Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bliain Faoi Thrí

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

ronanmac wrote: »
    I noticed the dead heat alright, I can't get over his bike time, very impressive improvement.

I know I am praying there is hope for me yet, I think I might have been quicker than him on the bike on Swinford or not much in it. But he borrowed a TT bike with a disc wheel for this race. I wonder was it Cancarellas old TT bike with the suspected small engine on it. I cant believe the improvement on Swinford on what I would think is a harder bike in Galway. He paid for it on the run though, he is much quicker than that

Just noticed you pipped El D as well :eek:

You will have a bullseye on your back next time out if he is around!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Triathlon has never struck me as glamorous, but bringing my bike to transition on Saturday afternoon, it felt like as glamorous a triathlon event as ever arrived in Galway. Huge transition (more on that later!), green carpets (carpets outside!), some unbelievable bikes (I never thought I’d come to the stage where I could identify with a syndrome called “aerobar envy”)…

I’ve been reading some of the negative reaction to the organisation on the event thread and I’m a bit confused really. Registration on Friday was as smooth and perfectly organised as could be, the bag and bike drop-offs were clearly explained, and the whole thing was as smooth as you could reasonably expect.

On Saturday night, I stayed in town with a friend, partly for another 45 minutes in bed and also to avoid the recent spate of stupid o’clock wake-up calls as delivered by the eldest of the young lads. As it happened, it took a good while to fall asleep, with bike and run scenarios playing over in my head. After a while, I noticed that I hadn’t dwelt at all on swim scenarios, a mental avoidance of swimming to go along with my physical avoidance of the same discipline.

I finally nodded off, alarm went at 4:45, had a shower, a banana, porridge with chia seeds, sipped on a bottle of carb drink, but shock horror upon shocks of horrors, my friend hadn’t any coffee in the house. Crisis! This was way more serious than any of my dubious phantom injuries (which had cleared up nicely for race day, of course). Crisis was later averted by the business acumen of Salthill coffee shops opening at 5:30am. Two other lads from TríSpórt landed at the house and we headed down to Salthill together. I met pgibbo on the way down to transition. Training must be going well for him, I think he is now lighter than his bike!

When I got to my bike with the repair kit and drinks, I noticed (1) that I was running late for the start of the swim (2) there was a minor gale blowing (3) the almost-permanently south to south west wind had decided to turn easterly, which meant a long slog home on the bike and (4) I only brought along two elastic bands to secure the shoes on the bike, one which inevitably snapped there and then. With the enormity of the whole event beginning to swallow me up, a marshal came around shouting that the swim would be delayed for 20 minutes. Hurrah! As the buoys were being changed. Oh! As the course was being shortened to 750m. Hmmm... My initial reaction should have been “I’ve trained for 1900m, this should be annoying me as I won’t have done a full 70.3.” My reaction, though, was “Yeehaw!”

Swim:
    Along with cutting the swim short, a decision was taken to break the 35-39 age group into two waves, which was just as well, as it was a real kick/punch/elbow fest for the first 100 metres. Sighting was impossible early on, and we all followed each other like sheep into the rocks right of Ladies Beach, before copping on and heading out into the bay. It was a tough enough swim but I’m glad that the discomfort I had with these swims early on in the year has passed. For me, the limit of my ambitions for the swim was a case of getting through it, and that’s how it went. The waves meant it wasn’t a day for bilateral breathing, head strictly to left for most of it. The swim in to shore proved tricky in terms of keeping a straight line, with the waves throwing the direction a bit. It turns out the swim was 1000m as opposed to 750.

Swim Time: 22:58 (574th, 40 per cent)
    Reasonably happy with the swim, anything in the top 50 per cent of the swim is a bonus for me.

T1
    Ashore and into a long, long, long transition. I think the transition was the same as the first 1k of the Salthill 5k (this is not an exaggeration!). It was broken up by a stop at the changing tent, but when I went to grab my bag off the hook, it was already gone. Looked left, right, down at the hooks below, no sign of bag no. 1185. The marshall told me to go down to the changing area and ask if anyone had taken it by mistake. Nope. After a short while, he found the bag at the other side of the tent and brought it to me. Someone had taken it by mistake, and when they realised what had happened, discarded it to one side rather than re-hanging it. Unfortunately, they also discarded one of the arm warmers when they were going through it. My brand-new first ever arm warmers (we didn’t even have time to get to know each other) would go unused (no harm I guess, as the size medium I had bought online were too big for my rather unmuscular arms!)

