Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin v Kerry. All Ireland Football Final 2011 *** Mod Warning Post #647 ***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

plasmaguy wrote: »
    I'm sick of this blame the ref nonsense, and it was the panel on the Sunday Game who started this and imo that panel got it badly wrong.

I'll probably get a warning or a ban for this but here goes..

Anyone with a clue about GAA will tell you the Ger Brennan tackle was 100% accidental. O'Sulivan slipped and there wasn't a hope of Brennan getting out of the way in the micro second it happened. To say it was a deliberate elbow to the face is frankly rubbish.

The tackle by Kean at the end was a stonewall freekick. The only doubt was if the ref should have played on, but why should he?

Cluxton coming up to to take the free...the ref added 12 seconds, and there wasn't a hope Kerry would score a point in at least the next minute, because they looked to have run out of steam, not surprising with an aging team, with no bench to speak of.

There's also the inexplicable decision not to send Sheehan off for dragging down McCauley who was through on goal, a far more cynical and deliberate challenge than Brennan's. And also the inexplicable decision not to give a penalty to Dublin when Brosnan handled in the small rectangle.

Of course it suits Jack O'Connor to blame the ref. He's hardly going to blame himself now is he. The real question is, has O'Connor taken this team as far as he can? In my view the answer is yes. Kerry looked out of ideas in the final, and are too reliant on either young untried players or older players who seem to struggle on the day.

Kerry can blame the ref or they can take a long hard look at themselves as to why they didn't close out the game.

When teams are level with a minute to go, it only takes the bounce of a ball to decide the game.

Exactly and these have been shown time and again throughout this thread to be true but it doesn't stop the sore losers coming back again and again.
    who has a problem with dublin? nobody, i mean nobody has a problem with dublin, its not their fault the ref was awful.

im born and rared in kerry and even this morning lad for your info, one week on, the radio kerry morning show was bombarded with texts about the ref. jack o conoor mentioned it, its in the local papers, all over the kerry gaa forum, was still being talked about where i was drinking over the weekend, so i dont know where you live, but its still a major talking point and will be all winter.

less of the bull please, nobody here is having a go at dublin.

And here is one of the sore losers, who doesn't seem to have read one post on this thread setting out the reasons why the referee got the big decisions right. It is not surprising that the referee controversy has died down everywhere except for in the minds of some people on this thread as mature reflection has intervened for most and got them over their disappointment.

Is it time to lock this thread or let the circular discussions go round and round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

There's also the inexplicable decision not to send Sheehan off for dragging down McCauley who was through on goal, a far more cynical and deliberate challenge than Brennan's.

To the best of my knowledge there is no 'professional foul' rule in GAA so there's nothing inexplicable about the decision not to send him off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭n32

as a neutral from cork who has no love for either team, i thought the referee had a howler and was especially hard on kerry. he gave 3 awful fouls against kerry. Mahony and Galvin were pulled up in the 1st half for non existent frees and in the 2nd half the call against Eoin Brosnan for touching the ball on the ground was ridiculous. He didnt touch it on the ground and if he did it should have been a penalty. When the game was level Cooper was fouled by Fitzsimons but no free was given and the play led to Dublins winning free. I was watching the game with other neutrals, and we all felt that Kerry had to work a lot harder for frees than the Dubs. Its not the DUbs fault and it shouldnt be held against them. THe refereeing in general this year has been appalling and the lack of accountability would drive anyone mental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

who has a problem with dublin? nobody, i mean nobody has a problem with dublin, its not their fault the ref was awful.

im born and rared in kerry and even this morning lad for your info, one week on, the radio kerry morning show was bombarded with texts about the ref. jack o conoor mentioned it, its in the local papers, all over the kerry gaa forum, was still being talked about where i was drinking over the weekend, so i dont know where you live, but its still a major talking point and will be all winter.

less of the bull please, nobody here is having a go at dublin.

/cryface

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

More than likely my last post about the ref, because litterally this could go on forever, with debates over rules and their interpretation.

