Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster flooding - 24th October 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Contradiction?

They said 'up to' obviously giving a worse case scenario. It didn't quite reach that, so what? Its not an exact science, and they weren't too far off the mark.

To those affected by the flooding, would 80mm or 100mm really make a difference? No. The damage still would have been done, and there were still no preparations in place to try prevent it.

The point of the post was to shut up NickDrake who spend his entire time on this thread making false accusations about the met office for not predicting it, and accusing anyone who disagrees with him of working for the met office.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=20045984#
    Job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

rosser44 wrote: »
    I don't understand the point you are trying to make? Met Eireann did their job, warned us about the heavy rainfall that was expected. What happens after the rain falls or as a result of it is out of their hands. I agree with you fully that forecasting is not an exact science and I believe that the media like to twist anything factual they get in order to make a better story.

Why cant we all just get along?:pac:

Maybe we're both fighting the same corner and getting confused here?? :P

I was under the impression you were somehow supporting the CC as they weren't informed of exactly how much rain would fall...

Right. Well that's cleared up now!

Back to the crazy pics and vids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Paparazzo wrote: »
    The "cork was flooded 2 years ago and it never made the papers/rte". It had massive coverage in the media.

Cork was under a 50mm rain event warning ~ in the end we just reached 25mm of rain ~ half the expected amount, one would have thought, that given the severity of the warning and given the mildness of our rain event, we'd have totally prevented any flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

anyone know what rathfarnham is like?

Where abouts?

From what I saw around the village is fine, no impact whatsoever.

Last night:

Down at the Dodder, between the Pearse Bridge and the Ely Arch the Water flow in the river was crazy. Never seem anything like it. Some flooding on the road but passable in a car. On the Lwr. Dodder Road from Ely Arch up towards Orwell Road was closed Water was three feet or so high. Dodder Park Road was also flooded and impassable.

I think there was a lot of flooding up on the Grange Road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I see this thread has disended into a cyber "who's got the biggest c**k off"...right I'm off out to enjoy the sun that has appeared. :rolleyes:

It's been emotional ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 mumoftwo.

Hi,

I have an appointment in dublin street,dundalk this evening, i'll be travelling from wexford.
    Can anyone tell me if I should go, are these roads clear? I'll be travelling the n11 and m1.

Thanks everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Some figures for Casement would include the 20mm that fell the previous day.

I feel worth mentioning that the high rates of rainfall over a period of hours was extraordinary. 44mm in 2 hours, 55mm in 3.
    I doubt drainage systems are designed to cope with this sort of quantity in such a short time.

I was expecting heavy rain, but more like 10mm/hr which in itself does not happen often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Where abouts?

From what I saw around the village is fine, no impact whatsoever.

Last night:

Down at the Dodder, between the Pearse Bridge and the Ely Arch the Water flow in the river was crazy. Never seem anything like it. Some flooding on the road but passable in a car. On the Lwr. Dodder Road from Ely Arch up towards Orwell Road was closed Water was three feet or so high. Dodder Park Road was also flooded and impassable.

I think there was a lot of flooding up on the Grange Road too.

thanks

rathfarnham road/terenure road crossroads to be specific

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭kingshankly

mumoftwo. wrote: »
    Hi,

I have an appointment in dublin street,dundalk this evening, i'll be travelling from wexford.
    Can anyone tell me if I should go, are these roads clear? I'll be travelling the n11 and m1.

Thanks everyone

Dundalk is fine and so is the m1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

thanks

rathfarnham road/terenure road crossroads to be specific

That road is fine. No flooding. Traffic WAS heavy this morning but considering Harold's Cross was shut to car it's understandable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

The council where out in force the past number of days clearing drains of debris. Civil defence also came out yesterday once the tasking was given.

Last night the worse affected areas where near rivers/streams bursting or localised floods where the drains where backed up due to volume. There was enough force from the drains to force manhole covers off. Leaves blocking a drain may flood a garden or even a row of houses but they will not cause a metre of water to build up.

The Met got the forecast very acurate and did predict flooding where it hit. You must remember they are charged with forecasting for the entire country and not just one local area or the roads that an individual uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mumoftwo.

Dundalk is fine and so is the m1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

NickDrake wrote: »
    So they should not be blamed? You work for them ya? they got in wrong. Simple as.

You really are an annoying troll. I have been following this thread since it was setup. Both this thread AND ME said there would be a massive downpour of rain with local flooding possible. Thats EXACTLY what we got..

