Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Whats happening when you try flash a stock firmware on the phone via odin?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

5500 wrote: »
    Whats happening when you try flash a stock firmware on the phone via odin?

It loads as normal, only takes a few seconds and then the phone reboots and hangs on the Galaxy screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Try downloading a different stock firmware other than the one you flashed before incase the one your using is corrupt and causing a bootloop somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

All,
    I'm due a silver upgrade on O2, have the Galaxy S at the moment, is there anything better than the S2 on the market.
    Or anything rumoured to be coming that I should hold out for?
    Thanks.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

dedaw wrote: »
    All,
    I'm due a silver upgrade on O2, have the Galaxy S at the moment, is there anything better than the S2 on the market.
    Or anything rumoured to be coming that I should hold out for?
    Thanks.

For starters you need to wave bye bye to o2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Damo9090 wrote: »
    For starters you need to wave bye bye to o2.

Why? Network works fine where I live, which is a surprise, and doing any call costs comparisons it always works out cheapest.

Any phone advice?

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Why? Network works fine where I live, which is a surprise, and doing any call costs comparisons it always works out cheapest.

Any phone advice?

They have rubbish data packages.

The s2 is a super phone and imo the best at the moment.

Not too sure about be new releases though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

masseyno9 wrote: »
    I had this with 2 handsets (first one replaced by meteor, no questions asked!) It turned out to be fluff/dirt/grime in the usb port that bridges a contact making the phone think there's some sort of car device plugged in. Carefully clean the port out with something pointy and small. I used a scalpel blade.

Actually, this wasn't the exact error I was getting, I was getting "car mode activated" with a picture of a steering wheel in the notification bar, and "voice talk" popping up, and the desk clock too at times. Right pain really. If the clean out doesn't work, there are people out there who've used contact cleaner, which would've been my next step. Power off and battery out obviously.

Alternatively, are you sure you're not pressing the home button twice? I think this is a shortcut to voice talk. Can't remember, I have it frozen because I never use it. If you're rooted, get titanium backup pro and freeze it. It'll still be there if you ever decide you want to stalk talking to your phone.

used antek app manager

hope it keeps it quiet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Is this a phone worth getting? Tell me about it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

closeline wrote: »
    Is this a phone worth getting? Tell me about it!!

You answered your own question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭slfcarro5

The way my phone is I can't even drag and drop a rom onto it. Windows will not detect my phone as USB storage. I have to use an SD card in another device and swap the card out.

I can't get to the CWM recovery. I'm locked out of the phone, all I can do is the button combination for Odin and recovery mode and that's it.

http://www.biggtech.com/samsung/how-to-put-samsung-galaxy-s2-in-recovery-mode_6784.html

That screen shot is the only options I have to work with.

If your stuck you should look at getting a usb jig. I think that they can unbrick the phone have a look on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

The way my phone is I can't even drag and drop a rom onto it. Windows will not detect my phone as USB storage. I have to use an SD card in another device and swap the card out.

I can't get to the CWM recovery. I'm locked out of the phone, all I can do is the button combination for Odin and recovery mode and that's it.

http://www.biggtech.com/samsung/how-to-put-samsung-galaxy-s2-in-recovery-mode_6784.html

That screen shot is the only options I have to work with.

did u sort out the phone yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

Damo9090 wrote: »

Any phone advice?

They have rubbish data packages.

The s2 is a super phone and imo the best at the moment.

Not too sure about be new releases though.

I second that!

in order to make the most of your galaxy s2 you need a decent data package, o2 do not do decent data packages!

the best for data packages are meteor, emobile and three!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

tommy21 wrote: »
    You answered your own question.
    How did I?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

massy086 wrote: »
    did u sort out the phone yet

Nah, I can't do anymore with it. I've just given up on it at this stage and gone back to the Sensation. I rather the feel of it, the S2 is too thin and light to hold and keeps slipping out of my hands all the time. I like a bit of meat on my phones.

No more rooting for me anyways, I'll leave well enough alone from now on. I rather a stock HTC over a stock Samsung. HTCs have better themes, wallpapers and sounds, plus the terrible unlock screen on the S2. All the free download stuff have adds slapped all over them and timed usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

What're you gonna do with it do you mind me asking? If you're looking to get rid of it cheaply I'd be interested in plugging away at getting it working:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

I tried rooting my S2 using the method from here and now my phone wont switch on, anyone got any ideas or have I just bricked my phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

Offy wrote: »
    I tried rooting my S2 using the method from here and now my phone wont switch on, anyone got any ideas or have I just bricked my phone?

you sure you have a GT-I9100G and not a GT-I9100? didn't think the GT-I9100G was being sold in ireland. and dont worry it's pretty tough to brick this phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Lads my dad cracked his screen on his SGSII and he can't connect the phone to USB due to not being able to unlock the screen. He has photo's on the phone memory and he doesn't know how else to get them.. Any idea's? Surely there must be some way of using ADB to pull the files but I don't know exactly how.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

If you can get your phone into recovery or download mode (preferably download mode) you should be ok.

You may be able to just follow the guide on XDA If that does not work for you then maybe you need to include the .PIT file (If you include this then do check Re-partition, i.e. do the opposite of step 5)

Here is the Samsung repair guide (You should not need the jig hopefully)

If you can't get into download mode/recovery I don't know how you will sort it

• Advertisement

Dave147 wrote: »
    Lads my dad cracked his screen on his SGSII and he can't connect the phone to USB due to not being able to unlock the screen. He has photo's on the phone memory and he doesn't know how else to get them.. Any idea's? Surely there must be some way of using ADB to pull the files but I don't know exactly how.

If you boot the phone into recovery (HOLD Vol Up + Home + Power) you should be able to navigate using the volume rocker and home key to mount usb storage and then it should pop up on the PC - provided you can read the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Zagato wrote: »
    If you boot the phone into recovery (HOLD Vol Up + Home + Power) you should be able to navigate using the volume rocker and home key to mount usb storage and then it should pop up on the PC - provided you can read the screen.

Surprised I didn't think of that.. I probably would've thought of it straight away had I rooted his phone but he's not into that sort of thing.

While you're there, you found any issues with the Cyanogen nightlies? It's affected my bluetooth kit in the car, usually use it for music but whenever screen turns off the music stops playing, doing my head in as the ROM is class.

Dave147 wrote: »

Surprised I didn't think of that.. I probably would've thought of it straight away had I rooted his phone but he's not into that sort of thing.

While you're there, you found any issues with the Cyanogen nightlies? It's affected my bluetooth kit in the car, usually use it for music but whenever screen turns off the music stops playing, doing my head in as the ROM is class.

Working fine for me, but then I don't use Bluetooth at all. The only 2 issues I have are:
    FM Radio doesn't work -well documented
    Can't send email on my work's imap email, something to do with TLS authentication -not a huge issue for me as long as I remember to use one of the other accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Does anyone know how to filter out text messages from the call log?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

loads of people (inc me) have put up hints on rooting a phone.

no need to even go interwebbin.

just takes 5 minutes. its not like you are making a spaceship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

loads of people (inc me) have put up hints on rooting a phone.

no need to even go interwebbin.

just takes 5 minutes. its not like you are making a spaceship

It rooted fine, the problem happened when I flashed it.

Don't know that there's an easy way, you could try a new dialer like Dialer One

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

By default, I wish. But you can go to "View by" each time you head into the log, but that's probably not what you want.

That and the whole phonebook wanting you to use predictive text to type in names is a right pain and disabling it seems to stop it working for text messages also.

The iPhone seems easier to text from, does anybody use another application for text? I'm finding im very slow on screen than normal phones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

No text messages in my call log?
    I use Handcent as my txt message app though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

I added Dolphin Browser to my dock (one of the 4 apps at bottom of the screen), however on restart Dolphin browser is missing and I am left with 3 icons in my dock.

Does/has anyone else had this issue?
    Any solutions?

I am on 2.3.4

Advertisement