Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Templars Hall ..Getting out of Hand..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Wlr report was interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

6600 wrote: »
    Also, IMO WIT in know way resembles a university. I don't know where they got the idea they should be allowed call it one.
    Going slightly off topic here, but that is a common argument against an upgrade for WIT. But how is WIT supposed to resemble a university if it doesn't have the same funding and resources that the universities have, and the type of students and academics it would attract if it were a university. It's also worth noting that the Port Report suggested WIT is operating on a university level though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Sorry but I feel compelled to write this.

I am someone who has gone to a Dublin college but who has also gone out on student nights in Waterford and know lots of people who attend WIT I have to say that Waterford seems to be a good bit worse than other places for antisocial behaviour by students. In my opinion the reasons are:

1. The majority of students know lots of people from their secondary schools as its where most of them end up after they do the leaving. They never lose the secondary school herd mentality and never have to leave the comfort zone of having to make new friends. They continue on as they did in school only this time with money, drink and no parents, but still act like children.
    2. Lets face it, most WIT students are not high achievers, very few would have gotten over 350 points. These people are more likely to be trouble-maker types. This is just a fact of life. They also probably went to college because they couldn't think of anything else to do and are not really that interested in the course they are doing. Have these people got the academic skills to take a degree course? Probably not.
    Being in a college where nearly everyone else is more intelligent than you challenges you and pulls you up to their level. Having seen and been out in WIT I can only see how you would be pulled down by the mediocrity of the people around you.
    3. The atmosphere in WIT is more like a school than a college. The 'us against the teacher' type attitude. This means the students don't grow up until they leave the place.

Also, IMO WIT in know way resembles a university. I don't know where they got the idea they should be allowed call it one.

Thats quite a large brush you have there. Seems to me that your hanging around with the wrong students. I went to WIT, got a lot more than 350 points, but the course i wanted was in WIT so i went there.

While its true, certain courses attract people with the herd mentality (business students from my experience), they are going to be that immature no matter whether they are in college or not.

The only people that can solve the problem in Templers is the landlords. Gardai cant do anything, WIT cant do anything. Landlords need to evict troublesome tenents. But they wont do this as they will lose money. People should be directing their attention on the landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I am someone who has gone to a Dublin college but who has also gone out on student nights in Waterford and know lots of people who attend WIT I have to say that Waterford seems to be a good bit worse than other places for antisocial behaviour by students. In my opinion the reasons are:

1. The majority of students know lots of people from their secondary schools as its where most of them end up after they do the leaving. They never lose the secondary school herd mentality and never have to leave the comfort zone of having to make new friends. They continue on as they did in school only this time with money, drink and no parents, but still act like children.
    2. Lets face it, most WIT students are not high achievers, very few would have gotten over 350 points. These people are more likely to be trouble-maker types. This is just a fact of life. They also probably went to college because they couldn't think of anything else to do and are not really that interested in the course they are doing. Have these people got the academic skills to take a degree course? Probably not.
    Being in a college where nearly everyone else is more intelligent than you challenges you and pulls you up to their level. Having seen and been out in WIT I can only see how you would be pulled down by the mediocrity of the people around you.

3. The atmosphere in WIT is more like a school than a college. The 'us against the teacher' type attitude. This means the students don't grow up until they leave the place.

Fine degree of superiority complex goin on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

2. Lets face it, most WIT students are not high achievers, very few would have gotten over 350 points. These people are more likely to be trouble-maker types. .

What a clown!

< 350 points and have to professional qualifications since. No failed exams which is totally against the norm for either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Keea

I listened to the majority of the report on WLR FM at lunch time today and I think it's a disgrace what people have to put up with in Templars Hall. Something has to be done so those nice people trying to get on with their lives can have peace and quiet in their own homes (whether that home is rented or owned). My suggestion is that the college president needs to take control. Get every student to give their rental address (whereever they are living in Waterford) and landlord details to the college so that people can access it if they are having problems. Then ring the landlord in the middle of the night and see what he / she thinks of being kept awake. That might spur them on to do something. I had the experience before of living beside someone who had a few very loud parties (where I couldn't sleep etc) and it got to the stage where every night before I went to sleep...I wondered was tonight another of those nights. It's a horrible feeling. I just wanted peace and quiet in my own home. Something needs to be done for these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

ziedth wrote: »
    One thing I will ask is why Templars Hall is getting such preferential treatment here. I'm sure there are a few young families living on manor street that get an even worse time or I'm even lismore park surely sees it's fair share.

I'm sure it's awful in TH and I hope they get a bit of peace but if I lived next to a noisy student house in I dunno Hillview I'd be raging I wasn't getting any media help.

That's a fair point, I think the other estates seem to have student accommodation dotted around them, rather than complete streets.
    On saying that it's no fun living next door to a party house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Do you expect to be taken seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

CAO points for degree courses for this year are available here. These are absolute minimum points, not averages or highs:
    WD025 Construction Management (and Engineering) 320
    WD027 Music #310
    WD028 Applied Computing 300
    WD048 Business 300
    WD049 Business (with French) 355
    WD080 Business Studies (with German) 325
    WD084 Accounting 300
    WD085 Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering 280
    WD086 Electronic Engineering 345
    WD091 Hospitality Management 280
    WD095 Marketing 285
    WD116 General Nursing 420
    WD117 Psychiatric Nursing 380*
    WD120 Intellectual Disability Nursing 385
    WD124 Health Promotion 315
    WD125 Exercise and Health Studies 300
    WD127 Retail Management 305
    WD134 International Business 300
    WD135 Applied Social Studies in Social Care 355*
    WD137 Design (Visual Communications) 300
    WD140 Law 300
    WD144 Architecture 400 400
    WD147 Pharmaceutical Science 325
    WD148 Tourism Marketing 295 295
    WD149 Early Childhood Studies 340
    WD150 Criminal Justice 315
    WD152 Visual Arts 300
    WD160 Finance and Investment 340
    WD161 Computer Forensics 300
    WD162 Quantity Surveying 300
    WD163 Psychology 380
    WD168 Entertainments Systems 290 290
    WD171 Sustainable Energy Engineering 300
    WD179 Business (with Irish) 410
    WD200 Arts 290
    WD816 Mature Applicants General Nursing #232
    WD817 Mature Applicants Psychiatric Nursing #224
    WD820 Mature Applicants Intellectual Disability Nursing #220*

In most cases, the weakest students in the year are around the 300 mark. That might put the average at 350. In some cases, such as Architecture, Psychology and Nursing the minimum is 380-400, meaning the average might be 400-450.

So to say that very few would have gotten above 350 is ridiculous. 350 is more like the average, or below the average, for degree programmes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Christ with that outlook you must think Carlow is the old west :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

ziedth wrote: »
    Christ with that outlook you must think Carlow is the old west :)

He/she souunds like a D4 head living on planet zog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

I know of many people who walk into templars hall looking for a party who are not even students you could tell these people to stay quite might last about 2 minutes then back to screaming or w/e

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phelo2121

Sorry now I went to wit straight from school in Waterford and so did many of my friends and none of us ever engaged in anti social behaviour and rarely went out on student nights, in my experience it is young people who have come from rural areas who have been sheltered from the real world by their parents and go mental from the sudden freedom, and the WIT is not just a place for low achievers to continue on my self and two siblings attended the WIT all of us got over 430 in our leaving and have continued onto to masters!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

I hope you didn't get any tar on you writing that.

Do you actually mind not making shíte of my education? Cheers.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

So I'm listening to the WLR report just now and it seem VERY biased against the students. Now, granted I'm not living there but a woman is seriously making it sound that it would be "fairly normal" for students to be pissing on cars or lads walking by with bloody noses. There is no way that is the norm unless college has changed allot since I was there four years ago.

They only tried to interview students who were obviously pissed too.

A WLR report would only get 1 side. Its not really a students choice of radio station and WLR wouldnt try and get that demographic tuned in. Thats what Beat is for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Its a the local media , there isnt a hope in hell that they would produce an unbiased piece of journalism/presenting. They are just too lazy to do a proper job, and thats why they still work in local media.

