Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

marcbrophy wrote: »
    If the header at the top of My apps says 'Installed', then you have nothing to worry about, all your apps are up to date.

If the header says 'Updates', then you should see a button that allows you to update all, if there is more than 1 update available. If not, try to reboot the phone and see if that enables the button!

This has been coming ever since I got the phone, but never are any updates! Herself as the Galaxy S I and reports the same problem tho.

On a side note -- while the task manager built in is very good, when I kill programs in RAM there are always about 16 applications loaded. Is there anything I can get to stop applications from loading full stop in the background without my say so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

Just wondering how many people have rooted their Galaxy S2? i am on 3 and am seriously thinking of rooting even just to get 2.3.5 and ICS of course...thoughts?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sorry for the questions now guys but if you buy the phone sim free (not tied to any network)do you still have to root it to get ICS and 2.3.5?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sully wrote: »
    On a side note -- while the task manager built in is very good, when I kill programs in RAM there are always about 16 applications loaded. Is there anything I can get to stop applications from loading full stop in the background without my say so?

Just leave them off. The OS kills them if needed and theyre more then likely just frozen in RAM and not doing anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭talla

talla wrote: »
    Anyone else have a problem with the phone completely locking up?
    It has happened three times in a week since I got it. Phone was just sitting on my desk in latest case, pressed the home button to bring up the lock screen, no response - tried the power button - no response. Had to take battery out and switch back on. Same syptoms and result on each of the three times the phone has locked up.

Hmm, just after happening again. Tried ringing phone and it rings but nothing happening on mobile. Turning into a very disenchanted camper, last time I saw this happening on phones was in the early days of HTC devices and windows mobile years ago....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

Has anyone found the music sound quality is not great, ive fiddled around with custom settings for bass and clarity and all that but it just doesnt compare to the quality of my old phone (Nokia 5800), its a little disappointing, but everything else seems good. Would there be any way of improving the sound quality (and its not my earphones, used them on the old phone too).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Anyone know if there's a silverlight plug-in available for android?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Bluetooth problem.

I have a Nokia Ck-100 car kit, and it is designed so that music played on the phone plays through the cars speakers when connected which is cool. However with the SGS2, it seems to randownly skip (go silent) for a second or so at random intervals. Never happened with the iPhone I had previously. anyone have any ideas what might be causing this or how to fix it?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭budgemook

weedhead wrote: »
    Has anyone found the music sound quality is not great, ive fiddled around with custom settings for bass and clarity and all that but it just doesnt compare to the quality of my old phone (Nokia 5800), its a little disappointing, but everything else seems good. Would there be any way of improving the sound quality (and its not my earphones, used them on the old phone too).

I had 5800 before SGS1 and now SGS2 - You're right. Sound on the 5800 was better. On the SGS1 there was Voodoo Sound Fix (or something like that) which made the sound better / louder. Not sure if it's available for SGS2 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Is anyone using this as an MP3 player replacement? If so how is it? Thinking of getting one and just loading up a 32gb micro SD card with music.

Yeah I use it as my mp3 player with a class 4 16gb card. The stock player is a bit crap so I use poweramp which does the job, costs around €4 afair. Its a decent player but it hasn't been updated since April. For the third best selling android app I'm surprised that the developers haven't released a few minor updates.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ordered this phone yesterday off amazon,dispatch date is 21st which is today but it still hasn't been sent :'( they took payment too and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Where is the best and cheapest place to buy the gallaxy s ii unlocked sim free?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just got this as a free upgrade and very happy with it. OK so I had to sell the next two years of my soul to the network, but for £10 a month cheaper than the previous rubbish deal I was on I can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lordfranto

budgemook wrote: »

I had 5800 before SGS1 and now SGS2 - You're right. Sound on the 5800 was better. On the SGS1 there was Voodoo Sound Fix (or something like that) which made the sound better / louder. Not sure if it's available for SGS2 though.
    The problem ain't the phone tis dem eurocrats, apparently new eu regulations starting some time earlier this year limit the volume output on all phone walkman etc so u cant play it loud and disturb the asshole ur sitting beside on da bus. If u root u.can sort it or download volume+ (sound boost) offa da market itll do the trick! also using the stock headphones they work better than other expensive ones as they made for the phone they sound better than my bose! oh and if u do.use volume plus read all the instructions!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lordfranto

Mega Chin wrote: »
    irishgeo wrote: »
    All the irish operators opted for SG 2 without NFC.

other parts of the world have SG2 with NFC enabled.

Very few though
    Nfc is a non starter here in Ireland, i mean how many times have u seen it offered for use in.a shop or for a service? It'll be a few years till its common over here and by time u ll be on ur galaxy s5

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

I received my S2 last night and I have to say I too was underwhelmed by the sound quality playing mp3's.

Like you I had the Nokia 5800 (didn't like it generally) which out of the box has far better sound quality than the S2. I'm talking sound quality not volume here. The old SonyEricson K800i was also better. I played a couples of bass heavy songs on the S2 and the bass just disappeared into the general mush and I had to strain to hear something that should have been in my face.

