Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A restoration tale (with pics)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

Great thread, I only started reading today but its been bookmarked.

just spent the guts of 3 hours getting through all the updates and the trials and tribulations. I've only ever been on a boat once (bar ferries and the like) and wouldn't know my port arse from my starboard one, but this has been an incredible read.

Afraid I have little I can help with other than this commendation, but will certainly be following any more future progress with wide eyes!

The videos and quality of updates is fantastic. I know you'll find a way to keep it up, so good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Just going back to ideas for the maiden voyage ( the real one not the enivetable "bail like hell till we get back to shore" one:D)

When we first registered with WWI I remember looking at the waterways map they provided with our reg sticker and seeing that there is a clear waterway all the way from Lough Erne to Waterford through the grand/royal canals. I havent checked with WWI but that might be a nicer way to start, maybe beginning in lough Key and finishing in Dunmore East.

Probably abit safer than heading out to sea and definately more comfortable plus its still something that I dont think is often done by most boaters. Dodging shopping trollies and the occasional suitcase body is lots easier than dodging sea gulls and 10m waves. Fuel will also be easier to come by as most small villages will have a petrol pump while sea harbours usually only cater for diesel. Takes us 3 days to get from lough key to Clonmacnoise so that trip would probably take over a week one way.

Any sign of this weather calming down? If there is any break in it tomorrow or friday hows about we throw "runt" in the water and see how she floats

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

There is a gang of us bringing our boats to lough Allen http://www.iwai.ie/forum/read.php?1,33860 on friday so if you tow it up we can give you a hand get her wet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Slig, Fergal. Many thanks as always.

I'm up to my eyes with the leanto. Rushing like hell between showers and chasing darkness. I have an appointment on Friday so couldn't do it then anyway. Some day next week ?

• Advertisement

fergal.b wrote: »
    There is a gang of us bringing our boats to lough Allen http://www.iwai.ie/forum/read.php?1,33860 on friday so if you tow it up we can give you a hand get her wet. :)

Enjoy Lough Allen its a great, underutilised lake and Drumshanbo, noe thats REAL deliverance country:D. I learned to sail at the Lough Allen Sailing club about 3 years ago, in November, in a gale. Serious baptism of fire but I've been back plenty since. There are great facilities up there.

Real great crowd of people running that place, very nice and helpful and I'm delighted to hear they finally got the slip way in. Last time I was there there were plans for it but nothing in place but a muddy bank. Lough Allen is a great lake but watch out for the bottom, it appears in the most un-expected places:D and the weather can change in a flash.

Just back from Drumshanbo where I met up with our own fergal.b and missus. They are on L. Allen for the weekend as part of the power boat club. Met them in the new sailing club which is a very impressive facility.

Please to meet you Fergal. That's some boat you built, shame I only got to see it in a wet and dark car park. Next time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Great to meet the man himself after all this internet dating :) Lough Allen is a great spot but it has a weather system all it's own, flat calm in the morning with lots of sunshine then an hour later we were hit with a tropical storm and 4 foot swells.
    Thanks for the compliment,yep I think she was the best looking powerboat.:D

2011-09-17102826.jpg

You got home alright, good stuff. Yes the weather completely fcuked with my head all day. Seeing what you're driving and the quality trailer you have under that boat made me feel like a .......we like a bit of a knacker quite frankly.:D You'll have to come back up this way again Fergal, there's a maze of waterways and lakes here where you can get lost for a day easy. Great part of the country. I'm lucky to live here.

Anyways, after a day getting soaked, cold, tired and angry...... thank god for open fire's, lazy labrador's and the Deer Hunter on tele.

dnme wrote: »
    You got home alright, good stuff. Yes the weather completely fcuked with my head all day. Seeing what you're driving and the quality trailer you have under that boat made me feel like a .......we like a bit of a knacker quite frankly.:D You'll have to come back up this way again Fergal, there's a maze of waterways and lakes here where you can get lost for a day easy. Great part of the country. I'm lucky to live here.

Anyways, after a day getting soaked, cold, tired and angry...... thank god for open fire's, lazy labrador's and the Deer Hunter on tele.

That quality trailer broke a wheel bearing on the M4 coming home, I was lucky I had a spare with me and there is nothing like changing a wheel hub and bearings in the pissing rain at the side of the motorway 4 hours late to pick up your son and an unhappy wife, O the joy's of boating :D

• Advertisement

Hi fergal 9and dnme)
    Well I tried to warn you about the weather around that lake. I take it Sean, Charlie and the lads looked after yous ok. Was there a good turn out?

PS about the wheel bearing, something similar happened me on my expensive trailer aswell. I bet that a certain old 2 axled trailer we were all condemning lately was looking pretty good as you sat on the side of the road:p.

We had about 25 boats and 5 jet ski so not a bad a turnout considering the weather. The slip has a very slow fall so I don't think it would be a good spot for dnme to launch unless he had a jeep.
    I still think I would prefer to tow my trailer at 80kph than dnme's "no offence"
    Just goes to show always carry a spare wheel hub and bearing they are cheep and can mean the difference between leaving the boat at the side of the road or getting home. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Gingersnaps

Came across this today and wondered had you launched your boat. :)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0919/1224304355537.html

Really enjoying your lean to thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Great to meet the man himself after all this internet dating :) Lough Allen is a great spot but it has a weather system all it's own, flat calm in the morning with lots of sunshine then an hour later we were hit with a tropical storm and 4 foot swells.
    Thanks for the compliment,yep I think she was the best looking powerboat.:D

2011-09-17102826.jpg
    Beautiful tranquil photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Fergalb

That boat of your looks a beaut.

Can we see a few more pics? Did you build it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

check his sig

vicwatson wrote: »
    Fergalb

That boat of your looks a beaut.

Can we see a few more pics? Did you build it yourself?

Thanks vicwatson you can see my builds here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055963665 I know Dnme is bizzy working on his lean-to and will be back soon so if you have any questions just ask on my post above.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

check his sig

Had spotted it before alright :D
    Thanks vicwatson you can see my builds here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055963665 I know Dnme is bizzy working on his lean-to and will be back soon so if you have any questions just ask on my post above.biggrin.gif

Sound, I didn't realise you had a thread running, it's a beautiful machine I tell ya. Lovely.

Have been keeping a close eye on dnme's lean-to post !! Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

I just found this thread yesterday & have read the lot.

I'm mad into boats but don't have one, when I seen the state of the boat on page 1 I knew I'd have to read the entire thread. :D

I'm glad your going with the lean to & keeping it. You would have been mad to quit after all that blood, sweat & tears.
    A couple of years ago I fixed up a boat for someone on the condition I could use it now & again, the owner sunk the bloody boat about a month after I'd finished it so it was all for nowt :rolleyes: At least you have something you can see & you've the winter months to think about parts, colours etc, Come march or april & I guarantee you that you'll be glad you still have it.

Keep up the good work, I'm definitely bookmarking this one ;)

Edit: I don't mean to hijack the thread but I thought I'd add this link, he's a yank who bought a 1973 sailboat to retire on in 2001, you can read his log files dating back to then, easily a weeks worth of reading & very interesting for anyone interested in boat maintenance & DIY, http://billdietrich.byethost8.com/Magnolia/Magnolia.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Now........how do we get the boat under the lean to........

• Advertisement

Right!!!

Where was I?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Thank god (and DNME) for that, WELCOME BACK.

It was fierce quiet in here without you!

I have been following this thread from the start and on several occasions I have just been about to chime in with some form of advise when Fergal beats me too it! (Fergal for boards boats Moderator, yeah!)

I, like I assume many others, have logged on every day recently to boards boats, in the faint hope that there would be an update on our boats progress.
    How was the little Norman cruiser that somehow I felt I had some shared ownership in?
    Over the months, I felt the pain of the epoxy in the hair situation, the constant bad weather and the muddy and damp conditions in which our hero toiled. However I also rejoiced in the little triumphs, and also the major successes (bung) that have become part and parcel of the saga.
    Being an animal lover, I have also basked in the warm glow of Honey's beautiful stare.

What has happened recently? Had DNME finally cracked up and and danced around it naked, basking in the warmth of the flames?
    Or perhaps it had been made into a well drained kennel for Honey?

Come on DNME you've cycled from Mizzen to Malin for charity,
    You've conquered Alaska, (which looked like a blast) and the music business is crying only out for your talent.

An itsy bitsy Norman 17 awaits your considerable talents.

It's all very well constructing fancy lean to's and showboating to the DIY heads, but you found us first and we found you.
    You cant just get us hooked and then callously cut off the supply! Us boaty types and indeed non boaty types, need our fix too.

Get the lead out!!

Seriously, If you do ever decide to do a trip in the finished article, I could arrange both a greeting and welcoming party afloat anywhere the south east coast (Waterford based) and I promise you would be well looked after if you made it to Waterford.
    This is possible by sea or via the inland waterways through the Barrow and Graguenamanagh.

