Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bliain Faoi Thrí

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good luck this weekend. Can't say it as gaelige. :) so rahrrrr! instead. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck this weekend. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Dude I hear you on the "subconscious self-destruct button" issue. I tend to sabotage myself from time to time. I usually pull it back just in time but who knows the amount of damage done by then and how it actually affects us come race day.

Anyway you'll be fine man, after all it's only your first year in the sport so it should be about enjoying it, just pace it well so you feel fairly good going onto the run and you will enjoy it then. Best of luck man and see you over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

It is funny reading about your self destruct button as i felt it creeping into my taper a little bit for IM. Good luck at the weekend, looking forward to the report and in particular your run split!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Nobody does Tapering like ronanmac, no mysterious injuries at least...............yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck Sunday looking forward to the RR - and congrats on the cross bay swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

backspacer wrote: »
    Tá tú beagnach ann anois Rónán, tá tú thar a bheith crua ort fhéin, tárlaíonn sé le chuile traenáil go mbeidh droch seachtain agat anois agus arís.

Ar fhaitíos nach bhfeicfidh mé thú, go n-eireoidh leat ar an Domhnach, triall mé a bheith ann má tá mé i mo shuí sách luath :D
    Go raibh maith agat, a Mháirtín, ag súil le pionnta ar an stól ard i mBóthar na Trá trathnóna Dé Domhnaigh!
    Oryx wrote: »
    Good luck this weekend. Can't say it as gaelige. :) so rahrrrr! instead. :)
    I couldn't have put it better myself!
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Best of luck this weekend. :cool:
    Thanks pgibbo. How are you set? Are you tearing it up on the day, or holding back for Barca? Racing or training?!
    Dude I hear you on the "subconscious self-destruct button" issue. I tend to sabotage myself from time to time. I usually pull it back just in time but who knows the amount of damage done by then and how it actually affects us come race day.

Anyway you'll be fine man, after all it's only your first year in the sport so it should be about enjoying it, just pace it well so you feel fairly good going onto the run and you will enjoy it then. Best of luck man and see you over the weekend.
    Cheers, El D. Looking forward to the lessons learnt from it!
    It is funny reading about your self destruct button as i felt it creeping into my taper a little bit for IM. Good luck at the weekend, looking forward to the report and in particular your run split!!
    Thanks Selah Early Seller. Strangely enough, my run split is the one I'm most unsure about. I know for certain that my swim will be 40/41 minutes. My bike should be about the three hour mark, but I've no idea what I'll be left with for the run. I guess I'll have a fair idea coming around the Swamp the third time around!
    catweazle wrote: »
    Nobody does Tapering like ronanmac, no mysterious injuries at least...............yet!

Catweazle, you wouldn't believe the amount of imaginary niggles/colds/strains/infections/tweaks I've had over the past week... okay, you probably would believe it, but with the exception of a slight groin strain that'll be long gone by Sunday, I'm surprisingly in one piece :cool:. Still plenty of time over the next few days for a full-blown injury crisis, though. I'll keep you posted ;)

Yesterday
    I went for a swim after work at Maoras, a beach I haven't swum at since I was a kid. It's best known for its two graveyards and a huge rock in the water which Saint Colmcille apparently used as a boat to come from Aran (he must have had one hell of an outboard engine to push that yoke...)
    Anyway, the physical act of the swim itself was uneventful but the location was amazing. Clear water, random rocks jutting up to a foot under the water, shoals of sprat and cormanants hanging around for their dinner. The water was really cold but the swim was more like a dive, with all the scenery. Half way through, a swell came from nowhere, adding to the adventure. I can't bear the notion of going back to the pool, but it's definitely getting colder already out west!
    Done: 1180 metres

Today
    My cousin has given my the loan of a set of Zipp 404 clinchers for Sunday, so I gave them a try out today for the first time. I've never had "fancy" wheels before, and was surprised that I could feel a noticeable difference on the bike. If nothing but for the sound they make, it'll be hard to give them back!

Route: Work to Camus and back
    Time: 1:13:39
    Distance: 34.41km
    Ave/Max Speed: 28kph/51.3kph
    Ave/Max HR: 137/182
    Ave Cadence: 81
    Weather: Strong southerly breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Wow you have a serious set of wheels now man. They do make a big difference imo.

The very best of lusk Ronan this weekend, looking forward to catching up. Are you around that evening for a few?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Best of luck ronan. Looking forward to the race report already

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good luck Rónan,
    I might go in for a nosy to see what all this HIM mullarkey is all about... if I can figure out diversions/ parking etc. I'll miss your spectacular swim though as that's just a bit too early.... unless you're really really slow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

ronanmac wrote: »
    Go raibh maith agat, a Mháirtín, ag súil le pionnta ar an stól ard i mBóthar na Trá trathnóna Dé Domhnaigh!

Cúpla seachtain eile ormsa sula mbeidh mé in ann an cúpla pionnta ar an stól ard a bheith agam:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Best of luck Ronan.

littlebug wrote: »
    I'll miss your spectacular swim though as that's just a bit too early.... unless you're really really slow :D

You're in luck there, littlebug!

As sure as night follows day, as sure as bailouts are followed by stealth taxes, as sure as El Director will forget something before a race, I've had my by-now customary pre-race injury, brought on by a dose of bad karma from Catweazle, I suspect :).
    It's the f*ckin' strangest, most pointless injury I've ever had. Walking in my bedroom last night, getting ready to go to bed, and I feel a sharp pain in the outside of my left foot. I didn't pay too much attention to it, I've had enough twinges to see them disappear again, but when I stood up this morning, I had a sharp pain up through the foot. The sharpness left after a while, and I was left with a dull pain.
    There was a physio at the expo, he checked it out and reckoned that I had damaged one of the tendons in the foot. He said there wasn't much I could do about it other than ice it and take ibuprofen, and that he would put some kenesio tape on it tomorrow to compress it.
    It's a bit painful and annoying, but the way I look at it, it won't come into play during the swim and the bike, and by the time I get to the run, I'll be in so much pain anyway that I won't even notice it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

What, when ... how .....? Sorry to hear that. If the pain reduces after you are up for a while it might be one these problems you stop noticing after you warmup ( like my endlessly dodgy knee) so by the time you hit the run it might not be an issue. Best of luck.

At least you have medical proof of this injury - lets hope it wont be any hindrance tomorrow.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well Ronan,

Thats sounds like a nice swim across the bay, well done - a nice goal to have ticked off.
    Tomorrow I am sure you will do a great job of ticking off your next one! Hope the niggle stays as just that.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Will be wishing you and your foot well. Mines done and dusted so I can sit back and put my feet up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Go n-éirí leat féin ar maidin, agus um thráthnóna. Beidh mé ann go luath ag tabhairt tacaíochta roimh mo rith!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

ronanmac looking solid after the first transition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

ronanmac looking solid after the first transition!

and very focused coming up to the finish line! Now we just need the details!

How's the body today? Jaysus my heart went out to you in that tent when you realised someone had taken your T1 bag. Nasty one. Luckily you didn't lose too much time.

ROAAAANNNNMACCCCCC YOU'RE AN IRONMANNNNNNNNN

IMG_0774.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Excellent colour co-ordination as well - even down to the run wristbands - class act!

Great time Mac-I bet looking at your result you regret losing the extra second grandstanding at the finish when you see who you deadheated with :D

Izoard wrote: »
    Excellent colour co-ordination as well - even down to the run wristbands - class act!

You'll be glad to hear that the shoes were also shade-perfect :o

catweazle wrote: »
    Great time Mac-I bet looking at your result you regret losing the extra second grandstanding at the finish when you see who you deadheated with :D

Cheers (and thanks for posting the ever-so-slightly over-exuberant photo, you boll*x!). I noticed the dead heat alright, I can't get over his bike time, very impressive improvement.
    Happy with the day, I'll write a report later (my brain is today at 7% operational capacity and I need that 7% to get through the work day!).

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

ronanmac wrote: »
    Cheers (and thanks for posting the ever-so-slightly over-exuberant photo, you boll*x!). I noticed the dead heat alright, I can't get over his bike time, very impressive improvement.
    Happy with the day, I'll write a report later (my brain is today at 7% operational capacity and I need that 7% to get through the work day!).

I'm guessing that the other 93% was fried by the pints so :D

• Advertisement

His bike improvement came because he was on a borrowed TT bike with a rear disc wheel. He fairly hammered it and was damn happy with his bike split. He wasn't happy about losing the advantage he normally has in the swim though!

Advertisement