Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bliain Faoi Thrí

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

17 July
    Long bike ride, but it’s a gale outside. Instead, it’s up on the trainer for a double header of the Big Lebowski and South Park: The Movie. This is the longest I’ve ever spent in the saddle. Wasn’t non-stop, though, with a quick toilet break on hour one, and hour two.
    The distance and speed was measured by the Garmin cadence thingy, but I’ve serious doubts about the accuracy of this on the trainer. The figures below will tell you why!
    Distance: 132.87km
    Time: 3:00:00
    Ave/Max Speed: 44.2kph/60.5kph
    Ave/Max HR: 108/136

18 July
    Working in Kerry, stopped off in the pool on the way home. The sea in Croatia felt warmer!
    Done:
    300m warm up
    2000m
    300m cool down

19 July
    Intervals on the bike. I think the fine weather on holiday has spoilt me as any breeze is now a gale, and it’s up onto the trainer. This afternoon’s viewing is Nacho Libre, a coincidentally perfectly timed 1:25 duration!
    Distance: 62.22km (with 7 x 3min flat out)
    Time: 1:26:37
    Ave/Max Speed: 43.1kph/66.7kph
    Ave/Max HR: 119/162

Yesterday
    Couldn’t find the Garmin. Hour and a half cycle of moderate intensity called for in the training plan. A bit breezy, but time to cop myself on and go back outside!
    Route: Home to Leitir Mealláin and back
    Distance: 46km
    Time: 1:29
    Ave/Max Speed: 31kph

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Welcome back to the sunny climbs of Ireland Ronan:D Thought i spotted you motoring up Doire Fhearta on the bike last night as i was heading home to the Islands, looking like a man possessed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

ronanmac wrote: »
    Ah, now! Twice in a year and the first was an in-law's birthday trip! It means I have to stay local for my A race, instead of disguising jaunts to Barcelona as races :D
    A good holiday, delighted to be back to our fine temperate climate of low winds and a steady 24 degrees centigrade :rolleyes:

LMAO....Welcome back dude. I was only asking CW on Tuesday what the story was with you as I hadn't seen any log updates. Looks like you got a nice bit of training in too! :cool: Fair play for clocking those distances across all 3 whilst on a family holiday. Can't be easy keeping everyone happy. I guess that's why you were swimming at 5:45 in the morning! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Great stuff on the OW swimming and the consistent training.
    Feck them for swiping your phone!

When's the next race for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

pgibbo wrote: »
    Enjoy the holiday. Man, you get some amount of holidays in! :D

I remember making the same observation last year and suggested he may well be in the public service! After a severe tongue lashing he eventually admitted he was semi state ;)

No doubt one of those lads on 250,000 +

• Advertisement

Macanri wrote: »
    Great stuff on the OW swimming and the consistent training.
    Feck them for swiping your phone!

When's the next race for you?
    Next race is Brian Boru Olympic on August 6, my first attempt at Olympic distance. I've been worried about the swim but the holiday was definitely a help on that front. From what I hear, it's a pretty tough bike ride...
    catweazle wrote: »
    I remember making the same observation last year and suggested he may well be in the public service! After a severe tongue lashing he eventually admitted he was semi state ;)

No doubt one of those lads on 250,000 +

My holidays are merely a reflection of how hard I work :D

Swim this morning. Cramped up during the last of the kick set at the end. Big calf knot! That's what I get for ignoring the interval sessions in my programme!

Done:
    300m warm up
    8 x 25m drills
    7 x 100m moderate
    5 x 100m max
    8 x 25m kicks
    300m cooldown
    Total: 2200m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

My holidays are merely a reflection of how hard I work :D

You must be a very hard worker so:)....3 weeks you jammy git i have to make do with 2 weeks for the main summer holidays.

You must be a very hard worker so:)....3 weeks you jammy git i have to make do with 2 weeks for the main summer holidays.

No overtime pay, time off in lieu instead. Being brought in for weekends here and there accumulates some handy extra days off over time!

