Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster flooding - 24th October 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

rosser44 wrote: »
    NickDrake wrote: »
    "Met Eireann says it expects showers to develop in all areas this evening with up to 70mm of rain expected to fall between now and Tuesday morning." :rolleyes:

We got twice that. Yes twice. QUOTE]

Show me the evidence of this supposed 140+ mm of rain please sir??????

As stated above. RTE news. All over the news lads.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

120mm reported on RTe news last night. And that was at 9pm.

Ehhh? That's the meja or possibly what you might like to hear?

69mm at Dublin Airport

Cionád wrote: »
    I admire your trolling skills, well done.

Trolling. What the hell are you on about. For god sake.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Ehhh? That's the meja or possibly what you might like to hear?

69mm at Dublin Airport

Where? link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Easy answer brigade?? Leaves have been on the N7 and Belgard road piling up since early september and none cleared!! Same for N81. Like to explain that?

One preventive mesaure would be a clearance of the leaves, wouldnt of stop it all from happening but should be done a bi weekly basis and not just left there!!

So clearing leaves would have prevented the floods yesterday, any other insights into what could have prevented the situations yesterday save the council actually having the ability to stop it raining?

I get that people are frustrated with the situation but this clamour to find somebody to blame is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'm glad I'm living on top of the hill opposite to their.Lived in Tolka vale apts during the last flooding there and my car got caught in the basement,wheels seized up!With all the cars out along the road looks like the basement is flooded again.Hmm building apartments in a flood plain,great planning!!

Sure those apartments subsided a few feet after they were built - as they'd put the foundations on a sand bank on the side of the river :rolleyes:

Show me the evidence of this supposed 140+ mm of rain please sir??????

"Expect the best, prepare for the worst" springs to mind....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Are Priory Hall apartments flooded ? :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Where? link?

http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

O.K. - hands up - it was 69.1mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Absolutely bucketing it down for the past hour in Dundalk...easily as heavy as yesterday. Is that a low pressure sitting off the N Dublin coast?
    No major flooding here yesterday that I know of but if this keeps up there will be...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Jaysoose wrote: »
    So clearing leaves would have prevented the floods yesterday, any other insights into what could have prevented the situations yesterday save the council actually having the ability to stop it raining?

I get that people are frustrated with the situation but this clamour to find somebody to blame is ridiculous.

Didnt say it would stop all the floods, read the post again before you reply.

I said areas like Belgard etc would of had better chance of not flooding as bad if the leaves were cleared.

Leaves cleared by the council in Lucan where i live beside a river and we didnt flood, used to flood before when leaves werent cleared!!!

Jaysoose wrote: »

Don't be so silly. No amount of planning is going to complete prevent flooding from the downpour over the past 24 hours.

But damage limitation surely must come into it somewhere?

If we really want to start blaming people, start blaming developers, brown envelope FF merchants, civil service and county council for building sites prone to flooding, not building-in preventative flood measures to area's that have previously flooded, and giving planning permission over the years for the most stupid of developments.

But that's going way too deep into it, and nothing can be done about that now.

There is one service that are capable of preventing at the very least some damage - the council. They did virtually nothing.

Reactive as per usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Didnt say it would stop all the floods, read the post again before you reply.

I said areas like Belgard etc would of had better chance of not flooding as bad if the leaves were cleared.

Leaves cleared by the council in Lucan where i live beside a river and we didnt flood, used to flood before when leaves werent cleared!!!

Makes sense that a drain clogged with leaves will clear less water than one not clogged.Crazy they don't do more to clear them,a couple million would go a long way in that.Where i live there's still the rotting remains of leaves in spring,blocking footpaths,bike paths etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

120mm reported on RTe news last night. And that was at 9pm.

Ah yes, the media reported it. Good to see them continuing their fine tradition of sticking to the facts .:rolleyes:

Ah yes, the media reported it. Good to see them continuing their fine tradition of sticking to the facts .:rolleyes:

Which they receive from Met Eireann.