T1 Time: 7:16 (492th, 34.3 per cent)
    Slow, annoying. I try to keep transition times to a minimum, but mix ups can happen when it’s out of your hands.

Bike
    I eventually got out of that tent, and after a long, long run down to the bike, I pulled on a pair of socks. Another long run from there to the mount line. Going out of Salthill on the bike was great, with the crowds around the beach. Heard a few shouts of support, Catweazle’s newly-aquired distinctive Tuam accent among them!

The plan for the bike was to pace it using HR, cadence and RPE as guides, but I stopped looking at the HR pretty quickly, and stuck with RPE and cadence. The roads were very wet, and with the cousin having put a set of Panaracer slicks on my borrowed Zipps, there was no dramatic cornering in Barna. Going up the hill, there were a few club members out cheering, which helped in reaching the crest. I couldn’t believe the number of people out cheering in Moycullen, given the conditions. Oughterard, in comparison, was a ghost town. I passed over the nicely resurfaced roads and through a very well-manned and vocal feed station. Out past Glengowna Mines, the lead pros came by on the way home. Great to be able to see guys of this calibre on such a normally miserable road! Saw our uber-club member, Joyce, from the club shortly after that. She was having a rough day after coming heavily off the bike a week previously.

There was loads of space on the way out, no fear of drafting, but things bunched up pretty quickly afte the turnaround at Maam Cross. Every time I went to overtake so as not to be stuck in a drafting position, I got hit by a gale of a headwind, and the energy needed to complete the overtaking procedure was a bitch. After Oughterard, though, everyone seemed to disappear and it was one lonely road home after that. I went through the feed station the second time, tried to grab a bit of banana but failed dismally.

After the drag up from Roscahill, I started shivering. I was missing those arm warmers. Through Moycullen, still shivering, not sure what hypothermia felt like, but thought I’d soon know! At this stage, I was beginning to have my doubts about the day. A few lads had passed me, I didn’t want to get into any stupid ego races so I stayed in my own little box. I couldn’t wait to get to the run so that my upper body could warm up, but at the same time, I couldn’t imagine running a half marathon. At this stage, the cadence was beginning to slip, but conscious of the stern lecture I’d get from kennyb3, I refocused and kept the 90+rpm going :).

Coming through Bushypark just outside Galway, someone let a dog off a leash as I was passing someone. Both of us shouted at the dog, he stopped on the centre line and turned back. Phew. This must have been the adrenaline I needed as all of a sudden, I felt better. Going through the grounds of UCG was great, plenty of sharp turns and different scenery to get the brain going again. Into Salthill, and a clean dismount.

Bike Time: 2:50:09 (370th, 25.8 per cent)
    Cadence: 91
    Ave/Max HR: 147/166
    Ave/Max Speed: 31.6kph/52.8kph
    Happy with this, as nothing in training indicated coming ten minutes under three hours. In retrospect, I could have pushed harder, but I’m glad I didn’t, as it helped the run.

T2:
    From the bike, it was once again into a transition that was so long, it could have been standalone event in its own right! Down to the run tent, and another bag mixup, with the volunteer looking for it in the wrong area. He found the bag at the other side of the tent, and with chairs available for changing outside, I decided to take off the wet socks and put on a fresh pair (I don’t think I would have done this if I couldn’t sit down, as I’ve cramped up before leaning down changing into shoes).

T2 Time: 4:37 (164th, 11.4 per cent)
    Another slight delay here, but only a slight delay. Straightforward enough.

Run:
    Getting onto the run was great, although I was a bit distracted at the start, changing the Garmin pace settings from metric to statute, as I can’t make head nor tail of metric pacing. After the solitude of cycling, it was great to see so many people all of a sudden. Familiar faces, pros, graceful runners, people suffering a big bike split, they were all there. One of the familiar faces was pgibbo, who was bounding around with a lovely light gait. I’ve never seen anyone greet so many people during a race. He seemed to know 50 per cent of the triathletes, and about 75 per cent of the spectators (I reckon pgibbo should go for the Presidency, he definitely knows enough people for the vote, and the Phoenix Park would be great for training :D).