Next race is Brian Boru Olympic on August 6, my first attempt at Olympic distance. I've been worried about the swim but the holiday was definitely a help on that front. From what I hear, it's a pretty tough bike ride...

You have acomplished the distance in the swimming now so that's great. It's a great motivator to sign up to the bigger distance to near force yourself to up the effort, apprehension, confidence, - so you have no choice but to bite the bullet and get the distance done - I was the exact same last year. Fair play to ya.
    I have no doubt that you will manage fine on that bike of yours too! - and still be able to hammer out a great time on the run. Keep up the good work.

• Advertisement

Friday
    Morning tempo run. Didn't feel as bad as anticipated but, as always in the AM, well off the prescribed pace...

Route: Cladhnach and back
    Distance: 9.66km
    Time: 43:01
    Average Pace: 4:27
    Weather: Cool but dry

Was to go swimming in the PM but catching up with wild post-holiday lawn, and grouting paving around the house, put paid to that. Lawn now under control, lots of grouting still to be done...

Saturday
    An interesting cycle, if only for keeping an eye on HR and all that. I went out at a steady clip for the first half, and faded badly in the second half (10 minutes slower getting home, despite a headwind so slight that you could only notice it on a bike, not even the tall grass by the side of the road was moving!). Anyway, it made me think about pacing the bike a bit better so I'm going to have to look at hear rate and effort. I'm still very new to cycling anything longer than 40k!

Route: Aird Mhóir and back
    Distance: 79.8km
    Time: 2:40:24
    Ave/Max Speed: 29.8kph/52.4kph
    Ave/Max HR: 143/160
    Ave/ Max Cadence: 83/110 (my cadence really seems to slow down as I get tired)
    Weather: Lovely still morning, couldn't be a nicer day for cycling.

Sunday
    As depressing as the weather has been for a while, it's days like today that makes me appreciate where I live. Great cycling routes (if not road surface:(), loads of little roads for running and no shortage of clean beaches near the house. A good day's training in good weather.
    AM
    Brick session:
    Bike
    I tried to pace this spin better, using HR. The ideas was to let the HR up to zone 3 for the first half, and up to 3.5 in the second half. I reckon it worked, I felt fresher coming off the bike but at a cost of average speed however. All that said, my zones are a bit makey-upey. For starters, they are taken from a 5k run effort as opposed to a bike effort, plus they are probably dated by now.

Route: Maam Cross and back
    Distance: 52.9km
    Time: 1:47:06
    Ave/Max Speed: 29.6kph/47.9kph
    Ave/Max HR: 134/150
    Ave/ Max Cadence: 83/198
    Weather: Cool but perfectly still

Run
    I almost always train by pace, but I abandoned the Furman training plan for this weekend and replaced the run with the brick session in the triathlon plan. It called for 45 minutes at moderate intensity. I wasn't sure how to judge that, so I just went out for the run. The legs weren't bad coming off the bike. Can't remember sweating so heavily in a run.

Route: Trá an Dóilín, Rinn, Páirc an Chathanaigh and back
    Distance: 9.84km
    Time: 45:00
    Average Pace: 4:34
    Weather: Warm

PM
    Late enough by the time I got down to the beach. My first open water swim since holidays and although Croatia is unsurprisingly warmer, it definitely has warmed up since I last swam. It was also the first time in a long time since I've worn the wetsuit. Looking at the 250m splits from the Garmin and comparing them with Croatia, there's a big difference in the swim speed while wearing the suit... which is just as well as I was figuring I'd be doing well to come out of the water in under an hour for the HIM!

Done: 2080 metres at Trá an Dóilín

Bike this morning, 2 x 14min threshold effort. Can't figure the wind (as slight as it is) these days. I go west, it's an easterly, I go east, it's a westerly...
    I suspect that I didn't put enough effort into this workout.

