Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running Aimlessly Down Under - From 54 to 53 sec 400m

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Another 6.6km today. Did the first 3.3km in 15:02 (just over 45:30 pace for 10km). Felt extremely comfortable, though I thought I was going quicker. Really is hard to know how fast you are going without a Garmin and when your only reliable marker is after every 3.3km.

Anyway, I upped the pace but still felt comfortable and ran the next 3.3km in 14:29 (sub 44 min pace for 10km). I felt absolutely great. The best I have felt so far, and wasn't particularly tired after. I could easily have kept going at that pace, and gone well under 45 minutes, but I reckon I could have pushed on aswell.

The only slight concern was a small stitch in my side that was appearing with about 400m to go. However I'm not too worried about it. I'm sure I would have ran it off.

I am now very very confident about going sub 45 minutes. But I wonder could I go much quicker than that. I don't want to jump the gun though, so am going to run the first 7-8km at sub 45 min pace and then push on if I am feeling good.

I was thinking of doing 2 more runs before the race on sunday morning. A light run on thursday evening, and an even lighter run on saturday. What do people think?

Now it is time for some roast Kangaroo. High in Protein, low in fat, and most importantly, high in delciousness. :D And dont anybody call me a Skippy Killer :D

I have to say though, I'd swap a PB on sunday for Olympic tickets. Its some farce :mad:

I forgot to update this on thursday evening after my latest run.

After 2 cracking runs on saturday and tuesday, the plan was to run a comfortable 5k. However my shins did not feel good, pretty sore, stiff. Felt like a drunk penguin. So I decided there wasn't anything to be gained from running 5k, and I stopped at 1.92k in 9 mins 50ish. Completely irrelevant the time was.

I was very confident after tuesday's run of going sub 45, but now I wonder did I push myself too much. I've been resting since thursday, so hopefully I will feel good tomorrow morning for the race.

Race is tomorrow at 10.30am (1.30am Irish time). Plan is to run at 4:30 per Km pace for the first 7-8 Km's and see how I'm feeling. All going well I will still be on pace at that stage, and hopefully have enough energy to kick on. We'll see what happens anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck tomorrow with it.

Woddle wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow with it.

Thanks. Bit nervous now. Hoping that I can do myself justice and take advantage of a pretty flat course and run the sort of time that I know I am capable of.

Gave the shins a bit of an icing this evening, which hopefully will help them be in good nick tomorrow.

‎45:24 for 10K this morning in Flemington, a PB by 8 seconds. Sadly the heat and burning aussie sun scuppered my chances of a sub 45, but did somehow manage to muster up enough energy for a 3:54 final kilometre to rescue the PB. Whoever says Melbourne winters are cold need a reality check! Rough oul stuff, dying for the track season so I can get back to the sprints.

All in all, I've got to be happy with the PB, especially the manner of how I battled through feeling like crap.

Race report to follow later.

• Advertisement

Time to give a brief recap of my 10k run yesterday which resulted in a PB, though not as fast as I was hoping for.

The weather was warm. 16 degrees, but cloudless clear blue skies and the burning aussies sun made it feel like a hell of a lot more. Basically it was warm when the wind wasn't blowing, and cool/cold-ish when it was. Typical Melbourne extremes.

The course consisted of a 250m start and then 2 laps of 3.3km and then one more lap of just under 3.3km (probably about 3.1km). Each lap had a nasty short sharp steep hill, which was followed by a very gentle incline. The hills came at bad times (is there ever a good time!) at 2k, 5k and 8k.

The start was a bit of a cramp and it took a good 3-400m to get into my stride properly, when space started opening up.

Went through 3K in around 13:05. Definetely went out too fast, but I felt good. However I messed up my calculations in my head and for some stupid reason thought I was running at 42 minute pace. I started to feel bad at around 4km, when the sun and heat started taking its toll. All my training runs were in the dark cold evenings after work and I wasn't prepared for this sort of weather, which would equate to a warm summers day back home. However the winds were quite chilly, and whenever they came out they provided welcome relief. But when the winds died down I found the heat unbearable.

I struggled up the hill for a 2nd time and reached 5k in 22:20. Devestating. It was then that I realised I got my calculations completely wrong and that I wasn't going near as fast as I thought or felt. If I could keep the pace up I'd run sub 45 minutes but I felt terrible, sapped of all energy as I got to the top of the small steep hill and begun a very gentle slope that now felt like Alp D'uez! I was extremely close to dropping out. The closest I have ever been. I was feeling exhausted, the weather was killing me, and I knew I was not going to be able to sustain the pace for a sub 45.

I got over this brief bad patch and got to 6k. I felt a bit better then and the winds made an appearance at times to help me through and I got a very tiny plastic cup of water at the water station (really could have been done better by the organisers!).

I got to 8k in 36:30. I knew then that the sub 45 just wasn't in me, but if I could do the final 2k in 9 minutes I would go under my PB of 45:32.

However from 8k to 9k was extremely rough. There was the hill for the final time, which once again sapped all energy I had left. At about 8.5km going around the hairpin bend I felt just for a brief moment a little dizzy. Not for very long but I was just completely shatterd and got to 9k in 41:30. DAMN! No chance of a PB even, now I thought and just assumed a sub 46 was my only goal now.

However the final kilometre was a long gentle downhill stretch all the way to about 200m to go when it flattened out. I mustered up all the strength I could, dug deep, and pushed on. One last effort. I didn't want to get to that finish line with any ounce of energy in reserve. I have no idea where I found that energy as I was shattered just 5 minutes previously, but I managed to find a different gear.

I was stunned to see that with 200m to go the PB was on, and I kicked again, and put all my summer sprinting training to good work, and finished very very fast to finish in 45:24, 8 seconds under my previous best.

Although the final Kilometre was downhill, I managed to run it in 3:54 to completely rescue a PB I assumed to be long gone.

It wasn't what I had targetted but you can't turn your nose up at a PB. The race was tough, torture at times, but I managed to run faster than I have done before so I have to be happy.

Afterwards I was talking to my club mates and they all thought the weather was cold, and looked at me like I had 4 heads when I said the heat was unbearable. They actually thought it was COLD. Not cool, but actually COLD! I guess their definition of cold doesn't match ours!

So that is my 4th big PB of the year (excluding field events):

200m : 0:28.2 (from 0:30.2)
    400m : 1:03:9 (from 1:06.2)
    800m : 2:34:9 (from 2:42.0)
    10K : 45:24 (from 45:32)

So what's next?

There is a 15k Athletics Victoria race in Ballarat (1.5 hours from Melbourne). I have no interest in doing a 15K race. A 15K PB would mean nothing to me. It is not a distance that has much allure. However there is a 5K race for juniors on that same day in Ballarat. As I am not registered with AV I run all races as an invitational runner, so my coach said that there is no problem with me running in that race. Even though they are juniors, they are not slow! Some U20's are running 15 mins, Some U14's are operating at 17-18 mins. It is frightening how fast some of them are! Hopefully not all though, as don't want the embarrasment of getting beat by a load of kids.

My 5K PB is 21:02. The goal is to go under 21 minutes!

Ok so further to my race report I now have the official results and where I ranked.

I had done three 10k races previously and on each occasion finished in the top 15%. In fact at the Crookstown 10k in 2009 I finished 78th out of around 600. However this race over here was a completely different ball game altogether.

My 45:24 PB was only good enough for 520th place out of 692. Out of the men I ranked 405th out of 481. Certainly not used to being so far down the field, but this wasn't a "fun run", but in fact a race full of registered club runners and in fact this race was also the Victoria State 10km Championships.

There's a lot of quick runners on these boards who are around sub 3 marathon standard and are operating at 38 minute level for 10k, but even with a time of 38 minutes one would be well down the field in this race, in around 220th place out of the 481 men.

