Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Templars Hall ..Getting out of Hand..

• 22-09-2011 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭

Just listen to WLR this morning and a local councillor going on about the late night parties and street drink etc by "students " in and around Templars Hall Seems like things are getting out of hand there at the moment ,
    Feel sorry for the residents ,
    The knock on effect of €2 night ....

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'd assume its students drinking before going out, and not from coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Nothing to do with the €2 drinks. Last time I remember The Foundry or Harvey's weren't anywhere near Templar's Hall.

Same Templars Hall as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Just listen to WLR this morning and a local councillor going on about the late night parties and street drink etc by "students " in and around Templars Hall Seems like things are getting out of hand there at the moment ,
    Feel sorry for the residents ,

Nice One!! Always looking for a good session!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Sully wrote: »
    I'd assume its students drinking before going out, and not from coming home.

No Actually The councillor was stating it was going on till 3/4 in the morning,,He said he was invited up to see it first hand by the residents and only when up at 12 so it seems to be after the pub/club thing.
    Nothing to do with the €2 drinks. Last time I remember The Foundry or Harvey's weren't anywhere near Templar's Hall.

Same Templars Hall as always.

He also stated he witness 40 + taxi's going and coming in a short period of Time
    Taxi's help shorten the distance from Harvey's & co
    Plus € 2 drinks help have extra cash for fares.

He also stated he witness 40 + taxi's going and coming in a short period of Time. Taxi's help shorten the distance from Harvey's & co.
    Its a student night and the buses had stopped, they weren't walking in anyway. You'd see the same on a saturday night. I doubt he counted 40 taxis in fairness.
    Plus € 2 drinks help have extra cash for fares.
    So do drink deals in Tesco, and Centra, and off licences. Must have been getting out of hand due to drink deals last year then.

Templars has always been like that for at least the last 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

I say we seal it up! build a wall all around an keep the students in! it for the Americans in that film Escape from New York

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

maybe the gards could get off their arses and cut that stuff out, noise pollution, urinating in public, lock up those making noise for a night in cells and a court date, it would stop quickly then

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

For too long people have been giving out about drink prices in this country, and now that the pubs have finally seen sence, and lowered their prices, we're complaining?

Templars Hall has always been known as a Student accomodation....if i was buying a house, that's the last place i'd look to be honest.

Every year they try and find something to blame student behaviour in Templars on.

One year it was not enough security, then the gardaí weren't doing anything, then WIT weren't doing anything, now its €2 drinks in the middle of town.

Anyone who gets caught by the gardaí should be treated the same as anyone else would in town, and AFAIK thats what a lot have been saying already. Anyone who says "Sure its just students" is just making it worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Lot of good points raised in this thread. A nod in particular to mitch and eeloe.

The students, especially the 1st years are very immature and in many cases out to impress their mates. They've flown the nest and feel that they're almost expected to go a bit mad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Let's face it, we were all that age once, and imagine the carnage that would of happened if we were all given drinks(Jd and coke) for 2euro...

Student accomodation is set out for just that, accomodation for students, we all know they are going to cause havoc(have a bit of craic) from time to time, let them be, they are spending their money in the local economy, 2 euro a shot in harveys, 3-4 euro for a burger and chip in the chippers, and 4-5euro in a taxi...they are keeping people employed....

Waterford City hasn't seen nights as busy as the student nights in years...it's great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

This year really is no different. They were gettign drinks for a euro and less last year in supermarkets. I wouldn't look too much into clubs being busy...the only people who benefit from that are the DJs. The staff are over worked and under paid. The owners are not making any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I'd go along with eeloe if Templars is exclusively for student accommodation. Let the good times roll baby. If there's folks who bought houses there to live in peace then I'd not agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

I hate students with a passion.. I hit one with my car last night for being a muppet standing in-front of my car giving me the eyeball as i was trying to drive around them all falling out onto the road, it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.. and i don't regret it one bit!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Templars hall is not exclusively a student village, there is familys living there too so the gards should be doing something about it, in fairness this has been going on for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Every year they try and find something to blame student behaviour in Templars on.

One year it was not enough security, then the gardaí weren't doing anything, then WIT weren't doing anything, now its €2 drinks in the middle of town.

Anyone who gets caught by the gardaí should be treated the same as anyone else would in town, and AFAIK thats what a lot have been saying already. Anyone who says "Sure its just students" is just making it worse.

Here's a novel idea lets blame the common factor ....THE STUDENTS.....
    YES there will always be cheap beer but surely having student targeted € 2 euro nights is feeding the fire and incouraging binge drinking and all the extra hassle that comes with it

totally argee that everyone should be treated the same and saiding sure its just students is just sweeping it under the carpet ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Heathen wrote: »
    I hate students with a passion.. I hit one with my car last night for being a muppet standing in-front of my car giving me the eyeball as i was trying to drive around them all falling out onto the road, it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.. and i don't regret it one bit!

:D

Have to agree with you on that one, Where are the guards? to busy chatting up women, Ok you cant keep everyone off the road but idiots like this, and if you touch of them you are in wrong:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Right, here's my take on the whole situation out in Templar's Hall.

Every year around this time on Billy Mc's show we have the same thing with regard to the students causing havoc with their all night partying and general nuisance in these areas.

Now as far as I'm aware this problem has being going on for years.

So why is that every single year we have people ringing up complaining about the disruption.

The residents know where the problem houses are, they know who the landlords are and the students union and the college know who the students are.

Basically what I'm saying is that why havent the relevant powers i.e. the college, the union, the gardai, the local councillors and the residents put a stop to it.

The estates involved are not huge estates i.e. Templars, Woodlawn Grove and certain parts of Lismore Park

They know that in general the student night outs are on either Wednesday or Thursday night, they know that they will occur before they head out and when they come home around 2-3pm.

