Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running Aimlessly Down Under - From 54 to 53 sec 400m

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

More bad news. Under doctor's advice I have to stop running completely until my jock itch is gone. I guess it is not the worst timing as I am heading off tomorrow on a 21 day adventure through the west coast and Kimberleys. There will be plenty of hiking which will keep me in shape, but it is annoying nonetheless.

He also said to only run in cool conditions from now on. Will be ignoring that advice though. The nurse even said that was pure stupid. It would mean never running in Melbourne in summer and missing all track races if I was to go by that. :confused:

Also I am a bit worried that I will end up on a farm (for my regional work) that will require 6 or 7 day weeks rather than 5 day weeks. If this is the case I wouldn't be able to get back to Melbourne at weekends and would miss most of the pre-christmas track meets which would be a killer :( I feel a bit like Christine Ohurugu must have felt in 2008 when she was training away for an Olympics that she didn't know she'd actually get to compete in. Feel a bit like that. Being on the start line for those races in October and November is dependent on me getting lucky and finding a good farm.

Well my jock itch appears to be gone now which is good news, but being honest I don't feel too bad about not training the last 2 weeks. I've been on holiday and it aint really the time to be worrying about training. I'd have struggled to fit in any sessions really as the tour was pretty full on, and even once we arrived at our accomodation you'd need to help out preparing the dinner and all that.

On the plus side the trip had a lot of hiking and that sort of stuff which wont do me any harm. I climbed Mt Bruce the 2nd highest mountain in Western Australia at around 1220m above sea level. We started off at 700m and I had a relaxed attempt at the what our tour guide said was the record on any of his tours, of 62 minutes. It took myself and 2 other lads 74 minutes, but unlike the crazy women who did it in 62 minutes we didn't run all the flat bits, and for the first 10 minutes we stopped a couple of times to look at snakes and stuff. Perhaps we could have got closer. We were the first to the top anyway by a solid 18 minutes.

Starting another tour tomorrow for the next 9 days, which will be pretty jam packed aswell with lots of hiking so I guess I'll leave the specific 400m work til Darwin.

I wrote a blog about the trip for whoever is interested.

http://jamessullivan4.blogspot.com/2011/08/perth-to-broome-australia.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Just found your training log and its a good read (I am most interested in your track exploits ;) )
    Keep up the good work and hope to read more soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Hey James, great log. Hope you enjoy Daegu and look forward to your updates when you get back (unless you get inspired to train over there in the sticky heat!).

My 7 weeks of travelling are over. I had a ball but did no training. It may appear lazy at first, but lets be fair, when you are on holidays, training takes a backseat, and the nice cold bottle of brew by the campfire usually takes precedence! :)

Being serious though, the 21 days trip from Perth to Darwin was very full on. Barely time to breath. Up early each day, arrive into our accomodation around dusk each day. Added to that was the requirement to help out with cooking, washing dishes etc. I was happy to give it a miss, as I knew I wasnt going to go out of shape due to the large amounts of walking, hiking, trekking that we did.

The plan was to get down to business once I got to South Korea, but the weather is something I have never experiences. Incredible discomfort. Humidity levels of 88% that left Olive Loughnane struggling. The sweat was literally dripping off my face, and all I was doing was walking around the city, and to and from the stadium to the subways! Not a chance I was training in that!

So now I am back in Oz and am back working on a farm, with lots of time to kill. Tomorrow I'll start training again. Will continue on with some tempo endurance and hill strength endurance runs for the first week or so and then gradually bring some speed endurance runs into it, as the AV Shield season starts in about 5 weeks time (and goes until February/ March).

First up there is a decathlon in 2 and a half weeks time. I cant hurdle, pole vault or high jump, but should be a bit of craic. How often does one get the chance to do this so why the hell not. Be a good chance to see what shape I am in for the 400m and 100m also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

04072511 wrote: »
    It may appear lazy at first, but lets be fair, when you are on holidays, training takes a backseat

I ran over 80 mls during the 9 days I was on holiday last week :) Same goes for every holiday i've been on the last few years. It's a drag but the rest of your training is meaningless if you just do nothing while on holidays. Time to HTFU i think!

Just as well i didnt go to Daegu as regards marathon training, that heat and humidity sounds awful for running in.

I ran over 80 mls during the 9 days I was on holiday last week :) .

Your holiday consisted of 9 days watching athletics on the TV :) Mine consisted of 8500 kilometres on a bus!

Anyway what's done is done now. Cant be helped at this stage. Time to get cracking on with things now and look forward. It's a long season, and the faster times will come as the season goes on.

Plan no marathons for Moscow 2013. Last week was awesome. You missed out.

Not only am I looking forward to this track season from an individual point of view, with regards to trying to get my times down in general, go under 60 for 400m, and jump futher in long and triple, but I'm also really looking forward to the buzz of representing the club, and being part of a team, and doing my bit to help us qualify for the shield final at the end of the track season. Would be nice to be able to do the occasional 4x100 and 4x400 also.

Came across our club records here:

http://www.richmondharriers.org.au/?page_id=54

Some very soft records on the women's side.

Went out for 3x300m temp endurance session on a stretch of road right by the house I am staying in at the moment, in the countryside, 1 hour north of Melbourne.