This is another reason why the 15k in 2 weeks time doesnt interest me. I don't want a 15K PB as when am I ever going to get a chance to better it back home as it is not run, but also, there isn't even the chance of a high finish to offset an irrelevant PB. So I am 100% definete about running as an invite in this junior 5K race, and will target my current PB of 21:02.

04072511 wrote: »
    So I am 100% definete about running as an invite in this junior 5K race, and will target my current PB of 21:02.

Ok before I begin, I clearly did not do this 5K :)

Once the dust settled on my 10k PB and the euphoria of taking a massive 8 seconds off my previous best faded away, I realised that I had no interest in training to run this 5K. I found the training runs for the 10K tedious as hell. After work, it would always be hard work to get myself motivated to go for a run in the dark and cold. Once I had managed to get myself out the door and started my run I would always seem to be counting down the minutes until I am finished. That is not fun, and training is supposed to be fun. I guess I do not have the mental endurance to train for distance events.

So I have decided to call it a day on the longer stuff for now and get back to focusing on the track.

I've posted about it in this thread so I won't bother writing about it all again:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056304229

The goal is to go sub 60 seconds for 400m come the summer track season (Oct to Mar). However while the training will be done with 400m in mind, I will still compete in many other events (100, 200, 800, LJ, TJ among others) to help gain points for my club Richmond Harriers, which I am now a full member of.

My current PB is 63.9 seconds for 400m, so I have to take 4 seconds off that time.

Today I did a strength endurance session during lunch. 5 minute jog to the Shrine of Rememberence to warm up. Stretches. Then 6x60 steps up the Shrine of Rememberence, with 3-4 minutes rest in between (Although there is a 20 metre run about half way up the steps which breaks it up a small bit). Then stretches, and then 5 minute cool down run back to the office.

The steps were only about 6 inches in height so was unsure on whether to run up every second step or every step. The first 2 reps I ran up every second step, and then after than I changed to running up every step, which felt like I was doing more work.

Have to say I very much enjoyed the session.

Tomorrow I'm going to the club session and will do whatever the coach tells me to do.

I will be travelling for a good chunk of time over the next 2 and a half months. My coach said that while travelling to try get a session in 3 days a week, but not to stress about it, as it can be hard to follow a structure when backpacking. He said that when the opportunity presents itself and I have a bit of free time then get a 45 minute session in, but if not then do not worry.

Looking forward to a full track season. Only got a taste of it last season and it was bloody fun. My coach is even trying to get me to do a decathlon with him. :)

Went training with the club today on the Tan by the Yarra River, with the iconic MCG overlooking us, the site of Ronnie Delany's Olympic Gold in 1956. I can certainly think of worse places to train that's for sure.

Did 3km warm up in around 15-16 minutes. Then did a Tempo endurance session. Each rep was about 300-350 metres long. Not sure of the exact distance and some were a bit longer than others. I did 6 of them with about 3 minutes rest in between each rep.

We were running with some of the middle distance guys who were doing 6x1km in 3:20. So Myself and one of the other girls who does sprints just ran with them the first third of the way, so I am guessing it was around 77-78 second pace for 400m.

We would then run back before the middle distance guys, so to avoid having too long a gap between each rep.

To be honet it felt pretty easy and even though it was tempo perhaps I should go a tad bit faster. 77-78 for 400m is pretty much cruising when you've run 63. But the coach said not to worry about speed. This time of year is all about endurance and strength.

Then did a 3km warm down in about 16 minutes again back to the club house.

I'm sure the muscles will feel it tomorrow.

In one way its a shame I'm leaving Melbourne because if I was in Melbourne for the next few months I could get quite a structure in place. But travelling will be awesome so I cant complain.

As I will be taking my training "on tour" I might aswell post some pictures of some of the places I have trained, to make the log more interesting.

The Tan on the left of the river.

164390.jpg

The Tan!!

164391.jpg

The MCG!

164392.jpg

The Shrine of Rememberence where I did my steps running session.

164394.jpg

View of the city skyline from the Shrine of Rememberence

164395.jpg

Tempo endurance session today on a straight quiet residential street near my house. I walked 240 steps which should be roughly 200 metres.

