Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin v Kerry. All Ireland Football Final 2011 *** Mod Warning Post #647 ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Dublin - All Ireland Champions :D

They just can't handle it lads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Dublin, leinster & All Ireland champions 2011 what more can you ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,052 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

realies wrote: »
    Dublin, leinster & All Ireland champions 2011 what more can you ask for.

League Champions:p

Ah no seriously best team won AI..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

2ymg96c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

keps wrote: »
    2ymg96c.jpg

Haha the Kerry lads with the heads down. Priceless!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I've seen the Irish flags before and wonder the reason for it, is there a club in Dublin that shares the tricolour as their flag? Or is purely a Nationalist thing? Those 5 Kerry lads must have got some ripping when they got the goal :o, mighty craic though all the same. Many people are afraid to go on the Hill with the Dubs as supposedly its "not safe". Sunday from my point of view as a Kerry supporter blew manys an urban legend about Dublin supporters out of the water.

While many people thanked us from Kerry for losing graciously; however I would like to thank Dublin for winning with grace and dignity and their supporters were gracious in Victory and far from the abuse hurtled at Kerry in 2005 & 2008 by less than sporting Tyrone people, Cork people are known to shove it in your face too but Dublin won with the dignity of champions and I salute them both on and off the field.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

bruschi wrote: »
    this thread has gotten ridiculous at this stage. if anyone says the ref had a poor game, they automatically are whinging.

just on the highlighted bits above, I dont remember one person on here, or have not hear anyone discussing the game, say it was either a fluke or that Dublin didnt deserve the win. I think even the 'moaners' from Kerry, have all said Dublin deserved the win.

as a neutral, I thought the ref was poor. I felt Dublin got more breaks than Kerry. I also think Dublin deserved the win, and they played good football at the end. I also think it was a clear foul at the end for the winning point. And I think there is a problem in the rules with timekeeping for injury time.

as for the last bit, I have watched it again, and it wasnt a good game. It was entertaining, but it was not a good game. It was low scoring, with both sides scoring a paltry 1-6 from play. It had a lot of mistakes, something that is inevitable in finals, but it was not of a high quality, and wont be remembered for its overall play, but will be for a thrilling end and a great comeback for Dublin.

Looking forward to next years championship and seeing the Dubs defend their title and how other teams will fare. Will Kerry be back as strong? Will Donegal try score points? Will Cork stay injury free? Will Harte stay in charge? A lot of things to look forward to.

In complete agreement with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

It wasn't a very high scoring game but from the start it was entertaining with no team or as must people here said kerry to run away with it,which when i seen Dublin giving as good as they got I knew we had a chance,As to the people in the media & on here coming out and giving there opinion of the what ifs and if whats, well there just opinions and like some other things everyone has one,For me its over, Dublin are well worthy All Ireland winners not just from this game but from there over all performance throughout the championship.The only small worry I have is for next year when the MEDIA hype will be fierce on the Dublin team,no other county gets that.Anyway that's it from me see you all then and in the meantime have a Happy christmas & a prosperous New Year :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

this thread has gotten ridiculous at this stage. if anyone says the ref had a poor game, they automatically are whinging.
    just on the highlighted bits above, I dont remember one person on here, or have not hear anyone discussing the game, say it was either a fluke or that Dublin didnt deserve the win. I think even the 'moaners' from Kerry, have all said Dublin deserved the win.
    Read the start of the thread, Dublin were written off from the start as if all Kerry had to do was turn up and so how else could they view the result other than a fluke and this is evident in the amount of unjustified moaning about the ref. that was done post match.
    as a neutral, I thought the ref was poor. I felt Dublin got more breaks than Kerry. I also think Dublin deserved the win, and they played good football at the end. I also think it was a clear foul at the end for the winning point. And I think there is a problem in the rules with timekeeping for injury time.

I don't believe that people who moan about the ref are just whingers, I am open to being proven wrong as I'm sure are many others in here so on that note can you kindly point out the "more breaks" Dublin got please and when it's proven then I for one will gladly put my hand up and say I was wrong, no better man. But so far noone has been able to make a definitive case for Kerry being hard done by based on the fouls awarded for both sides over the course of the game and as such people who come on here moaning about one particular issue where kerry were hard done by without considering the rest of the issues where dublin were hard done by are indeed in my opinion just unidirectional whingers.