Kind regards,
    Mark

Hifive wrote: »
    Thank god (and DNME) for that, WELCOME BACK.

It was fierce quiet in here without you!

I have been following this thread from the start and on several occasions I have just been about to chime in with some form of advise when Fergal beats me too it! (Fergal for boards boats Moderator, yeah!)

I, like I assume many others, have logged on every day recently to boards boats, in the faint hope that there would be an update on our boats progress.
    How was the little Norman cruiser that somehow I felt I had some shared ownership in?
    Over the months, I felt the pain of the epoxy in the hair situation, the constant bad weather and the muddy and damp conditions in which our hero toiled. However I also rejoiced in the little triumphs, and also the major successes (bung) that have become part and parcel of the saga.
    Being an animal lover, I have also basked in the warm glow of Honey's beautiful stare.

What has happened recently? Had DNME finally cracked up and and danced around it naked, basking in the warmth of the flames?
    Or perhaps it had been made into a well drained kennel for Honey?

Come on DNME you've cycled from Mizzen to Malin for charity,
    You've conquered Alaska, (which looked like a blast) and the music business is crying only out for your talent.

An itsy bitsy Norman 17 awaits your considerable talents.

It's all very well constructing fancy lean to's and showboating to the DIY heads, but you found us first and we found you.
    You cant just get us hooked and then callously cut off the supply! Us boaty types and indeed non boaty types, need our fix too.

Get the lead out!!

Seriously, If you do ever decide to do a trip in the finished article, I could arrange both a greeting and welcoming party afloat anywhere the south east coast (Waterford based) and I promise you would be well looked after if you made it to Waterford.
    This is possible by sea or via the inland waterways through the Barrow and Graguenamanagh.

Kind regards,
    Mark

Hello there Mark.

Now that's a post, god bless you sir. I'm gonna go out tomorrow and have a peek in under the blue tarp. The boat is full of water and the chocs are soaked and probably collapsing. The ground all around her is like bog. I have not looked at her in several weeks preferring to keep my head in the sand.

I need to get her on a trailer and then backed in under the lean to. This simple sounding sentence is yet another major enigma. I've no idea what to do in order to achieve that. Do I do up the existing horrid trailer, or wait to save up and buy a trailer? Nothing's simple!

Ive had someone promise me rollers, they disappeared
    Ive had someone promise me lights, they disappeared

For the time being just put two wheels on the trailer the ones closest to the center of gravity of the boat to make it easy to move.

Hifive for suggesting me as moderator

pinging-content.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Shane Slv

http://www.westerntowing.co.uk/acatalog/Boat_keel_supports.html

I posted this a few weeks ago but with the lean-to (excellent work btw, really enjoyed the thread) and stuff you might have over looked it.

I think the rollers the the link are excellent value, have 4 of the 19mm keel rollers on the trailer at the moment and there perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Hifive for suggesting me as moderator

pinging-content.jpg

Go on outa that you media junkie, ....Ya love it!!

I realise this will be alot of work but could you not just stick it onto the trailer the way it is, reversing whatever you done to get it off?

How were you planning to do it? I've other ideas involving bottoms of trolleys & rope but we won't go there yet :p

whitesands wrote: »
    I realise this will be alot of work but could you not just stick it onto the trailer the way it is, reversing whatever you done to get it off?

How were you planning to do it? I've other ideas involving bottoms of trolleys & rope but we won't go there yet :p

The trailer is just a metal frame. It has no fittings, no rollers or roller brackets etc. I stripped it of everything before I painted it. All the fittings were broken. To kit it out would cost a few quid and therein lies the latest dilemma. Do I spend 200 quid kitting up this trailer, it's a nasty homemade iron frame, everything welded, hollow beam rusted to hell etc... or do I buy a decent trailer (a lot more money).

The first involves spending good money on a bad item (good money after bad). The second is financially beyond me right now.

dnme wrote: »
    The trailer is just a metal frame.
    It has wheels & a frame, your only dragging it up the garden.

From looking at stuff in your pics, all them bits of wood you have, some rope and/or ratchet straps & you should be able to reasonably secure the boat onto the trailer & drag it up with a car. Use rope to pull from firm ground with the car if the garden is like a bog as you say.

Also, I doubt the boat is full of water, even if it is, just use a syphon to get it out while you have a cup of tea or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭wush06

dnme I'm surprised your not just building a trailer at this stage. How are your wielding skills. ;)

Advertisement