The first 300m I ran towards the house, which meant that the last 100m were slightly uphill. The next two reps I ran in the opposite direction so were naturally a slight bit faster. I took 3-4 minute rests between intervals.

My times were roughly: 59-54-54

I must have left my stopwatch in Daegu as I cant find it anywhere (ironic considering I didn't do any running there!!) so the times were done with handwatch.

The one thing I noticed was that I struggled a fair bit from 200m to 300m, and during that time it felt like I was going a lot harder than 75%. I think I'll have to put some more 300m reps into my training over the next few months to build up some endurance.

I hate doing sessions without being able to measure my performances against the clock, hence the reason why I record them all. But I'm wondering is it really beneficial to be getting so bogged down with times. Being realistic, if I was doing my training on a track, with spikes, I know I'd be doing faster reps for 300m. How much faster I do not know. But running on gravel roads on undulating terrain, in road running shoes perhaps isn't the best conditions for running good times in training. But I look at some of these times and think they are absolutely crap. I wish I could get to a track some day, just to remind myself of the times that I can run, and see what sort of shape I really am in.

Enough rambling for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Your holiday consisted of 9 days watching athletics on the TV :) Mine consisted of 8500 kilometres on a bus!

Anyway what's done is done now. Cant be helped at this stage. Time to get cracking on with things now and look forward. It's a long season, and the faster times will come as the season goes on.

Plan no marathons for Moscow 2013. Last week was awesome. You missed out.

2 years ago in the US we drove 3,000km in 4 days and i managed to squeeze 3 runs in (one in Flagstaff at 6,000 feet) It's possible but a pain in the hole. Its a long season for you from now until Feb anyway, best to peak towards the end. Hope those spikes are holding themselves together!

Yeah the athletics looked awesome alright, not so sure about the city, it looked quite ordinary on the tv, lots of Ballymun like high rises, nothing like Berlin. Moscow 2013 for sure yeah, lets hope London wrestles 2017 from Doha and their bribery!

2 years ago in the US we drove 3,000km in 4 days and i managed to squeeze 3 runs in (one in Flagstaff at 6,000 feet) It's possible but a pain in the hole. Its a long season for you from now until Feb anyway, best to peak towards the end. Hope those spikes are holding themselves together!

Yeah the athletics looked awesome alright, not so sure about the city, it looked quite ordinary on the tv, lots of Ballymun like high rises, nothing like Berlin. Moscow 2013 for sure yeah, lets hope London wrestles 2017 from Doha and their bribery!

I can't really comment on Daegu too much as a city, as to be honest I did nothing there. Every day consisted of, waking up (sometimes after very little sleep), head to morning session, struggle in the heat and humidity to get back to the hostel, chill in the hostel online for a few hours as temperatures and humidity outside is too uncomfortable for any more walking, and then head to evening session, followed by a bar.

On the rest day I did go to a place nearby called Gyeongju which is the cultural capital of Korea. Probably could have done with a few days there but as I had just 6 hours I just visited 2 UNESCO World Heritage Sites. One a buddhist temple which was pretty nice, and then a grotto up in the mountains, this huge stone made budda statue, some 4 metres in height, and something like 1500 years old. Pretty impressive.

Yeh the spikes are still holding strong I reckon. Missing a spike or two but I think they were like that when you gave them to me anyway.

4x200m tempo endurance reps today, with 2 minute break between each (had to take about 3-4 minutes between the 2nd last and last rep because some auld geezer in a van stopped and started chatting to me just as I was about to run.

The stretch appeared pretty flat. I did reps 1 and 3 going one direction and 2 and 4 in the opposite direction just to be sure how flat it is. Maybe reps 2 and 4 were more downhill and reps 1 and 3 were slighly uphill, but judging by the times the incline (if any) isnt very noticeable.

My times were: 37-35-35-34

I was going at about 80%. Definetely felt better than yesterday. I'm sure if I was to do the exact same exercise on a track the times would be around 30-32, so I guess I shouldnt get too worried by what appear to be slow times.

Did 3x300m on the gravel road with a 3:30 walk back break between each rep. Did them at 75% and this time I felt much better and between 200m and 300m I actually felt like I was going at 75%.

My times were 57-58-56

Much happier with todays session. Will look to get those times down while still maintaining a 75% effort rate. The next day I do 300m reps I'll hopefully be able to up it to 4x300m.

Of course a training session always becomes that bit more interesting when a kangaroo hops past you in the nearby field :)

After a day off yesterday to head back to Melbourne to watch that appalling excuse for a rugby match in the bar, I headed out to the gravel road again today for another tempo endurance session. This time I did Pyramid reps:

100-200-300-200-100 with a walk back rest in between each (about 3-4 minutes).

I was going at about 80% (though felt a bit tired for the last 2 reps after the 300) and my times were:

16-34-53-35-16

I've been doing heel rises every day also to help build up strenth in my calves (an area I was lacking in last season).

On a seperate note, I am competing in a Decathlon competition in less than 2 weeks time and it has dawned on me that I have no clue how to do the high jump and the pole vault, and I know I haven't a hope of jumping over 10 hurdles without falling flat on my face!

