Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How come the alarm wont go off when the phone is off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

because it wasn't designed that way.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Use flight mode? Its as good as off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

BenEadir wrote: »
    Grassey wrote: »
    Cf root kernel causes errors likewise with the variant of cwm in it when flashing cm or restoring to old rom. I found it as easy to flash the codeworks kernel which roots it, download Rom manager and use that to backup old rom as it apparently the better version of cwm.

OK, I'm already on VR 3.0 and rooted so should I basically do the following:-

1. Back up all apps and app data (not system data) via Titanium Pro
    2. Back up all SMS's using one of the SMS back up apps
    3. Save any photo's or Videos I've taken which are stored on the internal SD card to my Laptop.
    4. Do a full factory wipe including wiping Dalvik cache etc
    5. Flash the codeworks kernel using Odin

This is where I get lost. What do I do after flashing the codeworks kernel? Do I download Rom Manager and somehow use that to flash the latest nightly CM after which I download Titanium Pro from the market and reinstall all my old apps and app settings.
    Yeah
    Please help me, I'm confused.com

Ben
    After flash fireworks kernel, download rom manager, use it to make a full backup of your current rom so you can easily restore if you need to. Download cm on your PC and transfer it to phone, then in rom manager there should be an option to install rom from SD card. Phone will boot into recovery menu and flash really quickly, don't quit but use menu buttons to flash rom a second time. Then reboot. When you start up the phone again cm should load, you then just need to get titanium backup from market again yo restore. You also may news to flash gapps from within rom manager to get all Google apps back. Also when restoring from titanium do a few apps at a time with data, some you may need to clear the data on to have them work. Don't restore system data as it won't work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Does anyone know what's causing incorrect battery stats on my SGS2, the battery states says its been on for 9 hours when in fact it's been more than 19 hours since I powered on the phone and had it connected to a charger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Nephew wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's causing incorrect battery stats on my SGS2, the battery states says its been on for 9 hours when in fact it's been more than 19 hours since I powered on the phone and had it connected to a charger.

Can happen after flashing a new ROM, either give it time to work itself out or wipe battery stats in recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Huh, well that's a pain. My SGS2 didn't automatically adjust the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

mine did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Under date and time settings, you need to select to set the time via Network Operator. It'll automatically update for you then.

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Under date and time settings, you need to select to set the time via Network Operator. It'll automatically update for you then.
    I had it set thst way. Didn't pick up the change.

Manually changed. Tried the network setting again, and it fired it forward an hour again.

Don't think it's the network, as her Ace changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

I'm contemplating getting the SGS2 as my next phone but also to double as my music player as it's time I retired my iPod Classic. Can anyone comment on battery life when playing a lot of music. I use my iPod a hell of a lot & would be doing the same with the SGS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Grassey wrote: »
    After flash fireworks kernel, download rom manager, use it to make a full backup of your current rom so you can easily restore if you need to. Download cm on your PC and transfer it to phone, then in rom manager there should be an option to install rom from SD card. Phone will boot into recovery menu and flash really quickly, don't quit but use menu buttons to flash rom a second time. Then reboot. When you start up the phone again cm should load, you then just need to get titanium backup from market again yo restore. You also may news to flash gapps from within rom manager to get all Google apps back. Also when restoring from titanium do a few apps at a time with data, some you may need to clear the data on to have them work. Don't restore system data as it won't work.

Cheers Grassey, will give that a lash tomorrow.

Ben

gerrybbadd wrote: »

I had it set thst way. Didn't pick up the change.

Manually changed. Tried the network setting again, and it fired it forward an hour again.

Don't think it's the network, as her Ace changed.

Fixed itself with a reset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

squire23 wrote: »
    I'm contemplating getting the SGS2 as my next phone but also to double as my music player as it's time I retired my iPod Classic. Can anyone comment on battery life when playing a lot of music. I use my iPod a hell of a lot & would be doing the same with the SGS2.

If I were you I'd get another iPod classic, smart phones these days battery life isn't the best.
    So if your planning on using it heavily for music stick with the iPod.

I love my music to, that's why I use my iPod classic for music only and my phone for phone stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

For some reason I'm not receiving emails from my yahoo account or my hotmail account anymore,has this happened anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

If just bought this now and put in a sd card from a previous fone but cant view any of the content.
    anyone got any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAMSUNG-GALAXY-S2-WHITE-16GB-NEW-SEALED-/300616634319?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item45fe25cfcf

Just seen these decent price, 100% positive feedback, but is it too good to be true?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

For some reason I'm not receiving emails from my yahoo account or my hotmail account anymore,has this happened anyone else?

I have occasional problems - I tend to just shut it down completely and restart and then they feed through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

FrostyJack wrote: »
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAMSUNG-GALAXY-S2-WHITE-16GB-NEW-SEALED-/300616634319?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item45fe25cfcf

Just seen these decent price, 100% positive feedback, but is it too good to be true?
    Read the delivery info "seller posts within 15 days of payment clearing" enough time to transfer the money to his bank account and move back home to his own country or new country.