The route was as flat as you could find in Galway, but everytime I got off Nimmo’s Pier and out around the Swamp, the wind really hit me and I felt the energy draining. The amount of people and “targets” on course was great for keeping going, though, and I also had to pick up the pace coming around the bottom of Fr Burke Road so as to look good for the parents! I also discovered that my mother doesn’t do subtle cheering! I saw El Director a good few times on the course, as well as a number of club members and a few guys from work who were moonlighting for the Channel 4 crew.

The third lap started feeling like work, though, and going up to the turnaround on the Long Walk, I heard pgibbo behind me, encouraging me to pick it up. I appreciated the encouragement, gibbo, it definitely helped. I then spotted another “target” up ahead, which helped me pick things up a bit. Coming off the run course, onto the last stretch of the prom was a big change, totally deserted of supporters and runners, except one guy who was a few hundred metres ahead. I wondered if catching him before the finishing chute was possible (overtaking in the chute would have been just bad manners!), and when I saw him look back, I reckoned he must have been struggling. I upped the pace and when I came around the corner, he was much closer. Shortly afterwards, I spotted my wife and son for the first time, which was a really nice bonus, and finished my petty overtaking manoeuvre just before the chute. There was great support and atmosphere coming into the finish (cheers for the shout, littlebug!), and it might have been a slightly over-dramatic, two arms in the air finish on my part…. might have been :o

Run Time: 1:35:29 (60th, 4.2 per cent)
    Distance: 21.56km
    Pace: 4:26
    Ave/Max HR: 162/173

The run was my big unknown coming into this, not because I didn’t know what I could run a half marathon in, but what I could run it in after the swim and bike. The first two laps were fairly comfortable, the last one a grind, maybe I could have given it a bit more but was suitably tired at the end. Contented.

I met Joyce on the finish line, having done her TV interviews, unhappy with her day, but that’s what you get when your standards are so high. A massage loosened out my shoulders, which were really tight for some reason. I met the family after that, and having left my towel at home, I spent €18.50 on an Ironman towel that, being unwashed, had so little absorbency that I would have been as well off drying myself down with the trisuit. The shower in Leisureland was great, though, and Máirín, Marcas and I went for dinner afterwards. Later on, I met El D in the Galway Bay Hotel, and some of the lads from home who were on coast guard duty on the day. They said they took a good few out of the water. A canoeist I knew said she reckoned 15 were taken out. We finished the day with 18 club members meeting up for dinner, a great finish to a great day.

Overall, I’m delighted with the time. It’s difficult to judge the swim given distance and conditions, but I wasn’t unhappy with it. I’m definitely happy with the bike, as training suggested a time closer to three hours. I had no idea what the run would be like, so I’ll gladly take 1:35! Of course, given the course change, I’ve yet to run a full HIM, so it’s back again next year!

Thanks to everyone here and on the day for the support, it was all much appreciated.

Overall:
    5:00:27
    155th (10.8%)
    148th male (12.1%)
    33rd 35-39 category (9.7%)

Nutrition:
    Nutrition for the day was relatively straightforward.
    Breakfast:Banana, porridge, about 300ml of Powerbar Isoactive and a coffee.
    Swim: One High5 Isogel about 15 minutes beforehand
    Bike: Two High5 caffeinated Isogels
    One Powerbar Ride bar (chocolate and caramel!)
    Approx 800ml Powerbar Isoactive
    Run: Three High5 caffeinated Isogels
    5 half cups of waters (water at every waterstop except the first)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Ronán you really had a terrific race and I still find it hard to believe that this is your first year! Your run time and transition times are class, they really stand out. I think the few years you have on me stood to you in the endurance steaks ;) seriously man well done on a great first season, ending it in the same way you started it-by beating me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congrats... nice regroup after the hassle in T1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good going Ronán, very good race & report and you seemed to pace it perfectly. Annoying what happened in T1 and it just goes to show you how selfish people are when caught up in their own race to fck someone elses bag to one side without realising what it could do to someones race.
    You seem to have the colours well matched:) would you consider doing the same event next year or will you try something different?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

What can I say? Ya nailed it. :) fabulous job. Can't wait to see what you do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Well done dude. Cracking stuff in your first full season.