Blaming the ref will not change the result.

He wasn't actually as bad as people make out he was, and it's a small vocal minority who are complaining about him, usually the armchair supporter.

The vast majority of Kerry fans and all the players have moved on, it's just cranks who are hanging on to this.

I thought some of Donaghy's antics during the final was the biggest disgrace of the final, and if I was a Kerry supporter, I'd condemn that, but that's highly unlikely to happen, because they rarely if ever condemn their own players, and it's always them against us mentality.

It was only a fecking game at the end of the day. Any eejit who spends his winter crying into his pint about the ref needs to get his head examined.

On balance Dublin deserved to win, and the bad decisions or good decisions broke even.

Blaming the ref was never the Kerry way in my opinion. You have to be a man and take these things.

There are dozens of teams who get angry with refs...Look at how Louth were robbed last year, but most Louth people forgot about it a week later, because they were man about it.

There's more important things to worry about than winning or losing All Irelands.

• Advertisement

to all the dubs who think the country lads are ganging up on them, tommy carr (former dublin captain and manager for any johnny come latelys;)) said the referee made very bad calls against kerry and that if those same calls had gone against dublin there would have been a riot. criticising the ref is not the same as criticising the dubs. they deserved their win because they stuck at it but it doesnt change the fact that the ref was ****e

n32 wrote: »
    to all the dubs who think the country lads are ganging up on them, tommy carr (former dublin captain and manager for any johnny come latelys;)) said the referee made very bad calls against kerry and that if those same calls had gone against dublin there would have been a riot. criticising the ref is not the same as criticising the dubs. they deserved their win because they stuck at it but it doesnt change the fact that the ref was ****e

*Yawn*

*Yawn*
    that reply says more about you than what i posted

that reply says more about you than what i posted

I just don't like when games of football which are often complex and have different angles to them, eg manager makes a bad decision, couple of players don't do their stuff, poor preparation, etc etc are reduced to people saying the ref was sh*te.

To say Dublin only won because of a bad ref, which appears to be what most of the begrudgers/ref bashers are saying is frankly disingenious, and most people are getting sick of it.

At the end of 70 minutes the teams were deservedly level, no-one argues with that really. After that, it was always going to be one thing that gave the game to one side or the other.

Kerry were not the vastly better side on the day, that's blatently apparant to everyone except those who are still clearly in denial. When you accept that Kerry were not vastly better, then people might start to listen.

They were on the day two evenly matched teams, the game could have gone either way, and it just happened to go Dublin's way.

Kerry had as many dodgy decisions in their favour as Dublin. I personally think Ger Brennan should feel hard done by for even being booked, in what was an accidental challenge, but that's another story.

Anyone else sick of listening to the whingers?

I just don't like when games of football which are often complex and have different angles to them, eg manager makes a bad decision, couple of players don't do their stuff, poor preparation, etc etc are reduced to people saying the ref was sh*te.

To say Dublin only won because of a bad ref, which appears to be what most of the begrudgers/ref bashers are saying is frankly disingenious, and most people are getting sick of it.

At the end of 70 minutes the teams were deservedly level, no-one argues with that really. After that, it was always going to be one thing that gave the game to one side or the other.

Kerry were not the vastly better side on the day, that's blatently apparant to everyone except those who are still clearly in denial. When you accept that Kerry were not vastly better, then people might start to listen.

They were on the day two evenly matched teams, the game could have gone either way, and it just happened to go Dublin's way.

Kerry had as many dodgy decisions in their favour as Dublin. I personally think Ger Brennan should feel hard done by for even being booked, in what was an accidental challenge, but that's another story.

i was going to do a long reply to your post but the comment in bold you made just shot yor credibility to pieces. Anyone who has played the game or has even the remotest knowledge of the game knows that that ''tackle'' was not an accident! he saw an opportunity to nail declan sullivan and he duly took it.

• Advertisement

i was going to do a long reply to your post but the comment in bold you made just shot yor credibility to pieces. Anyone who has played the game or has even the remotest knowledge of the game knows that that ''tackle'' was not an accident! he saw an opportunity to nail declan sullivan and he duly took it.

He saw an opportunity to shoulder Declan O'Sullivan which is legal, and he lined him up for that, but O'Sullivan slipped at the last second and fell onto his elbow. Simple really.

He saw an opportunity to shoulder Declan O'Sullivan which is legal, and he lined him up for that, but O'Sullivan slipped at the last second and fell onto his elbow. Simple really.
    you re way off if you think that was meant to be a fair tackle. even dublin supporters on this forum have said that he did him. Tommy Carr who is a very knowledgable GAA men and a Dub at that said that the ref was awful so I dont think you can say its a case of whingers. I d listen to Tommy Carrs opinion over yours any day

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Theres a world of a difference between saying "the ref was awful" and "Kerry woz robbed". Not the same thing at all.

DeV.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I was one who said the ref was bad. But I also said Dublin more than deserved their win and that Kerry and their tactics and poor play were far more of a hinderence to them than the ref.

Just because the ref was poor doesnt mean to say its the reason Dublin won, nor is it being disingenuous to the Dubs. I felt they got the rub of the green from the ref. But they also played better and deserved to win. Games can have both scenarios, its not a case of either one or the other.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Just because the ref was poor doesnt mean to say its the reason Dublin won, nor is it being disingenuous to the Dubs.

That's absolutely true and its what I said in the post just above yours. But when you follow that sentence directly and immediately with this one...
    I felt they got the rub of the green from the ref.

... in a game which was won by *one point* in the dying seconds, from a free, well thats what you ARE saying whether you acknowledge it or not.

The game was won by the finest of margins so when you contend that the ref favoured Dublin, you are precisely saying that Dublin won because of that. There is no other logical conclusion because the margin of victory was so fine.

I appreciate that you are being dignified in defeat by acknowledging that they deserved to win but I'm trying to explain how it feels mealy mouthed to a Dub when it is always qualified by "the rub of the green" (read: we woz robbed).

DeV.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

DeVore wrote: »
    That's absolutely true and its what I said in the post just above yours. But when you follow that sentence directly and immediately with this one...

... in a game which was won by *one point* in the dying seconds, from a free, well thats what you ARE saying whether you acknowledge it or not.

The game was won by the finest of margins so when you contend that the ref favoured Dublin, you are precisely saying that Dublin won because of that. There is no other logical conclusion because the margin of victory was so fine.

I appreciate that you are being dignified in defeat by acknowledging that they deserved to win but I'm trying to explain how it feels mealy mouthed to a Dub when it is always qualified by "the rub of the green" (read: we woz robbed).

DeV.

I'm not from Kerry. Watched it as a neutral and glad Dublin won. Was just calling it as it was. I felt Dublin deserved the win. I thought the ref was poor. Simple as really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Its October now guys i think its time to move on from the match discussion!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

ZZZZZZZ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

ZZZZZZZ

Kildare ... the sleeping giants :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Kildare ... the sleeping giants :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Kildare....sleeping since 1928.More like a dormant giant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

What a ridiculous post.
    I have played the game and coached kids for many years and it seemed clearly to be an accident to me. Things happen at a very fast pace and with one slip, a collision can happen in which its impossible to avoid at that pace.

Anyone can slow something down on the tv and claim it was terrible and deliberate. Anyone who has genuine experience of playing the game knows that these sort of things happen by accident all the time. At the very least honest fans must give him the benefit of the doubt.

To claim that anyone who does not agree with you has never played or has no knowledge of the game is just cringeworthy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

liam7831 wrote: »
    Its October now guys i think its time to move on from the match discussion!
    But.......but........but......you don't understand. If there's enough posts about it on boards then the GAA will surely replay the game. :pac:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    But.......but........but......you don't understand. If there's enough posts about it on boards then the GAA will surely replay the game. :pac:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think the main issue now is for the almighty Dubs to bask in the glory of winning the All Ireland until January and then look forward to next season.It will be interesting to see what happens.Will Dublin put back to back titles together now that the pressure has eased after winning one or will Kerry come back to challenge again now that Sam has eluded them for 2 years.Will Cork beat Kerry in Croke Park and make the final or wil there be a further breakthrough from the likes of Mayo,Donegal or Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Back to back All-Irelands in football is a big ask.
    Also next year Dublin will be installed as favourites before a ball is kicked in the Championship and while the hype was successfully suppressed this year there will be no escape from it next year.

Still, with Gilroy in charge, they could do it.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Back to back All-Irelands in football is a big ask.
    Also next year Dublin will be installed as favourites before a ball is kicked in the Championship and while the hype was successfully suppressed this year there will be no escape from it next year.

Still, with Gilroy in charge, they could do it.

The good news is that the age profile of the Dublin team is quite young.It is no shock that Dublin beat Kerry for the simple fact that even before Dublin won the All Ireland you had a group of players that had achieved honours at different levels.

O Gara and Bastick won an All Ireland Junior Title.Brogans,Cluxton,Cullen,Brennan,Cahill,Connolly had won Leinster Titles.
    O Carroll,FitzSimons (u-21) and Cian O Sullivan won All Ireland Club Championships and u-21 Championships.Kevin Nolan won All Ireland Club Championship.Paul Conlon won a Sigerson.Its a nice blend of players that have been gelled together rather than the likes of Keaney (wasted on the footballers),Shane Ryan and Whelan who were great servants to Dublin football but could only get us so far.

I think Dublin might not win it next year,then again they can but I would say they have another few All Irelands in the next coming years if they can stick to the gameplan whether Gilroy is there or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

blackbelt wrote: »
    The good news is that the age profile of the Dublin team is quite young.It is no shock that Dublin beat Kerry for the simple fact that even before Dublin won the All Ireland you had a group of players that had achieved honours at different levels.

O Gara and Bastick won an All Ireland Junior Title.Brogans,Cluxton,Cullen,Brennan,Cahill,Connolly had won Leinster Titles.
    O Carroll,FitzSimons (u-21) and Cian O Sullivan won All Ireland Club Championships and u-21 Championships.Kevin Nolan won All Ireland Club Championship.Paul Conlon won a Sigerson.Its a nice blend of players that have been gelled together rather than the likes of Keaney (wasted on the footballers),Shane Ryan and Whelan who were great servants to Dublin football but could only get us so far.

I think Dublin might not win it next year,then again they can but I would say they have another few All Irelands in the next coming years if they can stick to the gameplan whether Gilroy is there or not.
    Don't forget Connolly and Mossi with All Ireland Club Championships with Vincents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Don't forget Connolly and Mossi with All Ireland Club Championships with Vincents.
    Ger Brennan and Michael Savage as well.

dcr22B wrote: »
    Ger Brennan and Michael Savage as well.

Pat Gilroy and Mickey Whelan too.:D

Oh and David Hickey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

blackbelt wrote: »
    Oh and David Hickey
    Oi, he was no member of the Marino Mafia ;)

Rath Éanna abú :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Smokiejam

Absolutely not, the complete opposite. I thought it was a lovely touch that he was able to celebrate the fact that a team he managed in the past were able to win the Sam, even though he could only take them so far. Just for you:

294498_285952698098426_127630933930604_1218771_1881932995_n.jpg

hey was wondering where u got this pic? i know it says sportsfile in bottom corner, but when i go to that website for pics they have "sportsfile" plastered right across the front of the pic!!! i wanted to draw one of these pics of bernard brogan and pillar caffrey in charcoal but in order to do one i need one like the one u posted here. i cant buy one as i need to have it on a laptop/iphone so i can zoom in on it while drawing. the pic im looking for is this one:

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/560515/

but without the branding ;)

Advertisement