A dog wont refuse a bone and by that I mean that if your asked to go to a party when your that age you're not going to refuse, you're not going to pass up the opportunity of a cheap night

In the main the only people out in town on these nights in numbers are students. These nights are generally quiet elsewhere so there's no reason why the Gardai cant have an increased presence there instead of leaving it up to 4 security guards who have no powers.

The landlord of these houses should also be brought to book over this i.e. heavy fines, and bans on being able to let out their houses

The college should also take action against those involved and should have a burden of responsibility in this regard.

But as I said at the start it's not as if these nights are unexpected.

Majority of people would rather just moan and complain to Billy McCarthy or someone else than getting up doing telling someone who actually can make a difference.

Ring the gardaí, not WLR.

As one class rep in WIT suggested a while back, if a student is arrested and the residents/gardaí contact WIT, and they aren't being charged, ring the mammy at home and let her know what her son/daughter was up to. That'll shut em up pretty fast. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Upgrade to a university and the new brilliant scholars will stop the underclassmen and women from this behavior....lmfao

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Surely the €2 drinks keeps all the action in the centre of town rather than in houses. You might go back to a house after the disco, but no-one organises a full-blown house party at 3 in the morning.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I have seen the results some of the parties in the houses in Templars hall and the results could only be classed as pure carnage.

3 houses were absolutely wrecked 2 years ago in the period of 3-4 months by various groups of students who were having parties their respective houses.

Partition walls were kicked in, sinks pulled off walls, carpets ripped up, windows broken, kitchen press doors ripped off their hinges.

Legal action was taken by some of the landlords but the person who was tasked with repairing the damage basically said, some of the landlords didn't give a damn about who lived there or what they did. Once the rent was paid and damage was paid for at the end of the day, that's all that mattered.

Very few of them live in the town, they don't know or care who their neighbours are and they certainly couldn't care less what their tenants get up to.

So unfortunately unless the locals who are suffering start doing something about it by contacting the garda or looking at their legal options, I can't see it changing anytime soon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

eeloe wrote: »
    we all know they are going to cause havoc(have a bit of craic) from time to time, let them be,

Damage to personal property and keeping people up till 4-5am is not having "abit of craic" as you put it, its extremely disruptive to people trying to lead their lives and just go to work and make a living. Many of these people also have children.

Residents of ANY area are entitled to peace and quiet after 11pm at night as per the law,

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Cabaal wrote: »
    Damage to personal property and keeping people up till 4-5am is not having "abit of craic" as you put it, its extremely disruptive to people trying to lead their lives and just go to work and make a living. Many of these people also have children.

Residents of ANY area are entitled to peace and quiet after 11pm at night as per the law,

Very True, But isnt it up to the Gardai to enforce it, wouldnt a couple of arrests or reports to WIT do something. Blaming €2 drink prices is a joke. Offies have been selling bottles of miller for 70c for years. it was near €5 a pint when i was in college. Didnt stop the same happenings in estates. Not limited to IT's Either, those fine Trinners and Ucc folk know well how to wreck a place.

If there is no consequence to one's behaviour where is the incentive to change it? There'd Be alot more concern if students had to tick that "do you have a criminal conviction" box when applying for a job after college.

If their breaking the law, they should be prosicuted in turn.Thats the Gaurds job. Not blame it on a business(s) which have gone against the grain and actually not robbed people for drink like the rest of the "responsable" publicans around.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Very True, But isnt it up to the Gardai to enforce it,

Noise pollution comes under the remit of the EPA, social disorder/damage etc would be under the remit of the Gardai alright.

You can get the EPA to get involved but it takes alot of time and the students won't give a monkeys
    Frankly the laws need to be changed in relation to anti-social behavior like that carried out by some students when it comes to partying as effectively residents affected but such issues are pretty much powerless.
    wouldnt a couple of arrests

I'd hope they would, but thats up to the Gardai and they are unlikely to get involved in noise pollution issues
    or reports to WIT do something.

Unless WIT are providing the accommodation I fail to see why they should get involved.....if you had a dispute with your neighbor would you report your neighbors actions to their employer for example?

If the students are over 18 they need to act like adults.
    Blaming €2 drink prices is a joke. Offies have been selling bottles of miller for 70c for years. it was near €5 a pint when i was in college. Didnt stop the same happenings in estates. Not limited to IT's Either, those fine Trinners and Ucc folk know well how to wreck a place.

Agreed in part, cheap drink is a factor when it comes to students and nights out, however as already pointed out above many of us were once students so we know what the driving forces are and cheap drink is one of them thats for sure.
    If there is no consequence to one's behaviour where is the incentive to change it? There'd Be alot more concern if students had to tick that "do you have a criminal conviction" box when applying for a job after college.

I'd imagine that might put some students off, but like dropping out of school/college etc many students both in 2nd and 3rd level don't think of the long term implications of their actions and how they will affect employment in later life.....many are just far too immature. So I'm not too sure of the risk of a criminal record will put too many people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Increase student fees!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Vigilante group ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Increase student fees!
    No doubt they will all be out protesting before the budget about how they can barely afford to go to college yet they can someone find the money to get pissed Tues/Wed/Thursday nights.

No doubt they will all be out protesting before the budget about how they can barely afford to go to college yet they can someone find the money to get pissed Tues/Wed/Thursday nights.
    Of course they can, it's €2 drinks! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Garda have to respond to noise complaints,
    There is several things they can act on,
    Noise pollution, anti social behaviour, public order.

Seems it's the same old same with the Garda, they don't arrest so no paper work.

The WIT should be held more accountable, they do increase staff numbers out there for RAG week etc so why not now,on saying that it's mainly volunteers from the SU with little or no security experience

Advertisement