Would you care to supply the national broadcaster with a more suitable source for local weather information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

DOCARCH wrote: »
    http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

O.K. - hands up - it was 69.1mm
    Some people have to blame someone. Met.ie had weather warnings for floods in dublin well in advance.
    Some people genuinely didn't see it, but some people did and just choose to ignore it. Either way, if you live in an area that floods, it's your responsibility to be aware of the situation and protect your house, not met.ie
    "Expect the best, prepare for the worst" springs to mind....
    Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

Had major problems trying to get home from the city last night.

Here is a quick video of the impact it had on just one estate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Nick, firstly, the guy on last night's news did NOT say 120 mm, he said "up to 100 mm at Casement", which was wrong anyway, as the highest 24-hour total was only 82.2 mm at Casement, and 69 mm at Dublin Airport.

Secondly, Met Éireann DID forecast it. They had warnings out all weekend, and yesterday morning they said there would be "40 - 70 mm, with higher totals over high ground". Most of Dublin's rivers start in the Dublin and Wicklow mountains, and all that rain ends up in the Dublin area. So they were fairly bang on with their predictions, when you consider that these types of frontal waves are notoriously difficult to nail.

Your only contribution here seems to be to slag them off, making up false figures on top of already incorrect RTE figures to support your argument.

Which they receive from Met Eireann.

Would you care to supply the national broadcaster with a more suitable source for local weather information?

I would be very interested in hearing how that news broadcast was worded. Dublin did not have 120mm of rain yesterday.

I would be very interested in hearing how that news broadcast was worded. Dublin did not have 120mm of rain yesterday.

You really should read the post above yours.

• Advertisement

Su Campu wrote: »
    Nick, firstly, the guy on last night's news did NOT say 120 mm, he said "up to 100 mm at Casement", which was wrong anyway, as the highest 24-hour total was only 82.2 mm at Casement.

Secondly, Met Éireann DID forecast it. They had warnings out all weekend, and yesterday they said there would be "40 - 70 mm, with higher totals over high ground". Most of Dublin's rivers start in the Dublin and Wicklow mountains, and all that rain ends up in the Dublin area. So they were fairly bang on with their predictions, when you consider that these types of frontal waves are notoriously difficult to nail.

Your only contribution here seems to be to slag them off, making up false figures on top of already incorrect RTE figures to support your argument.

Wish I could thank this twice:D

You really should read the post above yours.

It was posted as I was writing mine

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭leroythelegend

I'm supposed to be going to the O2 tonight for Lee Evans. It has been confirmed that its going ahead. Can anyone one say whether there will be much trouble driving there this evening?
    All help/suggestions welcome.

Wish I could thank this twice:D

Contradiction?

They said 'up to' obviously giving a worse case scenario. It didn't quite reach that, so what? Its not an exact science, and they weren't too far off the mark.

To those affected by the flooding, would 80mm or 100mm really make a difference? No. The damage still would have been done, and there were still no preparations in place to try prevent it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Contradiction?

They said 'up to' obviously giving a worse case scenario. It didn't quite reach that, so what? Its not an exact science, and they weren't too far off the mark.

To those affected by the flooding, would 80mm or 100mm really make a difference? No. The damage still would have been done, and there were still no preparations in place to try prevent it.

The guy said up to 100 mm had ALREADY fallen at Casement. He was wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

anyone know what rathfarnham is like?

Su Campu wrote: »
    The guy said up to 100 mm had ALREADY fallen at Casement. He was wrong.

Being the operative section of the statement. Nothing absolute was stated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Floodwater at its height last night at various places
    Samuel Beckett bridge
    241020111631.jpg

241020111633.jpg

Boardwalk closed
    241020111636.jpg

Outside Guinness
    241020111638.jpg

North quays
    241020111640.jpg

Dodder in Sandymount at its peak
    241020111646.jpg

Contradiction?

I don't understand the point you are trying to make? Met Eireann did their job, warned us about the heavy rainfall that was expected. What happens after the rain falls or as a result of it is out of their hands. I agree with you fully that forecasting is not an exact science and I believe that the media like to twist anything factual they get in order to make a better story.

Why cant we all just get along?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭kingshankly

some severe weather last night in Dublin was on a flight that tried to land twice and was all over the place had to divert to Shannon where upto 30 people got many were to afraid to go back( the 11 hour delay in faro didn't help after a tornado took off half the roof )
    3 hours later in Dublin it was a beautiful night even though I was 15 hours delayed

Advertisement