Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The WIP Fantasy Charter Discussion Thread

• 14-09-2011 2:36pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi American Football Players,
    Our request for the creation of a Fantasy Football sub-forum has been approved and is now under construction.

Many of you will remember when our AF forum lacked a charter, and we all got together and constructed one. Now we need to construct a charter for our new FANTASY FOOTBALL sub-forum.

So give it some thought, and make suggestions for that new charter here on this thread. As before, I will combine your suggestions into a charter draft, then submit it to our mods, Cmods, and Administrator Khannie for their review and approval.

So please start posting your FANTASY FOOTBALL charter suggestions on this thread now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Few ideas off the top of the head

- The Boards Fantasy football has a structured Division Format from Premier down to Division 5 right now but is open to more. Each division has a promotion and relegation format.

- Activity is key both on the forum and in your league throughout the NFL season. It only takes 5 mins to throw up a post or log in to the league and fix your team

- The Fantasy season will start from setting it up in July to the end of the NFL's regular season.

- Please keep specific division talk to the thread designated to the division

- Have Fun

Also Black Swan I will also copy and paste the required league format for all leagues so that they are all using the same format to keep it as fair for everyone. On me iphone right now thoug. If someone else can throw them up that would be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

It may be difficult to set specfic dates but even soemthing along the lines of all players have to register their interest in entering one of the Boards leagues by a certain date otherwise they can't be guaranteed a spot.

I know TO and some of the league organisers (all of whom did a great job) copped some unfair stick from people who were late in entering and got bumped down the leagues as a result.

Otherwise I'm pretty new to the whole FF thing so I'll leave it up to the vets to come up with some more issues :)

SSK wrote: »
    It may be difficult to set specfic dates but even soemthing along the lines of all players have to register their interest in entering one of the Boards leagues by a certain date otherwise they can't be guaranteed a spot.

I know TO and some of the league organisers (all of whom did a great job) copped some unfair stick from people who were late in entering and got bumped down the leagues as a result.

Otherwise I'm pretty new to the whole FF thing so I'll leave it up to the vets to come up with some more issues :)

The thing is if you set dates now it gives guys the best of 12 months to know that hey I must register my interest in fantasy football and make sure I get in on the act ahead of time. Especially if they are already now in one of the divisions. I honestly see it as a common courtesy to other members. The way I see it if you commit to something stick to it and don't let others down ye know.

But now we have the main divisions setup it means we can set proper dates this time round and we also know the NFL season is going ahead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'd break up the charter into 3 parts

1) Slimed down general boards.ie rules – perhaps from the existing American football forum (ie be civil, don’t be a thick etc)
    2) Fantasy Football forum specific rules
    3) Guide to the official boards.ie FF league structures

I’d add the following into Fantasy Football forum specific rules

1) Keep specific week to week queries/requests for advice to official weekly threads (eg if you want to ask the forum "Who should I start in week 2? Colt McCoy away to Indy or Chad Henne at home to Houston? Put it in the Week 2 thread)
    2) Each boards.ie league will have its won thread
    3) All other queries, such as draft strategy, player news, queries for keeper or dynasty leagues etc can be posted at any time

I’d add the following into FF league structures

1) At the start of July each year, a moderator (preferably one of the people running the league) will start a thread on how the boards.ie leagues will be structured. If you haven’t been part of a league before you can post in this league and mods will try an accommodate you within the existing structures, or if demand exists, a new 6th division will be created
    2) The following are the mods/admins for each league;
    (and fill that list)
    3) Each league has the following rules; (and expand that)
    4) Players who are not active will be excluded from future seasons

Oh and as the 2009 Premier Division champion I think a list of winners since we start doing the full leagues would be a nice touch too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

As regards the general rules for the running of the boards.ie leagues it would be good to get these set to avoid any issues/complaints in the off season. While we have the league settings decided and in operation (for the most part) there has to be general rules put in place.

I'm all for setting a deadline for exisiting members to confirm their interest in participating the following season. I would say end of june, at least then it gives time to reconfigure the leagues accordingly. Any interest after this date would be added to the bottom of the lists.

We would also need to set in place penalties for inactivity and also what defines inactivity. We will see every year teams with players playing on their bye weeks and that is frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I would suggest that at the end of each fantasy season there should be a thread created, stickied and locked. In this thread there would be a date for registration of interest for next season would open. This would get rid of the I didnt know we started so soon users who get thrown out of leagues. A new thread would then be opened on new registration date. New users can lodge their interest at this time. I think everyone should have to post in the registration thread instead of just sending a pm to a friend. I had heartache trying to hunt down users who had merely sent a pm to prove they were back in.

Also it should be made very clear in the charter that we dont tolerate inactivity and that there are harsh penaltys in our leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

In light of some problems this season I would like to see League GMs have to be re-elected by the other players rather than just continue ad infinitum. (Maybe this happens anyway, and apologies if it does).

I have full respect for anyone who volunteers to GM a league, it's a thankless task, but some people are cut out for it, others aren't.

Apart from that I'd just echo what others have been saying. Have a strict cut-off date for entry, decide the divisions at that time and anyone who misses the deadline is 'relegated' to the lowest division.

I'd also like to see all drafts held around the same time. I know we have to allow some flexibility, but I thought the Division 5 draft was too early as there was a lot of uncertainty about certain players that would have been removed if the draft was a week later (Manning being a case in point).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

A sticky for league settings is a must. A clear screenshot of how they should look on NFL.com I think would suffice.

As a newbie and gm of division 5, I made some mistakes setting it up, and have taken some serious flack. I have held my hand up but this is not enough for some people and that's disappointing. But trust me these minor mistakes won't be made again.

Regarding the draft date the only real way to avoid People getting upset is to set the date six monthsin advance. People will know the date and there can never be any problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

A few wee suggestions, less to do with forum rules (which I imagine is straight forward enough) and more to do with FF etiquette.

Activity - we really have to emphasise how important this is, especially to people who are new to the game. This fantasy football is nothing like Premier League FF where you can pick any player you want, and any team can have the same players. This is a thought-out process, in most cases well researched by the team's manager, culminating in an hour and a half long live draft where - like it or not - the players you end up with are YOUR players and nobody elses. Their team represents their personal opinions on not just the NFL, but the whole sport in general. The impact inactivity has on the whole league is huge - again, this isn't Premier League FF where it's simply a case of who can accumulate the most points over a season in leagues with hundreds, even thousands of participants. There is at most 16 players in our leagues, with head to head matches where your only objective is to outscore your opponent on any given week - obviously inactivity will make this a walk in the park for your opponent and will upset the rest of the league. Please, please have a think before signing up - all that is asked is that you put aside 10 minutes once a week to give your team the best shot of winning, and keeping the league on a level playing field.

Draft Dates - Drafts should take place in the week between the final preseason game and the Thursday night opener of the regular season. This gives us a window of around 6 days - it's going to be the same time every year, the first week of September. Now that we have a subforum, we can afford to have an individual thread for each league with a poll on the most suitable of these 6 days or so. Importantly, when these polls are created, they should allow multiple choice answers for those who can make any of the proposed dates. Drafts are a lot of fun, and much more exciting when there is a maximum number of participants. If you can't make the draft itself, then prerank your picks. It only takes a half hour, and will save you the hassle of digging through waiver wire scraps because the computer autopicked a kicker for your in Round 6.

Regarding actual forum rules, we should have a disclaimer that if anyone sets out to deliberately spoil a league, then they are banned from the AF forum as a whole. Inactivity wouldn't count as deliberate spoiling, but ruining a draft with obviously ridiculous picks, or making deliberately poor waiver moves/trades should be punished with a permaban.

Inactivity shouldn't be punished on the forum, but given the circumstances, those who are inactive should move to the back of the queue for all divisions for the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Hanners

There were NFL drafts done by ESPN pundits online and posted the week before the Division 5 draft so I dont see any problem with the timing. Fantasy to a point is all about calculated risk/reward, I suspect the Colts fans knew about as much as the general public about Peytons potential season availability hours before KO so that arguement is a non starter.

I joined this league for a bit of craic picking teams each week to see how I faired against others, all this GM bashing is both tiresom and futile if people didnt spend the time to look through the settings but chose instead to sit back and assume others will do all the work and then find the problems later a league is everyones responsibility

• Advertisement

Yeah, the draft date doesn't matter as long as the members of the league are OK with it. Everyone is playing with the same data. I missed mine and the autodraft selected David Garrard. He'd have been picked up by someone. Hours later he's cut. Nothing we can do about injuries, players being cut etc

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Draft Dates - Drafts should take place in the week between the final preseason game and the Thursday night opener of the regular season. This gives us a window of around 6 days - it's going to be the same time every year, the first week of September. Now that we have a subforum, we can afford to have an individual thread for each league with a poll on the most suitable of these 6 days or so. Importantly, when these polls are created, they should allow multiple choice answers for those who can make any of the proposed dates. Drafts are a lot of fun, and much more exciting when there is a maximum number of participants. If you can't make the draft itself, then prerank your picks. It only takes a half hour, and will save you the hassle of digging through waiver wire scraps because the computer autopicked a kicker for your in Round 6.

Agree 100%, especially the bit in bold.
    Hanners wrote: »
    There were NFL drafts done by ESPN pundits online and posted the week before the Division 5 draft so I dont see any problem with the timing. Fantasy to a point is all about calculated risk/reward, I suspect the Colts fans knew about as much as the general public about Peytons potential season availability hours before KO so that arguement is a non starter.

I'm sorry, but once Manning stopped practicing on the monday it put serious doubt about his availability, far more than had been there prior to then. Anyway, its only an example of how things can change rapidly, so why the rush to draft? There was no need for it.

Also the ESPN pundit thing is a crock. They are posting up their picks on a particular day. If you look on twitter, they all did their 'real' drafts a couple of days before kick off.

Benimar wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but once Manning stopped practicing on the monday it put serious doubt about his availability, far more than had been there prior to then. Anyway, its only an example of how things can change rapidly, so why the rush to draft? There was no need for it

By that rationale, there's no need to draft so soon to the kick off date either. Everyone has the same date so its up to you to make the decision on whether you'd like to gamble on an injured player or not. You're not competing with other leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭darklighter

My two cents:
    • Draft should be between final pre-season game and opening night
    • July 1st deadline to say whether your in or not for the coming season
    • Inactivity you get demoted to the bottom league the following year (as pointed out by others, it only takes 5 or 10 minutes a week to be involved)
    • Sticky with league settings to avoid any possible confusion going forward
    • Sticky with standard boards etiquette etc
    • Sticky with the history of who's won what when (we all love seeing our names in lights :D)

Dodge wrote: »
    By that rationale, there's no need to draft so soon to the kick off date either. Everyone has the same date so its up to you to make the decision on whether you'd like to gamble on an injured player or not. You're not competing with other leagues.

I agree there is no need, but I thought we were looking for suggestions here? My suggestion is that all Divisions should draft around the same time, and in the week after the final pre-season game. Toms comments above are in line with what I'm suggesting.

Benimar wrote: »
    I agree there is no need, but I thought we were looking for suggestions here? My suggestion is that all Divisions should draft around the same time, and in the week after the final pre-season game. Toms comments above are in line with what I'm suggesting.

it was just not that simple mate....I wanted to do it midweek but a couple of people came back and they couldnt make it....sunday night was best. I couldnt make sunday 4th, so that was out. Being GM does have its perks amongst all the abuse you take from a bunch of goons.....

it was just not that simple mate....I wanted to do it midweek but a couple of people came back and they couldnt make it....sunday night was best. I couldnt make sunday 4th, so that was out. Being GM does have its perks amongst all the abuse you take from a bunch of goons.....

I suppose I should go easy on you, after all it was one of your mistakes that cost Molly Cadillac Williams and put him on my team ;)

abuse is a bit much, you have taken criticism for mistakes you made (deservedly so). I would hope we can all move past this and enjoy the season.

Just cos you're a GM doesnt mean you can discount a certain evening to draft because you cant make it. Whatever the most convenient evening for the majority of the league is the evening you choose and if you cant make that evening then so be it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

You shouldn't have called off the draft just beacause you couldn't make it. As GM its your responsibility to do what's best for the league as a whole, not just yourself. Tuesday the 6th was the most popular date for division 2. I set this as the draft date even though I knew I wouldn't have internet access at the time. It should be majority rules when it comes to these things IMO

lads relax, that was a joke.....ffs....

the league was filled in mid august and the date of 29th was agreed by all parties bar one, who said he couldnt make it. He resigned from the league.

• Advertisement

abuse is a bit much, you have taken criticism for mistakes you made (deservedly so). I would hope we can all move past this and enjoy the season.

Just cos you're a GM doesnt mean you can discount a certain evening to draft because you cant make it. Whatever the most convenient evening for the majority of the league is the evening you choose and if you cant make that evening then so be it

have you seen my pms?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Hanners

Lads theres more hurlers on the ditch in D5 than a Ballyhales match. We all should have checked the settings, its all our league and lack of awareness during the draft of the number of positions to be filled and now the settings should have been delt with either before the deaft or in the 10 days before the league started not now days before weeks 2

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭darklighter

Hanners wrote: »
    Lads theres more hurlers on the ditch in D5 than a Ballyhales match. We all should have checked the settings, its all our league and lack of awareness during the draft of the number of positions to be filled and now the settings should have been delt with either before the deaft or in the 10 days before the league started not now days before weeks 2

Very true :mad:

I do hold myself responsible as much as the GM is, because i have learned to my cost previously:

"Assumption is the mother of all f*ck ups" (Prize for whoever names the movie - without using google)*

Whats done is done, we move on.

*Note - there is no prize

Very true :mad:

I do hold myself responsible as much as the GM is, because i have learned to my cost previously:

"Assumption is the mother of all f*ck ups" (Prize for whoever names the movie - without using google)*

Whats done is done, we move on.

*Note - there is no prize

Bad guy on the train in under siege 2:D (talk about way off topic)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Is it not also in Lock Stock..?

From next year could we implement a system whereby people would use their boards username as their team name on NFL.com or at least maintain a thread where people can see what boardsie they are playing against ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

adrian522 wrote: »
    Is it not also in Lock Stock..?

From next year could we implement a system whereby people would use their boards username as their team name on NFL.com or at least maintain a thread where people can see what boardsie they are playing against ?

I'd say the idea in most peoples heads is that each league will have it's own thread with all this information in the OP.

The defined rules:

ruless.jpg

When it comes to scoring it is the NFL.com Fantasy default scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭Raoul

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    I'd say the idea in most peoples heads is that each league will have it's own thread with all this information in the OP.

Yeah this needs to be done, should be up to the commish in each league to pm everyone to get back to him with their team name. Do up a simple excel sheet with a list of everyones team and their username beside them and stick it in the op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Fantastic that FF will be getting it's own sub-forum, well done to all who campaigned for it.

A couple of points (which we experienced first hand in Division 2 last year) I would like considered for the rules charter going forward would be:

* The option of the league voting on trades. For the most part I see trades come and go and there is no problem, but there have been some real head-scratchers. It would also mean we could stop any abuse of the system.

* Consensus on what to do when a team is abandoned mid-season. Does the GM take over and put what he considers the strongest team out for the remainder? Swapping out bye week and injured players but staying away from the waiver wire and transfers?

* Lastly (and I know this seems a bit miserable and paranoid - but again, we did experience it) what happens when a player dumps his team of starters back into the waiver pool - last year the GM/league of Div2 voted that nobody would try to acquire the players, they were put back into the team and the manager in question was locked out of his team for the remainder of the season.

All a bit specific,I know, but if we're going to lay out the rules and sticky them, why not try to cover all bases?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

poldebruin wrote: »
    All a bit specific,I know, but if we're going to lay out the rules and sticky them, why not try to cover all bases?
    Specifics are exactly what we need from all our members before drafting this charter and guidelines, and opening the FANTASY FOOTBALL forum. So please everyone be specific. Make attempts to write all or parts of this charter, then we can all review and comment.

Advertisement