Route: Indreabhán and back
    Distance: 39.92km
    Time: 1:19:34
    Ave/Max Speed: 30.1kph/46.9kph
    Ave/Max HR: 139/162
    Ave/ Max Cadence: 82/107
    Weather: Cool, calm morning.

Bike this morning, 2 x 14min threshold effort. Can't figure the wind (as slight as it is) these days. I go west, it's an easterly, I go east, it's a westerly...
    I suspect that I didn't put enough effort into this workout.

Are you doing these off RPE rather than HR? I assume so, otherwise you would know what threshold is.

Just back from a pedal myself and it's a fnny wind out there today alright.

I didn't realise your club were sponsoring Joyce Wolfe and a few other athletes. Nice one.:cool:

Are you doing these off RPE rather than HR? I assume so, otherwise you would know what threshold is.

Just back from a pedal myself and it's a fnny wind out there today alright.

I didn't realise your club were sponsoring Joyce Wolfe and a few other athletes. Nice one.:cool:

Yeah, RPE, I think it may be time to figure out my cycling HR zones properly instead of guessing stuff. Whereas I'm comfortable working off RPE and pace for running, I am finding it difficult to judge effort on the bike. Time for science to take a stand!

It's great to have the likes of Joyce and Derval Devaney as club members, great in terms of getting a new club known from the start, and of having valuable resources like them in the club also, regarding advice etc!

Yeah, RPE, I think it may be time to figure out my cycling HR zones properly instead of guessing stuff. Whereas I'm comfortable working off RPE and pace for running, I am finding it difficult to judge effort on the bike. Time for science to take a stand!

Might be a bit late now to make the change so close to Galway? Maybe something to work on over the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

How ya Ronan! Jezz you got through some amount of training on your holiday-fair play! I will be seeing you in Clare for Brian Boru - I'm doing the sprint, the run course looks handy :rolleyes:

If you are thinking of doing Galway by HR-I am too, it's nit that difficult to set out your zones, just have to do the 30 min test that I did the other day. Your lactate threshold HR is you ave HR for the last 20 min. If interested PM me and I will send further details.

Based on EL D's comments above - this is how I determine my HR zones also and that is how I train. However, a couple of points:

1. It's 4 to 5 weeks to Galway - I'm in a bit of a daze these days and hardly know what day it is so forgive me.
    2. It's best to test on a recovery/easy week to get the full benefit of the test.
    3. There'll be a week or two of a taper which means you'll only get a week or two using the zones.

Based on these points, and I'm sure there are other factors, is it wise to suddenly switch training protocol 4 to 5 weeks ot from your A race? If you get the test wrong, go too easy or are too tired due to training load, then your zones could be way off. If you happen to be on a down week then maybe it could work.

Personally I think it's too close to make a change like that. I'd love to hear other peoples thoughts though.

My 2c :D

How ya Ronan! Jezz you got through some amount of training on your holiday-fair play! I will be seeing you in Clare for Brian Boru - I'm doing the sprint, the run course looks handy :rolleyes:

If you are thinking of doing Galway by HR-I am too, it's nit that difficult to set out your zones, just have to do the 30 min test that I did the other day. Your lactate threshold HR is you ave HR for the last 20 min. If interested PM me and I will send further details.

Cheers for that, just noticed the test entry now. Will try that out. Send me a PM with the details if you don't mind. I'll see you in Clare!

Yesterday
    AM
    First time running on the local football pitch in a long time. Compared to the soccer pitch I had been using in Croatia, it was a carpet of soft green velvet! The side of the pitch was being used by the Irish college students, so I was glad to have the headphones in to block out the usual witty comments :rolleyes:(summer in the Gaeltacht starts with the arrival of the swallow, the call of the cuckoo, and teenage Gaelgeoirí shouting "run Forrest run" at red-faced locals!)

Route: Páirc an Chathanaigh
    Distance: 9.01km (3 x 1 mile intervals at 6:01 pace)
    Time: 39:15 (5:59, 5:49, 6:01)
    Average/Max HR: 162/180
    Weather: Drizzly but warm

PM
    Went for a club swim after work at the new pier at An Spidéal. No real distance but one of the club's better swimmers was there and he pointed a few things out about my stroke which I'll be conscious of from now on. The sea was really flat, a dead calm day, with nothing to bother us but some lads training for currach racing and plenty of jellyfish. I was surprised afterwards to feel a few stings that had come through the wetsuit. No heavy shoals of jellyfish but plenty of large Compass jellyfish to be seen.

Done: 1020m

Based on EL D's comments above - this is how I determine my HR zones also and that is how I train. However, a couple of points:

1. It's 4 to 5 weeks to Galway - I'm in a bit of a daze these days and hardly know what day it is so forgive me.
    2. It's best to test on a recovery/easy week to get the full benefit of the test.
    3. There'll be a week or two of a taper which means you'll only get a week or two using the zones.

Based on these points, and I'm sure there are other factors, is it wise to suddenly switch training protocol 4 to 5 weeks ot from your A race? If you get the test wrong, go too easy or are too tired due to training load, then your zones could be way off. If you happen to be on a down week then maybe it could work.

Personally I think it's too close to make a change like that. I'd love to hear other peoples thoughts though.

My 2c :D

Cheers for that pgibbo, I am a bit between two minds myself on the issue but here's what I'm thinking (I think!)

1. My bike training plan is based on RPE as opposed to HR, but I'm crap at judging RPE. All my running is done to pace, I like the idea of working off a more concrete guide than perceived effort.

2. Recently, I've been judging my biking by a mixture of RPE and HR zones, but HR zones that are not accurately set. I've been doing this since I've started going longer on the bike as I'm always shagged for the second half of the longer cycle, much slower, and am obviously misjudging RPE.

My thinking is to at least get the HR zones right if I am going to continue with a bastardised combination of HR and RPE. My biking has come on but it's still a long way short, and I'm afraid of over-cooking it on the day, leaving me shagged for the one discipline where I can do a decent time, the run. In hindsight, I am wondering if I have done the right thing, bike-wise, as it's only now that the mileage is being upped in the plan and it's a real eye-opener. While I was struggling to keep pace over sprint distance early in the year (Ballinrobe duathlon was an example of that), I'm more consistent now at the short stuff but definitely do not have the legs as yet for a "comfortable" long cycle.

Next week is a recovery week for me, am thinking of setting the zones on Tuesday after a day off on Monday, and use them for my debut Olympic in Killaloe a week Saturday. What do you think?

Given that you are pushing too hard based on RPE and find it hard to judge RPE then maybe you have nothing to lose by doing the test on Tuesday and trying the zones. If you do the test, do you know what zones you'll use on the bike for OLY and HIM?

I was in a similar situation for Kenmare 2 years ago. I analysed my cycles for the previous month and decided that I wouldn't let my HR go above a certain value based on the HR data I had collected. I always wore the HR strap but never used it as a guide back then. I knew if I didn't try something the run would be hell. My quads gave way in the last mile of the run so I guess I wasn't too far off the mark.

If your HR monitor fails on race day, what are you going to do? This is a concern of mine as I struggle with RPE on the bike compared to my run so I'm ted to technology on the bike which is worrying.

Not sure if that helps or not? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

If you have an easy week set for next week dude then it's no harm to do the test and set your zones according to this article
    http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2010/05/quick-guide-to-training-with-heart-rate-power-and-pace.html

IMO I think it would be a good idea to have some notion of where your HR should be especially for a HIM distance cycle, zone 3 is where I hope to be for that btw.

On the question of what happens if your HR monitor acts up on the day, you could go by RPE but you say that you are not confident of using that on the bike-well imo the use of cadence is underestimated in this situation. You should know your optimum cadence which is roughly the same as your run cadence. For me that is 83-85 rpm. So when I am out on the bike I always try to keep my cadence at 85 or slightly above. If you notice your cadence dropping-gear down, if it raises too high-gear up. I always listen to my quads too - if they are beginning to hurt - gear down. Hope this helps and I stand to be correct on any of this as I am no expert-this is just what works for me :)

Given that you are pushing too hard based on RPE and find it hard to judge RPE then maybe you have nothing to lose by doing the test on Tuesday and trying the zones. If you do the test, do you know what zones you'll use on the bike for OLY and HIM?

I was in a similar situation for Kenmare 2 years ago. I analysed my cycles for the previous month and decided that I wouldn't let my HR go above a certain value based on the HR data I had collected. I always wore the HR strap but never used it as a guide back then. I knew if I didn't try something the run would be hell. My quads gave way in the last mile of the run so I guess I wasn't too far off the mark.

If your HR monitor fails on race day, what are you going to do? This is a concern of mine as I struggle with RPE on the bike compared to my run so I'm ted to technology on the bike which is worrying.

Not sure if that helps or not? :confused:

Thanks for that, pgibbo. Your situation for Kenmare two years ago sounds very much like mine now! I'm getting a bike fitting done on Tuesday and I think I'll get the zones sorted then also.
    As for the HR failing, if it does, it does! I'll fall back on a mixture of RPE and cadence. Hopefully, it won't come to that though! The run is going to be a big unknown on the day, I've no idea how a half marathon will feel after a long bike!
    If you have an easy week set for next week dude then it's no harm to do the test and set your zones according to this article
    http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2010/05/quick-guide-to-training-with-heart-rate-power-and-pace.html

IMO I think it would be a good idea to have some notion of where your HR should be especially for a HIM distance cycle, zone 3 is where I hope to be for that btw.

On the question of what happens if your HR monitor acts up on the day, you could go by RPE but you say that you are not confident of using that on the bike-well imo the use of cadence is underestimated in this situation. You should know your optimum cadence which is roughly the same as your run cadence. For me that is 83-85 rpm. So when I am out on the bike I always try to keep my cadence at 85 or slightly above. If you notice your cadence dropping-gear down, if it raises too high-gear up. I always listen to my quads too - if they are beginning to hurt - gear down. Hope this helps and I stand to be correct on any of this as I am no expert-this is just what works for me :)

I try to keep cadence at around 90-93, seems to suit me better. The bike is still a learning curve for me, though, that could easily change.

Thursday
    AM
    Into town for a pool session. Found it to be hard work. Cut the final kick session from 200 metres to 100 metres as I was beginning to feel the groin and some calf cramp (plus I really don't like kick session :o)
    Done:
    300m warmup
    8 x 25m drills
    8 x 100m moderate
    7 x 100m threshold
    4 x 25m kick
    300m cooldown
    Total: 2400m

PM
    I bought a Rudy Project Wingspan helmet on eBay and I decided to try it out for the evening bike session. Normally, I see no-one while cycling as I head out early in the morning, but of course, this evening, the one time I wear an aero helmet while out for a spin, I meet every cyclist I know within a 25 mile radius! I was much faster with the helmet, of course :rolleyes:

Route: Lurgan near Maam Cross and back
    Distance: 58.76km
    Time: 1:57:01
    Ave/Max Speed: 30.1kph/56.8kph
    Ave/Max HR: 139/165
    Ave/ Max Cadence: 84/109
    Weather: Warm evening.

Friday
    AM
    Tempo run, the legs almost felt like they were coming from a brick session :(. Like most of my morning tempo sessions, it started out near the right pace, and got progressively slower.