In my opinion an exciting game is a good game. All games are prone to mistakes whether they are finals or not. Finals however are notorious for being boring because both teams are so cautious however on this occasion it was a great open game right from the start and in my opinion a cracker as a result and I'd maintain that view regardless of the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

As a Kerryman, I'm gutted over Sunday; of all the All-Irelands I've seen Kerry lose, this was by far the most heart-breaking. I have nothing but admiration for Dublin and their fortitude, but it's hard to accept losing a 4 point lead in the last 7 minutes of a game.

Personally, I thought the referee didn't have a great game, very inconsistent in his interpretation of what was and wasn't a foul. Ultimately though, the better team won, and the reaction of the crowd at the final whistle was awesome to witness in the flesh, even if I was utterly deflated.

After the final whistle, I noticed Tomas O'Se walking up the field with the ball, but then looked elsewhere and missed this:

http://www.balls.ie/2011/09/19/classy/

Not sure if someone else posted that link already, I don't have time to look through the 1800 posts :) A great photo.

Anyway, congrats to all you Dubs, enjoy the feeling of being All-Ireland champs, there's nothing quite like it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭terminator2

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I was cheering on Kerry as being from Kildare living in Dublin I'm never going to shout for the dubs. Nothing against Dublin, I admire their players and I said at the start of the year this All ireland was between Cork and Dublin with the injuries that decimated Cork ending their challenge.

A couple of things I took from the game:

- Kerry should have won as they had the 4 point lead with 10 mins to go and Dublin had reverted to stupid fouling like Cork last year.
    - At the same time Dublin should have been up by 5 points at half time as B Brogan blew a simple free and Alan Brogan missed a one on one pointblank goal chance.
    - Kevin Mcmanamon was the difference between Dublin as All ireland champions and dublin of old. He won the Semi and the Final for Dublin and is a huge weapon to bring off the bench and unlease on a tiring team. How a lad that good can't make the first fifteen shows that this Dublin team have serious depth.
    - Kerry should have got more scores from Donaghy's presence as he dominated O'Carroll. Kerry should have played it more directly.
    - Dublin were favoured by the ref slightly, although the last free Cluxton kicked looked to be a trip in fairness.
    - Donaghy lost a hop ball in the lead up to Dublins winner, it was a good indication of how hungry Dublin were when the game was back in the melting pot in the final 5 mins. Donaghy is 6ft5' and has a background in Basketball, he nearly always wins hopballs.
    - Dublin and Cork are the new order when it comes to GAA, Kerry are probably going to lose 4 defenders over the next 1-2 years and don't seem to have the talent coming through, although someone in Kerry would be better able to answer that. Darragh O'se is also still a hole that Kerry have yet to fill.
    im from dublin living in kildare , ive been listening to crap like this from meath and kildare fans for the last 17 years , did ye all back kerry :D:D well done DUBLIN a year of peace

im from dublin living in kildare , ive been listening to crap like this from meath and kildare fans for the last 17 years , did ye all back kerry :D:D well done DUBLIN a year of peace

Same thing happens down here in Kerry with Cork people always can't wait to see the neighbour beat! It a phenomena common in Irish life..... known as begrudgery!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

One of the main reasons Kerry didnt win that hop ball at the end is because they didnt get enough players around it to win the breaking ball,Alan Brogan won the break all on his own,a small thing but it was the start of the move that led to the winning free.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,052 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Stinicker wrote: »
    Same thing happens down here in Kerry with Cork people always can't wait to see the neighbour beat! It a phenomena common in Irish life..... known as begrudgery!

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

One of the main reasons Kerry didnt win that hop ball at the end is because they didnt get enough players around it to win the breaking ball,Alan Brogan won the break all on his own,a small thing but it was the start of the move that led to the winning free.

Such was the game that even the smallest thing could be the difference.Thought Donaghy wasn't as effective as he had in years gone by.Apart from his point which was a beauty,he didn't stand out from play I don't think.

