Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British poppy: should the Irish commemorate people who fought for the British Empire?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

And what about Irish people who serve alongside them in Kuwait, Kosovo, Afghanistan and Cyprus?

I do believe their "All" been used Mr. Fratton! I do understand full well that each conflict zone is different and peacekeepers are needed sometimes. But real peacekeepers please. Also the main nations that make up The U.N are also the biggest arms dealers, the whole thing is a sick joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

And what about Irish people who serve alongside them in Kuwait, Kosovo, Afghanistan and Cyprus?

irish troops are un peace keepers
    british troops are there to get what britian wants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Pete Digger

LordSutch wrote: »
    Can I ask you then how you feel about my comments/observations in post#431. I might also add (as I do evey year) that the Poppy appeal fund in the ROI is self contained, ergo it supporst ROI war veterans & their families only.

If the RoI Poppy Appeal supports only RoI war veterans, then that avoids at least one of the objections to it. However, there are still various issues around it that need teasing out.

The Poppy Appeal Ireland presumably works chronologically in lock-step with the main UK Poppy Appeal - that is, in the run up to, and including, Remembrance Sunday. Remembrance Sunday is a commemoration of all those who served in the service of the British Empire. Obviously, that includes many Irish people down through the years.

But it still doesn't address to me the fundamental disconnect. The money raised - this side of the water - may benefit solely Irish people, but the symbolism (and remembrance) is solely a glorification of fighting for another country's cause.

Nobody should be censured or abused for supporting a Poppy Appeal - in fact, in light of family history it may have very personal meaning - but it seems to me largely a hangover from colonial times.

My preference would still be for symbols and commemorations inclusive of all those Irish people who fought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

irish troops are un peace keepers
    british troops are there to get what britian wants

Rubbish

Rubbish

how so?

• Advertisement

how so?

There is no difference between the Irish Army and the British Army, except that the Irish Army are significantly smaller and less well equipped.

When they are sent to Afghanistan, or Kosovo, they are sent under the same mandate, with the same set of rules and the same objectives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

There is no difference between the Irish Army and the British Army, except that the Irish Army are significantly smaller and less well equipped.

When they are sent to Afghanistan, or Kosovo, they are sent under the same mandate, with the same set of rules and the same objectives.

They're not there on offensive actions. You can't compare the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

You also forgot to point out that Ireland has never invaded another country, we have Defence Forces, not invading forces.

There is no difference between the Irish Army and the British Army.

Really how many countries did ireland invade
    the irish army always wears the blue helmet when they go overseas
    unlike the british army

They're not there on offensive actions. You can't compare the two.

Neither are the British.

• Advertisement

Really how many countries did ireland invade
    the irish army always wears the blue helmet when they go overseas
    unlike the british army

The Irish would run around Afghanistan with blue caps on would they?

I doubt it very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭The Master of Disaster

No (I'm Irish)
    It's from WWI onwards, so not for me. Too many conflicts that includes the Black and Tans. Yet some west Brits ignore all that and hang off the coat tails of WWII.
    Morlar wrote: »
    Re-dressing that does not require a Red British Legion Poppy. Wearing that would also be in honour of the black and tans . . .

It may be a minor point but the Black and Tans were not part of the British Army, it was an auxiliary unit of the Royal Irish Constabulary. True it was made up of a significant amount of former or unemployed WW1 veterans but in their work for the Tans during 1920-21 they were not representing the armed forces, which is what the British Legion and the poppy support.

I have relatives who died during the 20th century while serving in the BA. I even have some acquaintances (from this country) who've been badly injured in Afghanistan. True it was their choice to join up and go out there but if money raised by the poppy goes to help them rebuild themselves physically and emotionally I think that's a damn sight more important than arguing over 20th century politics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

If people want to wear the poppies or lillies; fine. Who are we to dictate people's choice on who or how to commemorate?

I guess they could always have an Irish poppy; a shade of green to differentiate.

The Irish would run around Afghanistan with blue caps on would they?

I doubt it very much.

http://www.military.ie/overseas/current-missions/isaf

read it
    the sum total of Óglaigh ná hÉireann personal in Afghanistan is seven

I have relatives who died during the 20th century while serving in the BA. I even have some acquaintances (from this country) who've been badly injured in Afghanistan. True it was their choice to join up and go out there but if money raised by the poppy goes to help them rebuild themselves physically and emotionally I think that's a damn sight more important than arguing over 20th century politics.

They wouldn't have had to "rebuild themselves" if their country hadn't been invading foreign nations in the first place.

I think that's a damn sight more important than arguing over 20th century politics.

http://www.military.ie/overseas/current-missions/isaf

read it
    the sum total of Óglaigh ná hÉireann personal in Afghanistan is seven

So what, those seven rotate so there are a lot more than just seven who have been, and a lot more than seven that want to go.