While I am only doing this for fun, I still don't want to humiliate myself. My coach is putting on a training session next saturday for some of the field events so hopefully I'll learn a bit about the vertical jumps then, but I'm not sure how much I'll pick up in one training session. I have never held a pole vault before, and havent done the high jump since I was 10 or 11 in primary school, on each occasion I would always fail at the first height. I have never once jumped over the bar successfully.

I've set a very modest target of 2000 points, but judging by the likelihood of scoring almost zero in 3 events, it actually isn't as easy as it sounds.

It's going to be quite comical!

Decided on a hill session today. I did 8x70m hill on the long gravel driveway beside the house I'm currently staying in. I took a 2 minute break in between each rep. There was a nice left hand turn with about 25m to go which is a nice bit of practice running bends, not that thats overly important right now.

My times were:

15(low)-14(mid)-14(low)-14(low)-13(high)-13(high)-14(low)-14(low)

The first 2 reps I was running a bit within myself but the rest I was running pretty close to flat out. I recovered pretty well after each rep. Probably because it was only a 70m rep so takes less out of the body.

Pretty tired now though. Before my session I had spent a good 4 hours shovelling!

• Advertisement

Very pleased with my session today. After spending the day shovelling for the 3rd muscle acheing day in a row it could have been so easy to skip the session but I managed to get myself out there. I went for 5x100m Hill with a 2 minute rest between each rep.

The hill I ran on was out at the back of the house, on the pathway that seperates some of the fields. While the surface was far from perfect and quite uneven, it wasn't gravelly and so I could get a lot more spring and bounce off it. I messed up the timing of my first rep, so I have no idea how fast it was, but it was probably the slowest of the 5. I did the first 2 a bit within myself, and then pushed it more and more after that, going close to all out by the end.

My times were:

? - 19(mid) - 18(low) - 17(mid) - 17(low)

Definetely happy with those times. :)

Was great to be back on the track yesterday and off the gravel roads for one day at least. The coach arranged a bit of a crash course on decathlon:

Long Jump:

Spent a good 40 minutes or so trying to work on technique and to figure out where to start my run up. Jumped 4.50m on one of my early jumps and was in and around 4.30m-4.50m after that. Happy with that as it is pretty much around my PB for the event. Hopefully in competition I can nail a good 4.50m. Given the fact you only get 3 attempts it isn't a given.

Sprint tempo endurance session:

One look at the high hurdles and I immediately passed. I know I can't jump them, and even if I could miraculously get over 10 of them, my time would be appalling and would score barely any decathlon points. So rather than risk injure myself, I sat out the hurdles session and I did my own 3x200m tempo endurance session with a 3 minute rest between rep. For each rep I was a bit within myself for the first 100m and then pushed very hard the last 100m. My times were:

30-30-30

So that basically goes to show the irrelavance of my times on the gravel roads. Happy enough but would like to have maybe hit 29 rather than 30.

Javelin

Spent about 15 minutes throwing the javelin. Really not good at this event and the furthest I got it was about 15m. Bit of a worry also that sometimes when I throw it, the wrong end of the javelin lands first, meaning that it would be a foul.

Pole Vault

This was immense fun, and not as impossible as I thought it would be. Cleared a good few heights once I got the hang of it. The highest I got over was 1.75m (the highest I attempted) and cleared it with a little bit to spare. Such an enjoyable event. Great craic.

High Jump:

No time left to do this properly, but I had a few jumps onto the pole vault mat to practice technique. I can't see me going far in this event, I simply suck at it. I can clear 96cm simply by hurdling so that will get me points, but I'll struggle to go a hell of a lot further than 1.10m I'd say.

Can't wait for next weekend now.

After that monstrous session on saturday, my body was in a heap all day Sunday and not much better today. Combining long jump, sprinting reps, javelin, pole vault and a bit of high jump, I must have used every muscle in my body, and am feeling it now as a result.

Plan for this week is to just have 2 sessions: Tuesday and Thursday evening (or maybe Tues and Wed) and be nicely rested for Saturday morning, the start of a long 2 day competition.

Went out for another hill session today, on the same hill I used last Thursday. This time I did 3x150m reps with 2:30 mins walk back rest between each.

My times were:

28(mid) - 28(mid) - 28(low)

Didn't feel as smooth today as I did last thursday. Legs still feeling a bit heavy, but this session will do me the world of good. Did these reps at around 90%.

Here's some info on the competition this weekend.

http://www.athsvic.org.au/cache/MeetFile/15122Magpie%20Multis%20Flyer.pdf

10 dollars entry fee. Ridiculously good value for 10 events. Why on earth can't they set up events like this in Ireland! Maybe they have Decathlons like this and I'm completely unaware of them, but I certainly have never heard of such events anyway.

Did a 3x300m tempo endurance session on the gravel road this evening with 4 minute walk back rests between each rep. Was going at about 80%, and maybe about 85-90% for the last rep. My times were:

56(low) - 55(low) - 54(mid)

Those times would probably equate to about 49-50 on a track. I feel I am in good shape, and hopefully I can get close to the PB for 400m and knock out a good low 13 second run for 100m.

Expectations for many of the other events are not too high :)

• Advertisement

Right, so am back in Melbourne for the decathlon which starts tomorrow. Kicks off at 10am tomorrow (11 hours time).

I've set a very modest goal for the decathlon of 2000 points, but I'd be very disappointed if I do not reach that. If things go reasonably well in all events then I should be comfortably above it.