Nice to be able to get the loan of a set of Zipps for the race too. :cool:

Personally I think you have a better run in you than what you ran on the day. I think you've neglected your run a bit over the last couple of months to focus on the bike and swim. With the right balance to the 3 disciplines next season I can see you running somewhere between 1:29 and 1:31 off the bike. Great to see the ROI on the bike and swim though! :cool:

Have to say I found the massage after great too. I'll be doing it next year - orders from my OH! :D

Congrats again on a cracking race. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

No missing you in a crowd is there :D Great race Ronan and paced the bike nicely for a super run. Well done and you captured the experience very well in your report too. The most positive spin on it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Well done Ronan fantastic result and well deserved after all the hard work.

Great Report Ronan a sub 5 hour will be well within your reach next year - a bigger ask though in Galway 70.3 I cant get over those transition times. They should move the whole event lock stock and barrel to Salthill park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Fair play Ronán, an-iarracht a bhí ann le haghaidh do chéad bhliain. Anois an leath-maratón taobh istigh de 1:30 agus beidh tú sortáilte :D

Ronán you really had a terrific race and I still find it hard to believe that this is your first year! Your run time and transition times are class, they really stand out. I think the few years you have on me stood to you in the endurance steaks ;) seriously man well done on a great first season, ending it in the same way you started it-by beating me :)
    Thanks El D, but we both know if it was a full-distance swim, I wouldn't have come within an asses roar of you (plus, as I recall, I got the better of you in Ballinrobe only after you closed up with cramp after cycling the 22k in your runners :). You must have forgotten your cycling shoes or something:D).
    Good going Ronán, very good race & report and you seemed to pace it perfectly. Annoying what happened in T1 and it just goes to show you how selfish people are when caught up in their own race to fck someone elses bag to one side without realising what it could do to someones race.
    You seem to have the colours well matched:) would you consider doing the same event next year or will you try something different?
    T1 was annoying at the time, but in retrospect, it probably didn't cost much time. I'll definitely do the same event next year, great atmosphere despite the weather.
    Oryx wrote: »
    What can I say? Ya nailed it. :) fabulous job. Can't wait to see what you do next.
    Thanks, Oryx. I don't know what I'll do next year, other than I know I WON'T be doing an Ironman!
    I'm looking forward to doing some road races over the remainder of the year, as I find them very enjoyable (afterwards anyway!), and my uncertainty about doing the HIM meant I pretty much stuck to that training plan, to the cost of doing races.
    Races for the remainder of 2011:
    Loughrea Triathlon on Sunday (last of the season for me, and the only one I can compare with last year, as this was my first!)
    Dublin Half-Marathon, 17 September, (my wife is doing it as part of her DCM prep, so I thought I'd tag along. No real target, might run without the Garmin for a change).
    Park Run 5k, somewhere in London, 1 October, (over there for the weekend, love these runs!)
    Inis Iron Meain, 15 October (they're supporting our club 10k, so it's reciprocation more than anything else)
    Westport Sea2Summit, 12 November (did no adventure races this year, planning on doing this, but could opt out very easily depending on how I'm feeling:o)
    Waterford Half Marathon, 10 December (my shot at sub 1:30, all eggs in the one basket!)
    Athenry 10k, St Stephen's Day (have a deferred entry from last year)

I wouldn't mind a marathon in Spring, but it all depends on what I can do Waterford in.
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Well done dude. Cracking stuff in your first full season.

Nice to be able to get the loan of a set of Zipps for the race too. :cool:

Personally I think you have a better run in you than what you ran on the day. I think you've neglected your run a bit over the last couple of months to focus on the bike and swim. With the right balance to the 3 disciplines next season I can see you running somewhere between 1:29 and 1:31 off the bike. Great to see the ROI on the bike and swim though! :cool:

Have to say I found the massage after great too. I'll be doing it next year - orders from my OH! :D

Congrats again on a cracking race. :cool:

You're a tough taskmaster, Gibbo! I'd say you'd be a b*tch of a coach, and I mean that as a compliment ;). In hindsight, I did let the running slip a bit, maybe not so much in terms of miles (I've never done much mileage), but in terms of effort. With the focus on bringing on the swimming and cycling, I left the running at a stagnant level. Indeed, if anything, I suspect my run speed is down from last year. I suspect your run time predication for me might be a bit ambitious, but we'll see how things go.
    I'm definitely doing it again next year as well, I look forward to seeing how you would get on if you were racing it, I'm guessing we'd see a very impressive time.
    No missing you in a crowd is there :D Great race Ronan and paced the bike nicely for a super run. Well done and you captured the experience very well in your report too. The most positive spin on it so far.
    Cheers, MCOS. I thought it was a great day overall, especially for a first-time event. The organisers can't be blamed for the weather, and pretty much everything else was nailed on. Some of the complaints are so minor and trifling, IMO, I wonder if people half-expect the organisers to do the race for them as well :rolleyes:
    catweazle wrote: »
    Great Report Ronan a sub 5 hour will be well within your reach next year - a bigger ask though in Galway 70.3 I cant get over those transition times. They should move the whole event lock stock and barrel to Salthill park.
    Thanks, catweazle. I'm not going for any false modesty here, but I really can't see where you're pulling a sub 5 hour prediction out of. Looking at Sunday, my time was 5:00:27. Stick another 20 minutes on that for the full swim. 5:20. If all things go well with the swimming, I might be able to shave 5 minutes off it. 5:15. Despite pgibbo's faith in my running, I don't see too much space for improvement in 1:35. Maybe a minute or two? That would leave me with bringing the bike from 2:50 to 2:35? Chortle!

Thanks, catweazle. I'm not going for any false modesty here, but I really can't see where you're pulling a sub 5 hour prediction out of. Looking at Sunday, my time was 5:00:27. Stick another 20 minutes on that for the full swim. 5:20. If all things go well with the swimming, I might be able to shave 5 minutes off it. 5:15. Despite pgibbo's faith in my running, I don't see too much space for improvement in 1:35. Maybe a minute or two? That would leave me with bringing the bike from 2:50 to 2:35? Chortle!

You are not factoring in your transition times - in a Swinford or Kenmare they will be less then 2 minutes each, you were twelve minutes in Galway so you have a further ten minutes to take off there

Look at Ahbhainns sub 5 in Swinford, 39 minute swim, 2.44 on bike and 1.30 run bringing him in in 4.57. ;)

You are not factoring in your transition times - in a Swinford or Kenmare they will be less then 2 minutes each, you were twelve minutes in Galway so you have a further ten minutes to take off there

Look at Ahbhainns sub 5 in Swinford, 39 minute swim, 2.44 on bike and 1.30 run bringing him in in 4.57. ;)

Stop making me daydream about ridiculous target!!!

Anyway, back to training. I did very little this week, with the calves in bits as the week went on. I'm doing the Loughrea sprint tomorrow, rough enough weather promised but that's been the one consistent with races this year!
    I can't say I'm feeling particularly motivated, but we'll see how it goes.

Thursday
    A short run in the evening, easing up a bit after a mile and half as I was feeling the groin a bit. The run itself felt fine, but the calves were again really tight almost straightaway afterwards.

Route: Rinn and Dóilín loop
    Time: 30:36
    Distance: 6.61km
    Ave Pace: 4:38
    Ave/Max HR: 155/173
    Weather: A gentle evening!

Yesterday
    Another evening session, bike this time. I'm miscalculating the onset of winter, and how early it gets dark now. The first time on the road bike for a while. The legs felt heavy.

Route: Ros an Mhíl loop
    Distance: 27.73km
    Time: 58:13
    Ave/Max Speed: 28.6kph/ 50.1kph
    Ave/Max HR: 136/159
    Ave Cadence: 85
    Weather: Tough work against a stiff south-easterly for the first half of the spin.

After only doing three triathlons all year before last weekend, it was a case of two in a row over the past two weekends. I was particularly keen to do Loughrea as it was the first and only triathlon I had ever done prior to 2011, and wanted to see how things had developed over the past year, especially with the swim.

