Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

The Book Thief is sitting on my desk at home. Looking forward to reading it now after all the good reviews on this thread!

I've about 50 pages left of A Game of Thrones to read; love it so much :D Going to watch the TV series again after I finish it, seeing as I'll know all the characters and stuff now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Finished "Room" by Emma Donoghue and "What They Teach You At Harvard Business School" by Philip Delves Broughton over the last few days. I hated Room. And I really thought I'd love it as a concept, so it was extra disappointing. It just seemed so convoluted and contrived and try-hard the whole way through, I wish I didn't have a compulsion to finish books because it was a waste of time reading all of it.
    The damn child language thing almost drove me to distraction, can't remember the last time I felt so angry reading a book for a reason other than its subject-matter.

I liked WTTYAHBS, really insightful and well written. I did think he was trying a bit hard too though, he ended up calling HBS
    "a factory for unhappy people" and seemed to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder when it came to looking for internships and the like, it felt as if he was really pushing the agenda that "family life=happiness" throughout the book
    , but overall I really enjoyed it. :) Just started "One Day" by David Nicholls and I know I'm going to love it already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Felt the very same way about Room!
    I read it last year and HATED it!

Emma Donoghue also wrote "Slammerkin", which is a wonderful book (if a little odd) which I read AGES ago, and I was expecting something much better from her with Room. I suppose it must be pretty tough to write in that style for an entire book and that's a bit of a... feat, I guess. I was surprised it got so much recognition tbh, wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

I've about 50 pages left of A Game of Thrones to read; love it so much :D Going to watch the TV series again after I finish it, seeing as I'll know all the characters and stuff now.
    i want to read that but found out that there's a huge queue for it in the library :mad::( oh well, Charlie Byrne's...here i come :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I bought and read The Name of the Wind last week, and absolutely loved it. I'm gonna buy the second book soon, which is apparently even better! :D

I also bought Magician by Raymond E. Feist, and am about halfway through. The amount of books Feist has out is just cronic, I don't know how I'm going to get through them all because I want to start reading Neil Gaiman and Steven Erikson and Richard Dawkins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

0006152465.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭toadpenguin

Just finished the first half of Looking For Alaska and to be honest I'm really nervous about reading the second half (the "After" bit). Everything was so happy in the first half that you only got the sort of sense of impending doom in the last few pages. I have an inkling of what's going to happen but I hope I'm wrong!

The characters in the book are just amazing, and having watched a lot of John Green's videos with his brother on Youtube, I feel like I know the character of Pudge a bit better. For anyone reading the book I'd recommend you watch the video below where John goes to his own high school (which Culver Creek is based on).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

midnights-children.jpg

^ Alas, the cover of my edition isn't as cool as that one. :(

I'm just about halfway through. Very strange book, and a little difficult to get into at first, but really really good. The Satanic Verses was great too, so I'll definitely be getting more of Salman Rushdie' stuff when I've finished this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Just finished CHERUB: Shadow Wave.
    Couldn't find People's Republic in Kilkee natch :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Read 'One Day' by David Nicholls in one day...(hahahaha that actually wasn't planned). Day well spent tbh. Except the ending has left me feeling quite...emotional, for lack of a better word and even slightly spoiling it. Now to see if the movie is a complete train-wreck or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Did anyone else find "The Road" an incredibly difficult book to get into? I started it 2 days ago and I'm only 30 pages in..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Just finished "The Wastelands" , think I'm gonna have to take a break from the Dark Tower books for a few weeks or else i'm gonna start talking like a gunslinger. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Just finished "The Wastelands" , think I'm gonna have to take a break from the Dark Tower books for a few weeks or else i'm gonna start talking like a gunslinger. :D
    You've forgotten the face of your father :P yes i'm this universe's incarnation of Roland :pac:

Just finished reading the latest book in the True Blood books, Dead Reckoning...good book, very easy to read. Think they're much better than the series which has way too many plots going on at once.

Onward to A Game of Thrones now, shaping up to be a good read so far

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

3079ea76-75cb-4440-98e7-43beb98e69b10752865749.jpg

Just started this hopefully it's as god as its tv counterpart!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Ally7 wrote: »
    Did anyone else find "The Road" an incredibly difficult book to get into? I started it 2 days ago and I'm only 30 pages in..............

