Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Templars Hall ..Getting out of Hand..

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nypd wrote: »
    The WIT should be held more accountable,

But why?
    If the students are over 18 years of age then they are adults as such you can't act like they are 8 or 9.

The WIT have nothing to do with how the students behave the same as an employer has nothing to do with what you do with your personal time outside of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Very True, But isnt it up to the Gardai to enforce it, wouldnt a couple of arrests or reports to WIT do something. Blaming €2 drink prices is a joke. .
    eeloe wrote: »
    Let's face it, we were all that age once, and imagine the carnage that would of happened if we were all given drinks(Jd and coke) for 2euro...

Student accomodation is set out for just that, accomodation for students, we all know they are going to cause havoc(have a bit of craic) from time to time, let them be, they are spending their money in the local economy, 2 euro a shot in harveys, 3-4 euro for a burger and chip in the chippers, and 4-5euro in a taxi...they are keeping people employed....

Waterford City hasn't seen nights as busy as the student nights in years...it's great!

I was not completely blaming € 2 drinks . I was saying it was a knock on effect (slight differance ) Which the above kind of supports , The town hasn't been as busy in years which has lead to ahell of alot more students pissed and looking to continue the session after the pubs /clubs close ,which has lead to more house parties which in turn has increased drinking on the streets and anti social behaviour in certain parts of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Cabaal wrote: »
    The WIT should be held more accountable,

But why?
    If the students are over 18 years of age then they are adults as such you can't act like they are 8 or 9.

The WIT have nothing to do with how the students behave the same as an employer has nothing to do with what you do with your personal time outside of work.

My point is the SU put considerable resources into big events on the student calendar, maybe they should be looking into what's going on atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

My point is the SU put considerable resources into big events on the student calendar, maybe they should be looking into what's going on atm.
    They already are, and they always have been. The WIT have their own guys doing security over there trying to keep them indoors and get them into taxis and out of there ASAP.

But student's behaviour is not WIT's responsibility. Theres nothing more they can do.

Talking about it atm on WLR again.

Templar's Hall Residents Committee saying its not just students, there are employed people as well ehading out. Saying WIT are doing everything they can. In fairness once these students are off-campus, they don't have to do anything, but they have their own security guys out there trying to crack down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Templar's Hall Residents Committee saying its not just students, there are employed people as well ehading out. Saying WIT are doing everything they can. In fairness once these students are off-campus, they don't have to do anything, but they have their own security guys out there trying to crack down.

Totally except that it not all students , God knows we have enough home grown luntics , but its more than likely that in most cases its student houses that are hosting the parties and attracting people onto the estate.
    They already are, and they always have been. The WIT have their own guys doing security over there trying to keep them indoors and get them into taxis and out of there ASAP.

But student's behaviour is not WIT's responsibility. Theres nothing more they can do.
    Talking about it atm on WLR again.

Not having a go... but could WIT bring in a code of conduct contract type thing which must be signed by all students before starting their courses.

Lets face it in the real world if you embarrassed and soiled the name of your employer as much as these students do to WIT week in week out , you wouldn't be in a job too long...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

I have great sympathy for the residents in Templars Hall, having first hand experience of it.My sister has a house there and bought it when the houses first went on sale there and their was no warning then that landlords were snapping up houses there and laying the seeds for what is going on there now.

We were absolutely terrorised by students next door, with all the usual stuff but for example, they regularly played hurling in the sitting room, it was terrible.

But for anyone wanting to know how to deal with it as we did...........you need to first identify the landlord and make your complaint etc, show the evidence if you have it, then if nothing is done, you then go to the court house and ask for a form under the noise pollution act and fill it out, you will then get a date for hearing in the district court where the landlord will have to attend, and thats where we wiped the smile off the landlord's face, up to that point he failed to sort it out but he learned his lesson.The judge ordered him to sort the problem and if he appeared back in court he would have been held in comtempt of a court order.You will get no where with the gardai, "we cant do anything etc", if its a letting agency that manages the house it will be them you bring to court, its a very simple procedure and is the only quick solution available. If anyone wants any further info, pm me. I was in court that day and it was absolutely beautiful seeing that landlord put in their place.:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Not having a go... but could WIT bring in a code of conduct contract type thing which must be signed by all students before starting their courses.

It wouldn't be worth the paper its written on,

Again could your employer make you sign a code of conduct which would control what you do in your personal time regarding when and how loud the music you listen to is, drinking at weekends, where you park your car, where you drive your car etc?

All of the above you receive no convictions for doing.