Maybe the partnership of Cooper and Donaghy is stale and ineffective.It could be worth putting Donaghy in with Sheehan at midfield and introducing a player like David Geaney into the full forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

No, it's not called begrudgery. It's called Rivalry, and it's not just limited to us Irish, it happens all over the world. Just look at the Ireland v Australia last week. Who were the Kiwis cheering for? And why?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

Anyone got a torrent of RTE's coverage of the match on Sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

StrawDub wrote: »
    Anyone got a torrent of RTE's coverage of the match on Sunday?

It's on RTE website

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/mediaplayer.html?replay,3055332,3055332,flash,

If you install realplayer you can download the match for future reference.

Galtee wrote: »
    It's on RTE website

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/mediaplayer.html?replay,3055332,3055332,flash,

If you install realplayer you can download the match for future reference.

I tried realplayer but it doesn't work anymore, RTE are now using Adobe player which doesn't seem to be as easy to rip.

Anyone any ideas? or spotted a torrent of it?

StrawDub wrote: »
    I tried realplayer but it doesn't work anymore, RTE are now using Adobe player which doesn't seem to be as easy to rip.

Anyone any ideas? or spotted a torrent of it?

It has been uploaded to youtube already so maybe you could capture it from there, there is also a thread of Kerry GAA matches here but the match is not up on it yet, however most of the matches seem to be there so I suppose the All-Ireland will also get added soon enough.

• Advertisement

It has been uploaded to youtube already so maybe you could capture it from there, there is also a thread of Kerry GAA matches here but the match is not up on it yet, however most of the matches seem to be there so I suppose the All-Ireland will also get added soon enough.

That looks promising, thanks for the link I will keep and eye on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

There is a way to download from the RTE player but we can't discuss it here. I downloaded the game yesterday. It's in 6 different parts so will need to join them and then encode / burn to DVD.

I will try to get a torrent up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

blackbelt wrote: »
    Maybe the partnership of Cooper and Donaghy is stale and ineffective.It could be worth putting Donaghy in with Sheehan at midfield and introducing a player like David Geaney into the full forward line.

Definitely agree with this. It worked very well the first year and caught opposing teams by surprise. But since then, teams have by and large learned to deal with it and the returns have been less and less from that partnership.

The direct ball to Donaghy route produced very little against Mayo and Dublin. When he catches the ball, defenders are on top of him in a flash.

I'm not sure he'd even be a half decent midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Definitely agree with this. It worked very well the first year and caught opposing teams by surprised. But since then, teams have by and large learned to deal with it and the returns have been less and less from that partnership.

The direct ball to Donaghy route produced very little against Mayo and Dublin. When he catches the ball, defenders are on top of him in a flash.

I'm not sure he'd even be a half decent midfielder.

The only thing however is that when Donaghy was playing a deeper role in the first half,he fielded a lot of ball even from Dublins kickouts but he seems to be struggling to do anything with the ball in the full forward line when he catches it.O Sullivan and O Carroll did an excellent job on him.Even Ger Cafferkey made sure he had a quiet day against Mayo.

Might be no harm dropping Donaghy and giving another forward a chance.The loss of Tommy Walsh to the AFL has made sure Kerry are not the same force they once were.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

An update of the old photo you have all seen before.

6173250780_16847b02ac_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Fitzerb wrote: »
    An update of the old photo you have all seen before.

6173250780_16847b02ac_z.jpg

Little fecker is only a glory hunter,jumping ship :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭hanleyc2

He is looking after his future, he knows there are more AI's on the way for the Dubs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Anyone listening to the Dub supporter Stephen Molloy talking to Cathal Mac Coille on Morning Ireland about how he got on to the pitch after the match and did a lap of honour with the team? He's hilarious. He said he held the Sam Maguire three times. :D

I googled him and there's loads of pictures of him here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Dionysus wrote: »
    Anyone listening to the Dub supporter Stephen Molloy talking to Cathal Mac Coille on Morning Ireland about how he got on to the pitch after the match and did a lap of honour with the team? He's hilarious. He said he held the Sam Maguire three times. :D

I googled him and there's loads of pictures of him here

there is always one, whats funny he said nobody noticed him, or maybe they just didnt care.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

there is always one, whats funny he said nobody noticed him, or maybe they just didnt care.....
    Or maybe they just wouldn't be able to tell an imposter from a Dublin player, even an imposter as out of shape as the one Sunday.

Advertisement