Every year, they is always a few houses that cause trouble. Yet any student who lives in Templers gets treated the same. Dont forget that among all the familys getting media attention, there are other student houses also plagued by these trouble makers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Templers has been like that for as long as iv been in college (over 4 years) and seems to be gradually getting worse. The students certainly didn't come across very well in parts of that interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Maybe the only reason they interviewed drunk students is that at midnight and onwards the only students available were drunk students. Students who didn't exactly cover themselves in glory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Someone posted way back that they took the landlord of the house next door to her sisters to court and the problem was solved. And as far as I can see,the student has the right to rent a house,has a right to drink,go to college without the college monitoring their behavior. But as the legal owner of the house,surely the landlord must have some kind of responsibility to the area and neighbours as to the behavior of his tenants? The only people I would blame here are the landlords and I think the people who bought houses in good faith should get together and tackle the irrisponsible landlords.If anyone fears their actions would get them thrown out of their house they might act more civilised.And when they have to look for alternative accomodation,Mammy and Daddy might find out about their antics...

Let's be fair even if I (or I'm sure yourself) was fairly pissed we could manage to answer a few questions better then what the "students" answered today. My guess is they only asked or aired the stupid/dickhead answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Slightly off topic but...I attended WIT back in 2002 and have also attended other 'Dublin area' colleges.

As always, one experience is never representative, but you seem happy with similar generalisations so....

My time in WIT was much tougher than the university I subsequently attended. I spent two years there where we were accountable to staff (who knew us by name after a year), and who were expert and experienced in their field.

You were unable to compensate with a grade of 25% as you now can in most universities, and if you fell through the net it was on your head, you were not given a pass at faculty meetings by externs.

I've since lectured in a number of universities and have yet to see similar standards apply - if anything WIT's administrative approach is a model that universities should be aspiring to. Also - and you can take this from experience - the 'mediocrity' is distributed across the board - the difference with IT's (as above) is that it is entirely on you if you **** up. You will find similar ratios in every third level institution.

Although I believe it has some way to go before its faculty structure and graduate programmes make the cut (as with DIT), it is certainly moving in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭iphonehead

wobbles wrote: »
    Its a the local media , there isnt a hope in hell that they would produce an unbiased piece of journalism/presenting. They are just too lazy to do a proper job, and thats why they still work in local media.

Every year, they is always a few houses that cause trouble. Yet any student who lives in Templers gets treated the same. Dont forget that among all the familys getting media attention, there are other student houses also plagued by these trouble makers.

Sorry now, but the journalist concerned leaves the safety of his own house, goes out in the middle of that zoo, has the balls to confront these students and ask them questions on their patch and you say that he is too lazy to do a proper job?

I absolutely agree with the second paragraph of your post, but whether you like WLR or not, whether you think that they are biased or not, at least the guy had the balls and work ethic to go out and stand in the middle of them and produce the special report.

iphonehead wrote: »
    Sorry now, but the journalist concerned leaves the safety of his own house, goes out in the middle of that zoo, has the balls to confront these students and ask them questions on their patch and you say that he is too lazy to do a proper job?

I absolutely agree with the second paragraph of your post, but whether you like WLR or not, whether you think that they are biased or not, at least the guy had the balls and work ethic to go out and stand in the middle of them and produce the special report.

Youd swear he was going to Rwanda??
    Christ show a drunk student a microphone and theyre more likely to hump your leg then be a risk of harm

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Youd swear he was going to Rwanda??
    Christ show a drunk student a microphone and theyre more likely to hump your leg then be a risk of harm

I'm trying to make the point that he is doing a proper job by going out in the middle of them, rather then staying in the comfort of his studio ringing residents associations for their opinion.

iphonehead wrote: »
    I'm trying to make the point that he is doing a proper job by going out in the middle of them, rather then staying in the comfort of his studio ringing residents associations for their opinion.

How is that a proper job? Its finding the worst example and broadcasting it as the only example

I can see it now on Sky One next Rag week. Ross Kemp: Templars Hall..... In search of Naggins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

• Advertisement

Mega Chin wrote: »
    How is that a proper job? Its finding the worst example and broadcasting it as the only example

You know what - we'll agree to differ on this one. I admire the guy for going out there.

Advertisement