They are there serving alongside the British army (amongst others). They are there under a UN mandate, voted for by Ireland. Other than a lack of political will, there is no reason why the Irish Army don't send a whole Battalion out there.

They wouldn't have had to "rebuild themselves" if their country hadn't been invading foreign nations in the first place.

I think that's a damn sight more important than arguing over 20th century politics.

So how many countries has Britain invaded over the last 50 years then?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Iceland was a close run thing:eek:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Iceland was a close run thing:eek:

You're not codding.

All the info you need is right here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_army

It never ceases to amaze me the hostile attitude that people have when the natives dare to fight back... but they have an open and warm reception for the aggressors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Why so coy all of a sudden Freddie, the poppys' remit extends way back past fifty years. Are there some events that you're a bit shy about? :confused:

Aden, Kenya, Cyprus, Suez, Malaya, all poppy fodder. Of course now that the british empire has had its chips, their army does'nt have that much scope for dirty little wars so they have to be happy with playing a supporting role in Uncle Sam's misadventures :pac:

No (I'm Irish)

Well to be honest I don't consider Afghanistan to be an invasion, at least not on par with the controversy surrounding Iraq. But again we're getting into international relations and legality of intervention which isn't the point I'm getting at.

Let me put it another way. In the US, for example, the idea/adage 'support the troops' is something you will see and hear often. But that does not necessarily equate to support for the war. The same person who may be out waving a flag at a welcome home parade for the neighbour's son may also be vehemently opposed to US foreign policy. In the same vein, the BL, and associated annual poppy appeal, exist to solely for the benefit of (ex-)servicemen/women as individuals. Although the politicians and likes of X-Factor have hijacked the symbol in shameless self-promotion does not mean that it has any great political significance.

In short you may well buy and respect the idea of the poppy even if you don't agree with the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

No (I'm British/not Irish)
    Bambi wrote: »
    Why so coy all of a sudden Freddie, the poppys' remit extends way back past fifty years. Are there some events that you're a bit shy about? :confused:

Aden, Kenya, Cyprus, Suez, Malaya, all poppy fodder. Of course now that the british empire has had its chips, their army does'nt have that much scope for dirty little wars so they have to be happy with playing a supporting role in Uncle Sam's misadventures :pac:
    isent it strange how some people feed on republican propaganda like kids on toffie

Well to be honest I don't consider Afghanistan to be an invasion, at least not on par with the controversy surrounding Iraq. But again we're getting into international relations and legality of intervention which isn't the point I'm getting at.

Let me put it another way. In the US, for example, the idea/adage 'support the troops' is something you will see and hear often. But that does not necessarily equate to support for the war. The same person who may be out waving a flag at a welcome home parade for the neighbour's son may also be vehemently opposed to US foreign policy. In the same vein, the BL, and associated annual poppy appeal, exist to solely for the benefit of (ex-)servicemen/women as individuals. Although the politicians and likes of X-Factor have hijacked the symbol in shameless self-promotion does not mean that it has any great political significance.

In short you may well buy and respect the idea of the poppy even if you don't agree with the war.

But (circa) 25,000 civilians have died in Afghanistan, for what reason? It's utterly disgusting.

The soldiers in the British Army have all been paid by the British Government to kill many of these people. The British Government, and taxpayers, should be looking after the welfare of these ex-Army men and women if they fall on hard times, they shouldn't be made beg as it makes it look like even their own have turned their back on them.

getz wrote: »
    isent it strange how some people feed on republican propaganda like kids on toffie

Yes mate, it's all the fault of the big bad Republicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Mr. Fratton! Do yourself and everyone else a real justice and log off!! Your delusional and a WUM! Thank you old boy!

No (I'm Irish)
    The British Government, and taxpayers, should be looking after the welfare of these ex-Army men and women if they fall on hard times, they shouldn't be made beg as it makes it look like even their own have turned their back on them.

I wholeheartedly agree with you there. Though I think that the massive support that the BL, Help For Heroes and other charities receive shows that it's not the public who've turned their backs, it's the actual institution of government itself.

Bambi wrote: »

Not being coy, just trying to make it relevant.

There are two reasons to buy a poppy, one to remember those who fell and the other to support those who were injured. There probably aren't too many Kenya veterans running around in need of support.

And every western army plays a supporting role to the US, it's called NATO, but you already knew that didn't you.

Gingko wrote: »
    Mr. Fratton! Do yourself and everyone else a real justice and log off!! Your delusional and a WUM! Thank you old boy!

Sorry, but who are you?

• Advertisement

All the info you need is right here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_army

It never ceases to amaze me the hostile attitude that people have when the natives dare to fight back... but they have an open and warm reception for the aggressors.

Aah, the blind moralistic bull**** of the terrorist sympathiser.

Advertisement