Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    Good point, but even so you've got to expect to slow a little. I was less than a year running last year too, and went from 8.06 in the Frank Duffy to 8.15 in the half - and I really felt those extra miles in the half. The last couple of miles were hilly though, in fairness.

Yeah, the last few miles have a nice long downhill in the half this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

no, they're running a progression run -
    10k at MP+10%, 10k @ MP+5%, and the last 10k at (almost) MP.
    http://athlone3quarter.com/faq.php

And things go back to normal, phew, can't remember the last time you corrected me :)

Ooops. Think I'm way out on the training. Was running 10kms for past couple of years and entered this, my first marathon. Have done a few 15 mile runs, stuff like the Maxi Marathon, the Kilomarathon in Kildare a few weeks back, the odd traning run etc.

My problem is I get very little mileage in running each week, usually about 20-25 miles or so in 2 runs. It's not that I'm lazy - or it's only partially due to that - it's that I do a lot of trekking and climbing. So at least one day each weekend could be spent on hikes across mountains of 7 or 8 hours each, which kinda murders the legs for a couple of days. Have never run more than 16 miles, must put the head down over the next 2 or 3 weeks, really want to get a 22 miler in anyway.

Kinda hoping that the treks will stand to me, think my fitness levels are good, just concerned that hiking and general fitness might not easily translate into miles on the roads at all. Was gonna try pitching it at 4.15 or so, can do 16 miles in 2.15 but entering the great unknown after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Mr Slow wrote: »
    And things go back to normal, phew, can't remember the last time you corrected me :)

RECOVERY RUNS, YOU'RE DOING THEM WRONG

better? :)

RECOVERY RUNS, YOU'RE DOING THEM WRONG

better? :)

I don't mind you correcting me when I offer advice, training is my own business and btw....it's working :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭maggiemissy

Turned on my ankle at lunchtime doing my 5 miler for the week, typical, hope its ok for the 1/2, have it iced up:(

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Turned on my ankle at lunchtime doing my 5 miler for the week, typical, hope its ok for the 1/2, have it iced up:(

Thats lousy maggiemissy :(. The ice will help loads but I would advice to get some Arnica cream too. It will stop the bruising. I've been using the two all wk and I am nearly better.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭maggiemissy

thanks sunflowerRo, i'm hoping it will be fine, just a bit of a twinge in it, my 1/2 is not till Sunday so I have the extra day to rest it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TiptoeMushroom

OH MY GOD!

One sleep left until the half!

This is the first run that my boyfriend won't be at!

Don't know how well i'll do at pushing myself if there is no one at the finish line waiting for me.

Ah well! Gonna go with the 2 hour pacers so if anyone else is planning that too i'll see ye tomorrow! :)

Good luck everyone running in the half tomorrow.
    There'll be a bunch of boardsies in Ryans on Parkgate Street afterwards,if anyone feels like joining us...

• Advertisement

Good luck everyone running in the half tomorrow.
    There'll be a bunch of boardsies in Ryans on Parkgate Street afterwards,if anyone feels like joining us...

+1 on this, you'll all be made feel very welcome, don't be shy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Good luck to all in the morning. Can't be there after missing a few long runs I am going to head for 18 miles in the morning. Best of luck. Roll on October 31st.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    +1 on this, you'll all be made feel very welcome, don't be shy!

Ye all heading down straight after? All sweaty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Best of luck to all in the morning. Not going to head up for this after missing a few LSR I am going to head for a 18 miles instead. Roll on October 31st and I will be able to have a few pints again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

There are a few sinks in the toilets :pac:

Savage!

If I wasn't driving i'd head in.

Would murder a bulmers after the race!

It means we get plenty of space in the pub :D

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

The chip times are online for the 1/2 today.
    102'26 for me.
    I'm happy with that.
    Great result for Ireland this morning.
    A Dubs win tomorrow would top a great weekend of sport.

Come on Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

1.48.50 in the half today. Sub 4 in the marathon might be slipping away I think.

Ill keep at it any way. Was never going to be easy. Knocked twenty minutes off my race pb for half so can't complain!

LaHaine wrote: »
    1.48.50 in the half today. Sub 4 in the marathon might be slipping away I think.

I was 1.48 and 3.58 last year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

I was 1.48 and 3.58 last year...

Ooh this...just...got...interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

LaHaine wrote: »

Your marathon time is probably somewhere between 3:55 and 4:05. A bit of work between now and then should see enough of an improvement to increase the chances of getting under the 4 hour mark.
    On the day stay with the pacers and I reckon you will get there. It wont be easy but the buzz you will get when u do it is worth the effort.

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    Vagga|||263 miles||
    Nules10|| |368.5||
    liamog|||233.5 miles||
    Concerned2|||440.33 miles||
    cr17|| |167 miles| |
    Househunter|||442 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||177miles||
    PDCAT|2 |21|232m|
    TomD101| | |200since 04/07||
    ShivDCM|||279m||
    BobMac104| | |270.05 ||
    red face dave|||142|Had a good tough 10 mile hill session today|
    Younganne|||162.5m||
    rom|| |320.63 miles||
    TiptoeMushroom|| |226.5km since June 22nd. | |
    special1977| | |122| |
    mazken|| |220.8 miles||
    run44 (Aoife)|||402.5 miles since May|
    jamesmurphy1|||240miles| |
    dylbert|||128.5||
    maggiemissy|||176 miles||
    specialk1977|||122| |
    maggiemissy| | |237 miles||

How did everyone do today?

Great day today. Well done to organisers, pacers, stewards etc. Really enjoyed the whole race.

Just wondering what everyone elses Garmin clocked the mileage at. Mine had 13.24 at the end. Am I always running less than I think :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

:mad: i wasnt on yesterday at all so didn't see this in time...pity i'd have dropped in to say hello, and like tiptoe have to drive after but would have had a few pints...of water, never have enough of the stuff....

i managed to make it to the half today....was hoping to beat last yrs 2:03 and im absolutely delighted with a time of 1:57:38. i worked hard at it and am delighted with myself.... maybe my enforced taper helped...im still on antibiotics but hope to be finished in a couple of days and back fully into marathon training!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Just wondering what everyone elses Garmin clocked the mileage at. Mine had 13.24 at the end. Am I always running less than I think :rolleyes:

i think this is normal, mine clocked 13.20....last yr at the marathon my garmin clocked 26.59m....:eek:

Younganne wrote: »
    i think this is normal, mine clocked 13.20....last yr at the marathon my garmin clocked 26.59m....:eek:

Holy God...I'll be prepared :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Vagga|||263 miles||
    Nules10|2|16 |384.5|Only got two runs in this week a 3 mile on wed and half today due to a groin strain today went well considering i wasn't going to do it. 2:07|
    liamog|||233.5 miles||
    cr17|| |167 miles| |
    Mr Abbey|||177miles||
    PDCAT|2 |21|232m|
    ShivDCM|||279m||
    BobMac104| | |270.05 ||
    Younganne|||162.5m||
    rom|| |320.63 miles||
    special1977| | |122| |
    mazken|| |220.8 miles||
    dylbert|||128.5||
    specialk1977|||122| |
    maggiemissy| | |237 miles||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Younganne wrote: »

:eek: holy moley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

Vagga|||263 miles||
    Nules10|2|16|384.5|Only got two runs in this week a 3 mile on wed and half today due to a groin strain today went well considering i wasn't going to do it. 2:07|
    liamog|||233.5 miles||
    cr17|| |167 miles| |
    Mr Abbey|||177miles||
    PDCAT|2 |21|232m|
    ShivDCM|4|32|311m|would have been amazing to break 100 in the 1/2 but delighted with 102|
    BobMac104| | |270.05 ||
    Younganne|||162.5m||
    rom|| |320.63 miles||
    special1977| | |122| |
    mazken|| |220.8 miles||
    dylbert|||128.5||
    specialk1977|||122| |