Please, go away and stop trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,346 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lol :D

000525d0-440.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Boyne Court, Harolds Cross this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

nm wrote: »

:eek: holy ****, that's bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Do you reckon they might pull out of the deal?

http://www.property.ie/property-for-sale/39-Boyne-Court-Harolds-Cross-Dublin-6w-South-Dublin-City/589203/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Oh my god that's awful - I feel for those people. I remember too well what it was like for a lot of Cork people around the same time 2 years ago:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

NickDrake wrote: »
    Local Council? So they forecast now do they?

Yes Met Eireann forecasted rain but nowhere near this amount.

They got it wrong. I would consider it negligent if a national forecaster who we pay can get the amount wrong by so much.

I don't think you understand the damage that was caused and Met Eireann only forecasted a third of the rainfall.

Not forecasting the other two thirds is absolutely disgraceful.

OH WILL YOU TAKE BACK UR STUPID REMARKS!

THey DID Forecast this amount!, In each alert they said FLooding in places!
    And VERY HEAVY SHOWERS...

GO back through this thread if u want to see all those Warnings as they were given out!

I and many people here knew how bad it was gonna be and it was right!

Stop moaning , seriously though what Accuracy do you expect from them!?... Meteorology is NOT an EXACT Science ! I'd Like to see you come out with a Mathematical model with 100% accuarcy ! Especially for Ireland!

GO TROLL SOMEWHERE ELSE>..... NOT HERE!!!!..... Every fecking time...

/rant over..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

I am usually quite critical of met eireann but I seriously think that criticizing them in this occasion is going a bit to far...and even in 20mm or whatever fell more than predicted...they gave the warnings out etc. So I really can't see why they should be criticized...

If we take it back to last December though it's a different story, I still remember reading "isolated scattered snow showers on east coast" and watching shower after shower dump inch after inch :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PennyLane88

F**k! That house is destroyed now. Once water like that gets into a house, its impossible to remove the dampness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

patneve2 wrote: »
    I am usually quite critical of met eireann but I seriously think that criticizing them in this occasion is going a bit to far...and even in 20mm or whatever fell more than predicted...they gave the warnings out etc. So I really can't see why they should be criticized...

If we take it back to last December though it's a different story, I still remember reading "isolated scattered snow showers on east coast" and watching shower after shower dump inch after inch :D

met office predicted 70mm. I had enough sandbags for 70mm. but 80mm fell and my house flooded. Useless met office. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Was there ANY work done to prevent the flooding after the events of a couple of years ago ?

I was listening for when the Dodder would flood, a geography lecturer I had was saying him and others were asked to put together a study after it went mental in the 80s and it was accepted and ignored. Big surprise that it burst its banks again. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

All this blame game is rather stupid leaves and alike have nothing to do with floods.

For example last week my septic tank was full there for the system started to back up and eventually the system was full had i not got the system emptied there would have been no where else for the water and alike to go only flow over the toilet bowl and flood the bathroom.

This is the same with drains into rivers! when a river is full to capacity where do you expect the drain water to go it has no where to go so backs up and causes floods. yes cleaning ditches and alike can help somewhat but when you have as much rain as we have had in the last 24h it makes no difference rivers and streams are at breaking point. Nothing Dublin CC could have done last night..

Thats why you see alot of storm systems in spain and the states so when it rains like it did yesterday there's another sytem available to aid in the removal of water! There's only 3 main rivers in dublin combine yesturdays rain with a high tide and your in trouble.....

I feel for all the people who's house and all got flooded but blamin DCC and the met office is silly. This happened not so long ago and lesson should have been learned had your house flooded back then chance's are it will flood again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Iancar29 wrote: »
    OH WILL YOU TAKE BACK UR STUPID REMARKS!

THey DID Forecast this amount!, In each alert they said FLooding in places!
    And VERY HEAVY SHOWERS...

GO back through this thread if u want to see all those Warnings as they were given out!

I and many people here knew how bad it was gonna be and it was right!

Stop moaning , seriously though what Accuracy do you expect from them!?... Meteorology is NOT an EXACT Science ! I'd Like to see you come out with a Mathematical model with 100% accuarcy ! Especially for Ireland!

GO TROLL SOMEWHERE ELSE>..... NOT HERE!!!!..... Every fecking time...

/rant over..

Aaaannnnddd Exhale :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I agree that this criticism of your tax-supported forecast is unfounded, as part of my own (thanks-supported) work I routinely check what I'm saying against what they're saying so it was my impression all along that they were taking the guidance for heavy rainfall potential and forecasting it. The real story (FWIW) is how well the numerical models handled this rather complex low, in both phases, with the heavy rainfall on Sunday and then the secondary which became such a prolific rain-maker on Monday. There were three separate model depictions of rainfall for this available to the forecasters on Sunday and they all tended to nail the event as being over the Dublin region.

Like Mothman was saying, the way it played out was at peak intensity but this was not really outside the range that the guidance had suggested so the wording of forecasts was reasonable. I think what might have confused some members of the public (and not the emergency planning agencies who are charged with using the forecasts) is how forecasts are divided into "today" and "tonight" -- in my own case, I use the convention that today ends at 6 p.m. and tonight runs from 6 p.m. to the next morning. So some of the predicted rainfall amounts for a storm that lasted essentially from noon to about 9 p.m., fall into the "tonight" part of the forecast. But that wasn't a factor in the "total storm rainfall" forecasts that were available to the public in any case. Also FWIW, during the period before this rainfall event, I wasn't aware of any substantial difference in the two forecasts and I received no messages or questions on that subject (often I get a lot of messages when there has been a difference in the past).

The main point is that the numerical guidance was excellent for us and this despite a rather innocent look to the system without that guidance being available. Also the storm was hammering away in northern Portugal and northwest Spain on Sunday making its intentions fairly clear.

Anyway, just thought some might be interested in this perspective. If there were management problems with the flooding (as opposed to act of God sort of thing), the forecast in this case would not be the place to look, from what I've heard here a larger issue seems to be some planning considerations and possibly the definitions of design rate (return period) rainfall to be handled in certain cases.

These alternative forecasts that I provide here and on IWO have really exploited a different kind of "alternative" paradigm than "different forecast" -- it is more a case of different system of delivery, all done by internet based technology rather than conventional media. The main "difference" then is that a different set of users can access the latest forecast in their own preferred way. They might indeed wish they could be at home watching the forecast but instead they're mobile and not near a TV (I know you kids all have TV on your smart phones blah blah, you have to keep in mind I am about six hundred years old :eek:). The content in most cases is not that different. I can remember a few times when we've had different forecasts out during heavy snowfalls, but would say otherwise 99% of the time the content is only different in wording or emphasis once reviewed. I don't make any effort to copy what they're saying but the numerical guidance often leaves you with a fairly narrow range of possibilities and in the UK where there are more players, you still often see a cluster of very similar forecasts made independently. The way things go nowadays, the big question mark is usually what's going to happen 3-5 days out, the models tend to nail down details quite a few "runs" in advance.

elius wrote: »
    All this blame game is rather stupid leaves and alike have nothing to do with floods.

For example last week my septic tank was full there for the system started to back up and eventually the system was full had i not got the system emptied there would have been no where else for the water and alike to go only flow over the toilet bowl and flood the bathroom.

This is the same with drains into rivers! when a river is full to capacity where do you expect the drain water to go it has no where to go so backs up and causes floods. yes cleaning ditches and alike can help somewhat but when you have as much rain as we have had in the last 24h it makes no difference rivers and streams are at breaking point. Nothing Dublin CC could have done last night..

Thats why you see alot of storm systems in spain and the states so when it rains like it did yesterday there's another sytem available to aid in the removal of water! There's only 3 main rivers in dublin combine yesturdays rain with a high tide and your in trouble.....

I feel for all the people who's house and all got flooded but blamin DCC and the met office is silly. This happened not so long ago and lesson should have been learned had your house flooded back then chance's are it will flood again!!!
    Your septic tank wasn't connected to a body of water the size of a sea though was it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

My memory is that Met E were quite stridently warning about the event on Saturday even.

Here is the forecast on Sunday

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1118366

Course they never mentioned Dublin ...only "The East" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

amacachi wrote: »
    Your septic tank wasn't connected to a body of water the size of a sea though was it?

Not even worth the hassle. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I dont actually think you realise how much rain fell.. Mix this with a high tide (water come up the liffey in dublin ya no that??) and ya have a problem..

• Advertisement

You're right, I don't know why they bother with any attempts at flood defences anywhere since you've proven it's pointless.

Advertisement