Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

NZ and SARFU have both praised Clancy, his performance and consistency over the Tri Nations championship, which is no easy feat. Especially with a WC coming up all you can ask for from the Referee is consistency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I would agree that Clancy has improved overall in his refereeing. I found him to be a bit of a disaster about 3 years ago. Now I'm just dubious. He is on an upward curve but still gets some things very wrong. As a top official, I can't think of anyone else who has come under the level of public criticism that he has. In the past year alone I can think of 3 incidents where he has been the central figure in incorrect decisions that have cost teams high profile matches and has been publicly criticised by coaches and officials within the game as a result. I would have concerns over his ability to make the big decisions when the pressure comes on.

Hopefully, with experience, he will become more accustomed to this level of pressure and be able to make the correct calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭twinytwo

phog wrote: »
    Most posters would have Nigel Owens up there with the best of the world but I've seen him have howlers too, sometimes refs can have bad days, be blind spotted or have poor assistants that can have a knock-on effect on the poor guy in the middle.

Getting run over by some big south africans dosent help either:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

5551120.jpg

Ireland captain Brian O'Driscoll was "blown away'' by the rapturous welcome at Queenstown Airport on Thursday.
    Hundreds of fans and school-children from the Wakatipu gathered outside the terminal, cheering and singing as the 30-man Rugby World Cup squad and support team touched down in New Zealand.
    The team will spend eight days in the resort training, before their first Group C game against the USA on September 11.
    Fifteen members of the squad, including nine forwards and six backs, are making their first appearance at a World Cup.
    O'Driscoll said the welcoming committee had done an incredible job.
    "We are delighted to finally be here.
    "It's been a huge build-up, particularly over the pre-season,'' he said.
    O'Driscoll led the team out to the airport forecourt, where they were welcomed with a traditional kapa haka and a rousing speech by Queenstown Lakes District Council Mayor Vanessa van Uden.
    The Ireland team kicked off in return with a rendition of singer Christy Moore's Ride On.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/rugby-world-cup/5551129/Musical-welcome-for-the-Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Loving the kiwis with their politically incorrect tricolours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

Loving the kiwis with their politically incorrect tricolours!

Yeah, i had a laugh at the alright. I wonder what Ferris & Best thought of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Not really politically incorrect though is it ? The team does represent and is made up primarily of players from the Republic of Ireland. Just also happens to represent Northern Ireland too. Not incorrect to use either flag in support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Skunkle wrote: »
    Not really politically incorrect though is it ? The team does represent and is made up primarily of players from the Republic of Ireland. Just also happens to represent Northern Ireland too. Not incorrect to use either flag in support.

Using the IRFU flag would have been more correct though. It probably is a protocol error.

Using the Republic of Ireland flag for the Ireland rugby team would be like using the British flag to represent the Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Ya but in fairness I doubt the locals know the extent of the political boundaries that we have here. There was kids there from school who were chosen to come out and welcome the team and I'd hazard a guess that in school they were just taught about Ireland in general hence why they just have the tricolor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

ambid wrote: »
    Using the IRFU flag would have been more correct though. It probably is a protocol error.

Using the Republic of Ireland flag for the Ireland rugby team would be like using the British flag to represent the Lions.

When using a flag to represent them yes but to support them no. Supporting the British and Irish Lions with a British flag is perfectly fine, as is supporting them with a Welsh flag, Irish flag, English flag or Scottish flag as all of those countries are represented by the team as a whole.

Its a messy one I know and the IRFU flag is more suitable but the tri colour isnt necessarily incorrect. I dont think anyway, then again I'm not the flag wavin kind and have been known to be wrong on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭ironingbored

I'm sure the likes of Ferris, Best and Trimble are not going to expect school kids (or principal/organiser) to have read the protocol guidelines back to front to ensure no one's socio-political sensitivities are exposed.

It would be a different issue if the RFU or IRFU were to make the same mistake.

It would be an interesting topic to explore however; the relationship between the Ulster lasd of a Protestant hue and the other players and/or the concept of playing in a united team.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,145 ✭✭✭✭phog

I had the tricolour at the Grand Slam game in Cardiff, after the game I threw to Stringer and he wore it across his shoulders as he paraded around the field. Dont recall too many complaining about tricolurs that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

I always wondered which ones of the ulster players were passionate unionist, nationalists, or didnt really care either way etc. Not saying that it mattered in anyway of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I'm sure the likes of Ferris, Best and Trimble are not going to expect school kids (or principal/organiser) to have read the protocol guidelines back to front to ensure no one's socio-political sensitivities are exposed.

It would be a different issue if the RFU or IRFU were to make the same mistake.

It would be an interesting topic to explore however; the relationship between the Ulster lasd of a Protestant hue and the other players and/or the concept of playing in a united team.