Do you honestly think any employer could enforce such a thing when you haven't actually been convicted for doing anything wrong and do you think it would stand up in court if challenged.....

The answer I'm betting is no you don';t think it would work or stand-up in court so why would the WIT waste resources on something so flimsy?

People might want WIT to act like parents but they are not

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    And it wouldn't be worth a scrap.

Primary and Secondary schools have no responsibility for what students do outside of school hours. When they get to college, nearly all of them are 18 years of age and fully accountable to the law.

Its not up to the college to police or monitor students outside of campus and outside of college hours. If this was happening on official WIT Accomodation on campus something could be done, but it isnt.

Not a single student would be embarassed about going against a "code of conduct".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭ec18

apparently there's local news paper photographers down there atm re arranging beer bottles and taking photos of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

And it wouldn't be worth a scrap.

Primary and Secondary schools have no responsibility for what students do outside of school hours. When they get to college, nearly all of them are 18 years of age and fully accountable to the law.

Its not up to the college to police or monitor students outside of campus and outside of college hours. If this was happening on official WIT Accomodation on campus something could be done, but it isnt.

Not a single student would be embarassed about going against a "code of conduct".

If anything they would brag about how they broke the ''code of conduct.''

Such rebels and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    If anything they would brag about how they broke the ''code of conduct.''

Such rebels and all that.

Not really. Itd just be pointless & forgotten about within days.
    Bit like that confirmation pledge about not drinking until youre 18 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Not really. Itd just be pointless & forgotten about within days.
    Bit like that confirmation pledge about not drinking until youre 18 :pac:

Well going on students' concentration spans today.. probably more than likely a few hours. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

So the fact that we have a culture of young people getting pissed, getting up to mischief and going mad is WIT's fault? All WIT does is bring them all together in one place, but they'd be going nuts and getting pissed somewhere with someone anyway, because that's what we do here in Ireland. We get pissed and star in our own personal versions of 2 and a half men until we are eventually forced to get a serious job where our colleagues and superiors take a dim view of such behaviour, then we grow up.

Blaming Irish culture on WIT is laughable. Each and every one of you got drunk and got up to no good, enjoyed it, and still tell stories about it, and now you're all shocked that the next generation is doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

merlante wrote: »
    So the fact that we have a culture of young people getting pissed, getting up to mischief and going mad is WIT's fault? All WIT does is bring them all together in one place, but they'd be going nuts and getting pissed somewhere with someone anyway, because that's what we do here in Ireland. We get pissed and star in our own personal versions of 2 and a half men until we are eventually forced to get a serious job where our colleagues and superiors take a dim view of such behaviour, then we grow up.

Blaming Irish culture on WIT is laughable. Each and every one of you got drunk and got up to no good, enjoyed it, and still tell stories about it, and now you're all shocked that the next generation is doing it.

FACT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

merlante wrote: »

Fook that. I still do stupid things. Nothing crazy like. Lately its passing out but I try haha

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

The Templars hall argument started back when I was in college. I think the problem is that some poor family's bought houses early without realising that an estate so close to the college is going to become mainly student housing. It's not their fault it's just how it happened.

As an interesting fact (up until I last checked a couple of years ago) if you are having a house party that rivals a superclub in Ibiza and you are blaring music at 4am, guess what? The guards can't do squat about it! It comes under Tort law and if you had a student with enough stones to tell a guard who came to his door just that thar guard would have to be on his merry way. Now, things may have changed since.

Fact is, there is nothing Billy Mac and his cronies can do. I'm afraid if you put that many student houses together then this will just happen. If I had a house in Templars hall I would of course be raging over it but I can't see it changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

There's no doubt that must of us probably went a bit mad when we were younger and were drinking like fish, nothing has changed there, but attitudes have changed. When I moved to Waterford back in 1999, drinks like vodka were £1 and bottles of Reef were £2 so there was still plenty of cheap drink around and we did more than our fair share of drinking. However, there was nowhere near as much trouble and people weren't going around wrecking other peoples private property. We also tried to keep disruption to a minimum. It's only in the last few years that any semblance of decency and responsibility has gone out the window.

Of course there are exceptions: there was plenty of bad students back then and plenty of good students now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

ziedth wrote: »
    The Templars hall argument started back when I was in college. I think the problem is that some poor family's bought houses early without realising that an estate so close to the college is going to become mainly student housing. It's not their fault it's just how it happened.

