't let 'em get you down. Even when the most dastardly trick in the game - it involves a gate - will make you want to rage quit something fierce.

• Advertisement

Youtube is my friend, there is a healthy network of folk posting their own solutions to various battle scenarios, and I'm not going to use cheapy cheap ways of beating characters using glitches, as I see some are doing, although those glitches are actively being patched.
    It is, probably, one of the most magnificent games I have ever seen.
    Ico has a competitor for that crown at last!

And regarding the PS3, the worst had to be GT5 and the Gbs of stuff it made you download, periodically, in order to stay online with it. including after you took it out of the box on launch day! I had to wait the guts of an hour before I could play the game. Pity it wasn't worth the wait!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement