Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex Katia storm thread - TECHNICAL DISCUSSION, FORECASTS AND OBSERVATIONS ONLY!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

At 72 hours a significant storm in our southwest approaches.

And a significant remnant of a hurricane

Rtavn721.png

GFS plays around with this filling then reintensifying.

Lots of changes to come i suspect!

The precip stays well to our northwest in this run though.

Rtavn1021.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

cross-posted from Hurricane Katia thread

I have the feeling that reader interest will swing from this thread to the "Monday threat" thread so I plan to post forecast discussions related to Ireland in that thread from now on.

Katia came very close to ocean buoy 41044 last night and at one point around 06-07z the buoy was in the eastern eyewall and reporting wind gusts to 93 knots or 107 mph.

Katia seems to have regained a bit of strength in the past 18 hours and looks to be heading slightly east of due north near 70 W, about to be swept into the fast flow extending from south of Nova Scotia to north of Ireland.

The NHC gives a Monday 12z position at 59.5N 10W on its latest outlook which would place the strongest winds around 57N 8W but the GFS has the centre just about in that position which would place the strongest winds over Donegal. Since the GFS depiction may be slightly weaker than the NHC's implied map intensity (from their maximum winds) I would estimate the GFS 12z charts to be predicting sustained winds near 55 mph and gusts near 80 mph or 70 knots from 0600 to 0900 Monday. A storm as strong as the NHC forecast in the GFS position would give sustained 60 mph, gusts 90 mph or near 80 knots.

Will be making more extensive model comparisons later on this thread.

GEM shows an intense storm heading across Donegal Bay on a track about 1-2 deg south of the GFS. If it verified, it would create a severe storm across almost all of Ireland on Sunday night into Monday. Winds could gust as high as 80 mph in many regions and to 100 mph in coastal west and northwest as well as exposed higher inland sites, from the map depiction. The key element is a very strong jet stream forced south by phasing of an arctic vortex dropping southeast towards the Rockall marine zone at storm time. With the recent good form of this model, and with the GFS trending in a similar direction, the situation looks very ominous to me. Bear in mind also, comparing RGEM to GGEM (regional 48 hour on a finer scale, global on a coarser grid) the 48h pressure difference near Newfoundland is 5 mbs, meaning the actual storm captured on a finer model grid is then 5 mbs deeper. So the depicted 966 mb low for Monday 12z could be closer to 960 mbs. (position on that about 56N 7W).

UKMO due around 9 p.m.

ECM due around 9:30 p.m.

NOGAPS due around 10 p.m.

Will edit this post for GEM results but anticipating a number of other posts will post the UK, ECM and NOGAPS input together around 10 p.m.

UKM is out but i dont use the UKM as i think it is too coarse.

I await ECM and GEM

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z GEM...

30dky6s.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

NOAA gives us a 1 in 4 chance of hurricane status as it approaches, and a high proability of a tropical storm.

173712.gif

The GEM would bring a really strong core of winds to much of Ireland and of particular note, the capital would be struck very hard.

Its position and movement is almost ideal for intense winds in the greater Dublin region.

Just one run of one model and at T+96hrs, a long way to go before it could come off.

96hr ECM

The storm does fill and is |975 at its core but the position of Ex Katia has been pushed
    sig further south. With strong winds in the region.

ECM1-96.GIF?08-0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Some people I talked to today didn't even hear about the storm coming.
    If it is going to be dangerous I hope people will be aware and with the uncertainty the media might not like to put themselves out for criticism.

Somebody just said to me that there will be snow from October onwards though :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I better start printing my 'I survived Ex-Hurricane Katia' tee-shirts, pronto, like .. :)

Calculating how much to charge and how much fuel to Donegal ...

• Advertisement

Damaging winds would still result from that ECM 96hr.

I would anticipate gusts to max 65mph overland and max 75mph on west coast.

An important thing to note as this system appears it will take a closer hit at the country
    is that trees are still fully covered. There will be significant numbers of fallen trees even
    if a weak system pushes through.

A few days ago, a number of large branches fell in the high winds. The max gust recorded
    at DUB AIR was 43 knots or circa 47mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Pangea wrote: »
    If it is going to be dangerous I hope people will be aware and with the uncertainty the media might not like to put themselves out for criticism.

Remember Tomas last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Should we be practicing our looting??

12Z ECM seems to fill it rapidly. GFS and GEM not showing that happening, looks a bit off to me. 0Z runs will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

well there goes my plans for staying in youghal next week.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Some people I talked to today didn't even hear about the storm coming.

Somebody just said to me that there will be snow from October onwards though :rolleyes:

It'll probably be reported on the RTE Weather tonight or tomorrow. Met Eireann have already forecast severe or damaging gusts countrywide for Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

It'll probably be reported on the RTE Weather tonight or tomorrow. Met Eireann have already forecast severe or damaging gusts countrywide for Monday.

There was a warning on Jean Byrnes forecast before 7.
    She said very strong winds but didn't elaborate really.

There was a warning on Jean Byrnes forecast before 7.
    She said very strong winds but didn't elaborate really.

They're probably afraid it might turn out to be a damp squib :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

High tide is 6.30am Monday for Donegal Bay. What can we expect as regard as storm surge ?

A closer look at the 12Z GEM...

zl8cx.gif

And sustained surface winds :

2uyo9pf.gif

The max there are 45 knot wind barbs. That would be force 9 gales inland in places, with higher gusts.

That's only based on that one model run though. Not saying that is what is actually going to happen.

• Advertisement

My take on the ECM is that the intermediate position between Sunday 12z and Monday 12z maps would suggest concern even if the storm weakens as depicted by 12z. The implied 06z position in Donegal Bay is similar to GFS-GEM composite. The UKMO seemed to lose the storm again after locating it briefly on the Sunday map.

In general, the trend has me very concerned and I have upgraded the wording of the Boards forecast in the form of an advance alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

What are the chances if any this could disrupt flights on Monday morning ?

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Saw RTE weather tonight and no sense of impending danger at all! Reading this thread I am much more concerned and excited :eek: but if there is a potential for damage I can't believe ME didn't allude to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Saw RTE weather tonight and no sense of impending danger at all! Reading this thread I am much more concerned and excited :eek: but if there is a potential for damage I can't believe ME didn't allude to it.

They're scared to put it out there until it's closer I'd imagine. It could change quite a bit compared to what the models say at the moment. If it is still showing come Saturday morning they'll probably pull the trigger on it for the forecasts all weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

But they did give a warning,here is a still of Jean mention RISK OF VERY STRONG WINDS with warning triangle.

173717.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

she did say summit about the remnants of the hurricane an will keep people updated !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Media "Batten down the hatches" has begun.

http://www.herald.ie/news/hurricane-katia-heading-our-way-2870989.html

BATTEN down the hatches -- gale force winds are expected to batter Ireland as the tail-end of Hurricane Katia (circled) hits.

Winds of up to 90mph are expected out to sea off the west coast and will still be running at 70mph when they hit land.

The Category Two hurricane is now off the coast of Bermuda, but is heading for Ireland on Monday

The gales may begin as early as Sunday night and will peak on Monday morning with the coasts of Donegal, Mayo and Galway bearing the brunt.

The news comes as it was revealed Ireland is set to be under a blanket of heavy snow within weeks.

Forecasters say temperatures matching last year's record lows of -17.5C are just around the corner.

Love the bit at the end. WHO says this!? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

where did that come from??:confused:

when they say ireland, they really mean midlands and dublin, because cork and blanket of snow doesn't really mix

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Very interesting few days ahead no matter what happens, Oh i love a bit of good weather watchin i do

• Advertisement

It sounds like a blend of several different forecasting sources with the Monday storm forecast sounding rather like our Boards (and therefore IWO) forecast at present, while the early snow rumours have been floating around on various forums for weeks now, but in that case, I plead not guilty, haven't even started to think about a winter forecast yet.

I did mention to a friend in a chat section of one forum that it wouldn't surprise me if winter came a bit earlier than last year, but I'm not convinced it will dig in for a long, furious assault. It may just come and go early. That was my sketchy first thoughts about it, but I prefer to make winter forecasts in October when we have more guidance on trends in the subarctic and around the hemisphere.

The stormy first half of September would generally correlate with a cold winter, but only at a vague statistical level.

Advertisement