I did 5x200 with a walk back rest in between each of about 2 minutes to 2 mins 15.

I had a slight headwind in my face.

Times were:

37-35-34-33-34
    I didn't try to run faster each time, that's just how it worked out. I felt fine after the first 4, but after the 5th one I was toast.

Was operating reasonably comfortably at 67-70 second pace for 400m throughout (except the first rep) so happy with that.

I have hill reps with the club on tuesday and tempo endurance reps with the club on thursday. I'll more than likely do a session at lunch time on monday by myself.

• Advertisement

Woke up with a bit of a sore throat on saturday morning but didn’t take much notice of it and trained saturday afternoon. After a weekend of not a lot of sleep I now feel pretty crappy and will have to cancel my planned session today.

It looks like it could be a gametime decision with regards my hill running session with the club tomorrow evening. DAMN!

Am loading up on the Vitamin C at the moment.

I've already written off the hills for tomorrow :( Feel like sh1t. Hopefully I'll be recovered for thursday's session with the club.

Annoying, but health is more important than any training session.

Right, all bets are off for the moment. :(

I suspect I have a chest infection.:( Have a doctors appointment tomorrow and if I am correct in my assumption then that will mean anti-biotics. So that means probably a couple more weeks without training.

I woke up with a bit of a sore throat on saturday morning. Didnt think much of it and did a hard training session. That must have caused the sore throat to become something much worse. So much for that general guideline of "If it's above the neck, you can run, if it's below the neck dont run". Absolute pure bu11sh1t. Lesson learnt. Do not run if you feel even the slightest bit unwell, above the neck or otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Right, all bets are off for the moment. :(

I suspect I have a chest infection.:( Have a doctors appointment tomorrow and if I am correct in my assumption then that will mean anti-biotics. So that means probably a couple more weeks without training.

I woke up with a bit of a sore throat on saturday morning. Didnt think much of it and did a hard training session. That must have caused the sore throat to become something much worse. So much for that general guideline of "If it's above the neck, you can run, if it's below the neck dont run". Absolute pure bu11sh1t. Lesson learnt. Do not run if you feel even the slightest bit unwell, above the neck or otherwise.

a couple of weeks!!!!!!:eek: It must be pneumonia you have!

a couple of weeks!!!!!!:eek: It must be pneumonia you have!

:D Maybe not a couple of weeks. Went to the doctor last friday and he told me I have some sort of flu that is going around and that I have an infection in my trachea. He put me on anti-biotics for 5 days, twice a day. Tomorrow is my last day on anti-biotics. I'm feeling better now but still not 100% yet. Will take a few days to re-build up my immune system before training again.

I'm currently out in the sticks of Western Victoria doing farm work. Was shovelling sheep sh1t today! :eek::)

I have found a nice dirt track near the house where I am staying that gets virtually no traffic so that is ideal for some tempo sessions. Certainly will be as good as I will get out here anyway.

3 sessions to update.

After 13 days out of training due to a chest infection I got back into it last friday.

Friday: 3x195m Hill with 5 minute recovery. The hills was about 30 degrees do pretty steep.

My times were 49 for the both of the first 2, and then I accidently reset my watch on the 3rd run so dont know how fast. It was tough stuff.

Saturday: 4x230m tempo endurance reps with 3 minute recovery. The first 3 were slightly uphill and the final rep I ran the reverse direction. My times were 50, 49, 48 and 39. So I guess it was more uphill for the first 3 reps than I thought.

Monday: 4x230m tempo endurance reps with 2 and a half min recovery. This time reps 1 and 3 were down hill and reps 2 and 4 were uphill. My times were 39, 46, 39 and 45.

A hill session yesterday (thursday). Not a huge hill and not quite as steep as the one I did last week.

10x75 metres hill, at around 75% with 1 and a half minute walk back rest between each rest. Each rep was 15-16 seconds.

Off to Perth tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Noticing an awful lot of hills in training as of late. Is this as a result of where you are or is it actively doing "hill" training

ecoli wrote: »
    Noticing an awful lot of hills in training as of late. Is this as a result of where you are or is it actively doing "hill" training

A bit of both. I'm trying to divide my training equally between hill strength endurance reps and tempo endurance rep sessions. But as I've been in the sticks of late its been hard to find a completely flat road for my tempo endurance sessions, so they have ended up being a little hilly aswell.

A tempo endurance session on the grass park beside my hostel in Perth today. I think it was pretty flat. Did 5x150m at around 75% with 2 minute walk back break between each rep.

Times were: 28, 26, 26, 26, 27

Wasn't at my best today though. Am struggling with jock itch at the moment. Anybody who has had this before will understand just how uncomfortable running is with it. Excrutiating discomfort.

• Advertisement

More bad news. Under doctor's advice I have to stop running completely until my jock itch is gone. I guess it is not the worst timing as I am heading off tomorrow on a 21 day adventure through the west coast and Kimberleys. There will be plenty of hiking which will keep me in shape, but it is annoying nonetheless.

He also said to only run in cool conditions from now on. Will be ignoring that advice though. The nurse even said that was pure stupid. It would mean never running in Melbourne in summer and missing all track races if I was to go by that. :confused:

Also I am a bit worried that I will end up on a farm (for my regional work) that will require 6 or 7 day weeks rather than 5 day weeks. If this is the case I wouldn't be able to get back to Melbourne at weekends and would miss most of the pre-christmas track meets which would be a killer :( I feel a bit like Christine Ohurugu must have felt in 2008 when she was training away for an Olympics that she didn't know she'd actually get to compete in. Feel a bit like that. Being on the start line for those races in October and November is dependent on me getting lucky and finding a good farm.

Well my jock itch appears to be gone now which is good news, but being honest I don't feel too bad about not training the last 2 weeks. I've been on holiday and it aint really the time to be worrying about training. I'd have struggled to fit in any sessions really as the tour was pretty full on, and even once we arrived at our accomodation you'd need to help out preparing the dinner and all that.

On the plus side the trip had a lot of hiking and that sort of stuff which wont do me any harm. I climbed Mt Bruce the 2nd highest mountain in Western Australia at around 1220m above sea level. We started off at 700m and I had a relaxed attempt at the what our tour guide said was the record on any of his tours, of 62 minutes. It took myself and 2 other lads 74 minutes, but unlike the crazy women who did it in 62 minutes we didn't run all the flat bits, and for the first 10 minutes we stopped a couple of times to look at snakes and stuff. Perhaps we could have got closer. We were the first to the top anyway by a solid 18 minutes.

Starting another tour tomorrow for the next 9 days, which will be pretty jam packed aswell with lots of hiking so I guess I'll leave the specific 400m work til Darwin.

I wrote a blog about the trip for whoever is interested.

http://jamessullivan4.blogspot.com/2011/08/perth-to-broome-australia.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Just found your training log and its a good read (I am most interested in your track exploits ;) )
    Keep up the good work and hope to read more soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Hey James, great log. Hope you enjoy Daegu and look forward to your updates when you get back (unless you get inspired to train over there in the sticky heat!).

My 7 weeks of travelling are over. I had a ball but did no training. It may appear lazy at first, but lets be fair, when you are on holidays, training takes a backseat, and the nice cold bottle of brew by the campfire usually takes precedence! :)

Being serious though, the 21 days trip from Perth to Darwin was very full on. Barely time to breath. Up early each day, arrive into our accomodation around dusk each day. Added to that was the requirement to help out with cooking, washing dishes etc. I was happy to give it a miss, as I knew I wasnt going to go out of shape due to the large amounts of walking, hiking, trekking that we did.

The plan was to get down to business once I got to South Korea, but the weather is something I have never experiences. Incredible discomfort. Humidity levels of 88% that left Olive Loughnane struggling. The sweat was literally dripping off my face, and all I was doing was walking around the city, and to and from the stadium to the subways! Not a chance I was training in that!

So now I am back in Oz and am back working on a farm, with lots of time to kill. Tomorrow I'll start training again. Will continue on with some tempo endurance and hill strength endurance runs for the first week or so and then gradually bring some speed endurance runs into it, as the AV Shield season starts in about 5 weeks time (and goes until February/ March).

First up there is a decathlon in 2 and a half weeks time. I cant hurdle, pole vault or high jump, but should be a bit of craic. How often does one get the chance to do this so why the hell not. Be a good chance to see what shape I am in for the 400m and 100m also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

It may appear lazy at first, but lets be fair, when you are on holidays, training takes a backseat

I ran over 80 mls during the 9 days I was on holiday last week :) Same goes for every holiday i've been on the last few years. It's a drag but the rest of your training is meaningless if you just do nothing while on holidays. Time to HTFU i think!

Just as well i didnt go to Daegu as regards marathon training, that heat and humidity sounds awful for running in.

I ran over 80 mls during the 9 days I was on holiday last week :) .

Your holiday consisted of 9 days watching athletics on the TV :) Mine consisted of 8500 kilometres on a bus!

Anyway what's done is done now. Cant be helped at this stage. Time to get cracking on with things now and look forward. It's a long season, and the faster times will come as the season goes on.

Plan no marathons for Moscow 2013. Last week was awesome. You missed out.

Not only am I looking forward to this track season from an individual point of view, with regards to trying to get my times down in general, go under 60 for 400m, and jump futher in long and triple, but I'm also really looking forward to the buzz of representing the club, and being part of a team, and doing my bit to help us qualify for the shield final at the end of the track season. Would be nice to be able to do the occasional 4x100 and 4x400 also.

Came across our club records here:

http://www.richmondharriers.org.au/?page_id=54

Some very soft records on the women's side.

Went out for 3x300m temp endurance session on a stretch of road right by the house I am staying in at the moment, in the countryside, 1 hour north of Melbourne.

The first 300m I ran towards the house, which meant that the last 100m were slightly uphill. The next two reps I ran in the opposite direction so were naturally a slight bit faster. I took 3-4 minute rests between intervals.

My times were roughly: 59-54-54

I must have left my stopwatch in Daegu as I cant find it anywhere (ironic considering I didn't do any running there!!) so the times were done with handwatch.

The one thing I noticed was that I struggled a fair bit from 200m to 300m, and during that time it felt like I was going a lot harder than 75%. I think I'll have to put some more 300m reps into my training over the next few months to build up some endurance.

I hate doing sessions without being able to measure my performances against the clock, hence the reason why I record them all. But I'm wondering is it really beneficial to be getting so bogged down with times. Being realistic, if I was doing my training on a track, with spikes, I know I'd be doing faster reps for 300m. How much faster I do not know. But running on gravel roads on undulating terrain, in road running shoes perhaps isn't the best conditions for running good times in training. But I look at some of these times and think they are absolutely crap. I wish I could get to a track some day, just to remind myself of the times that I can run, and see what sort of shape I really am in.

Enough rambling for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Your holiday consisted of 9 days watching athletics on the TV :) Mine consisted of 8500 kilometres on a bus!

Anyway what's done is done now. Cant be helped at this stage. Time to get cracking on with things now and look forward. It's a long season, and the faster times will come as the season goes on.

Plan no marathons for Moscow 2013. Last week was awesome. You missed out.

2 years ago in the US we drove 3,000km in 4 days and i managed to squeeze 3 runs in (one in Flagstaff at 6,000 feet) It's possible but a pain in the hole. Its a long season for you from now until Feb anyway, best to peak towards the end. Hope those spikes are holding themselves together!

Yeah the athletics looked awesome alright, not so sure about the city, it looked quite ordinary on the tv, lots of Ballymun like high rises, nothing like Berlin. Moscow 2013 for sure yeah, lets hope London wrestles 2017 from Doha and their bribery!

Advertisement