Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Just to announce that post race beers will be in McGrattans as per last year, you are all expected and welcome! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Just to announce that post race beers will be in McGrattans as per last year, you are all expected and welcome! :)

Now, when you say post race, do you mean immediately post race, or later that day?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

run44 wrote: »
    Now, when you say post race, do you mean immediately post race, or later that day?

Immediately post race. The pub is about 300m from the finish area. No stairs, hot food, plenty of seats, everybody else is wearing their medals and new-but-sweaty finishing tops too. :D

run44 wrote: »

Take the time to collect your medal, you've earned it, then get yourself in to buy Ray a pint ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Take the time to collect your medal, you've earned it, then get yourself in to buy Ray a pint ;)

In case Ray has too much hands to shake, backs to clap i offer to assist in the drinking of pints that have been bought for him.

I know, i know, its very good of me but i feel that i should take this one for you all out there (wipes tear from eye):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

hey everyone
    I have had a bit of a groin/quad strain for the past two weeks. I did 20 miles on the 10th sept and only did one 3 mile run from then till the half on sat 17th. I got through the half. Leg was achy but not too bad. Anyway haven't run since sat. I have been to see a sports therapist and i have been stretched and rubbed and i am going again tonight as its no better. I am not sure what i am asking really or if i am just looking for re-assurance. If i don't get any runs in this week and no LSR, where does that leave me for next week. How much of an LSR should i do when i get back. I am hoping after tonight a miracle will happen and i will wake up cured :rolleyes: I know the marathon is 6 weeks away and i should be fine. Did i do my 20 miler too soon and will it still stand to me. I am just p****ed off really that i can't run. things were just going far too well :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Nules10 wrote: »
    hey everyone
    I have had a bit of a groin/quad strain for the past two weeks. I did 20 miles on the 10th sept and only did one 3 mile run from then till the half on sat 17th. I got through the half. Leg was achy but not too bad. Anyway haven't run since sat. I have been to see a sports therapist and i have been stretched and rubbed and i am going again tonight as its no better. I am not sure what i am asking really or if i am just looking for re-assurance. If i don't get any runs in this week and no LSR, where does that leave me for next week. How much of an LSR should i do when i get back. I am hoping after tonight a miracle will happen and i will wake up cured :rolleyes: I know the marathon is 6 weeks away and i should be fine. Did i do my 20 miler too soon and will it still stand to me. I am just p****ed off really that i can't run. things were just going far too well :(

You have a great base of training behind you so I wouldn't worry to much to be honest. You have plenty of long runs in and plenty of time to recover. Just don't try to compensate for lost runs when you get back running.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Nules10 wrote: »
    hey everyone

Aw sorry to hear you arent cured yet Nules10 :(. I know that you must be going mad sitting around. But seriously, you havent missed any training sessions up till now. You have banked all those miles in the legs. Seriously this is not going to impact on your overall goal. Keep up with the icing etc once you finish with the PT tonight and hopefully Sat you will be in better shape. I will take it handy on Sat with you and you can see how you are feeling. Chin up girl...this is only a very minor setback :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Bit of a dilemma. Money is a bit tight at the moment. So its either a new pair of runners or Athlone 3/4. Runners are okay at the moment but will probably need a new pair before the marathon. Could also do with doing a race its been a while and my last one was a disaster.

Also chin up Nules everything will work out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Thanks Dave. Re your situation I knew I would need new runners before the marathon and was advised to get them sooner rather than later to break them in. Depends on if you feel you need to break runners in. But if it were me I would go with the runners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Nules, sorry to hear about your injury, but your training up to now has been so solid, I can't imagine you'll have any setback because of it. Must be stressful at this stage though, so I hope it clears up for you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mlyj

In a kinda related subject... I know there is no medical advise but I want people opinions on blisters / socks..

Current training for my first Marathon (DCM).. I usually do three / four 10 k + mid week runs and normally one 25 / 30+ k run at the weekend.

My problem is one foot keep blistering - I've tried lots of different socks but still get blisters..

I have three different pairs of trainers ( all Asics ) so I don't think that's my problem

Any suggestion or advise would be greatly appreciated

Blisters are usually caused by some combination of heat, wet, and friction.
    If it's only on one foot, I guess that foot is smaller, so your shoes are looser, creating friction? You could try lacing your shoes a different way to keep them tighter? Wearing 1000 mile socks (they are thicker, and in two layers, so the friction is between the layers not between your sock and foot)? Putting bodyglide on your feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

mlyj wrote: »
    In a kinda related subject... I know there is no medical advise but I want people opinions on blisters / socks..

Current training for my first Marathon (DCM).. I usually do three / four 10 k + mid week runs and normally one 25 / 30+ k run at the weekend.

My problem is one foot keep blistering - I've tried lots of different socks but still get blisters..