A few targets I have set down:

Day 1:

100m - Sub 13.5 secs
    Long Jump - 4.40m +
    Shot Putt - 6m +
    High Jump - 1.10m (I'm hopeless at this)
    400m - Sub 1:05 (PB is 1:03.90, would like to get as close to this as possible)

Day 2:

110m Hurdles - Will have to DNF this. Cant jump high hurdles
    Javelin - 15m +
    Pole Vault - 1.75m +
    Discus - 15m +
    1500m - Sub 5:40 (Not sure what sort of shape I'm in for this, considering I am focusing on sprints now)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is this just your club doing this or is it a competition in the region? Would be ace to give some of that stuff a try, but doesn't seem to be any opportunity to try it here?!

Though knowing me the javelin would probably come straight back down and hit me on the head...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck tomorrow. Be very interested to read how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

that sounds awesome. you won't be able for much Sunday night:D. (is there any chance you can run under the hurdles:rolleyes:) Best of luck with it

Today was a day of some serious thrills and spills. This is a long report, just to warn you all. :D

Firstly to answer RQ's question, the event is set up by a neighbouring club, and a few of the locals clubs (my club included) are invited along to compete.

So bright and early this morning at 10am the Magpie Multi's Decathlon began:

100m

In my heat there was just 3 of us. One of the guys is my club mate and has gone sub 13 before I think. I got out of the blocks ok, and although I lost a bit of ground to him early on, I reeled him in between 50-70m and won easily in 13.33 seconds. However when leaning for the line I lost balance and landed heavily on my knees, gashing them quite badly in the process. No serious damage, but very very sore, and lots of blood. To make things worse, my lean was a waste of time. I found out after that the finish line was actually 10 metres before the REAL finish line on the track. Very odd, and nobody informed us, so the 3 of us were basically sprinting all out for 110m, which probably helped towards me losing my balance.

I was delighted with the result though. The time was what I was hoping for and it was actually into a headwind also. I finished 5th out of the 11 in the senior decathlon event, and more importantly scored 365 points (because it was hand timed, this was taken into the equation when calculating the points).

Long Jump

Maybe the shock of severly grazing my knees didn't help, but I don't want to make excuses, I simply didn't jump to my best. I was hoping to go close to my PB of 4.50m, but it just didn't happen. Last week in training I fouled quite a bit, which I let get into my head a bit, and I fouled 2 of my 3 warm up jumps today. So I was a bit concious of getting points on the board. Things started off reasonable. I was perfect on the board and jumped 4.24m with a 1.9m/s tailwind. Points on the board. This should have been the springboard to some bigger jumps but on the 2nd attempt I fouled, and come the 3rd attempt, I was so fed up of fouling I was actually more focused on hitting the board properly, rather than actually jumping well. I hit the board fine, but the jump was just 4.08m. No good.

So 4.24m was my results and it scored me 245 points.

Shot Putt

To say that this event was a disaster would be an understatement. I can be annoyed all I like (and indeed at the time I was) but in the end of the day I can only blame myself for my complete ignorance towards the event. On my first attempt, I was judged to have fouled, as apparantly I moved the shot away from my neck before releasing, therefore making it more of a throw than any actual putt. I've no doubt that the ruling was correct (who am I to argue), but I observed about 5-6 others get away with doing the exact same thing, which definetely annoyed me. I guess I was more blatent in my foul.

For the 2nd attempt I was a bit unsettled by thsi but one of my competitors had been kind enough to give me a 2 minute crash course on what to do. I threw the shot fine this time, probably a good bit over 5 metres, but stupid me, I walked out of the throwing circle from the side (You have to go out the back), and so they fouled me again. Again, it's my own fault for being so ignorant, but it's a seriously pedantic rule. What benefit did I gain from walking out of the circle from the side rather than the back, AFTER I had already thrown the shot? But the rules are the rules.

I was feeling the pressure for the 3rd attempt big time, but held it together to get something on the board, albeit a pitiful 4.89m, which was good enough for just 185 points, less than I was hoping.

High Jump

I had no expectations going into this and had planned to just hurdle the bar as far as I could go, but low and behold, when I started doing a few warm ups, I was actually clearing the bar via the Fosbery Flop method (albeit at very low heights). So I started at 1.00m and cleared first time. I then cleared 1.03m, 1.06m, 1.09m, 1.12m and 1.15m all at the first attempt. My confidence was soaring. However, most people weren't entering until 1.40m-1.50m (and indeed some didn't enter until 1.75m) so I felt a bit bad about taking so long at such tiny heights and ended up passing at 1.18m and going straight for 1.21m. I don't know what happened, but the first 2 attempts were just not there. Poor efforts. I think I thought about it too much. My 3rd attempt wasn't bad and I nearly nailed it, but it was not to be. When I jumped 1.15m, I was told I was a good 10cm above the bar, but I couldn't reproduce this when it mattered. Still though, I surprised myself and got a good buzz when clearing all those heights (even if they are very very modest indeed).

So 1.15m and an unexpected 159 points from this event.