The comparison was not to be, however, with another miserable day in the west leading to another shortened swim. In a way, it suited me, as my latest arch-nemesis (hi Cian!) and uber-swimmer would be put at a disadvantage, and I had to put things even, after he came in one place and 18 seconds ahead of me at the Brian Boru Olympic, and after both us finished Galway 70.3 in exactly 5:00:27! Now, if that’s not nemesis material…

Swim
    The swim was shortened to 400 metres and all 300+ participants sent off together. You can imagine the bunch-up at the first buoy, only 150 metres from the start due to the shortened course. It was so thick with people, you could almost stand up and walk over them around the buoy.
    The swim was uneventful other than it was rough, between people and waves, with no rhythm in the choppiness of the lake compared to the sea.
    Coming into the shore, I noticed lots of people walking from about waist depth. I kept swimming but noticed one woman was walking faster than I was swimming into the wind. “Feck this”, I thought, and stood up to walk. Thinking that there was no way walking could be more efficient than swimming in that much water, I went back to the front crawl but people were still walking faster than me. Back to walking, only to be greeted by a mocking Catweazle on the pier!

Swim Time: 9:42, 107th, 33.2% (2010: 22:10, 351st, 80%)
    I’ve no benchmark time from last year to compare the swim with, but I was 351st out of the water then, so things must have improved. Very happy to be in the top one-third, but I reckon rough-weather swimming suits hackers like me as it makes it more difficult for the handier middle of pack swimmers to find a rhythm and levels the playing field. For example, I finished in the top 50% here and in Galway last weekend, but the one day of flat water swimming (Brian Boru) had me back in 73%. Just a theory but there might be something in it.

T1
    A bit of hassle getting the suit off, and on the way onto the bike, one of the straps on the side of the shoe broke off, making for an awkward foot into shoe process. The tri shoes on the bike are beginning to fall apart :(

T1: 1:32 (last year 1:26, slower this year despite last year being my first ever wetsuit transition!)

Bike
    With the nemesis posting a blistering time on the bike last weekend, I knew I had to put in a big effort. There was no regard for HR but to pound away. The Loughrea bike course is not a course for speed though (at my level anyway), with few straight sections to up speed, and lots of 90 degree turns and undulations. At one stage, on the one fast section, I was sure I had a puncture as I was getting all sorts of vibration and noise up off the back wheel. When I stopped and looked, the tyre was fine however :confused:.
    A few gusts of wind through hedgerow gaps after one of the last turns had me wobbling a bit, but there was no sign of the nemesis.
    Finally, on the last corner into the Loughrea, I passed him, and while he passed me again as I was taking my feet out of the shoes, we both hit the dismount line at the same time. Game on!

Bike Time: 36:19, 21st, 6.5% (2010: 39:34, 127, 29%)
    Happy with the bike and first time inside the top 10% in a bike split.

T2
    Straightforward, no hassle
    T2 Time: 39 seconds (2010: 1:06)

Run
    Last year’s run was tough as I had torn an adductor muscle somewhere during the race, and just couldn’t get any pace going. I felt good from the start of this run, however, but after about 1.5km, I started feeling what I thought was a stitch on my right side. Every time I tried to up pace, it would get worse, so it was a case of running at a certain speed so as not to aggravate it, but watching some targets ahead not get any closer was frustrating. After about 3km, though, it eased up and I picked up pace a bit. There was a good tussle going on between two lads just ahead of me, and watching them overtake each other repeatedly, I tucked in behind them before the last hill. At the top, I passed them, but there’s nothing as disconcerting as hearing two runners right behind you and not knowing what’s happening. With 200 metres to go, I put in a spurt, heard a reaction from behind but managed to pull away.
    The effort took a bit out of me, as I was puking while coming into the finishing chute, and emptied my stomach of all liquid once I got past the line (if only that poor kid was more patient in taking the chip off my ankle :eek:). This vomiting thing seems to happen a lot over the shorter distances!

Run Time: 19:31, 9th, 2.8% (2010: 21:09, 50th, 11.4%)
    Again, the comparison with 2010 isn’t really valid, as, if anything, I had a bit more speed in the legs then but couldn’t get going on the day. I think the stitch wasn’t a stitch but more of a muscular thing as I still feel the sensation when I breathe in, two days on.
    While I might have improved my run time a bit on the day, I don’t think it would have made any difference to my overall placing. More importantly, I finished ahead of the nemesis (one-all, I might just retire now!)