43 sold already looking good for this scammer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

TT09 wrote: »
    Read the delivery info "seller posts within 15 days of payment clearing" enough time to transfer the money to his bank account and move back home to his own country or new country.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056436500

More on it here, including a boardsie thats after ordering one..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

TT09 wrote: »
    "seller posts within 15 days of payment clearing"

Good spot, I got suspicious when going through the sellers history just there and they were all for £5 items like DVD's, now they go hold of 100 odd Samsung devices. Dodge central.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056436500

More on it here, including a boardsie thats after ordering one..

Should pay more attention to bargin alerts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

New firmware update on kies. Android 2.3.5.
    Im on meteor stock Rom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 PerryRoko

Am I missing something very obvious here?

If you're a Meteor PAYG customer, switching to bill pay and getting the SII can cost €119. If you're a PAYG customer with another network but want to switch to meteor and keep your sim, the phone costs €89 on the same plan.

Is there anything to stop me ringing o2, having them switch my Meteor PAYG sim to o2 PAYG for free. Then a day after, buy the SII, switch over to Meteor Bill Pay and save €30?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭marathonic

PerryRoko wrote: »
    Am I missing something very obvious here?

If you're a Meteor PAYG customer, switching to bill pay and getting the SII can cost €119. If you're a PAYG customer with another network but want to switch to meteor and keep your sim, the phone costs €89 on the same plan.

Is there anything to stop me ringing o2, having them switch my Meteor PAYG sim to o2 PAYG for free. Then a day after, buy the SII, switch over to Meteor Bill Pay and save €30?

Some networks have a specific time period that you've to be away before they consider you a new customer - 3 months I think.

Don't forget to order through Fatcheese.ie to get a 40 euro rebate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

I'm on VR 3.0 and having read reviews of the various different ROM's available (see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=17366285#post17366285) for a fairly comprehensive list I've decided to install Siyah v2.1-DarkKnight Beta1 kernel (http://checkrom.com/threads/kernel-siyah-v2-1-darkknight-beta1.157/) and CheckRom's Revolution HD ROM (http://checkrom.com/threads/crrevolutionhd-v2-0-0-its-live-%E2%98%85xxki4%E2%98%85.129/) which I believe will give me a very fast and battery efficient device.

CheckRom's FAQ's include the following:-

Q: I'm coming from a different ROM how can i install this ROM ?

A. Follow the steps below
    Get into the CWM recovery
    Wipe Data/factory reset
    Wipe Cache
    Wipe Dalvik-Cache
    Wipe Battery Stats
    Wipe Data/factory reset
    Wipe Cache
    Wipe Dalvik-Cache
    Wipe Battery Stats
    Install the wipe version of this ROM

I backed up all my apps using Titanium Pro but as it backs up to the internal SD and there doesn't seem to be a way to back up to the external SD card I also did an Apps and App Data Backup using MyBackupPro which does back up to the external SD card. (Not much point backing up to the internal SD card when that's going to be wiped in the factory reset is there!!!!)

My main question now is "Is the correct process to 1) install the CheckRom Rom following the instructions above and then flash the Kernel via CWM or should it be the other way round??

Ben

TheBazman wrote: »
    I have occasional problems - I tend to just shut it down completely and restart and then they feed through

I turned the phone off and back on again and there still not feeding through,I only know I have emails when I go into social hub and they come up,this is really annoying seeing as it was working all week until yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm on VR 3.0 and having read reviews of the various different ROM's available (see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=17366285#post17366285) for a fairly comprehensive list I've decided to install Siyah v2.1-DarkKnight Beta1 kernel (http://checkrom.com/threads/kernel-siyah-v2-1-darkknight-beta1.157/) and CheckRom's Revolution HD ROM (http://checkrom.com/threads/crrevolutionhd-v2-0-0-its-live-%E2%98%85xxki4%E2%98%85.129/) which I believe will give me a very fast and battery efficient device.

CheckRom's FAQ's include the following:-

Q: I'm coming from a different ROM how can i install this ROM ?

A. Follow the steps below
    Get into the CWM recovery
    Wipe Data/factory reset
    Wipe Cache
    Wipe Dalvik-Cache
    Wipe Battery Stats
    Wipe Data/factory reset
    Wipe Cache
    Wipe Dalvik-Cache
    Wipe Battery Stats
    Install the wipe version of this ROM

I backed up all my apps using Titanium Pro but as it backs up to the internal SD and there doesn't seem to be a way to back up to the external SD card I also did an Apps and App Data Backup using MyBackupPro which does back up to the external SD card. (Not much point backing up to the internal SD card when that's going to be wiped in the factory reset is there!!!!)

My main question now is "Is the correct process to 1) install the CheckRom Rom following the instructions above and then flash the Kernel via CWM or should it be the other way round??

Ben

Wipe data/Factory reset doesn't wipe stuuff on your internal SD, just apps, settings, texts and contacts stored on your phone.

I would say probably flash the ROM, then the kernel, it only really matters though if the ROM has its own kernel in the ZIP, and you want to use a different one, then you news to flash kernel after obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I turned the phone off and back on again and there still not feeding through,I only know I have emails when I go into social hub and they come up,this is really annoying seeing as it was working all week until yesterday.

And you have all the push settings correctly set up?

• Advertisement

TheBazman wrote: »
    And you have all the push settings correctly set up?

Push settings?would you mind explaining what they are please?

Advertisement