400m

The big one! The one that mattered the most to me. A bad run here would make it a bad day, a good run would make it a good day. I was drawn in lane 4 (of 6 lanes, lane 1 empty), but with 2 slower people on my outside and 2 fast 59 second runners on my inside, one of them being my coach. I paced myself well the first 200m. Both of them inside me ate up the stagger on me in the first 150m, but I didn't panic. I knew how fast they would run (around 59-60) and knew if I could stay close to them I'd be on for a good one. I sailed past the guy on my outside at the 200m mark (he ran 66 secs in the end), and felt good. I pushed on, and I noticed the 2 lads not getting too far away from me. Coming into the home straight I felt great, and pushed as hard as I could, and if anything I may have closed a small bit on the 2 in front of me, eventually finishing about 10 metres behind them. When I saw the winning time of 60.2 secs, I knew I was on for a PB. But when I saw my time I was over the moon. 61.80 seconds, in my first race of the season. I did not expect that, but to be honest, I felt I was in good shape, and the last 3 weeks work of tempo endurance reps have done wonders for helping me not to tire in the last 100m. In fact at the end of the race I wasnt out of breath as much as I have been in previous races, a clear sign I am getting fitter.

A massive PB, a solid 2.1 seconds faster than my previous best. I know now that the sub 60 seconds is definetely on. But that's for another day. For now I am going to savour the result. :)

Incidently, that performance gave me 350 points.

So at the half way mark, I am on 1304 points. I am well on my way to my modest target of 2000 points, but I am not counting my chickens yet. I have a LOT of weak events tomorrow, and I may need a good 1500m to get me over the line.

But today has very much been a good day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Sounds like alot of fun, well done.

Absolute agony trying to sleep last night with a massive gash on each knee and another one on my right elbow. Not fun.

But I'll soldier on. Day 2 starts in about 3 hours.

The wheels certainly came off today, in spectacular fashion. I didn't sleep particularly well due to the pain of the huge grazes on both my knees and my right elbow, but I didn't for a second think it would affect my performance. After all, I had run a 61.80 second 400m a few hours after the fall. However, my knowledge of the human body is not up to scratch, and what I should have done was put some sort of moisturiser on the wounds before going to bed. When I woke, part of the wounds were forming a scab, and consequently this began to restrict my movement. When I would try to bend my knees it would hurt unbearably at times. It got worse throughout the day and no matter what I tried nothing would work. One of the women from the Collingwood Harriers club who were running the event bandaged me up, and for awhile I felt better and thought it could get me through the last 3 events, but the relief was temporary. I was simply in agony all day. The stinging was extremely uncomfortable.

Day 2 started off with the hurdles, which I basically didn't attempt. In order to be allowed to continue the competition you have to start the event. So that required the rather pointless exercise of me drawing a lane, getting set in my blocks, and jogging for about 10 metres as far as the first hurdle before stepping off the track. Pretty silly, but if I didn't start the event I wouldnt have been allowed to continue with the decathlon so that's the way it is. I had allowed for zero points in the 110m Hurdles so nothing lost, and I entered the last 4 events confident.

However, the discus didnt go to plan. I had thrown around 14.5 metres earlier in the year, but this time my best was a poor 13.59m on my first attempt which gained me just 155 points. Still though, with just 541 points to get from the final 3 events, the 2000 point target looked to be a formality, given the fact that the points in the 1500m are very generous.

However, this is when I really started to feel uncomfortable (as described above) and the physical pain, and the emotional frustration and worry that went with it basically scuppered my chance of doing anything in the pole vault. I was very hesitant when trying to run fast because of the stinging pain of the gashes on my knees. I seemed to forget literally everything I learnt in training last week and everything I had done so well, and basically couldn't clear a height if my life depended on it. Last week I cleared 1.75m on my one and only attempt at that height. This week I failed all 3 attempts at 1.50m (the opening height). Not only were they fails, but they were awful fails. I wasn't even close. Zero points, and with my body basically in a heap at this stage I knew the 2000 points was pretty much now out of reach.

Entering the Javelin I had pretty much lost heart and didn't want to be at the track anymore. I didn't bother warming up. I just wanted to sit down and not move a muscle in my legs, in order to minimise the pain. I fouled attempts 1 and 3, and with my 2nd attempt got around 10.5 metres, scoring 45 points I think.

I now needed over 500 points in the 1500m, which equated to 5:15ish, which would basically be operating at a pace right on my PB. I wouldn't be able to run that now even if I was feeling healthy (given the fact I am now focusing on sprints and not middle distance), but with my body in a heap, it was absolutely impossible. I literally saw no point in running around the track in over 6 minutes, in absolute pain, and risk doing myself longer term damage, so I made the sensible decision to pull the plug on the whole thing. In order for my points to count I had to start the 1500m (same deal as the hurdles). I wasn't bothered but a few people convinced me to, so that at least I would get a final score in the decathlon (not that the score meant much to me at this stage), so I went over to the start line, and walked about 400m and then stepped off the track, just to guarantee I wasn't DQ'ed from the entire event.

So today really has been a day to forget. 1304 points yesterday, something like 190 today. Of all the events to have an accident in, I would have thought the 100m would have been the most unlikeliest of the lot, but there ya go. It certainly made life hell for me on day 2, but even if I hadn't had this accident, there's no denying that a decathlon is tough going. Just because you aren't doing a lot of running for most events doesnt mean it doesnt take a lot out of you. Sebastian Coe once described the Decathlon as 9 Mickey Mouse events and slow 1500m, but in reality that is just Seb being an asshole. The event is gruelling and I have the utmost respect for the elite guys who do it. They may not be world class in any of the 10 events individually, but bloody hell, they are world class athletes. To train for 10 very different events and to perform at a high level in each (well, excluding the 1500m, which usually sees slow times) deserves respect.