Overall; 1:07:43, 14th (or 12th if you don’t include pesky relay teams ;), 4.3% (2010: 1:25:25, 151st, 34.4%)

The last triathlon of the season for me, during what has been an eye-opener and a big learning curve. I know what my limitations are (the swim, and there is plenty of improvement to be done on the bike), but I’m delighted to be in the first half of results for 2011, as I was sure I would be further down in the field.

I’ll post a proper review and and 2012 plan later on in the year, but briefly, these are the things that I now know compared to this time last year:
    • Three training sessions a week isn’t a heavy workload
    • Last year, I didn’t own a swim cap. Now, I have nine of them
    • Even if I can’t use them, I now know what HR zones are
    • The wind is a b*tch during cycling
    • The wind is a b*tch during swimming
    • Recovery drinks are an excuse for drinking chocolate
    • Recovery tastes good
    • Getting up to train in the morning is normal, not an exception
    • Triathlon is way more expensive than running
    • Triathlon races tend to be at stupid early times, compared to run races

As for Loughrea triathlon itself, it was another well-organised Predator event, and it was great to have 12 TríSpórt members from what is a very new club participating.

Great way to end the season dude! You are a gutsy performer man as your puking exploits will testify too :) Another great first season trihead on here. Your biking has really come on man big time. The swim with consistent training will also improve believe me. Well done again on your first season and I look forward to our battles in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Well done at the weekend.

One of the first things I checked in the results on Sunday was where yourself and Cian finished! :D Well done. Next year will be interesting for you 2. Your swim will improve, Cian's run will continue to improve and both of your bike splits will improve. Game on! :cool:

Great turnout from your Club. Tri Lakes had 25 there which is great for a club a little over a year old too.

BTW - ditch the chocolate milk and stick to protein with some fruit juice. It's far better and tastes good too. I use 240ml of Kelkin Multivitamin juice with a scoop of either Pulsin or ON protein.

I think your nemesis was the last of the "swimmers" - it was more a less of stream of power waders after that! We might look at some type of pilgrimage route for next year.

The annual walk of Lough Ree of the seven springs

I think your nemesis was the last of the "swimmers" - it was more a less of stream of power waders after that! We might look at some type of pilgrimage route for next year.

The annual walk of Lough Ree of the seven springs

:D:D:D

I think, following the decision to shorten the swim this year, that ye should probably be done with it altogether. Instead, get everyone to suit up in transition as normal, then a small jog down around the pier and back, and into T1. It'd save a lot of water safety hassle...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

I presume this is your good-self as spokesperson?

Serious debut season for the club!

• Advertisement

Izoard wrote: »
    I presume this is your good-self as spokesperson?

Serious debut season for the club!

'Tis indeed. The women in the club are fantastically strong. The men, on the other hand, are a bunch of slackers who write press releases so that they can bask in the reflective glory of the females :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

hey Ronan , i see you put in a target time of 1.30.16 for the Half morro , you goin out with the 90min pacers ? why not sub 90 target ?

Seres wrote: »
    hey Ronan , i see you put in a target time of 1.30.16 for the Half morro , you goin out with the 90min pacers ? why not sub 90 target ?

Hi S,
    The target time was more a time for the sake of putting time down really (a second faster than my PB), as I have no idea what the plan is for tomorrow. I signed up as my wife is doing it as her first half marathon.
    Going out with pacers hasn't really worked for me as yet as I keep falling just short of the target :o 3:15:08 DCM, 1:30:17 Kildare half. I think I'll run on feel initially and if I feel good, take it from there. If not, I'll just enjoy it!
    Hope you have a good run, you going with the 90min pacers?

Hi S,
    The target time was more a time for the sake of putting time down really (a second faster than my PB), as I have no idea what the plan is for tomorrow. I signed up as my wife is doing it as her first half marathon.
    Going out with pacers hasn't really worked for me as yet as I keep falling just short of the target :o 3:15:08 DCM, 1:30:17 Kildare half. I think I'll run on feel initially and if I feel good, take it from there. If not, I'll just enjoy it!
    Hope you have a good run, you going with the 90min pacers?

Ya , my first half so hoping to stick with the 90min pacers . Enjoy the day and hope it goes well for you too , will check in on the log after the race

Good luck today Ronan, not an easy half I must say but you are in good form dude, give it everything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good running today Ronan. Nice chatting to you after the race, sorry if I was a little rude, I was frozen and really needed to start moving again! :pac:

Good running today Ronan. Nice chatting to you after the race, sorry if I was a little rude, I was frozen and really needed to start moving again! :pac:

Nice to meet you RQ, and to put a face to the (user)name! No rudeness noted! Thanks for the shoutout on the course, unexpected support is always a great race bonus!

Wednesday

Intervals, no Garmin. 5 x 500m
    7km approx

Thursday
    Nice run up some bog roads around An Spidéal with the club. Gentle enough until a big effort in the final 2 km.

Route: An Spidéal
    Time: 30:33
    Distance: 6.78km
    Ave Pace: 7:16 min/mile
    Ave/Max HR: 155/173
    Weather: A gentle evening!

Sometimes, the worst days turn out to be good days! Having driven up from a wedding in Conamara the night before, I was no in mood for racing on Saturday morning. The hotel bed was really comfortable, I was tired, and all I wanted to do was go back to sleep. My wife had signed us both up for the Dublin half, as part of her DCM preparation, and without any real target, I had little motivation for the race.

Skip a couple hours forward, and standing in the sub-100 minute corral with a few thousand other people, and seeing the sub-1:30 balloons about fifty rows up ahead, I thought I might as well give it my best seeing as I had come so far. My half marathon PB of 1:30:17 had come last year while trying to stick with pacers, and having had the same thing happen to me at last year’s DCM, where I fell short of the pacer target by 8 seconds, I decided to ignore the tempting green balloons and go on perceived effort.

When the klaxon went, I started weaving between people, and by the time I looked up again, the green balloons were almost out of sight. A combination of the over-ambitious, the inconsiderate and the plain thick had plonked themselves in the first wave of starters and the first mile was spent negotiating obstacles. The crowd thinned out, and settling into a 6:40ish pace, I passed the 1:30 group and hoped I wouldn’t see them pass me later. A shout from Racoon Queen was welcome just before the hilliest section. Not having run a race in the Phoenix Park before, I was surprised at how long the hill went on at around the four mile mark.

The sixth mile, up Chesterfield Avenue, was my slowest at 6:51, but seeing the leaders coming the opposite direction, with their combination of effort and form, was a great fillip. “Focus on form” was my mantra for the next mile and a half. When I got to eight miles, I thought to myself, “now is the time to start racing.” Five miles to go, two and a half miles out and back from the house, easy peasy surely! Keeping the pace going was beginning to prove a little difficult though, especially on the long sections into the wind. I tucked into a group of three others that were moving well, and stuck with them until the group came apart at about 10.5 miles.

The Garmin was annoying me as I was getting a good bit further away from the mile markers every time the mile alert went off. At the eleven mile mark, I figured I could get in under 1:28 if I kept the effort going. The last mile uphill was a tough slog, especially Acres Road, but the target of sub 1:28 kept me going. At 6:23, 6:24 and 6:15, the last 2.26 miles were my fastest, which is a big difference on previous runs where I’ve always faded near the end. Looking back, I reckon the extra fitness base brought on by the cycling and swimming backed up the Furman three day week running.

I finished in 1:27:29, a new and unexpected PB, and delighted.

Afterwards, I bumped into Racoon Queen again, nice to meet you RQ! Had a good chat later with Jackyback, fresh from 1:50 pacing duties. Plus I got to see my wife surpass her ambitions for a great HM debut.

Now for a week off training, and then to pick up a half marathon plan for Waterford.

Done:
    13.1 Miles, in 1:27:29
    251 out of 6080 (4.1%)
    62nd in Category

• Advertisement

great improvement, fairly smashed that pb , we might have brushed shoulders at some stage , i was with the 90min pacers to 9/10miles , came in a min later than you :)

Advertisement