Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we ignore animal cruelty to suit us?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Despite this obvious flaming. There is a Vegan that works with me, always looks malnutritioned/skinny/pale and gets sick and is off work at least twice as much as anyone else.

There's a huge difference between a vegan and a vegetarian though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

There's a huge difference between a vegan and a vegetarian though

Not really, in my experience both of them are a little bit pushy about their eating habits. :D

Not really, in my experience both of them are a little bit pushy about their eating habits. :D

But in terms of what they eat they're poles apart!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

it's not necessary, people just like the taste of it.

It's a more efficient nutritional source. You can get the same nutrition on a vegetarian diet but need to piece together foods, and eat more of the veg, to get it.

It's not just taste, there are nutritional reasons too (although they're less relevant in today's world with supplements and food imports).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

The Vegans and Vegetarians are just another bunch of pontificating extremists. No different to the pot smoking flower power 70s brigade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

No, humans can survive quite healthily on a diet of no meat, it's not necessary, people just like the taste of it. Obviously there's some nutritional value to it, but nothing that cant be found elsewhere.

We humans are an adaptable species and can live on varied diets. An optimum human diet, however, includes meat. Saying people eat meat just because they like the taste is facetious.

The evolution of our large brains (consuming 20% of our energy) necessitated the eating of calorie dense animal meats. Vegetarianism is a novel concept normally espoused by modern people with warped and deluded morals (e.g. why is it not OK to kill an animal and eat it but it's OK to eat grains, the harvesting of which kills many animals that do not even get eaten? Is it not OK to a tiger to kill to eat?)

Seachmall wrote: »
    It's a more efficient nutritional source. You can get the same nutrition on a vegetarian diet but need to piece together foods, and eat more of the veg, to get it.

It's not just taste, there are nutritional reasons too (although they're less relevant in today's world with supplements and food imports).

And meat substitutes are really good these days, there's no need for a vegetarian to be lacking nutritionally at all these days!

And meat substitutes are really good these days, there's no need for a vegetarian to be lacking nutritionally at all these days!

If you're are talking about Quorn and the like I'd suggest you get a new set of tastebuds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

It's not just taste, there are nutritional reasons too
    It's supposed to be healthier to be a veggie

Is that your argument? OK.
    It's not healthier. How about that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

ScumLord wrote: »
    hondasam wrote: »
    I know they were probably dead but it was horrible. I stopped watching so don't know what the end was like.
    they all became happily ever after meals.

I dont think any of those animals in the video were for human consumption.
    That was no slaughter house. Most likely disease control like FMD or the like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

archer22 wrote: »
    Hitler was a vegetarian ,he actually had a deep love and respect for animals.One of the first laws passed after he came to power was to ban foxhunting with hounds.I think he also wanted to ban the cooking of Lobsters while they were alive..not sure if that law was passed or not.

He had no problem cooking people while they were alive though:rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

When a Meat eater is flatulent everybody nearby soon knows it.

Meat was rare in the irish diet a century ago what are you a butcher or farmer.?...plenty of people throut the world are hale and hearty without meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

No, humans can survive quite healthily on a diet of no meat, it's not necessary, people just like the taste of it. Obviously there's some nutritional value to it, but nothing that cant be found elsewhere.

Yes, it's the taste but there are actually some benefits to eating meat and veg over a vegetarian diet alone. There's more than "some nutritional value" to it. For example, importantly for women especially and children, iron is much more easily ingested from meat sources than non-meat sources. Cutting out meat and fish makes it much more difficult for either group to get their RDA of iron, and I'd imagine a good deal of vegetarians don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

Is that your argument? OK.
    It's not healthier. How about that?
    you're being unnecessarily hostile. Calm down. I didn't claim it was an argument. I've read that it's healthier and I thought I'd share that. I may google it and post some links etc later when I've more time. My personal opinion is that for some, it's healthier; for others, it's not - depending on all sorts of variables from genes to amount of physical activity to quality of meat consumed to knowledge of nutritional requirements etc.

Anyone who eats the correct amount of calories with the correct ratio of macronutrients will be healthy regardless if they get that through meat exclusively or veg exclusively.

Vegetarians are obviously more conscious than your average person of their diet and so would pay more attention to their requirements.

It's not their vegetarian diet that makes them healthier, it's being aware of their intake.

I'd imagine most elite athletes, who are presumably some of the healthiest people on this planet, are meat-eaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Both vegetarian and normal diet can be healthy so long as they are varied and balanced.

Vegetarians have trouble taking in enough protein/iron/calcium.

Normal diets can be excessively high in fats/sugars if poor choices are made.

You will be able to find just about anything online arguing that different foods/diets are healthier for x, y, and z reasons and so wouldn't use it as the starting point of any debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

What can I say?

I love spicey meat. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

He had no problem cooking people while they were alive though:rolleyes:
    Well you could say that about all the leaders in ww2...remember Dresden,Hamburg,Hiroshima,Nagasaki etc etc...anyhow thats a different topic.

• Advertisement

There are no scientists here to make judgements about balanced diets etc.Human metabolism does its own balancing act too though diet is important too.

People have lived on bread and tay to a great old age.Diets are books tv$$€€€

paddyandy wrote: »
    There are no scientists here to make judgements about balanced diets etc.Human metabolism does its own balancing act too though diet is important too.
    paddyandy wrote: »
    People have lived on bread and tay to a great old age.Diets are books tv$$€€€

Nurse! Nurse! He's out of bed again!

Far more food could be produced and with far less environmental damage if we did not eat meat.Anyhow I am sure there would be a hell of a lot less meat eaters if people saw what goes on in slaughter houses.Pigs for example which are highly intelligent animals sense what is going on the second they enter a factory...their crying is heart wrenching and pitiful.

Far more food could be produced and with far less environmental damage if we did not eat meat.Anyhow I am sure there would be a hell of a lot less meat eaters if people saw what goes on in slaughter houses.Pigs for example which are highly intelligent animals sense what is going on the second they enter a factory...their crying is heart wrenching and pitiful.

Wouldn't change my opinion a bit and Pigs aren't self-aware.

Seachmall wrote: »
    Wouldn't change my opinion a bit and Pigs aren't self-aware.
    "arent self aware" are you serious?!!

Far more food could be produced and with far less environmental damage if we did not eat meat

Animals bred for slaughter can co-exist with local flora and fauna, whereas intensive crop farming destroys the habitat for the same

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Animals bred for slaughter can co-exist with local flora and fauna, whereas intensive crop farming destroys the habitat for the same
    First we would not need to use as much land to produce food.Second the Amazon is being destroyed to make cattle ranches and third plants dont produce greenhouse gasses.Other than that I partially agree with your statement.

First we would not need to use as much land to produce food.Second the Amazon is being destroyed to make cattle ranches and third plants dont produce greenhouse gasses.Other than that I partially agree with your statement.

Paddy fields are a huge source of greenhouse gases. I not sure about the needing more land thing, I don't have any sources on that, but then again, I doubt you do either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Well you could say that about all the leaders in ww2...remember Dresden,Hamburg,Hiroshima,Nagasaki etc etc...anyhow thats a different topic.

True but it is off topic, Just too tempting to say nothing:). Everyone has a different opinion on this and there is no point in attacking anyone's beliefs or life choices. Personally I like meat and would be slow to eat a meal without it. Being a farmer I would also say that Irish cows and sheep live a fairly good life in most cases. I dont think there is a more humane way of killing them but killing an animal isint humane anyway is it?? People may have evovled enough to think for themselves but we still have to eat, We are omnivores after all. I know some people dont eat meat and that is their decision and should be respected. Saying that the world could grow more grain and things like that is a bit simplistic as a drought is never far away IMO. When people were at a different stage of evolution they wouldnt have thought killing something to eat it was wrong as they did not have the ability to think like that.....perhaps the human race has become so intelligent that it will be the downfall of itself......Rant over:D

Advertisement