I have three different pairs of trainers ( all Asics ) so I don't think that's my problem

I find the Hilly double skin socks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

body glide on the area worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I was getting a lot of blisters on the very middle of my forefoot. I roll of zinc-oxide tape sorted that right out. Cheaper than socks too and about 2.50 a roll.
    I find the 1000-mile twin layer socks very cloying on the feet, leading to more sweat (and possibly more blisters) rather than wicking it away, like the single layer ones.

edit: the ZO tape is great for preventing nipply chafing too. I wear a serious amout of tape on long runs :-)

mummy.gif

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

edit: the ZO tape is great for preventing nipply chafing too. I wear a serious amout of tape on long runs :-)

I just position my heart rate monitor over the nipps, so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭netmann

I've found using foot powder in your socks works to prevent blisters. Played a lot of football previously and suffered quite a bit with blisters until I used foot powder.

This is something I've been thinking/slightly worried about for a bit.

As far as I understand things:
    • My body can store about 2000 calories as glycogen to be used before needing to be refuelled
    • I use approx 130 calories per mile of running (according to Garmin watch)
    • Marathon is 26.2 miles, hence will require ~3400 calories
    • Gels/powerbars have about 125 calories
    • Most people are saying you need 3/4 gels during the marathon (from another thread)
    So, if I start with my full complement of 2000 calories and take 4 gels during the run, that leaves me short about 8/900 calories (~5/6 miles).

Where do I get the rest of calories that I need ? Should i be worried ? Should i pack some sambos in a lunchbox to eat on the way ? :D

• Advertisement

That's where your long runs come in, you use up your stores of glycogen and teach the body to store more but they also teach your body to burn fat as a fuel source more efficiently. (You have almost unlimited fat stores)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

This is something I've been thinking/slightly worried about for a bit.

As far as I understand things:
    • My body can store about 2000 calories as glycogen to be used before needing to be refuelled
    • I use approx 130 calories per mile of running (according to Garmin watch)
    • Marathon is 26.2 miles, hence will require ~3400 calories
    • Gels/powerbars have about 125 calories
    • Most people are saying you need 3/4 gels during the marathon (from another thread)
    So, if I start with my full complement of 2000 calories and take 4 gels during the run, that leaves me short about 8/900 calories (~5/6 miles).

Where do I get the rest of calories that I need ? Should i be worried ? Should i pack some sambos in a lunchbox to eat on the way ? :D

You are not taking into consideration that some of the glycogen is used by the aerobic system to convert body fats into a usable energy form for your muscles.

Doing slow LSRs and taking the min amount of gels/food during them, the more efficient that that system will be on race day.

(You have almost unlimited fat stores)

ehm, what are you trying to say ?? :D

ehm, what are you trying to say ?? :D

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

That's where your long runs come in, you use up your stores of glycogen and teach the body to store more but they also teach your body to burn fat as a fuel source more efficiently. (You have almost unlimited fat stores)

And this it's why it's vital to run your LSR's slowly (the clue is in the S).
    If you run your LSR's fast, your body burns glycogen only which will last you for 18 miles no problem. If you run your LSR's slow in training (encouraging fat burning) your body should become accustomed to fat burning as a fuel source and hence will be able to burn a mixture of glycogen and fat on the day (even at a faster pace) thus ensuring you avoid 'the wall'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Is it silly to try to run the marathon without gels ? It will be my first marathon. My long run is at 16 miles - heading for 18 this weekend hopefully. No problem with running them slow - it's the only pace I have :rolleyes: I've never tried gels and can't imagine eating or taking anything except water when running. Am I looking for trouble ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

kit3 wrote: »
    Is it silly to try to run the marathon without gels ? It will be my first marathon. My long run is at 16 miles - heading for 18 this weekend hopefully. No problem with running them slow - it's the only pace I have :rolleyes: I've never tried gels and can't imagine eating or taking anything except water when running. Am I looking for trouble ?

I've ran marathons without gels but only when I wasn't trying to run them as fast as possible (I have paced a good few marathons this year), and even then it is much more comfortable when i take a few gels on Board.

I would certainly not be able to run a marathon optimally if I wasn't taking any gels.

kit3 wrote: »

You should try some of the isogels, they're very easy to take, just like water really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

You gotta run your lsr slow. As the lads are saying it teaches your body to use fat as an alternitive when your glycogen stores run out and its easier on you during the training so you can complete your quality sessions in one piece. Also you should deffo try the iso gels if normal gels dont suit.
    Blue in the face telling one guy i work with to slow down in his lsr. Big blow up waiting for him in the dcm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

wrote: »
    You should try some of the isogels, they're very easy to take, just like water really.

Thanks - where would I get them around Dublin city centre - will give them a go during my LSR on Saturday if I can get my hands on them tomorrow. Do you need water with them ?

Advertisement