The external speaker sounds weak as well.

Other than that I'm blow away by the phone, especially the brightness of the screen.

PS on a general note I'm dancing with the Devil as I took out a 12 month contract with eMobile. 3 months free tarrif. €69 per month, unlimited calls, texts and landline, 15 GB per month data.

For this tariff on a 12 month contract with an S2 I pay: 9 x €69 = €621 + €49 = €670.

I thought this was good value as I use the phone a lot for work.

I tried the eMobile PAYG sim first before jumping in to a contract. So far so good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just got a USB host cable, plugged it into the phone and then plugged in a mouse. I thought this was great, nobody else in the office got what I was on about though and thought it was pointless.

Being able to use the phone as a memory card reader for the camera when traveling will be very useful and cuts down even more on the need to drag a laptop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

strongback wrote: »
    I received my S2 last night and I have to say I too was underwhelmed by the sound quality playing mp3's.

Like you I had the Nokia 5800 (didn't like it generally) which out of the box has far better sound quality than the S2. I'm talking sound quality not volume here. The old SonyEricson K800i was also better. I played a couples of bass heavy songs on the S2 and the bass just disappeared into the general mush and I had to strain to hear something that should have been in my face.

The external speaker sounds weak as well.

Other than that I'm blow away by the phone, especially the brightness of the screen.

PS on a general note I'm dancing with the Devil as I took out a 12 month contract with eMobile. 3 months free tarrif. €69 per month, unlimited calls, texts and landline, 15 GB per month data.

For this tariff on a 12 month contract with an S2 I pay: 9 x €69 = €621 + €49 = €670.

I thought this was good value as I use the phone a lot for work.

I tried the eMobile PAYG sim first before jumping in to a contract. So far so good.

Im a little clueless to smartphones but could this issue be resovled with a simple software upgrade? or is it a physical piece of hardware that is causing the less then impressive audio? Im thinkin of bringin my old mp3 player on the bus with me but that just devoids the purpose of having this phone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

robinph wrote: »
    Being able to use the phone as a memory card reader for the camera when traveling will be very useful and cuts down even more on the need to drag a laptop around.
    How does one do this then? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Take microsdcard out of camera, put into phone.

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    Then what? Copy contents to phone memory?

Sorry if these are really dumb questions :o

srsly78 wrote: »

Not if the camera uses a different type of memory card, and not if you've got any apps that you may want to use with the photos installed on the phones micro SD card.

robinph wrote: »
    Not if the camera uses a different type of memory card, and not if you've got any apps that you may want to use with the photos installed on the phones micro SD card.
    So what way will work? Camera has a regular SD card so slotting camera card into the phone won't be happening :(

This is what I got off ebay:
    USB host OTG cable

That is instantly recognised when I plug it into the phone, then just plug a USB card reader* into the end of that cable and you can access the memory card through the likes of Astro on the phone. Then can copy stuff back and forth between the camera memory card and the phone, or upload them or whatever you want to do.

* There will be cheaper ones out there, but you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

How do I stop services from running automatically when i switch on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

talla wrote: »
    Hmm, just after happening again. Tried ringing phone and it rings but nothing happening on mobile. Turning into a very disenchanted camper, last time I saw this happening on phones was in the early days of HTC devices and windows mobile years ago....

It happens to mine occasionally (once a month or so).

Google for something like "sleep of death" samsung

I'm trying the different suggestions, but no definitive fix yet (but it happens so rarely, it's hard to confirm). However adding/tweaking Load Monitor and Juice Defender seem to have stopped it happening recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

ShaneU wrote: »
    How do I stop services from running automatically when i switch on the phone?

Freeze them using Titanium Backup Pro (requires root) This may be available natively in ICS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Top Dog wrote: »
    So what way will work? Camera has a regular SD card so slotting camera card into the phone won't be happening :(

Using the OTG cable robinph mentioned above I can plug my phone directly into the camera and browse the photos, and share/edit/email them etc. too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Lordfranto wrote: »
    The problem ain't the phone tis dem eurocrats, apparently new eu regulations starting some time earlier this year limit the volume output on all phone walkman etc so u cant play it loud and disturb the asshole ur sitting beside on da bus. If u root u.can sort it or download volume+ (sound boost) offa da market itll do the trick! also using the stock headphones they work better than other expensive ones as they made for the phone they sound better than my bose! oh and if u do.use volume plus read all the instructions!

Get a Fiio amp, itll bypass the the internal amp and make it sound a lil bit better. theyre fairly cheap on amazon and the f5 is really small so barely notice it

• Advertisement

Recieved my phone yesterday off amazon,I love it!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDSDQM-032G-microSDHC-32GB-Card/dp/B003HIWHN0/ref=pd_sim_ce_21

Would this memory card be compatible with it?

Advertisement