Quite the opposite, personally. I read it in about 3-5 days. It was remarkably accessible I found. Stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I read 'The Outsider' by Albert Camus in one sitting earlier. Brilliant book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Almost finished Ghostwritten by David Mitchell, so good. It's in nine separate parts so I was afraid it'd feel too much like a collection of short stories rather than a novel, but he interlinks them really cleverly. Definitely going to read Cloud Atlas next

tumblr_lh4wxyuXPP1qaouh8o1_250.jpg

A really excellent book. Overall I thought it was very balanced, though maybe slightly dismissive of Pompey's abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Hi,

I was in a bookshop yesterday and read a bit of the first page and a few bits of middle pages in a book. I didn't buy the book. Now I regret my decision as the bookshop is at the other end of the country. So can anyone tell me what I was reading please? It was in the 'Young Adult' section. Here's what I know (maybe) about the book:

* There was a classroom scene where the question is asked 'what is a friend?' where one reply was ' a friend is someone who returns your texts'
    * There was something about a geography teacher teaching normal geography for a change instead of talking about the end of the world.
    * I think there may have been diary entries
    * I think the protagonist was a girl

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXb3qsClFziZn2zntbhQamB373GlR0rkh-tm2EOlJ8xQK-aVVc
    it's very good,I'm about half way through and the way the devil's outlook changes is done very well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I finished Magician by Raymond E. Feist last week. I really enjoyed it, it was easy to read, and it held my attention for the most part, and I really liked the way Feist skipped bits that really didn't matter, like when people were travelling for weeks between cities. A lot of fantasy books, especially, seem to give every single little detail of the story, which is rarely necessary.

I'll read the next book in the series eventually, but not just yet. I've got Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson, The Night Watch by Sergey Lukyanenko, Storm Front by Jim Butcher to read first, and then I'll decide which series to read first. I've also got A Feast for Crows by George RR Martin, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins.

Right now, I'm dividing my time between the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins and Someone Like You, a selection of short stories by Roald Dahl. And after seeing the SyFy adaptation of Moby Dick yesterday, I'm tempted to try that again.

I'm delighted to be reading again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Oh Jay P, you have so much to look forward to, those books are all fantastic. I must go back and read the Dresden Files from the start - it gets better with each book, btw, and the plot gets more intricate so it's definitely worth reading Storm Front if you're looking for an awesome series. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

In the last 2 days, I've finally gotten back into reading after Irish College took it out of me. Finally nearing the end of A Clash Of Kings, ages after starting it. Onto A Storm of Swords. :D
    Jay P wrote: »
    The Night Watch by Sergey Lukyanenko
    I went to get that book from the library at one stage after reading good things about it here but got "The Night Watch" by Terry Prachett by accident. >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Game Of Thrones finished. BOOM

Conor108 wrote: »
    Game Of Thrones finished. BOOM

The book "A Game Of Thrones" or the whole ASOIAF series up to part 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

The book "A Game Of Thrones" or the whole ASOIAF series up to part 5?

Just the book! I'll find A Clash Of Kings soon.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Finally finished "A Portrait of The Artist As A Young Man" on Saturday morning, three and a half years after I was supposed to read it for college. Incredible book. I'll have to read it again though.

Got through "An Triail" by Máiréad Ní Ghráda on the bus yesterday as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Got through "An Triail" by Máiréad Ní Ghráda on the bus yesterday as well.

Well thats a torture I hope you never have to repeat....oh the horrors of that book and its god damn fimineacht and the evil puta of a mathair!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

tumblr_lh4wxyuXPP1qaouh8o1_250.jpg

A really excellent book. Overall I thought it was very balanced, though maybe slightly dismissive of Pompey's abilities.
    Odd, I read Imperium by Robert Harris at the start of the summer, and just bought Lustrum today. I thought Imperium was fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Well thats a torture I hope you never have to repeat....oh the horrors of that book and its god damn fimineacht and the evil puta of a mathair!

It's actually a very easy play to read! :) The language isn't too complicated, and the characters are either good or bad. The subject matter is awful though, of course.

Advertisement