The background of most rugby players from N.I. is that they are from middle class, Unionist families, educated to a high level and have attended State or Independent grammar schools which represent all shades of our society. We may see ourselves primarily as 'British' but we are also Irish. I am happy to have the best of both worlds as I see it. I've been interested and involved in rugby since the 1950s, playing for Methodist College, Queens, Collegians etc.as well as in Wales. I have to say that I have never met any of our internationals from here who ever exhibited any concern at all about playing for our rugby team, or indeed anyone in the rugby fraternity who gave a flying fox for any of our 'politicians' and the sectarian type of politics that sadly seems to be the outsiders view of what happens here. It isn't the real picture by any stretch of the imagination. Most of the political clowns from all shades got short shrift. There have been a few players I'm sure like the unpleasant Davy Tweed although it is fair to say that he did not enter the game through the school route. The only other one I ever met got killed by a land mine in South Africa. There is no need for Rugby and politics to mix. I am happy to say that as a unionist by tradition, I'd have been ecstatic to stand at Lansdowne under the Irish flag alongside the rest of the team. It's the way it has been since Ravenhill no longer had real games. There is no need to change it. I'm not sure what the reaction would be among the 'Irish' players if the shoe were on the other foot as it were, at Ravenhill. To be frank, we couldn't care less.

Irish Rugby is about Ireland. The island and the people. Political boundaries have nothing to do with it. The way it should be imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

While politics shouldn't and generally don't come into it, I do find the comparison between the Lions and Ireland interesting. Irish people tend to get extremely picky about it not being called the British Lions, yet have no problem occasionally treating Ireland as if it just represents this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Yikes it was a tongue-in-cheek comment, no need to get political!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭flynninio

trimble has said if rugby was in olympics he would play for ireland. so i not sure they care a hole lot. i think its the football fans up there that have the hatred etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

flynninio wrote: »
    trimble has said if rugby was in olympics he would play for ireland. so i not sure they care a hole lot. i think its the football fans up there that have the hatred etc

They do?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

trimble has said if rugby was in olympics he would play for ireland.
    I remember that. If Rugby was in the olympics the Olympic Council of Ireland would go to the appropiate affiliate organisation (IRFU) and let them pick the team. If a player chose to play for Team GB the IRFU would be pissed and I doubt they would be picked for Ireland in 6Ns or other internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

In fairness it's on both sides not just "up there"

I'm seriously dubious about Kidney's famed motivation and man management skills at this point. Article in the Independent reveals that Jennings was another person told before his one appearance that he would not be heading to NZ. He knew walking out on the pitch against France that nothing other than pride was on the line for him

I'm sure Jennings is delighted to be travelling to NZ now but he must be under no illusions that he's just there to make up the numbers given that he was told he wasn't going without him ever having played a minute. Makes me think that DK had his mind made up from day one on a lot of things which isn't a good way to select a side.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,145 ✭✭✭✭phog

Kidney was nowhere to be seen. I hope that you're right about it working to their advantage. All I know is that O'Connell was in charge when the lads were behaving like muppets last night.

How would anyone know who was "in charge"? How many groups of adults head out for a night and have someone in charge, never heard of it in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

I really don't know how serious our guys are about the WC. I have a brother in Queenstown who just gave me a pretty shocking report of the lads antics on the lash last night. I'm not a prude but it's just over a week away from serious competition and they are taking the proverbial. Their heads are definitely not in the right place.

I'm very dubious about that Southland article. It's written in a very tabloid suggestive way and it really doesn't sound like quotes Kidney or McNaughton would make. I would highly doubt that the players would be out on the lash a week before KO. A pint or two, but no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Yes, some of the squad were out. The next day was their last down-day (no training at all - full rest-day). Last opportunity to relax in NZ amongst their surroundings before the tournament fully kicks-off in a week.
    They're adults and professional sportsmen and know what is required, so it would be extremely hard to doubt their commitment to the task at hand.
    Everyone, needs to let their hair down at times. Qtown hardly in flames either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

JustinDee wrote: »
    Everyone, needs to let their hair down at times.

No one will argue with the sentiment but I'd be concerned with how much they let their hair down. I'd hope that they don't get carried away.

I'd be more concerned if the squad were based somewhere like Invercargill and tearing their hair out in frustration rather than the current situation. Queenstown is a fantastic spot and somewhere that the team can relax properly when not in training. A happy squad is far more conducive to performing well than a stressed and frustrated panel as was the case in 2007. If some of the team want to go out and have a few pints 8 or 9 days before a match then I don't see a massive issue. They're responsible professionals and I'm sure they'll be focussed 100% from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Look they are grand...it obviously wasn't boozing all the way:
    http://tinyurl.com/3j5xeuc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭twinytwo

GerM wrote: »
    I'm seriously dubious about Kidney's famed motivation and man management skills at this point. Article in the Independent reveals that Jennings was another person told before his one appearance that he would not be heading to NZ. He knew walking out on the pitch against France that nothing other than pride was on the line for him

I'm sure Jennings is delighted to be travelling to NZ now but he must be under no illusions that he's just there to make up the numbers given that he was told he wasn't going without him ever having played a minute. Makes me think that DK had his mind made up from day one on a lot of things which isn't a good way to select a side.

Lets be honest we knew who the vast majority of the 30 were going to be.. that said should jennings have gone in the first place?.. yes he should. Now with wallace gone jennings is the only 7 in the team... god help us if we have to play leamy cause he will just spend all day giving away penos.o Or even worse kidney gets a "bright idea" and plays SOB at 7.:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement