Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Just started reading American Psycho today. It is a brilliant book, seems completely seperate from the film in my mind, I'm almost finished. It nearly made me change my mind about going out tonight, it's a rather unsettling read in some places, and not necessarily in the places you'd think. The whole tone of the book is cunningly dark. Didn't leave me in a great mood (that's when you know a book is good, when it's gotten to you like that.)

I also learned that discussing it with people on a night out is a bad idea, as it sort of makes you out to be a bit of a nutcase if they haven't read/heard of it- and that's if you describe it quite well. If you feel like skirting around a lot of the stuff that goes on in it, you just make yourself out to be an idiot reading a crappy book.

Made me want to buy some more Edgar Allen Poe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Just started reading American Psycho today. It is a brilliant book, seems completely seperate from the film in my mind, I'm almost finished. It nearly made me change my mind about going out tonight, it's a rather unsettling read in some places, and not necessarily in the places you'd think. The whole tone of the book is cunningly dark. Didn't leave me in a great mood (that's when you know a book is good, when it's gotten to you like that.)

I also learned that discussing it with people on a night out is a bad idea, as it sort of makes you out to be a bit of a nutcase if they haven't read/heard of it- and that's if you describe it quite well. If you feel like skirting around a lot of the stuff that goes on in it, you just make yourself out to be an idiot reading a crappy book.

Made me want to buy some more Edgar Allen Poe too.
    It really isn't the best book to talk to people about unless they have read it and got it. Otherwise you come across as a twisted individual. I ordered it in my library and now the librarian thinks I'm satanic and sacrafice goats in Satan's glory. Ok, she doesn't really but she always gives me odd looks ever since I took it out. Thank god for self-checkout now and not having to deal with her directly because, god knows, I have borrowed some odd books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Jackobyte wrote: »
    It really isn't the best book to talk to people about unless they have read it and got it. Otherwise you come across as a twisted individual. I ordered it in my library and now the librarian thinks I'm satanic and sacrafice goats in Satan's glory. Ok, she doesn't really but she always gives me odd looks ever since I took it out. Thank god for self-checkout now and not having to deal with her directly because, god knows, I have borrowed some odd books.

Well, in fairness, having finished the book, it's the most twisted, stomach churning thing I've read. But brilliant. So I could understand the looks, especially if someone suspected you didn't quite know what you were in for.

I quickly realised my mistake in discussing the book in the smoking area of a pub- casually mentioning: "Hey, have you read the American Psycho? It's about a man to whom all outward appearances is a successful, happy person but is actually a maniacal serial killer!" makes you feel a bit self-conscious when they don't get it.

Which reminds me, I have to return.... some books......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Started Life of Pi the other day. I have finally gotten around to it after owning the book for over a year. I had started it before and half way through I just left it. I have a tendency to do this with most books. 50 pages in and I'm enjoying it. I love reading. It's just a matter of finding the time and patience to get into a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

A friend of mine was watching American Psycho with me on his laptop but left before we finished watching to visit his girlfriend in Cork. When he turned on his laptop in Cork the film starting playing again and it was in the middle of a murder scene... Everyone thought he was some weird sadist.

• Advertisement

I bought a Craig Russel book (one of my favourite authors), 1984 and a Brandon Sanderson novel today. Three for two in Hughes and Hughes - get in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I bought a Craig Russel book (one of my favourite authors), 1984 and a Brandon Sanderson novel today. Three for two in Hughes and Hughes - get in!
    Doubleplusgood! 1984 is such a classic. That book had me absolutely hooked, I definitely have a thing for dystopian novels I reckon.

I've started Alone In Berlin by Hans Fallada. Enjoying it so far. It feels like it's gonna be a great thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

His descriptions of clothes did get on my nerves a bit and it is quite a difficult read,but still a very good book.I love Patrick Bateman as a character,a succesful wall street yuppie who is also a serial killer and sadistic rapist.The ending as well is brilliant and throws up a something which makes you question the entire story.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

His descriptions of clothes did get on my nerves a bit and it is quite a difficult read,but still a very good book.I love Patrick Bateman as a character,a succesful wall street yuppie who is also a serial killer and sadistic rapist.The ending as well is brilliant and throws up a something which makes you question the entire story.

I read a few reviews by other posters here and in the Literature Forum before I read the book itself, so I was prepared for the descriptions. I didn't find them as bad as I'd been led to expect.

I think reading the Ross O'Carroll-Kelly books prepared me for it as well. Paul Howard took a lot of inspiration from the Bateman character in the early RO'C-K novels!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I didn't have any problem with his clothes descriptions at the start but the more you read, the more annoying it got. I got that the reason there were described so much was as an insight into how he thought but after three quarters of the book, it was just too much and I found myself skipping the descriptions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Finished reading All Quiet On The Western Front today. Jaysus, that was a depressing book. Well worth a read, but it will drain the will to live out of you.

Reading Midnight's Children later, gonna make a start on it tonight. Been looking forward to this one for a while having loved The Satanic Verses (once I'd gotten past my initial "wtf is going on?" reaction) so hopefully it'll live up to my expectations! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

I read a few reviews by other posters here and in the Literature Forum before I read the book itself, so I was prepared for the descriptions. I didn't find them as bad as I'd been led to expect.

I think reading the Ross O'Carroll-Kelly books prepared me for it as well. Paul Howard took a lot of inspiration from the Bateman character in the early RO'C-K novels!
    I had absolutely no idea that there would be such detailed descriptions of what everyone was wearing so I did find it a bit of a drag.Great character though.

Just Started Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.Never knew that was where the phrase came from!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

RHunce wrote: »
    Started Life of Pi the other day. I have finally gotten around to it after owning the book for over a year. I had started it before and half way through I just left it. I have a tendency to do this with most books. 50 pages in and I'm enjoying it. I love reading. It's just a matter of finding the time and patience to get into a book.

It's really great! Make sure you finish it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

A Storm Of Swords. Am trying valiantly to finish rereading ASOIAF before July 12th. I suspect I'll fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I just finished 'The Outsider' by Albert Camus. It honestly has changed my perspective on life. I'm getting really into his philosophy of Absurdism.

Going to go read his essay on Absurdism, 'The Myth of Sisyphus', now.

Is Camus' stuff worthwhile? Is it heavy going...? Looks like something I'd like

Read Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" in a shade over 3 hours- really enjoyed it! Very crusoe-esque I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I read David Nicholls' "One Day" in a single sitting today. It was actually very good for a bit'a light reading, I completely welled up towards the end. Would defo recommend.

The 12th is here! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

bythewoods wrote: »
    I read David Nicholls' "One Day" in a single sitting today. It was actually very good for a bit'a light reading, I completely welled up towards the end. Would defo recommend.

I really enjoyed that also :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I have a scary long list of books to read, it's nothing but ridiculous. But the Summer is long, and I've started to love reading again.

I just finished A Clash of Kings a few minutes ago. It's a fracking fantastic book; so many twists, turns and climaxes. It's a great series already after only two books.

The next book is Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I found a copy of it at home, and decided to read it. I need a bit of a break from A Song of Ice and Fire. The books are very long!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm re reading the mediator series by Meg Cabot,It may be aimed at people in their early to mid teens but I enjoy it so feck them anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I'm re reading the mediator series by Meg Cabot,It may be aimed at people in their early to mid teens but I enjoy it so feck them anyhow.
    I'm rereading the Skulduggery Pleasant series which is suppose to be aimed at twelve-year-olds. It's too good for them though, they don't appreciate it!

Lawliet wrote: »
    I'm rereading the Skulduggery Pleasant series which is suppose to be aimed at twelve-year-olds. It's too good for them though, they don't appreciate it!
    I read the first one, it was excellent. Never got round to reading the others though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 oli2

the meaning of things by ac grayling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I haven't read book in aaaages D:

Going to get a library card during the week, I want to tackle Ulysses :pac:

I used to love reading, want to get back into it.

Just finished 1984. It's easy to see what all the fuss is about. In the words of Winston Smith, the best kinds of books are ones that tell you what you already know.

Still on the second Malazan book. So much information. So much epic, wonderful information.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Just finished A Case Of Need by Michael Crichton. Brilliant book, it really makes you think about morals.

I need a list for the summer. Think I'll work through the free classics that came on my Cruz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

I'm reading The Kite Runner at the moment. God, it's amazing. I keep having to take little breaks from it because I find it too intense. Props to almostnever for giving it, and a few other very enjoyable books, to me.

Advertisement