Feelings at the moment are a bit of disappointment that I couldn't finish off this competition the way I would liked to, but I PB'ed in my main event so in the end of the day that's what matters the most. My main concern now is to get these damn wounds healed up so I can get back training. I'll probably have to wait 4-5 days before running again (could be less, could be way more, have no idea), as right now it is too uncomfortable to bend my knees. The pain is currently excrutiating. This is extremely frustrating as after my great run in the 400m I really want to push on in training, but there isn't a lot I can do about this at the moment. Just have to be patient. But definetely not in a good mood at the moment over this pain :(

A lot of ups and downs over the 2 days, but it certainly was an experience anyway. That's for sure.

I forgot to mention I am currently working on a sheep farm to get my 2nd year visa. Started on this farm today. It really isn't the best way to help heal these wounds! :( Just gotta keep them covered when working to avoid infection. But bloody hell, each living second of the working day is agony!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Have you cleaned them out? Savlon is heroic for that, lashings of it - numerous times a day.

• Advertisement

Have you cleaned them out? Savlon is heroic for that, lashings of it - numerous times a day.

Yeh have put disinfectant on them a few times now, as well as dabbing them in the shower. I covered them up today with plasters and a compression sock on each leg. Took me 35 minutes to take the plasters off my hairiest of legs. Will have to seek out an alternative method tomorrow. Bandages maybe. That pain is unbearable. I don't know how women do that waxing crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Sorry to here it went a bit pear shaped at the end, but fair play for giving it a shot. Very, very interesting. Hopefully you'll be for another shot at this ?

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Sorry to here it went a bit pear shaped at the end, but fair play for giving it a shot. Very, very interesting. Hopefully you'll be for another shot at this ?

Ah I'll give it another go, but probably will limit myself to one a year, or if there's one at the end of the season when everything is winding down then I may do one. At this stage I'm better off sticking to what I'm good at, and leaving stuff like high jump, pole vault and the throwing events to the freaks who are able to do that stuff so well.

Ugh, these gashes are going to take an age to heal. Could be another week out of running. For the moment I'm going to do some heel raises, morning and night, each day until I can run again (to build up strength in my calves and to keep me sane!). I should be on top of the world given the fact I ran 61 seconds on saturday, but instead my knees have me a bit down in the dumps! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Ah I'll give it another go, but probably will limit myself to one a year, or if there's one at the end of the season when everything is winding down then I may do one. At this stage I'm better off sticking to what I'm good at, and leaving stuff like high jump, pole vault and the throwing events to the freaks who are able to do that stuff so well.

Ugh, these gashes are going to take an age to heal. Could be another week out of running. For the moment I'm going to do some heel raises, morning and night, each day until I can run again (to build up strength in my calves and to keep me sane!). I should be on top of the world given the fact I ran 61 seconds on saturday, but instead my knees have me a bit down in the dumps! :(

Having fun is the main thing, seemed like a good day and if your going to target 400m then no need to be doing the 1500m.
    High jump is a funny event 1.15 seems really easy(but its not), but I was once called the worst high jumper in ireland by a fairly wll known coach.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Having fun is the main thing, seemed like a good day and if your going to target 400m then no need to be doing the 1500m.
    High jump is a funny event 1.15 seems really easy(but its not), but I was once called the worst high jumper in ireland by a fairly wll known coach.

Haha, who was the coach?

Yeh, I enjoyed the high jump actually. Went way higher than I thought I could have, and I reckon with practice I could lump a fair few more centimetres onto that height.

The throws however are something I should stay away from. Could do myself some serious damage doing them, considering I have feck all technique. Watching Thorkildsen on the TV can only get you so far!

Haha, who was the coach?

Yeh, I enjoyed the high jump actually. Went way higher than I thought I could have, and I reckon with practice I could lump a fair few more centimetres onto that height.

The throws however are something I should stay away from. Could do myself some serious damage doing them, considering I have feck all technique. Watching Thorkildsen on the TV can only get you so far!
    John Shields way back when he was a with Raheny.

shels4ever wrote: »
    John Shields way back when he was a with Raheny.

Well if he ever met me, he'd be calling me the worst Javelin thrower in all of Ireland, or at least the worst Irish Javelin thrower currently living in Australia. There's kids who can throw that damn thing further than me. Actual kids, who were too young to remember the Athens Olympics!

Well if he ever met me, he'd be calling me the worst Javelin thrower in all of Ireland, or at least the worst Irish Javelin thrower currently living in Australia. There's kids who can throw that damn thing further than me. Actual kids, who were too young to remember the Athens Olympics!
    Its all about time invested in it, if you worked on it i'm srue you could do better. Did a few session in santry with multi events years ago, just remember be scared of the pole vault, only did 1 hour trying to jump onto the mat alone was scary never mind with a bar.
    hurdles were a nightmare to, did some drills when I was giving the steplechase a go, and its one hard event . Have lots of respect for anyone makign it to the finish line in a 110h race never mins sub 13 second runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Sounds absolutely fantastic, something I've always wanted to try!
    Must talk to my own clubmates to see if we can organise something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Shame you didn't get a proper run at day 2, but I enjoyed reading about the experience. Nice to get some info from one the other sports we don't often get to see here. Skinned both my knees the week before my last ultra and trying to run for the next few days was a horrific experience. Keep applying the moisturizer and try some Arnica tablets (if you can get your hands on them), which should help the wound heal quicker.

Knees starting to feel a bit better. Tomorrow still may be a bit ambitious and a touch too early to get back training but I'll see how things go. If I don't get a run in by friday afternoon, then I'll just wait till Monday. Saturday is AFL Grand Final day in Melbourne (a BIG BIG deal down here) so I plan on having a messy one. I hope that by Monday I will be ready to run properly again. Hoping that 5 more days and I should be in decent nick. Will take an age before my knees look decent again though.

A couple of sessions to report on. Managed to get out on Thursday and Friday and my knees felt fine when running. Threw lots of antiseptic moisturiser on them (they are still stinging though).

Thursday:[/U]

4x210m, with 3 minute rest between each rep. I originally thought I had measured out 200m but when I saw my times I double checked and it was actually 210m. Ran them at about 75%, but I felt like crap and my body wouldnt let me go faster than 75%.

My times were: 37-36-36-?(messed up the timing)

I guess that translates to a 35 and 34(high) for 200m, but given I am now running on a paved road rather than a gravel road I thought I'd go faster. My shins were talking to me a bit on the last 2 reps also.

Friday:

4x200m, with 3 minute rest between each rep. Probably did these at around 80%, a little harder than the previous day, and I felt better and ran faster.

My times were: ?(messed up the timing) - 33(high) - 33(high) - 34(low)

For some reason my shins feel a bit more sore after the sessions the last couple of days than they usually do. Maybe the fact it is a paved road now rather than gravel road before.

Have some pics from the Decathlon:

Decathlon 1.jpg

Decathlon 2.jpg

Decathlon 3.jpg

Decathlon 4.jpg

Decathlon 5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

Just stumbled upon this log now...enjoyed reading the trials and tribulations of your decathlon venture. Sounds good craic all the same!! Makes you appreciate how hard it is for the elite decathletes...1,500m at the end of a gruelling competition, usually being held together by sticky tape. It was good how you described how you felt heading into each of the disciplines both physically and mentally. Fair play to you anyway for giving it a go!!

I'm really glad I got some sessions in last thursday and friday because it looks like I will be on the sidelines again for a while :(

On Saturday, my skinned knees again started hurting... really hurting. Stinging like mad. The fact I had jeans on did not help, as the rough material kept rubbing off the wounds. At the end of the night I was actually close to tears (slight exaggeration) with the discomfort, as I desperately tried to find a taxi (Melbourne has a serious shortage of taxi's!!), with my jeans rolled right up past my knees. Not fun.

So on Sunday, I got back into Benalla at around 3pm, and went in search of a hospital. Couldnt take this any more. A very kind middle aged couple offered to drive me and came into the hospital with me. It's amazing home kind some people can be. Thankfully, the nurse said that I wouldn't be needing a doctor (thus saving me a lot of money and the hassle of claiming off the VHI). She said it is not particularly infected and that the wound looks exactly like it should 8 days after that sort of accident. She cleaned the wounds out, put dressing over each and said to keep it on for 5 days. She said that running is going to slow the healing process, and the more I rest my legs the quicker it will heal (difficult when doing farm work!!). So I better take her advice and not run for the next few days. Hopefully I can get back running on Thursday and Friday again this week. So incredibly frustrating. I felt I was in the shape to smash my 200m PB on Saturday week, but now with such a lack of training behind me over last week and this week, I am worried I may lose the fitness I have built up recently :mad:

Also, the next time I run a 100m race is going to be tough mentally. This injury hasn't been a lot of fun, and it is sure to be in the back of my mind next time I am running the distance. Be tough to block it out and run 100%. This even happens to the elites. I remember Derval O'Rourke saying in an interview to the BBC after her silver in Barcelona that she had had a bad fall earlier in the year and it really took her awhile to get over it and really run hard at the hurdles!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Come on horse, you are making a meal out of this. The fact you are saying it will affect means it will affect you. It's no big deal. I coach 16 year old girls and this has happened and they are up and at it and it's no bother. Change of mindset. Looking forward to getting back out there. These things happen, won't happen again. Just need to run through the line. At least you don't have 3.5 foot barriers in your way. Stop saying this will affect you, start saying you are looking forward to racing again.

Do some strength work while laid up. Check Racoon Queen log for great core workout.

thirtyfoot wrote: »
    Come on horse, you are making a meal out of this. The fact you are saying it will affect means it will affect you. It's no big deal. I coach 16 year old girls and this has happened and they are up and at it and it's no bother. Change of mindset. Looking forward to getting back out there. These things happen, won't happen again. Just need to run through the line. At least you don't have 3.5 foot barriers in your way. Stop saying this will affect you, start saying you are looking forward to racing again.

Do some strength work while laid up. Check Racoon Queen log for great core workout.

You're right, just need to run hard at it first time back and it will be out of my mind then. The fall didn't affect my mindset for the 400m later that day which is a good thing at least, even if it is a different event.