You bring up an interesting point. Now, let me first say that I am totally sympathetic to the plight of genuine residents there who want a bit of peace and quiet, but here's the thing... Those houses were bought by people who not only knew that a college existed just up the road, but in closer proximity was a halting site, a former landfill, and dare I say one of the most notorious housing estates (no disrespect to the good people of Ballybeg). Did they buy those houses thinking there'd be no disharmony at all?

gscully wrote: »
    You bring up an interesting point. Now, let me first say that I am totally sympathetic to the plight of genuine residents there who want a bit of peace and quiet, but here's the thing... Those houses were bought by people who not only knew that a college existed just up the road, but in closer proximity was a halting site, a former landfill, and dare I say one of the most notorious housing estates (no disrespect to the good people of Ballybeg). Did they buy those houses thinking there'd be no disharmony at all?

Regardless of the area and what people might label the area are the people are none the less entitled to a decent night sleep, thats not a very unreasonable request in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

No doubt they will all be out protesting before the budget about how they can barely afford to go to college yet they can someone find the money to get pissed Tues/Wed/Thursday nights.

I'm going to be honest, I don't know how they can afford it.

I have to manage to live off €6000 and whatever scraps my family give me for a year (Which is very little, to be honest, as we're poor as hell, and have been for the past twoish years), it's bloody difficult. I can't just get a job, either, as my course requires 42 hours a week, with 4 hours of commuting a day on top of that. More than a full time job.

I can't afford to get pissed on any night of the week as is, so I can tell you that it's slightly unfair to expect me not to be pissed off if student contribution increases.

In reality, I would be in a better position financially if I was drawing the dole, as I wouldn't have massive transport costs to deal with, and I'd have a larger chunk of cash annually.

Lets not attack all students, because frankly, a helluva lot of us can't afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

At the end of the day its the students involved who have to take responsibility for what is happening not just in Templars Hall but in other parts of the town. Its not WIT fault, Gardai's fault or any of the niteclub's fault what adults do.

Normally the p*ss heads last till about Christmas before they drop out and head back to what ever god forsaken bog hole they crawled out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

eeloe wrote: »
    Let's face it, we were all that age once, and imagine the carnage that would of happened if we were all given drinks(Jd and coke) for 2euro...

Student accomodation is set out for just that, accomodation for students, we all know they are going to cause havoc(have a bit of craic) from time to time, let them be, they are spending their money in the local economy, 2 euro a shot in harveys, 3-4 euro for a burger and chip in the chippers, and 4-5euro in a taxi...they are keeping people employed....

Waterford City hasn't seen nights as busy as the student nights in years...it's great!

It's a disgrace, we were all that age but most of us knew better than acting like animals. I wonder would you still have the same opinion of it being great for the city if it was going on outside your house.

If they stayed in their houses and had their fun it wouldn't be as bad but it's the running around on the streets and the amount of broken bottles and ripped up trees. it makes the whole place look like ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ziedth wrote: »
    As an interesting fact (up until I last checked a couple of years ago) if you are having a house party that rivals a superclub in Ibiza and you are blaring music at 4am, guess what? The guards can't do squat about it! It comes under Tort law and if you had a student with enough stones to tell a guard who came to his door just that thar guard would have to be on his merry way. Now, things may have changed since..
    100% true.
    Twin bro is based in bray now as a cop. I asked him one night does he ever get much hassle when calling out to a house party. He said as you said. All the cops can do is ask the people to turn down the music , which he said some do and some don't. He said the guards have no power to force the people to turn down the music.
    Whoever deals with noise pollution is the people ya want.

Maybe setting up a mic or video camera to record the sound and have the guard phone record to prove the time of the noise might work. I dunno
    Yes I know there is more going on that some noise. Don't forget also that according to other threads, the guards also have to be on every street in town for when your mate/ yourself etc gets in trouble.

Last part wasn't aimed at you zie, I just to lazy to differentiate haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cataclysm

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Right, here's my take on the whole situation out in Templar's Hall.

The college should also take action against those involved and should have a burden of responsibility in this regard.

this is the main thing I saw. How can the college stop this?
    People go out and get drunk, have you seen a Saturday night during the summer? It was worse half the time but no one really piped up because it was them.
    Now that students are back they get to play the blame game.

The night club's encourage this and the Gardai on a Wednesday night are the worse.
    Yes there like three of them but all they do is stand by the Kebab place and watch. They wont try to do anything because they cba

The Union tried to do something last year and that made the flame war even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

gscully wrote: »
    . Those houses were bought by people who not only knew that a college existed just up the road, but in closer proximity was a halting site, a former landfill, and dare I say one of the most notorious housing estates (no disrespect to the good people of Ballybeg). Did they buy those houses thinking there'd be no disharmony at all?

Never had a problem with the Halting site
    Never had a problem with anyone from Ballybeg
    The Landfill has been closed several years now and is soon to re-open as a public park.

The closing of the Landfill , the new outer ring road ,future development along the Kilbarry road (proposed retail park ,Tesco Ballybeg)..these things were known by people who bought houses in Templars Hall.Good block built houses , significantly cheaper than some other new estates in the town (new semis were over 20K cheaper that equivalent houses in Fiodh Mor)…made Templars Hall an attractive place to buy for many first time buyers.

What a lot of people didn’t know was the extent of how many houses were being bought for the the rental market…..sometimes 10 to 20 houses in the same area would be bought by a single landlord.
    This didn’t happen in neighbouring estates like Lacken Wood or Carrig An Ard…or anywhere else.

I’ve lived in several countries , a few towns around Ireland and stayed several years in Maynooth living in an estate with many student houses…….but I’ve never experienced anything like Templars Hall.
    Unless you live there , you really don’t know how bad it is.

To suggest that the residents of Templars Hall should have known what they were letting themselves in for and should just shut up and get on with things , is very insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

cataclysm wrote: »
    this is the main thing I saw. How can the college stop this?
    People go out and get drunk, have you seen a Saturday night during the summer? It was worse half the time but no one really piped up because it was them.
    Now that students are back they get to play the blame game.

The night club's encourage this and the Gardai on a Wednesday night are the worse.
    Yes there like three of them but all they do is stand by the Kebab place and watch. They wont try to do anything because they cba

The Union tried to do something last year and that made the flame war even worse.

Think you're missing the point of the thread there.

Yes, people go out on Saturday night all year round not just during the summer but the majority go home after the pubs / nightclubs. They dont continue it on in housing estates till the small hours of the morning - that is where the problem lies.

Also how often do you hear of the Saturday night crowd kicking peoples doors in or overturning bins in town- very rarely yet this seems to be a regular occurence on a Wednesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

[/Quote]
    To suggest that the residents of Templars Hall should have known what they were letting themselves in for and should just shut up and get on with things , is very insulting.[/Quote]
    +1
    Some very good points,
    Living around a party house or several of them is no fun, especially if you have family, work the next morning etc.

Some previous posts here bang on about the WIT not being responsible for what goes on there, the fact that they have security out there means they have assumed responsibility and have done for several years,

This is not just a mere annoyance to normal residents, it's anti social behaviour.
    Kids today have a different attitude towards their peers, I know for one when I was that age I was mad, but if we interfered with a neighbour or told to clear off, we did!

As WIT pushes for uni status problems like this need to be brought under control,
    It can never be totally stamped out, but it sure as hell can be controlled.

Some previous posts here bang on about the WIT not being responsible for what goes on there, the fact that they have security out there means they have assumed responsibility and have done for several years.
    No it doesn't! What part of OUTSIDE OF COLLEGE do you not understand?

Are WIT out there partying with the students?
    Are WIT organising Templars Hall parties for students?

Assumed responsibility? Gway outta that. They arranged some extra security during discussions with the residents committee in an effort to help them out. They never took responsibility because they aren't responsible.

What makes you think WIT are responsible for what a bunch of 18 year olds do in their spare time?

When I was 18 I was in secondary school and the guards kicked us out of a house party. By your logic it was De La Salle's responsibility to deal with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

To suggest that the residents of Templars Hall should have known what they were letting themselves in for and should just shut up and get on with things , is very insulting.[/Quote]
    +1
    Some very good points,
    Living around a party house or several of them is no fun, especially if you have family, work the next morning etc.

Some previous posts here bang on about the WIT not being responsible for what goes on there, the fact that they have security out there means they have assumed responsibility and have done for several years,

This is not just a mere annoyance to normal residents, it's anti social behaviour.
    Kids today have a different attitude towards their peers, I know for one when I was that age I was mad, but if we interfered with a neighbour or told to clear off, we did!

As WIT pushes for uni status problems like this need to be brought under control,
    It can never be totally stamped out, but it sure as hell can be controlled.[/QUOTE]

While the WIT are not responsible for the actions of the students they can /do play their part to play in hammering into the students the consequences for such anti social behaviour.

To say that nothing can be done by the college or the Gardai is a bit of a cop out (pardon the pun)

It's not down to the residents or the City Council to solve this.

A solution has to be found by everyone involved and by that I mean the students, the students union, the college, the gardai and the residents and even the parents of the students

If the students still choose to ignore this surely there are laws that can deal with such behaviour

Advertisement