Route: An Sruthán and back
    Distance: 8.05km
    Time: 35:07
    Average Pace: 4:21
    Average/Max HR: 165/186
    Weather: Calm, dry and cool morning

PM
    This was supposed to be a 2500m pool session, but babysitting for my sister meant I wouldn't be able to head into town, and that I was also short on time, so it was down to the lake for a makey-upey session of 250m slow, 250m less slow (I would be reluctant to use the word "fast" in any context for my swimming:D).
    Done: 1800m

Today:
    This was my longest ever session on a bike saddle, 3:30, which says a good bìt about the amount of biking I've done to date! I headed out to Maam Cross and turned right onto the 70.3 course, meeting a few other tri bikes mid-recce. This was the first time I brought food on the bike with me over this training programme, plus brought a second bottle. I have to figure out how many calories consumed etc, but basically I had two gels, two bars and two bottles of carb drink. I won't make sub three hours on the bike if today is anything to go by, but we'll see how things are by September.
    Was conscious of heart rate, tried to keep it down. Some of the road on the course is in rag order, the section between Oughterard and Roscahill is in bits!

Route: Roscahill and back
    Distance: 105.01km
    Time: 3:36:13
    Ave/Max Speed: 29.1kph/49.4kph
    Ave/Max HR: 136/159
    Ave/ Max Cadence: 83/220
    Weather: A warm morning, cooled down by a downpour about 3/4 ways through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

The run is going to be a big unknown on the day, I've no idea how a half marathon will feel after a long bike!

Warning Note-big night on the vino tonight-house wine 10 euros a bottle :o

Like Gibbo, after last years blow out I knew I had to have some type of heart rate plan this year. I had a marathon and more run milage into me last year but I made a silly mistake thinking that once I had the bike over with I could do a decent run with all the endurance distance I had in me, so at least you already have the sense to realise that even though you are capable of a cracking run the bike pace could severely effect it.

The guy I was talking to on the bike in Swinford was hoping for a 1.35 run off a 1.27 pb (I think) and I think he just about broke 2 hours on the run so the dangers of over stretching on the bike is easily done.

You have a few weeks to test your run off the bike - probably the key session for me was an 88k bike at a planned heart rate average in the 120's followed by a run in the 140's of 8k which had an average of low 5 minute ks. I based this loosely on an average heart rate of 140s for the bike in Galway Cope and the duathlons earlier in the year. I would guess your bike heart rate could be higher than this - I struggle to get the heart rate up on the bike, my legs go first!

I am conscious that I didn't have a huge amount of science behind these decisions but I did have a good look at my AHR's over the last few months and had some type of idea about what I could comfortably hold. And I will admit I only ashamedly started to think about keeping to a heart rate when I read Matt Molloys Ironman Austria report - who did the run keeping it in the 140's till near the end.

Well done on the training over in Croatia, Portugal is a bit of a disaster so far as regards the good intentions I had. Went into a bike shop yesterday and they quoted me 35 euros a day for a bike + 2.50 for helmet + 5 for shoes and cleats. I would get a car for cheaper - however I nearly have the hang of tumble turns in the pool ;)

Nice to see I am not the only idiot with the pointy helmet - its awful quiet on the bike with one of them on :P

Today:
    This was my longest ever session on a bike saddle, 3:30, which says a good bìt about the amount of biking I've done to date! I headed out to Maam Cross and turned right onto the 70.3 course, meeting a few other tri bikes mid-recce. This was the first time I brought food on the bike with me over this training programme, plus brought a second bottle. I have to figure out how many calories consumed etc, but basically I had two gels, two bars and two bottles of carb drink. I won't make sub three hours on the bike if today is anything to go by, but we'll see how things are by September.
    Was conscious of heart rate, tried to keep it down. Some of the road on the course is in rag order, the section between Oughterard and Roscahill is in bits!

Route: Roscahill and back
    Distance: 105.01km
    Time: 3:36:13
    Ave/Max Speed: 29.1kph/49.4kph
    Ave/Max HR: 136/159
    Ave/ Max Cadence: 83/220
    Weather: A warm morning, cooled down by a downpour about 3/4 ways through.
    Thanks for that, pgibbo. Your situation for Kenmare two years ago sounds very much like mine now! I'm getting a bike fitting done on Tuesday and I think I'll get the zones sorted then also.
    As for the HR failing, if it does, it does! I'll fall back on a mixture of RPE and cadence. Hopefully, it won't come to that though! The run is going to be a big unknown on the day, I've no idea how a half marathon will feel after a long bike!

I try to keep cadence at around 90-93, seems to suit me better. The bike is still a learning curve for me, though, that could easily change.

Well Ronan, good long bike there. A few more of them between now and Sept and you will be grand on the day.

In relation to the HM off the bike - well the best way to get the 'feel' for that is to do a run off a longish bike. Or instead of running off a long bike, you could try running off a hard bike (hills etc). So anything over 60km you should try to throw a few km in after them. Not on all, just on what you can. then try target 1 or maybe 2 long bike/run bricks. Something like 60km and 12or 14 km run off.

Thanks for that lads, I've done a few runs off the bike but nothing too long... I'll have to have a look at what the plan has in store for the next few weeks, I could do with a challenging brick session...

Sunday
    LSR... was looking for excuses to get out of this one right from the start, and it was only when I had passed my last chance of a turnaround back in the direction of the house that I settled into the run.

Route: Leic, Leitir Móir and back
    Distance: 24.14km
    Time: 1:57:57
    Average Pace: 4:53
    AverageHR: 152
    Weather: Showery, a bit windy

Monday
    Longest swim to date. I was supposed to do it on Sunday evening, but a mixture of heading out to a festival with the family, coupled with one of the young lads opening his chin off a window board, plus my own reluctance and laziness to do the run, meant I put it off until Monday.
    Happy enough with the swim, slow but done.
    Done: 2600m at Trá an Dóilín

Tuesday
    30km on bike, plus bike-fitting session that saw the seatpost on the tri bike come up 2 cm, and the saddle's slope reduced. Cleat positional change also showed an improvement in efficiency, we'll see how it works on the road.

So, what did you decide regarding the LTHR test? Did you do it yesterday? If so, how did it go? Ye keep things close to ye're chest out your neck of the woods! :D

BTW, who did the bike fit for you?

For bricks you can try a few approaches:
    1. Long easy ride with a short fast 5k or so off the bike
    2. Short fast/hard bike with an easy 40 minute run off the bike
    3. 80km ride with a few 30 minute HIM pace intervals with 10 minutes recovery between them and then 20 minutes easy or race pace off hte bike.

Just a few ideas if you want to mix it up a bit.

Ye keep things close to ye're chest out your neck of the woods! :D
    Says the man who won't keep an online log :p
    So, what did you decide regarding the LTHR test? Did you do it yesterday? If so, how did it go?
    I'm planning on doing it tonight... I say planning as I don't know when I get finished at work, and my mother is on to me to hang blinds...
    BTW, who did the bike fit for you?
    James O'Donnell, couldn't recommend it enough. I think he spent about three hours with me fitting the two bikes. He's using a SICI cycle he brought over from the States, it's the only one in the country. He's still waiting for the video-motion analysis bit of the setup but told me to drop in when it arrives to make sure the fitting done yesterday corresponds. Curious to see how the new fit works out on the road...
    For bricks you can try a few approaches:
    1. Long easy ride with a short fast 5k or so off the bike
    2. Short fast/hard bike with an easy 40 minute run off the bike
    3. 80km ride with a few 30 minute HIM pace intervals with 10 minutes recovery between them and then 20 minutes easy or race pace off hte bike.

Just a few ideas if you want to mix it up a bit.
    Cheers for that. Looking forward to your log.:D

LMAO - It would bore you to tears if I wrote a log. No creative juices here! ;)

I got a fit off James before on my first 2 bikes. He's excellent. A friend went to him a few weeks back off my recommendation and is very happy with his fit. He's A1 too. A true gent.

Embrace the pain this evening! :cool:

• Advertisement

LMAO - It would bore you to tears if I wrote a log. No creative juices here! ;)
    Ah, now! You have two distinct advantages over many of us
    1. You know what you're talking about so that would make the log informative
    2. You go for spins with Catweazle, so that would have to make it an entertaining log :D

Advertisement