Knees feeling a lot better now. They've been covered for over 72 hours now and it seems to be doing the trick. To be honest I'd easily be able to run tonight but I'll air on the side of caution and wait until tomorrow for fear that I may slow the healing process by getting back into training a bit earlier than planned.

I've been doing core exercises in the meantime and will be incorporating them into my training from now on (though not updating all these sessions on this log as that would be fair boring and repetitive to type and read!).

At the moment, along with my heel rises, I am doing planks (normal 2x10 secs, and side 2x10 secs on right and 2x10 secs on left), Push ups 2x10 push ups, Back bridges 3x10 seconds, and Hip rises 3x10 seconds. The Hip Rises are tough and am not sure how well I am doing them. Will try to bump up the planks and push-ups over the coming days.

Any advice as to what other core exercises may help please let me know. I dont have any equipment or access to a gym so cant do weights.

So 10 days til the first AV Shield race of the year. I've got the 200m, 800m and 4x400m relay that day (and Triple Jump if it doesn't get in the way of the other stuff. These are the events I have on Program 1 which is used for AV Shield meets 1,3,5,7,9,11. The 800m is run straight after the 200m which is a problem. I'd have rathered a break between the 2, and it will be tough to chase fast times in both events each day, so I guess it is a case of prioritising on each day. I'll be targetting the 200m and a PB on saturday week, so the 800m time may suffer. On other weeks I may skip the 2 to have a proper crack at the 8.

Program 2 is more staright forward, and runs on AV Shield meets 2,4,6,8,10 and 12. I have the 100m, 400m and Long Jump on that day. The 100m is on early and theres a long break between that event and the 400m, so there's no problems with regards this Program and I should be able to do these 3 events for each meet.

These 7 events (100, 200, 400, 800, LJ, TJ and 4x4) are the only events I am doing throughout the year I have decided. The only way I'll do any other events is if the club really needs somebody badly to take part in one of the other events to score points. This happens from time to time in the throwing events. But I hope not to have to do any of them as I fairly suck at them. I have no interest in running a 1500m/Mile race this year and 800m is as far as I will go.

Not setting limits on myself, but have some inicial goals for the following events (some easier than others):

100m - Sub 13 (Current PB 13.40 into a headwind)
    200m - Sub 27 (Current PB 28.20, should easily beat that next weekend hopefully)
    400m - Sub 60 (Current PB 61.80)
    800m - Sub 2:25 (Current PB 2:34.90)
    LJ - 4.75m (Current PB 4.50m in practice, only 4.24m in competition)
    TJ - 10m (Current PB 8.93m on my one and only competition. Had never attempted it in training before or since)

The jumps and the 800m are a bit of side venture. The sprints in general, and 400m in particular are the main focus.

Let the games begin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

I'm really glad I got some sessions in last thursday and friday because it looks like I will be on the sidelines again for a while :(

On Saturday, my skinned knees again started hurting... really hurting. Stinging like mad. The fact I had jeans on did not help, as the rough material kept rubbing off the wounds. At the end of the night I was actually close to tears (slight exaggeration) with the discomfort, as I desperately tried to find a taxi (Melbourne has a serious shortage of taxi's!!), with my jeans rolled right up past my knees. Not fun.

So on Sunday, I got back into Benalla at around 3pm, and went in search of a hospital. Couldnt take this any more. A very kind middle aged couple offered to drive me and came into the hospital with me. It's amazing home kind some people can be. Thankfully, the nurse said that I wouldn't be needing a doctor (thus saving me a lot of money and the hassle of claiming off the VHI). She said it is not particularly infected and that the wound looks exactly like it should 8 days after that sort of accident. She cleaned the wounds out, put dressing over each and said to keep it on for 5 days. She said that running is going to slow the healing process, and the more I rest my legs the quicker it will heal (difficult when doing farm work!!). So I better take her advice and not run for the next few days. Hopefully I can get back running on Thursday and Friday again this week. So incredibly frustrating. I felt I was in the shape to smash my 200m PB on Saturday week, but now with such a lack of training behind me over last week and this week, I am worried I may lose the fitness I have built up recently :mad:

Also, the next time I run a 100m race is going to be tough mentally. This injury hasn't been a lot of fun, and it is sure to be in the back of my mind next time I am running the distance. Be tough to block it out and run 100%. This even happens to the elites. I remember Derval O'Rourke saying in an interview to the BBC after her silver in Barcelona that she had had a bad fall earlier in the year and it really took her awhile to get over it and really run hard at the hurdles!

I'd swap a hamstring tear for two skint knees any day of the week. You have little to worry about.

Got back out training this evening. However I didnt have a lot of time between the time I finished work and the time I was due to head over to the host family for dinner so rather than run 5 minutes to the paved road and have to run 5 minutes back, I ran on a crappy country laneway by the house I am living in. This will not be a regular occurance but I was toght for time. I quickly scanned the lane to make sure it was safe for running on and it was fine (though I was cautious when running just incase I stepped on a rock or into a pothole, but generally speaking it was fine).

I left the watch behind as times on this road are irrelevant. It was more about effort than anything. Did 5x150m at about 70% with just 1 min 30 secs between each rep.

Good to get back out there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement