Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iPhone 5 - All questions, rumours, discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

iphone4s-upgrade-for-iphone4-owners-trollface.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

The big guy passed away yesterday. Very sad times. I'm getting a 4S anyway it looks amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

eeloe wrote: »
    The standby battery life is 33.3% WORSE than the iPhone 4, the specs are plain as day on the apple site, as it stands i'm a heavy user, and i barely get a full day out of my iPhone 4 as it is, i couldn't imagine what it's like getting 33.3% less already
    Stand by time is less.

Talktime is 15% longer. So if you make a lot of calls you will an improvement. If you use apps, internet a lot then the tiems are the same.
    The people who are effected by the reduced stand by time are people who leaving the phone for days with out unlocking, making calls, browsing, or using it all all. Do they even exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

If I buy the new iphone while in the states next month well it work over here. $200 SOUNDS like a steal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

cena wrote: »
    If I buy the new iphone while in the states next month well it work over here. $200 SOUNDS like a steal
    That's $200 on contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Thats with a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

3.5 inch screens are too small. You need to use a bigger screen to find that out.

Have yet to use a bigger smartphone screen (Desire HD, Sensation, Inspire, Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Atrix) that didn't feel too large for my pocket and/or too vulnerable to damage.

I don't want exponentially bigger screens. I want a device that fits comfortably in my pocket and in my hand.

But that's just me :cool:

That's $200 on contract.

How much for non contract

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

How much for non contract
    You can't currently buy the iPhone sim-free/PAYG in the US, only in Europe. Although there's speculation that may change soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

quad_red wrote: »
    Have yet to use a bigger smartphone screen (Desire HD, Sensation, Inspire, Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Atrix) that didn't feel too large for my pocket and/or too vulnerable to damage.

I don't want exponentially bigger screens. I want a device that fits comfortably in my pocket and in my hand.

But that's just me :cool:

Try a Desire S then. Bigger screen than the iPhone's but it's roughly the same size as an iPhone overall. It does make a difference and would be nice if the iPhone had a screen the same size.

4.3" is starting to get silly, wait till the 5" screen phones are out. Madness for a phone.

3.7"-3.8" is the sweet spot for smart phones imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Try a Desire S then. Bigger screen than the iPhone's but it's roughly the same size as an iPhone overall. It does make a difference and would be nice if the iPhone had a screen the same size.

4.3" is starting to get silly, wait till the 5" screen phones are out. Madness for a phone.

I disagree, I think 4.3" is the sweet spot, 3.7" is just too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Yeah, maybe. Haven't used a Desire S. But fitting slightly more screen real estate into the same form factor would be a good thing.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm using a Desire S, it is a truely fantastic phone that has never had a problem running whatever I throw at it. I am beginning to feel the screen is a little small, but in truth its the ideal size screen and phone - my laptop is out of action, so I've been using the phone as my number one internet and communications tool. This will be fixed when I get a 10" tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

You can't currently buy the iPhone sim-free/PAYG in the US, only in Europe. Although there's speculation that may change soon.

That changed months ago. There's no issue buying unlocked iphones in the states.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That changed months ago. There's no issue buying unlocked iphones in the states.

I'd say it'll be mayhem for a couple of months after release anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

News to me also. So to be clear, I can now buy a sim free iphone 4 (yet to be confirmed for the 4s) in the US and use it here in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Green Mile

News to me also. So to be clear, I can now buy a sim free iphone 4 (yet to be confirmed for the 4s) in the US and use it here in Ireland?

If you can, you might have issues connecting your phone to your European iTunes account and you could have problems with certain apps.

I'd wait for its sale in IRE before jumping ahead and buying from the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

You can. Go onto the US Apple Store right now and you can buy an unlocked, contract-free iPhone 4. It will only ship to US addresses, though.

Functionally, it will be absolutely 100% identical to an unlocked iPhone bought from Apple in Ireland or elsewhere. It will connect to the same networks, it will connect to the Irish iTunes and App Stores, it will run and install the same apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Green Mile wrote: »
    If you can, you might have issues connecting your phone to your European iTunes account and you could have problems with certain apps.

I'd wait for its sale in IRE before jumping ahead and buying from the US.

not true. itunes doesnt know what country the phone is from when its being activated.

i might need to be corrected on this, but if you buy a sim free iphone (wherever you get it) itunes will look at the simcard in the phone (thats why you have to have a sim in it to activate it) and apply the appropriate carrier file to it, with all the relevant setting for that network.

thats why if you activate a meteor/emobile iphone you'll be prompted to install a carrier file, as both those carriers draw from the same stockpile and are in fact sim free (as far as i know, can someone on those carriers confirm?)

You can. Go onto the US Apple Store right now and you can buy an unlocked, contract-free iPhone 4. It will only ship to US addresses, though.

Functionally, it will be absolutely 100% identical to an unlocked iPhone bought from Apple in Ireland or elsewhere. It will connect to the same networks, it will connect to the Irish iTunes and App Stores, it will run and install the same apps.

How long too get shipped too U.S address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭guil

not true. itunes doesnt know what country the phone is from when its being activated.

i might need to be corrected on this, but if you buy a sim free iphone (wherever you get it) itunes will look at the simcard in the phone (thats why you have to have a sim in it to activate it) and apply the appropriate carrier file to it, with all the relevant setting for that network.

thats why if you activate a meteor/emobile iphone you'll be prompted to install a carrier file, as both those carriers draw from the same stockpile and are in fact sim free (as far as i know, can someone on those carriers confirm?)
    my iphone 4 from emobile definitely isn't unlocked, i tried an o2 sim a few days ago

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

guil wrote: »
    my iphone 4 from emobile definitely isn't unlocked, i tried an o2 sim a few days ago

did it work with a meteor sim guil?
    im still trying to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭guil

kceire wrote: »
    did it work with a meteor sim guil?
    im still trying to confirm.
    sorry never checked after another poster said they are interchangeable, i'll try check tomorrow afternoon and let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

No in preorders for in store pick up this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Please please let this thread die.... I've cried myself to sleep each night since the bombshell of no 5.

The 4S is dead to me. Dead I say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Shock as internet experts are yet again wrong in their predictions about a consumer product. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Vodafone Oz released their pricing structure. Looks pretty good.

iPhone4S free with the mid to high packages, even the lowest package its only $5 per month.
    Works out at $120 over 2 years, so not a chance i'll fork out $799+ to apple direct, as i'll still be paying the same price for the monthly plan from all networks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement